Ring of Honor: From the beginning

Hi guys.

So I'm new to the forum but I've been playing these games for years, specifically the TEW and WMMA series. I've enjoyed reading countless diaries, so I thought I might try my hand at one. I'm shooting for just being adequate at this point, I don't expect it to be on par with some of the great stuff I've read on this site.

For the first dynasty, I've decided to go with my favorite wrestling company, Ring of Honor. I've seen a couple of really good RoH dynasties, so it may be a tall order and there may be some eye-rolling because of its popularity. One big adjustment that you'll see is the start date for the company. I'm using the excellent May 2001 database, which is authored by Genadi, so all props to them for the hard work that they put in which allows me to experience hours of enjoyment. The database was set up with the WWF/WCW Invasion storyline in mind, but he detailed a ton of smaller indy feds, which were both current and hadn't started yet.

Ring of Honor's first show was in February of 2002, but for the sake of starting dates, I pushed the opening date to May of 2001. Of course, starting the game like this means the roster is completely empty. I spent the first couple of weeks stringing together a roster in order to pull off my first event near the end of the month. I hope those who choose to read will enjoy the journey through the early days of Ring of Honor, and hope that I do not completely screw the company up.

Stay tuned for more updates.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-T6aCNFrpgw/S-VHRIPKw0I/AAAAAAAAAeU/Q3e-94TFEhE/s1600/forumlogodesign.jpg

After two 'in-game weeks', the roster for the inaugural Ring of Honor show has begun to take shape, and is very promising for the first show. We've managed to land some ex-ECW veterans that weren't signed by the WWF. Not only do we have some good, young east coast talent, but young talent from all across the country, including Puerto Rico and even the United Kingdom.

The roster is as follows:

Main Eventers

Yoshihiro Tajiri

James Maritato (formerly Little Guido in ECW)

Joey Matthews

Homicide (current JAPW Heavyweight Champion)

Upper Mid-Carders

AJ Styles

Bryan Danielson

Low-Ki

Reckless Youth

Christopher Daniels (current UPW Heavyweight Champion)

Carlito Colon (current WWC Universal Champion)

Donovan Morgan (current APW Universal Heavyweight Champion)

Scoot Andrews

Mid-Carders

Ace Steel

Brent Albright

Chris Hero

CM Punk

Colt Cabana

Adam Pearce

BJ Whitmer

Eddie Colon

Marcus Call (randomly generated character from a previous game with college wrestling background, became huge star, created him from scratch this game)

Samoa Joe

Lower Mid-Carders

Amazing Red

Bobby Roode

Brian XL

Joel Maximo

Jose Maximo

Paul London

Billy Reil

Chase Stevens

Doug Williams

Quiet Storm

Spanky

Xavier

Tag Teams

The Indy Kings (AJ Styles and Reckless Youth)

Los Colons (Carlito and Eddie Colon)

The SAT (Joel and Jose Maximo)

Second City Saints (CM Punk and Colt Cabana)

The Vanguard (Adam Pearce and BJ Whitmer)

The Wild Boys (Chase Stevens and Marcus Call)

Other Personnel

Joey Styles -Announcer (Oh my God!!)

Dave Prazak - Colour Commentator/Manager

Dawn Marie - Manager

Shelly Martinez - Manager

Angel Williams - Manager

Mickie James - Manager

Francine - Manager

*I like having a good stable of female managers because some can help with promos and I'm fascinated by randomized relationships.

Jim Molineaux - Referee

Nick Papagiorgio - Referee

Scott Armstrong - Referee

Tom Pritchard - Road Agent

As for the Authority Figure, once I saw this guy included in the game as an avatar, I couldn't resist: Dwight K. Schrute!'

As a note, there were some signees that we couldn't obtain, due to financial and size reasons. The most expensive talent currently on the roster is Tajiri, making 680$ per show.

-First and foremost on that list is Rob Van Dam. He's currently unsigned to a written deal anywhere, but I just couldn't justify the $2000 per show for such a young company. He did finally get that kind of deal from XPW (good luck there, RVD).

