GAMMA: My Dynasty - Part 2

I've finally got my laptop repaired and I'm going to resume my old GAMMA Dynasty. Luckily, when my laptop died I'd just run my December 2003 Event: GAMMA 67: Fujimoto vs Foster. This means I'm starting this new thread from 1st January 2004. I'm going to recap what's happened so far so you don't need to have read the previous thread. However, if you want to, it's right here: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529927

For those of you who haven't read my dynasty before, it's not that flashy but is written from my point of view as the actual player of the game. I explain my decisions as to why I book certain matches and try and demonstrate how I build certain fighters. Discussion is encouraged so any questions just put them on the thread.

AWARDS 2003

The last bit of business from the previous thread is the year end rewards. Reviewing these should also help jog my memory a bit.

Fighter of the Year: Fjodor Kanchelskis (19-0)

Kanchelskis defended his title twice this year, beating both Braulio Moura and Neil Napier by KO.

Company of the Year: GAMMA

Rookie of the Year: Dale Cronin (2-0)

A 6 year old featherweight who who was a national freestyle champion. He has no picture so it's unlikely I'll ever sign him. Both his wins have come at XCC who currently have him under contract.

Show of the Year: ALPHA-1's Warriors of the Ring 7

This show saw Thai Antonio Taffarel claim the ALPHA-1 middleweight title from the previously unbeaten Carlos Da Guia by 2nd round KO in an Excellent fight. Sadly he lost the title at his first defense.

Female Fighter of the Year: Piper Evergood (13-1)

The fact the female fighter of the year has to fight on the Canadian Local Circuit shows the sorry state of the women's divisions since WEFF closed it's doors.

Team of the Year: J1 Circle

Fight of the Year: Hanley Polter bear Davey Rushton - SHW Title at GAMMA 58

Worst fight of the Year: Mort Slingsby drew with Deverill Butt (CCC5)

Knock Out of the Year: Thais Antonio Taffarel (against Carlos Da Guia)

Submission of the Year: Hanley Polter (against Davey Rushton)

Main Event of the Year: Hanley Polter v Davey Rushton

Upset of the Year: Tossapol Puangchan (against Apolonio Redondo Jr at KDM FC 30

Ok next I'm going to recap each of my divisions and then do a brief recap of the rest of the world as well.

State of GAMMA: 2004

2003 saw GAMMA hold a PPV every month, in addition to this the usual July 4th and Thanksgiving Day TV specials also aired. I'm also running a reality TV Show, GAMMA: Contenders, which aims to provide a number 1 contender for my Super Heavyweight Division. I'm Low International Popularity in the USA, Mid National in Canada and Mexico and Low National everywhere else. My TV Shows are broadcast all over the world (except Africa) while my PPV's are broadcast in America, Canada and Mexico only due to North America Prime Select refusing to share any content.

I purchased CCC when they hit financial difficulty in the hope of using them to give some rookies seasoning and maybe giving a few aging stars a final pay day or two. So far it's not really working out and they've continued to struggle, mostly, in my view, due to their ridiculous rules which are one round of 60 mins and no judges.

Now a quick run down of the divisions.

Super Heavyweight

Hanley Polter (9-0)

This division has been hard work from the off, the division starts with a lack of star power and it's been difficult to hire any in. I had finally managed to create a star in Hanley Polter, who took the title from Davey Rushton and defended it twice to go 9-0. However a shoulder injury put him out for two years meaning he had the title stripped from him.

Efren Luat (12-0)

Current Champion Efren Luat took the title by 3rd round KO against George Pickering (11-3) but has yet to defend. Unbeaten in 5 GAMMA fights the biggest strikes against him are his popularity (High Regional) and his dull style. He's not one to get the fans buying PPV's.

Davey Rushton (8-2)

The ex-champ's only two defeats have come at the hands of Hanley Polter. He bounced back by ending Matas Fialkowska's (6-1) unbeaten streak and remains a top contender.

Taroemon Abukara (12-1)

Abukara's only defeat came at the hands of Davey Rushton. Despite this he remains highly ranked and a lack of star power in the division means he is just one big win away from a title shot.

Rav Kapur (15-1)

The ex-heavyweight Champion has yet to fight at SHW, he made the move after losing his title in comprehensive fashion to Gyokusho Fujimoto and he brings some much needed star power to the division.

John-James McInleen (7-1)

McInleen's only defeat was in a title bout against Haley Poulter. With Poulter out of the way McInleen is looking for another shot at the gold. With two wins since his loss he's up the up and just needs that big win to put him in contention.

Heavyweights

The Heavyweight Division is a strong one and has had an infusion of new blood since I took over, pushing out many of the veterans like Tim Boyer, Raul Hughes and Tony McCall. However one veteran refuses to be banished and currently stands top of the pile.

