Competing with the #1 company

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41022" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wade Barrett just needs to be built. In my opinion, he'd make a perfect foil for someone like Cesaro (who also needs to be built). <strong>One of the things I try to find in every game is good matchups between workers I'm trying to develop. I want my Flair-Steamboat pairings from lower midcarder to main eventer. These are workers that hand you a top storyline you can use forever</strong>. <p> </p><p> mrwhippy, it's okay to spam your top workers because that's what's done in real life. That's the whole point. No one's going to tune in to Raw to see Zach Ryder fight Tyler Breeze in the main event, even now. But after the US Open Challenge thing, people are more than willing to sit through a match where Cena fights someone they've never heard of (I'm talking casual fans here). Your top names should be over enough and skilled enough to carry a 'nobody' (read: midcarder) to a main event TV match that rates high enough to at least maintain your pop. And then they're willing to pay money to watch two of those top names go head-to-head.</p><p> </p><p> I'm willing to bet that, with the proper build, you could have a main event scene that features people like Barrett (assuming he can stay off the shelf), Cesaro, Cena, Owens, Bray, Zayn, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose and the leftover remnants that are the part-timers. Actually, replace Zayn with Orton, at least until someone retires. He'd probably be best suited to raise the prestige on one or both of the midcard titles initially. That's what's so frustrating to me about today's WWE. SO much talent but poor utilization makes it seem like a talent deficiency.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree on the WWE at this point. So much talent, so little done. not the right place to complain about WM, but when you have the Attitude Era stars bury your upper midcard crews..... they just don't let anyone build real momentum. In TEW terms, the entire roster has mediocre or low momentum because of poor gimmicks (in a few cases) and mostly poor booking. </p><p> </p><p> The bolded is something I try to do as well. Establish some dynamics when workers are young and you can go back to that well over and over. The Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn blood feud going back to Owens (Steen) turning on Zayn when they were a tag team on the indies can be a catalyst for so many things for both. </p><p> </p><p> As for the original question, I meant to mention a good piece of advice I read somewhere is that trying to catch someone else by doing exactly the same thing is not typically going to be successful. You have to do it better, and quite significantly better to close a big gap. That is difficult. So from a business perspective, the more effective approach is finding ways to innovate. Look at the Monday Night War - WCW had slowly altered their product to emulate the WWF (including heavily featuring former WWF stars) but they did just enough to be unique - live broadcasts, cruiserweights, etc. That allowed them to overtake the WWF. The WWF countered not by purely emulating WCW, but again by innovating to some level - a more adult-orientated product, hardcore stuff, etc. And WCW could not find a way to innovate or be unique again, which led to a decline which led to them dying. TNA is a different animal, because they really weren't ever direct competition to the WWE, but as they tried to be, they almost completely emulated the competition and slowly eroded any aspects that made them unique. That kind of dynamic doesn't really apply too much to the TEW gameworld, but you mainly want to focus on what you're doing. Do it very well and you should be able to take down the top dog.</p>

Archived