-Three of my favorites from the latter days of ECW were also Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible and Steve Corino. Lynn and Credible wanted around $1500, Corino didn't want to sign on for more than 3 months due to his freelancer status in the game. He would definitely be a main eventer, and I'm trying to build the company, so I can't afford to have talent like that on the short-term (even though at any moment, my guys may be poached by bigger companies).

-After getting Tajiri and James Maritato, the idea for my first main event was a Triple Threat between those two and Super Crazy. Super Crazy, however, deemed Ring of Honor too small and refused to even listen to a contract offer. I guessed he'd prefer to ride a Juan Deere mower to the ring for a larger company rather than wrestle for a smaller one.

Breaking News:

On Tuesday, Week 3, May 2001, the wrestling world was sad to hear about the passing of the legendary and incomparable Stu Hart. Hart was the patriarch of perhaps the most famous wrestling family that the world will ever know. Hart was 85 years old.

Ring of Honor also announced that their inaugural show, The Era of Honor Begins, will be dedicated to the memory of Stu Hart. Matches for the show will also be announced in the near future.

view;_ylt=AwrB8pS9oitX3AkAvfQunIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIyYzc0cmhqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANkYjhhY2ZlZWZjNWM3NGQyOTM0MDczN2FjMzY4ODNmMgRncG9zAzQEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dthe%2Bera%2Bof%2Bhonor%2Bbegins%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-002%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26hsimp%3Dyhs-002%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D4&w=300&h=225&imgurl=wcwrules4lyf.files.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F11%2Flogoroh.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D224&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdrwrestling.net%2F2009%2F11%2F14%2Froh-era-of-honor-begins-2232002%2F&size=+7.6KB&name=Ring+%3Cb%3Eof+Honor%3C%2Fb%3E+presents+%3Cb%3EEra%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eof+Honor%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBegins%3C%2Fb%3E&p=the+era+of+honor+begins&oid=db8acfeefc5c74d29340737ac36883f2&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&tt=Ring+%3Cb%3Eof+Honor%3C%2Fb%3E+presents+%3Cb%3EEra%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eof+Honor%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBegins%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=21&no=4&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=1231tuvad&sigb=14hg9d1j4&sigi=120v0l1j0&sigt=1264kilbb&sign=1264kilbb&.crumb=L.hNHwO7fIS&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&fr2=piv-web&hsimp=yhs-002&hspart=mozilla

Ring of Honor

The Era of Honor Begins

On Friday, the 4th week of May, the era of honor begins! Witness the future of the sport of professional wrestling; witness the birth of Ring of Honor, live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Already scheduled are the following:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/DarenWC/NWATNA/Roster/LowKi.jpg vs. http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w451/ohiodevil/Homicide4_zps8228f69c.jpg

-Two of the brightest up and comers out of New York City collide, as the martial arts expert Low-Ki, takes on current Jersey All Pro Wrestling kingpin Homicide. These two are growing up together in the business, can their friendship survive this encounter?

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w451/ohiodevil/ROH/AJStyles3_zpse8bcbd56.jpghttp://s427.photobucket.com/user/PhenomenalPat/media/TEW/INSPIRE/Roster/RecklessYouth.jpg vs. http://s351.photobucket.com/user/RicRules62/media/CarlyColon.jpghttp://smg.photobucket.com/user/cwsaton/media/EddieColon.jpg

-In tag team action, two of the independent circuit's breakout stars will team up, when AJ Styles and Reckless Youth take on Carlito and Eddie Colon, the sons of Puerto Rican legend Carlos Colon. Carlos' boys have already made a splash on their island home, will their success carry over to mainland USA?