James Foster (37-6-1)

James Foster has been the poster boy for this division and for GAMMA as a whole for years. However it looked like age had finally taken it's toll when he lost the title to Rav Kapur in a split decision and then lost the rematch by 5th round KO. However he bounced back with a submission win over fellow veteran Raul Hughes (now demoted to CCC) and then re-captured the title on my 2003 New Years Eve event.

Mason Archer (25-6)

Archer was poached from ALPHA-1, where his only in game loss was a split decision to Ari Peltonen, at the end of 2002. Since then he's racked up two decent wins against Tom Boyer and Norman Pike. Although he's ranked 2 in the Heavyweight Division he needs a win against a top ranked fighter before he earns a title shot.

Murilo Satinho (15-0)

Satinho has been slowly working his way up the GAMMA rankings since signing from FLB. Wins over Raul Hughes and Christopher Sharp have cemented his status as a top contender.

Gyokusho Fujimoto (15-3)

Fujimoto dominated Rav Kapur to take the title and it looked like we could be looking at a dominant champion. However he fell at the first hurdle, losing the title in his first defense to a James Foster armbar submission.

Leftay Oktay (18-1)

Oktay came in with a big reputation after beating Aleksander Ivanov for the SIGMA Title and victories against Duke Aiona and Fatuma Roy earned him a shot at Rav Kapur's title. He lost by 5th round KO but since then a first round submission of Tank Manu'a has seen him get back on track.

Aleksander Ivanov (13-1)

Ivanov followed Oktay to GAMMA in the hopes of avenging the one blemish on his record. He picked up a debut win against Tim Boyer in the veteran's last match for GAMMA. His next match is a vital one as he looks to improve his popularity and build on that win.

Nate MacReary (11-0)

MacReary is 5-0 in GAMMA but hasn't really faced a top level opponent yet, with his most recent opponent being Gary Sampson in October. At 28 he's just about to hit his prime and the next couple of fights will determine if he is a contender or just a gatekeeper.

Light Heavyweight

One man has dominated the Light Heavyweight division since the game began, however I've got several challengers in the wings and this is an exciting division.

Lawrence Herringbone (20-1)

Herringbone started the game as champion and he's kept a vice like grip on the title. He defeated ex-champSpencer Rubenstein in the rematch and followed it up with wins over Mike Watson, Junior Patinkin and Marlon John. At only 29 he could be one of GAMMA's franchise players for years to come.

Matt Kurri (13-1-1)

Kurri won the SIGMA Light Heavyweight Title and promptly defected to GAMMA, where he debuted with a win over Junior Patinkin. Although ranked second in the division his low name value means it may be a while before he gets a title shot.

Marlon John (17-2)

John was on a tear through the Light Heavyweight rankings, picking up three in game wins in a row before he met Herringbone for the title. He took it to the judges but was ultimately unsuccessful and needs to rebuild himself for a second shot.

Matthew Dean (40-6)

One of the most experienced men in GAMMA, Matthew Dean is a man who made a record breaking 9 defenses of his Middleweight Title before losing it to Fjodor Kanchelskis in 2002. Since then he's moved to Light Heavyweight where he's picked up wins against Junior Patinkin and ex-champ Spencer Rubenstein to put himself in the title picture.

Rafael Van Der Moot (16-1)

Van Der Moot is a lethal kick boxer who has KO'd Ricky Heath, Linfield Ballard and Zvonmir Asanovic since making his GAMMA debut. He's yet to face a top flight wrestler though and until he does there will be doubts over whether he's ready for Herringbone.

Nilton Fantoni (13-0)

The ex FLB Champion has been a submission machine since debuting in December 2002, picking up wins over Dean Capers and Derek South. It will be interesting to see if he can keep the record going when he faces better quality opposition.

Toby Sorkin (13-0)

Sorkin has slowly risen in the ranks, picking up wins against a number of low level opponents. His next couple of fights will determine just how far the cocky Judoka can go.

Middleweight

This division is headed by the 2003 Blurcat Fighter of the Year. After that though it's a little thin and it's hard to see who will dethrone him.

Fjodor Kanchelskis (19-0)

Kanchelskis is 5-0 in GAMMA and has defended the title he won from Matthew Dean on two occasions, both in Fantastic fights. Despite this he is still only High Regional name value in the USA, making it difficult to match him up in main event fights.

Braulio Moura (27-4-1 NC)

Moura is ranked second in the division and has a decent list of victims. However he's come up short whenever he's fought for the title, losing to both Dean and Kanchelskis. It's difficult to see what's next for the Brazilian.

