Straying from the path

I'm contemplating an entirely new use of the concept 'titles' where I'd make them unrestricted to classes and just have a pool of workers in more or less the same weight class (for women as they are close anyway) and host a 16-man supertournament to crown a fourth champion, alongside the three already there. I'd have "four horse(wo)men" of sorts. It'd actually just be a loose or flexible approach. The plus is that you can market more on a personal level, taking into account relationships and camp feuds. The bad thing is that they might refuse openweight bouts. I'd have to set it to 135 max and just poach other companies. Also, rankings-freaks might be disappointed that fighters will not appear there a lot.

In the C-verse context, I find Hope Lehane is almost untouchable, but when she does descent to the 135 pool, she tends to get beat by better overall fighters. This would be more exciting for me to play.

You can even 'theme' it up a little, with one belt having a more striking flavor and a grappling flavor. You can call it the Iron Belt and have it being contended over 60-minute matches, and another one 10x3 minutes. The whole prospect excites me because I never really strayed from the UFC formula. Unfortunately, weight classes are static and can't overlap and you can't assign rulesets to belts or classes.

Archived