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/ohiodevil/media/ROH/ChristopherDaniels3_zps564779b1.jpg vs. http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Evansfan1/media/BryanDanielson-2.jpg

-After only a year into his career, Bryan Danielson has shown the makings of a potential superstar in the wrestling industry. Christopher Daniels is one of the most decorated American wrestlers on the independent circuit today. The future meets the present in a showcase match to see who will start their Ring of Honor career with some serious momentum.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/TheWho87EWR/Wrestlers/Y_Images/th_Yoshihiro_Tajiri.jpg vs. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ov1vR6RVtkQ/SMEgF4UT8fI/AAAAAAAAAX0/Ltm2BEw8fPo/s400/th_JoeyMercury.jpg vs. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7PYSVM3a9IU/TGlRDsLQAuI/AAAAAAAAAWg/zrX8D5kOk28/s1600/James_Maritato.jpg

-In the main event, three former ECW standouts and familiar faces to the Philadelphia crowd; Yoshihiro Tajiri, Joey Mercury and the former 'Little Guido' James Maritato, battle it out to determine which of these former ECW rising stars will start out as the proverbial king of the Ring of Honor mountain!

-Plus six other matches featuring the very best young talent that the country has to offer. Lastly, a tribute to a fallen icon in the sport of professional wrestling, there will be a match dedicated to the memory of Stu Hart. Don't miss The Era of Honor Begins

Ring of Honor: The Era of Honor Begins

Friday, the 4th week of May

Murphy Recreation Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

672 in Attendance

The show opens with Joey Styles standing in the ring to a cheering crowd, with the wrestlers surrounding the ring. He says it's great to be back in Philadelphia for the start of a new era in professional wrestling. He thanks the fans for continuing to support the 'sport' of wrestling rather than the 'sport' of entertainment, which gets over big time with the fans. Styles speaks about the passing of wrestling legend Stu Hart, and they have a ten bell salute for the fallen icon.

This segment lifted the crowd; D+

Match #1: Paul London vs. Spanky

Joey Styles briefly goes over the Code of Honor as London and Spanky shake hands before the match. The two Texas wrestling products did a good job warming up the crowd, despite a lack of psychology in spots near the end which resulted in a few hiccups. One impressive spot saw Spanky on the outside, where London took him down with a running somersault plancha. Spanky took him the win via pinfall after hitting London with the Sliced Bread #2 in 6:42. Both competitors shook hands after the match.

This match lifted the crowd; D-

Spanky is improving in Performance skills

Match #2: 6 Man Scramble Match: Amazing Red vs. Brian XL vs. Billy Reil vs. Quiet Storm vs. Xavier vs. Teddy Hart

The crowd exploded for Teddy Hart, as this was the first introduction to him for many of the East Coast wrestling fans. A 'Teddy' chant went through the audience near the beginning, and all of the wrestlers shook hands with each other before the match. The match itself was more or less a spot fest, with each wrestler having a chance to get their own stuff in. Teddy took everyone out on the floor with a phoenix press, which the fans ate up as well. Xavier looked particularly impressive as the biggest threat in the match due to his size compared to the other athletes. In the end, Teddy picked up the submission win when he made Quiet Storm tap out to the Sharpshooter in 7:44.

Xavier is improving in Flying skills; Billy Reil is improving in Technical and Performance skills.

After the match, all the competitors shook hands and congratulated Teddy. He took the microphone and thanked the crowd for supporting him and his family, and that he hopes he made his Grandfather Stu proud. Teddy left the ring and went through the crowd for his exit, shaking hands and getting pats on his back from the fans.

Match #3: Bobby Roode vs. Doug Williams

Two other athletes who are unfamiliar to most American fans, Roode and Williams put on a much different match than the previous two. They slowed the pace down, but worked a very good match. Roode and Williams have great chemistry as opponents, and it showed in their performances and the way they got the fans behind both of them. The end came when Roode pinned Williams after a Roode Awakening in 6:35. Both men adhered to the Code of Honor.