Neil Napier (21-3)

Third is probably about the best Napier is going to achieve seeing as he has lost to both Kanchelskis and Moura. His only other loss came pre-game to Dean, cementing him as someone who beats the rest but loses to the best.

Buddy Garner (18-4)

Garner is riding high on a three fight win streak having beaten Bill Brown, Mily Golovanov and Petey Mack. He could well be the next challenger for the title but it seems unlikely he'll score the upset.

Isaiah Monroe (11-0)

Ranked just outside the top ten at eleven Monroe is one of the up and comers in the division. He's picked up three wins, including one against ex-champ Maarten De Vries. The future looks bright for Thump.

Billy Russell (10-0)

Ex-Omega champion Billy Russell has recently signed with GAMMA and is yet to make his debut, however such is the lack of fresh faces in the division that the 30 year old could find himself in title contention with just a few wins.

Welterweight

Another troublesome division, it's hard to see who the next challenger for the title is going to be. David Allen looked a sure fire bet, after three big wins, but a serious knee injury put him out for two years. Who will be the next challenger?

Julio Regueiro (28-1)

Regueiro came out on top in his trilogy with Bobby Brubaker, although he got lucky winning the second by a cut in a bout he was losing. He convincingly beat Nathan Chambers and Yevgeni Sipatov before scraping a split decision against Rufus Stephens. It's hard to know if Regueiro is holding onto his title due to him being great or just because the opposition is poor.

Bobby Brubaker (17-5)

Brubaker has been on a tear since losing his trilogy with Regueiro, beating fellow reality TV show coach Jack Humphreys, Will Kane and Darin Blood . However I can't bring my self to put on a fourth fight just yet meaning he's just treading water at the moment.

Will Kane (20-5)

Former BCF Champion Kane was signed with great fanfare but lost on his debut to Dana Delaney. He rebounded with a win over Alan Kendall before having his momentum derailed by Brubaker. At this point he is probably never going to get the title shot he came to GAMMA for and all he has left is to put someone else over.

Gideon Navarro (12-0)

The 26 year old Hawaiian is one of the bright spots in the division. However his most recently victory, a split decision win over Josh Aldarisio, has left some questions over whether he can do it at the highest level.

Lightweights

Another division ruled by a GAMMA veteran, although not without a slight hiccup. It's not the only hiccup I've had in the division but it's still strong with a lot of exciting fights lined up.

Sean Morrison (34-5)

Morrison is GAMMA's first three weight champion, having lost and recaptured the title against reality TV show winner Freddy Lomax. He has a lot of fighters nipping at his heels though, hoping to make him the first three time ex-champion.

Helio (22-1)

The Ex FLB champion has forced his way to number two in the division and is next in line for a title shot after winning a number one contenders bout against Atep of Indonesia. The Brazilian is 27 and just hitting his prime and if he takes the belt he could be champion for a long time to come.

Jake Keane (28-4-1)

Keane suffered a major blow when he lost to Atep of Indonesia, particularly as Atep got hit with a drugs ban right after. He's bounced back with wins over Bruce Steven and Bud Brockett. He's probably only one win away from a title shot.

Fiyero Lermontov (16-2)

Lermontov came in with a big splash with a TKO win over ex-champ Brandon Sugar, however back to back losses to Sean Morrison and Luke Hilton have badly damaged his aura and it might be all over for him.

Atep of Indonesia (14-2-1 NC)

Atep came back from a drugs ban with a win over Luis Basora before losing to Helio in a number one contender bout. He's still highly rated and at only 28 he still has plenty of time ahead of him.

Bruce Steven (23-10)

Wins over Brandon Sugar and Lamont Banner have catapulted the 34 year old into the spotlight. He lost to Morrison way back at GAMMA 7 but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and Steven will be hoping to get one more shot before he retires.

Lamont Banner (12-1)

The step up to Lightweight might have proved to be too much for Banner as he lost on his GAMMA debut. It's make or break for Banner in his next bout.

Freddy Lomax (12-1)

Lomax made his name by first winning GAMMA: Contenders and then beating Sean Morrison, he lost the subsequent rematch and the jury is out as to whether it was a fluke or whether he has a future.

GAMMA ANNOUNCE: GAMMA 68: Herringbone vs Dean

Although this is my first event since I've re-started this dynasty this one was actually booked ages ago. That will be the case for my first three events this year. Luckily I kept plenty of notes as to why I was booking most of the matches. It will come from Connecticut and will be broadcast on North America Prime Select.