This match lifted the crowd; D

Doug Williams is improving in Rumble skills

Former ECW alumni Dawn Marie and Joey Matthews came out arm in arm, drawing a pop from the fans, followed by a smattering of ECW chants. Dawn got on the mic, talking about how she was happy to be here in Philadelphia again, but immediately drew boos after saying that she was especially happy to see that she didn't have to show up to that old, grimy, disgusting ECW arena. She introduced Joey Matthews as the future Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion, and then introduced her newest clients and the future Ring of Honor Tag Team Champions, the Wild Boys. Chase Stevens and Marcus Call joined the two in the ring. Dawn closed out her brief speech by saying that they would be the faces of Ring of Honor. As she wrapped up, Jose and Joel Maximo came out and challenged the Wild Boys to an impromptu tag team match!

Dawn Marie came out a little underwhelming, but the segment did lift the crowd some; D-

Match #4: The SAT (Jose and Joel Maximo) vs. The Wild Boys (Chase Stevens and Marcus Call w/Dawn Marie)

The two teams shook hands before the match. It was a fast-paced match between four talented cruiserweights. Dawn Marie stayed for her team the whole match, and did some good work ringside on getting heat, despite not seemingly clicking with Chase Stevens during their interaction. Both The SAT and The Wild Boys gelled really well as tag teams, which made for a very competent match. As The SAT were setting up Stevens for the Spanish Fly, Dawn grabbed the foot of Joel while the referee was paying attention to Marcus Call. Joel fell to ringside, which enable Call and Stevens to hit Jose with their Call of the Wild finisher (wheelbarrow suplex with guillotine leg drop), and Stevens pinned Jose for the victory at 10:26. Both the Maximo brothers and the crowd were furious, as they saw the first breach in the Code of Honor, and Dawn Marie and the Wild Boys ran out before the SAT could exact revenge.

This match lifted the crowd, but they were really turned off by the ending with the interference; D

Chase Stevens and Joel Maximo are improving in Technical skills

Match #5: Brent Albright vs. Scoot Andrews

The singles match was meant to slow down the pace again a little bit, but neither guy really looked on their game for this match. There weren't any foul ups really, it just came across as being dull and possibly too long. After back-and-forth action, Scoot Andrews wound up surprising Albright with a small package for the win at 9:01.

Characterized in the summary as 'an extremely poor match'; E

No worker improvements to comment on

Fans were treated to an in-ring promo by Christopher Daniels, who hyped his upcoming match with Bryan Danielson. Daniels says that they've wrestled each other across the country, and while Bryan has a great future, that's exactly what it is: a future. The present is now and at the present time, Christopher Daniels is the top wrestler in Ring of Honor, and he'll prove it tonight.

This segment lifted the crowd; E+

Match #6: The Second City Saints (Ace Steel, CM Punk and Colt Cabana w/Mickie James) vs. The Vanguard (Adam Pearce and BJ Whitmer) and Donovan Morgan

In a 6-man tag match with some midwestern flair, all six men put forth a solid performance. The Second City Saints had great chemistry, of course from Ace having trained the other two, and Pearce, Whitmer and Morgan didn't have any problems with communication on their side. James on the outside was just kind of there, and didn't seem to fit in chemistry wise with the Saints. The end to this solid match came when Punk hit the Pepsi Plunge on Adam Pearce and got the pinfall at 11:26. All six men upheld the Code of Honor at the beginning, and at the end despite Pearce seemingly doing so begrudgingly.

Colt Cabana is improving in Technical skills

Match #7: Bryan Danielson vs. Christopher Daniels

Before the match started, another ECW alum in Francine came out to a pop, and a minor of 'Queen of Extreme' chant. She said she was out talent-scouting for the next man who could take her to the top of the wrestling world, and that it should be extra incentive for both men. Whether or not she motivated them, Daniels and Danielson had a great match. Daniels really worked the crowd well as the heel in control for most of the match, and the fans were really into Danielson's come back later in the match. Daniels had Bryan set up for the Angels Wings, but Bryan dropped to a knee and hooked Christopher around for a side cradle, getting the somewhat surprise victory at 15:54. Danielson extending his hand, and after a pause, Daniels slapped it and exited.

This match really lifted the crowd; D+

Danielson is improving in Rumble skills, Daniels is improving in Performance skills

After the match, Francine entered the ring and offered Bryan Danielson her services. He said he would think about it and left the ring.