Main Event

Lawrence Herringbone (20-1) v Matthew Dean (40-6) - Light Heavyweight Title

Dean has put away Spencer Rubenstein and Junior Patinkin since stepping up to Light Heavy but he now faces his biggest challenge yet, the reigning GAMMA Light Heavyweight Champion. Herringbone is unbeaten in game and has dominated the division with 4 successful defenses. While his popularity is only Mid National his momentum is +5 and this combined with Dean's Low International Popularity and +1 momentum makes this a Great Main Event. Herringbone is the better wrestler and he's 5 years younger than Dean, who has a lot of red arrows on his stats. However they don't come any more experienced than Dean (100%) and he has slightly better boxing and submissions. My money is on Herringbone but it will likely be closer than the bookies think (they have Herringbone as the -940 favorite). If this goes to plan a Herringbone win should see a significant boost to his popularity but will likely see Dean relegated to the role of veteran gatekeeper.

Co-Main Event

Jack Humphreys (26-12) v Rufus Stephens (19-4) - Welterweight

The Co-main event sees two GAMMA veterans face off as they try to get back to winning ways after losing their last fights. Humphreys loss came to Bobby Brubaker, while Stephens was a split decision against Julio Regueiro. Despite both fighters having decent popularity their poor momentum means this rates as a prelim fight. Better hope the main event goes ahead. I expect Stephens to win here as I try to build him back up for another title shot (and hope it's more exciting than the last one).

Isaiah Monroe (11-0) v Osmosis Benn (20-3) - Middleweight

This will be Monroe's biggest test to date as he looks to break into the GAMMA top ten rankings. Benn is an amazing wrestler but he seems to struggle against other wrestlers with losses to Tora Mizwar and Neil Napier, while his victories have come over strikers Carl Ratcliffe and Ashley Ballard. If this form continues then Monroe should pick up the win here. However it's not a disaster if Benn wins, despite his losses he could still be turned into a viable contender with a couple of big wins.

Evan Gardner (11-0) v Will Kane (20-5) - Welterweight

This on the other hand is a fight where a loss for the favorite would hurt. At 35 and with two losses and only one win since he joined GAMMA Will Kane is pretty much a busted flush despite his number 4 ranking. After promoting Gardner from CCC, where he has two submission wins, I'll be hoping for a win for the G-Man on his GAMMA debut to boost his popularity (a measly Low Regional in the States) and his ranking.

Adam White (14-2) v Patrick Thomas (21-6) - Middleweight

Adam White has fantastic skills and should be one of the best Middleweights in the division, however losses to Thomas Smith and Braulio Moura have really hurt him. He's had a year off since that last loss and has improved his skills even further and I'll be hoping for a win against Thomas. Thomas is definitely on the downward slope but his popularity is enough that a few big wins could see him getting one last title shot, a loss however will see him drop down the rankings and could be the beginning of the end for him.

John-James McInleen (7-1) v Randolph Gilliver (8-3) - Super Heavyweight

Both fighters are on a winning streak, despite not being that good and this fight is all about ensuring that one of them continues on that streak so I can use them to put someone else over later on. McInleen is younger and more popular so he'll be the ideal winner and it could see him get a number one contenders bout.

Prelims

Mateo Jane (9-5) v Tyrone Malik (9-2) - Middleweight

Mateo Jane makes his GAMMA debut at 32. He's not much good but he's built a decent win streak on the Local Circuit, including a win over Carson Neuwirth. I'll be hoping to use him to rehabilitate Malik, who I think has the potential to be a decent midcard fighter, after his loss to AlexCole at GAMMA 64.

Jericho Stewart (8-0) v Eric Dartmouth (8-3) - Light Heavyweight

Both fighters here are making their GAMMA debuts. Stewart is a powerful boxer who has the ability to score spectacular KO's, his lack of wrestling ability will likely mean he will come unstuck against better fighters but his handpicked opponent here, Kick Boxer Eric Dartmouth shouldn't be the man to exploit those weaknesses. I'm hoping for a quick KO victory for Stewart to build his popularity and that unbeaten streak.

Callum Henderson (23-11) v Delroy Rhodes (14-2) - Welterweight

Two strikers coming off losses who are struggling to retain their places on the roster. This is just about giving one man a win to make it matter that bit more when someone I care about beats them. They've actually fought before at GAMMA 51 and Rhodes won by decision so I make him the favorite here.

Frank Paul (11-3) v Marmaduke Chuffnell (5-2) - Super Heavyweight

Two fighters on losing streaks who only have jobs because they are in my weakest division. One of them will be unemployed after this event.

Brock Youdale (7-4) v Ray Eton (11-6) - Welterweight

Youdale got all the way to the final in the first series of GAMMA Contenders, where he lost to Freddy Lomax. A move to Welterweight didn't help turn around his fortunes as he lost to Rich Robinson and he is one more loss away from being cut. He should be capable of beating Ray Eton, who with 1 win in 4 isn't exactly one of the big names of the division.

Ryan Beeker (5-0) v Tyler Lass (11-3) - Welterweight

"The All American" Ryan Beeker has picked up 5 wins on the local circuit before making his way to GAMMA. He's only 24 and has some impressive wrestling skills, but needs to work on his striking, which is awful. He debuts against the much more experienced Tyler Lass, who is a decent all round fighter who is coming off a submission victory against Tyson Rechslatter, he won't want to be used as a stepping stone for this young up an comer and this will be a difficult test for Beeker.

GAMMA 68: Herringbone vs Dean

I make it to the first show of 2004 without any injuries or other issues, if Herringbone defends tonight it will be his 5th defense which is a new record.

Prelims

Ryan Beeker (5-0) v Tyler Lass (11-3) - Welterweight

Beeker refuses to touch gloves at the start, pretty disrespectful for someone making his debut. Beeker asserts his dominance early on, clinching and pinning Lass against the cage, he doesn't do much though and eventually the ref brings it back to the centre. Beeker goes straight back to the clinch but this time he gets slammed by Lass but time runs out before he can take advantage.

Round 2 sees Beeker go for the takedown, Lass blocks though and gets one of his own, Beeker sweeps and lands some heavy shots before Lass can escape. They get back to their feet and Lass scores another takedown. He took some damage that round but Lass probably edged it on points.

Round 3 sees Lass using his stand up game as he wobbles Beeker with a head kick before putting him down with a right hand. He follows up with some ground and pound before sinking in an arm triangle for the win. Welcome to the big leagues Beeker

Tyler Lass defeats Ryan Beeker (Submission (Arm Triangle) in 1:32 of round 3). The match was rated as Good

Brock Youdale (7-4) v Ray Eton (11-6) - Welterweight

There is a lot of clinching but not much damage done, Youdale gets a takedown in the first and third while Eton gets one in the second. That was probably enough to clinch it for Youdale.

Brock Youdale defeats Ray Eton (Unanimous Decision). The match was rated as poor

Frank Paul (11-3) v Marmaduke Chuffnell (5-2) - Super Heavyweight

Paul gets an early takedown, softens Chuffnell up with some strikes, takes his back and chokes him out. Dominant performance.

Frank Paul defeats Marmaduke Chuffnell (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 3:21 of round 1). The match was rated as Good.

Callum Henson (23-11) v Delroy Rhodes (14-2) - Welterweight

Rhodes eats a couple of kicks as he makes his way inside, once there he uses the clinch to rough Henson up with punches and elbows. Good first round for Rhodes.

Round 2 sees Henson do a better job at keeping separation, however it doesn't do him much good as Rhodes out strikes him at range as well. Nothing decisive but the better volume was definitely from Rhodes.

Round 3 plays out the same as round 2. Good work rate and variety of strikes from both fighters but they just seemed to lack the power to do any real damage.

Delroy Rhodes defeats Callum Henson (Unanimous Decision). The match was rated as Good

Jericho Stewart (8-0) v Eric Dartmouth (8-3) - Light Heavyweight

Dartmouth looks for the KO from the off, every punch he throws is a haymaker but none of them are landing. Stewart is more patient, landing some decent counter strikes before seeing his opening at the mid round mark. He land a right jab, then a big left which wobble Dartmouth before putting him down with another big left. He starts landing bombs on a defenseless Dartmouth and the ref steps in.

Jericho Stewart defeats Eric Dartmouth (TKO (Strikes) in 3:06 of round 1). The match was rated as Good

Mateo Jane (9-5) v Tyrone Malik (9-2) - Middleweight

Malik is in Jane's face from the start, clinching and landing foot stomps and some nasty short hooks to the body. He gets a takedown in round 2 and does some damage from the top without finishing it. He goes back to the clinch in the third, cutting Jane with an elbow, before taking him down again. Good performance from Malik which really only lacked a finish.

Tyrone Malik defeats Mateo Jane (Unanimous Decision). The match was rated as Decent

Main Card

John-James McInleen (7-1) v Randolph Gilliver (8-3) - Super Heavyweight

The first round is a bit of a non-event, both fighters seem happy to clinch and neither can get the advantage, impossible to score.

Round 2 sees Gilliver poke McInleen in the eye early on, McInleen takes a moment to recover but when the fight restarts he gets taken down by Gilliver. He doesn't do much with the advantage though and were onto round three.

McInleen obviously feels like he is behind on the score cards as he comes out aggressively, after taking some shots Gilliver ties him up and the fight goes to the judges who score it 29-28 to Gilliver. Big set back for McInleen there.

Randolph Gilliver defeats John-James McInleen (Unanimous Decision). The match was rated as Average

Adam White (14-2) v Patrick Thomas (21-6) - Middleweight

White pursues the takedown relentlessly but Thomas is equal to it and lands several crisp strikes to take the round. Good effort from both fighters.