There were no specific comments regarding this segment; E

Match #8: Chris Hero vs. Samoa Joe

They shook hands before the match. Both Hero and Joe delighted the fans to a non-stop, hard hitting match, and gained some new fans on the east coast in the process. One point saw Joe almost knock Hero out with a front kick to the face, but couldn't get the three count. The fight spilled to the outside, with Hero and Joe fighting long enough to earn a double count out, a finish which the fans really hated, and possibly hurt the overall scope of the match.

The match lifted the crowd; D-

No worker improvements to comment about in this segment

Joe and Hero both engaged in a shouting match afterwards, having to be separated by officials.

There were no specific comments regarding this segment; E

Match #9: Indy Kings (AJ Styles and Reckless Youth) vs. Los Colons (Carlito and Eddie Colon w/Shelly Martinez)

Styles and Youth were on fire in the early going, but the Colons used the experience they had wrestling together since they were kids to sway the momentum. Los Colons utilized excellent tag team work for most of the match, with Shelly doing a good job at ringside annoying some fans. Styles came out looking good after getting the hot tag, but ultimately in the end, Carlito rolled up Reckless Youth for the pinfall at 14:18. Reckless claims that Carlito had the tights, which fans seemed to agree with, but the Colons denied it, and the teams followed the Code of Honor.

This match lifted the crowd, even though some were turned off by the tainted finish; D

Carlito Colon is improving in Performance skills, AJ Styles is improving in Flying skills

Match #10: Low Ki vs. Homicide

In a battle of friends from New York, both men would follow the Code of Honor. Low Ki and Homicide absolutely laid into each other for most of the match. The end came rather abruptly unfortunately, as Low Ki landed awkwardly from the top rope and came up grabbing his knee. He tried to stand but couldn't, and the referee had to call the match at 9:18, which infuriated Low Ki and left the fans unhappy. Low Ki appeared to go after the ref but Homicide stopped him, offering to help him to the back. Low Ki refused and left on his own accord.

The match suffered a lack of flow due to the abrupt ending, and did not make many fans happy; E

Homicide is improving in Performance skills

Joey Styles makes his way to the ring again, hyping up the show thus far, and also the main event match between James Maritato, Joey Matthews and Yoshihiro Tajiri.

No specific comments regarding this segment; E+

Match #11: James Maritato vs. Joey Matthews vs. Yoshihiro Tajiri

All three men shook hands, but Matthews had Dawn give him some hand sanitizer afterwards, which caused both Tajiri and Maritato to double team him a little bit. Dawn tried to get involved in the match again, but was stopped by the referee, and eventually sent to the back. All three men performed admirably and use their strengths wisely in the match. The first fall came when Maritato made Matthews submit to a Fujiwara armbar at 12:35. Tajiri and Maritato battled one on one in a very close match with a split crowd, but ultimately it was Tajiri getting the victory following a brainbuster at 18:48. The crowd gave a standing ovation as Tajiri and Maritato shook hands after the match.

This match lifted the crowd; C-

James Maritato is improving in Performance skills, Joey Matthews is improving in Performance skills, Yoshihiro Tajiri is improving in Technical skills

Final Show Rating: D

Ultimately, my first show was pretty successful considering the size of the promotion. The show increased my popularity in the Tri-State area. There were some mixed results from match to match, I got lucky with some pairings like Roode and Williams matching up so well and Chase Stevens and Marcus Call having great tag chemistry. After that tag match, Chase Stevens requested that Dawn Marie not be his manager, so that kind of throws a wrench into some long term plans I had been thinking about. Also some of the match-end decisions were pretty unpopular in keeping with Ring of Honor's code and the way the fans expect things to play out. Just things I'll have to remember for the next show.

End of May 2001 notes:

-Ring of Honor took in a profit of $6,107 over the course of the month.

-In order to gain popularity across the country and the world, Ring of Honor has opted to release The Era of Honor Begins on their website for absolutely free!