Round two sees White go to the clinch, both fighters are very active but this time I'd give the round to White. Both round shave been close though.

Round 3 finally sees White score the takedown, he goes for the submission on a couple of occasions before reverting to the ground and pound. Thomas gives up his back and White sinks in the choke for the win. Big win for White in an exciting fight.

Adam White defeats Patrick Thomas (Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 3:03 of round 3). The match was rated as Great

Evan Gardner (11-0) v Will Kane (20-5) - Welterweight

Gardner seems happy to stand and strike with Kane rather than using his wrestling, which would seem the obvious route. Kane lands the better strikes but Gardner lands more of them to make it a close round.

Round 2 and 3 continue in the same vein, Kane's leg kicks start to take their toll and Gardner is definitely limping by the end of the fight. The commentator gives it 3-0 to Gardner, I probably make it 2-1 to Kane but the people who really matter are the judges. 30-27, 28-29, 29-28 for a split decision in favour of Gardner. He takes the debut win but you have to question his tactics.

Evan Gardner defeats Will Kane (Split Decision). The match was rated as Good

Isaiah Monroe (11-0) v Osmosis Benn (20-3) - Middleweight

Monroe grabs a clinch but it's Benn who gets the takedown, he doesn't do much with it though and the ref stands them up. Monroe goes on the offensive with a big slam to take Benn down, he obtains mount but the round ends, lucky for Benn as he looked to be in trouble there.

Round 2 is mostly spent in the clinch with neither fighter really able to gain an advantage. Monroe lands the greater number of strikes although Ben lands the only one that hurts.

Round 3 is another clinch fest and Benn definitely takes that one, once again we go to the judges and one again they are split, 29-28, 28-29, 29-28 for Monroe.

Isaiah Monroe defeats Osmosis Benn (Split Decision). The match was rated as Average

Co-Main Event

Jack Humphreys (26-12) v Rufus Stephens (19-4) - Welterweight

This is a close fight where both fighters seem happy to keep it standing, there is a fair amount of time spent in the clinch and while it's not the most exciting fight ever both fighters remain pretty active, Stephens takes all three rounds for a comfortable, if unspectacular, win.

Rufus Stephens defeats Jack Humpreys (Unanimous Deision). The match was rate as being Decent

Main Event

Lawrence Herringbone (20-1) v Matthew Dean (40-6) - Light Heavyweight Title

Herringbone is the heavy favourite here in a bout sold on it's name value rather than it's potential for excitement. Herringbone takes round 1 using his size advantage to dominate the clinch. Round 2 sees Dean use his superior technique to nullify Herringbone before landing a late takedown to edge it.

Round 3 again sees Dean land a late takedown but it's a very close round and as we go into the championship rounds it's hard to separate them.

Round 4 is forgettable but you'd probably give it to Herringbone.

Round 5 finally see Herringbone throw caution to the wind, he's probably up on the score cards but perhaps he doesn't know it. He scores the takedown but almost gets caught in a Kimura from underneath. Dean sweeps him and takes side control. He goes for an arm triangle which Herringbone just manages to resist. The buzzer goes which is fortunate for Herringbone, he looked to be in trouble there. We go to the judges and for the third time tonight it's a split decision. 49-46, 48-47, 49-46, the winner and still champion. Lawrence Herringbone

Lawrence Herringbone defeats Matthew Dean (Split Decision). The match was rated as Poor

Post Show Analysis

Pop +3.2% US, +4.3% Can, +3.7% Mex

Crit: 65%, Com 95%

Gate: £2,679,480

Sponsorship: £105,138

PPV: £19,824,000

Merchandise: £23,348

Fighters: - £628,405

Drug Tests: -£28,800

Production: -124,199

Total: +£21,850,562

A 95% Commercial Rating means the highest PPV take since Regueiro v Stephens II (which had a 96% rating). However, like Regueiro v Stephens II it didn't have the highest of action, scoring just 65% (RvS 2 got a 67%). Unfortunately the big names at the top of the card are some of more duller fighters. The split decision means the headline bout could happen again and draw big numbers, however I'll wait a while, so that everyone's forgotten about how dull the first one actually was.

Elsewhere on the card Rufus Stephens comfortably beat Jack Humphreys. This is the first win on the road to another title shot for Stephens. Humphreys now has an in game record of 1-4, however he's only at -1 momentum and still has Mid National Popularity. This combined with his dropping skills mean it's worth keeping him around for one more fight, where I'll hopefully put a young upcoming talent over him.

Monroe didn't win as decisively as I would have hoped, however he came through this test, hopefully his next fight will be against a big name fighter and he'll win more convincingly to finally make his claim for the big time. Meanwhile it's one step forward, one step back for Benn. However I've now got a narrative for him, I'll hopefully give him a few easy wins to build up to a rematch with Monroe, that way I've got something for Monroe to do, whether or not he gets his title shot.

Gardner was another one who picked up a win but didn't do it in as spectacular fashion as I'd hoped. There's no rematch potential here as that's the end of Will Kane's GAMMA career. With a record of 1-3 the Brit will likely head back to BCF where the competition is easier and he still has name value.

Adam White got back to winning ways and a neutral momentum. He's another one I want to give winnable fights to to build him back up after his defeat to Moura.

Finally McInleen's loss is disappointing, the Super Heavyweight Division is a mess at the moment.

Post Show, Dean, McInleen and Randolph Gilliver all sign new contracts, while Chuffnell, Kane, Eton and Henson all get released after losing.

Most excitingly, from a financial point of view, the economic news says America is about to enter a boom period.

January 2004 - Rest of the World Round Up

GAMMA

GAMMA Contenders continues with the quarter finals.

Felipe Prieto beats Yang Fa Kun

Marty Sinnar beats Morgan Hopwood

Stanley Rine beats Yoshimatsu Ozu

Eduardo Mendez beats Teadoro David

Morgan Hopwood continues to entertain until his elimination, however he at least has a picture and has shown he has decent charisma so he'll get a contract and possibly a winnable bout. Ozu and David don't have pictures so they get cut and Yang Fa Kun gets to stay but at Low Regional Popularity and 35 years of age he'll just be used to put someone else over.

Of the semi finalists, Rine and Sinnar both have pictures and proper profiles while Prieto and Mendez have those mini profiles so I know who I hope will be going through.

There are a few contract renewals but the only other big news is that, after two years, Joaquim Fontes is finally fit to make his GAMMA debut. His skills seem to have dropped badly while he was out and at 33 he's getting near the end of his career, I suspect this injury has robbed him of his chance to be a star.

ALPHA-1

Sho Kitabatake shows that age doesn't have to be a barrier to success as he claims the ALPHA-1 Light Heavyweight Title for the first time at the age of 36, submitting Jin Katou in the first round. The co-main event sees another veteran pick up the win as 35 year old Tadamasa Yamada beats Jiroemon Hasegawa by unanimous decision. Could we see chapter 3 for Kitabatake v Yamada in the future?

XCC

Chad Abbott beats Dan Garofalo by 5th round submission in the main event, given that neither fighter is in the top 25 Bantamweights this seems like an odd one to headline with. Still it does the job, pulling in a 65% commercial rating. XCC's best since May 2003

FLB

Lucas makes the first defense of his Welterweight Title, submitting Hamilton Fonseca Junior in the first round at Deadlock 4. It's another card for the veterans as every winner except Vitor de Melo (28) is over 30. Come on FLB, you're supposed to be creating the stars of tomorrow so I can poach them.

SIGMA

Fernado Peragon goes 16-3 as he beats Jason Dalglish for the Featherweight Title. SIGMA continue to put on good cards but need a broadcaster if they are to regain some of their momentum.

CCC

Glen Siemaszko was a fighter I was once interested in bringing in to GAMMA. However his run at CCC has been pretty disappointing, with three draws in his four fights. His opponent Julian Beals has also taken a knock as he's drawn both his title shots against Siemaszko, ultimately leading to a very inconclusive feud. At least the rest of the card is action packed with the other 4 fights only taking a combined 11 minutes. You wouldn't have wanted to sit through the prelims though as they feature another two 60 minute draws, yawn. The 60 minute single round fights with no judges is killing CCC.

GAMMA Announce: GAMMA 69: LeToussier vs Van Der Moot

Coming live from Mississippi GAMMA 69 sees two of the companies top Light Heavyweights clash in what will hopefully be an explosive battle

Anthony LeToussier (17-4) v Rafael van der Moot (16-1) - Light Heavyweight

Van der Moot has been destroying his opponents since joining GAMMA with KO wins over Ricky Heath, Linfield Ballard and Zvonmir Asanovic. All of those opponents have been strikers so he's not really been tested on the ground yet. That's likely to continue as I throw him in against another kick boxer. LeToussier will be his toughest opponent yet and there is little to choose between them on the striking front. However I'm hoping that Van Der Moot's superior chin and clinch game will give him the edge.

Le Toussier is Mid National popularity and I'm hoping Van Der Moot can take some of that popularity. However a win for LeToussier gives me a ready made contender at Light Heavy as he's never faced Herringbone before.

This is rated as a strong main event.

Co-Main Event

Maarten De Vries (18-9) v Nathan Chambers (21-4) - Middleweight

The Co-main sees Nathan Chambers have his first fight at Middleweight as the two coaches of Season 2 of GAMMA The Contenders face off. Despite poor momentum (-2 for De Vries and 0 for Chambers) this rates as a strong main event. Presumably due to Chambers name value (Mid International) and the hype surrounding the TV Show. The hope here is for an impressive win for Chambers but if De Vries somehow gets it then the popular ex-champ could find himself getting one last run near the top.

Mason Archer (25-6) v Murilo Satinho (15-0) - Heavyweight

This sees the number 2 and number 3 Heavyweights in the division face off to decide who gets the next shot at the title. I originally booked this match before I knew the result of Foster v Fujimoto so I felt it was needed as a Fujimoto win would have left me struggling to find a popular enough title fight and I hoped the extra bout here would help build one of the challengers. As the champ is Foster this fight isn't necessary as he can pretty much headline against anyone. However another win for the challenger can't hurt, my preference would be for Satinho to win as he's younger and has a better chance against Foster but I'll settle for either of them here. This is rated as a main show fight.

Dana Delaney (14-4) v Rich Robinson (13-0) - Welterweight

Delaney hits hard but his takedown defense is weak and I'm hoping that this should be enough to give Robinson the edge. It's Robinson's first real test since signing for GAMMA and a win here should see him break into the top 10 (he's currently ranked 14th and Delaney is 8th). This is rated as a prelim fight but I want to get Robinson on screen to boost his popularity.

Charlie Oakley (9-0) v Tom Essy (7-0) - Middleweight

Charlie Oakley has two wins on the prelims while Tom Essy has featured on the main show before, where he beat Chesney Brightman. Both fighters are unbeaten and this fight is about seeing which one of them deserves my backing. The winner here will find himself getting a push, with some easier opponents thrown his way, while the loser will be back on the prelims looking to regroup.

Rav Kapur (15-1) v Taroemon Abukara (12-1) - Super Heavyweight

Talking of regrouping, opening the show we have ex-Heavyweight Champion Rav Kapur. The Beast of Birmingham's aura of invincibility was shattered in his last fight at GAMMA 60 as he was soundly beaten by Fujimoto. On paper Abukara looks like a tough first opponent at Super Heavyweight, with his only loss coming to ex-champ Davey Rushton. However skills wise they are a world apart and Kapur should destroy him. I fully expect Kapur to dominate the Super Heavyweight division for as long as I decide to keep him there.

Prelims

Eli Harris (12-5) v Jeffrey Foxworthy (11-0) - Welterweight

Neither of these fighters are actually that good but I'm managing to protect them so far with a view to them putting someone else over. The winner here will almost certainly get a shot on the main show next time out.

Dan Bickersteth (5-1-1NC) v Joe Snettisham (11-4) - Super Heavyweight

Both these fighters lost on their GAMMA debuts and they get thrown together here to decide which one of them gets cut and sent back to the local circuit with a big league record of 0-2.

Ruben Gomes (7-1) v Bast Moulke (7-1) - Heavyweight

These fighters necks aren't quite on the chopping block but at 1-1 each it's getting close. Gomes is the pits and Moulke should get a comfortable win here. However there isn't really much of a future for either fighter in the long run.

Chesney Brightman (8-2) v Stephan de Winter (9-1) - Middleweight

Two more fighters in need of a win. De Winter is the better fighter and at 0-1 he needs this more. Brightman has at least picked up a win (against Holden Strant) so a loss probably won't cost him his job.

Nathan Ronald (9-1) v Alex Cole (13-2) - Middleweight

Boxer vs Wrestler as these two fighters look to make the step up to the main card. Ronald won his last fight by KO against Thomas Smith while Cole now has two wins in a row and is starting to pick up some momentum after losing his first two fights. I'd prefer Ronald to win as he's 5 years younger but either fighter should make a decent addition to the undercard.

Tyson Rechslatter (9-4) v Lloyd McAllister (16-6) - Welterweight

These fighters have five GAMMA fights between them and a total of zero wins. However every fight they've been in has been exciting (the worst rating they have is Good) and that's kept them in a job. This really is the last chance saloon though and even the winner is probably only buying a stay of execution.

Summary

This is a pretty stacked card. While it doesn't have a killer main event it does have two strong ones. Nathan Chambers seems to have really benefited from the exposure being a coach has given him as he was High National popularity before the show started and even De Vries has climbed from Low National to Mid National. I might not be making any stars from the contestants but the coaches popularity is booming.

I'm also excited to see who wins the main event and the Heavyweight bout as they should set my main events for at least two shows. Meanwhile it's good to have Kapur back and I'll be hoping for a quick win.

Archived