-The next Ring of Honor show has been announced. The Championship Road Begins is slated for the 3rd Friday in June, and will feature the first round in a tournament to determine the first Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion. Much like their debut show, this one will also take place in the Tri-State area.

-Christopher Nowinski, Chris Rombola and Danny Havoc all enter wrestling starting June 2001.

More updates to come, stay tuned!

The second Ring of Honor show, The Championship Road Begins, is coming up in just a week's time. As previously announced, it will consist of the first round of the tournament to crown the first Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion.

Ring of Honor has been kind enough to release the full first round bracket, which will take place over the entirety of its second show. In an effort to give everyone on the roster an equal opportunity, all but 3 roster members will take part in the tournament, making a total of 32 wrestlers taking part in 16 singles matches.

The three omitted include Low Ki, who regretfully will not be able to take part in the tournament due to injury. The other two wrestlers are Chris Hero and Samoa Joe, who were not included in the tournament as a punishment for not following the Code of Honor at the end of their match, and their need to be separated. In a related statement by Ring of Honor, Dawn Marie will not be allowed to ringside for any of her clients matches, due to her actions at the previous event. The SAT will be allowed to get their revenge against the Wild Boys in the first round, as will AJ Styles and Reckless Youth against The Colon brothers for their questionable tactics in winning their match.

The first round matches are as follows:

Ace Steel vs Joey Matthews

AJ Styles vs Eddie Colon

Amazing Red vs Billy Reil

Bobby Roode vs Donovan Morgan

Brent Albright vs Homicide

Brian XL vs Xavier

Bryan Danielson vs Doug Williams

CM Punk vs BJ Whitmer

Colt Cabana vs Adam Pearce

?????? vs Quiet Storm

James Maritato vs Scoot Andrews

Joel Maximo vs Marcus Call

Jose Maximo vs Chase Stevens

Paul London vs Christopher Daniels

Reckless Youth vs Carlito Colon

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Spanky

The last spot is rumored to be filled by a young, talented wrestler from overseas, but as of right now, it is just a rumor, and Ring of Honor is being tight-lipped about it.

• 2 weeks later...

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="color:#FF0000;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Ring of Honor: The Championship Road Begins</span></span></p><p> </p><p>

<em>Friday, the 3rd week of June</em></p><p><em>

Teaneck Armory in Teaneck, New Jersey</em></p><p><em>

654 in Attendance</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

The show opens with the introduction of the Dwight Schrute, who proclaims himself to be the President of Ring of Honor. After a minute of him talking up some of his non-wrestling related experience, he mentions that tonight will be the first round of the company wide tournament to crown the first Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion. Low Ki comes out to meet him in the ring. Schrute apologies to Low Ki for omitting him from the tournament before Ki can say anything. He goes on to tell Low Ki that he is a big fan, citing his own karate background, and promises Ki that he will get an opportunity to fight for the title in the future. Ki says that he had better, and leaves the ring, soon followed by Schrute.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This segment lifted the crowd; D</em></p><p><em>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">Low Ki is improving in performance skill</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #1: Brian XL vs. <strong>Xavier</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both men follow the Code of Honor and the match begins. XL uses his quickness well to get Xavier off balance for the first minute before Xavier starts to slow the match down. Xavier spends most of his time grounding his opponent and keeping on him with several powerful suplexes and slams. XL mounts a small comeback, but Xavier catches his hurricanrana attempt and slams him down with a sit-out powerbomb, getting the pin and the decision at 4:39. Xavier helps Brian up and they shake hands after the match.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd; D</em></p><p><em>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">No worker improvements to comment upon</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #2: <strong>Jose Maximo</strong> vs. Chase Stevens</p><p> </p><p>

Both men follow the Code of Honor, but Stevens cheapshots Maximo afterwards to get some heat. After the first few opening minutes, the match suffered from a few miscommunications between the two workers, and the crowd got on their cases about it. Joel Maximo and Marcus Call started jawing at each other at ringside, which distracted Jose long enough for Stevens to surprise Jose with an O'Connor Roll. Jose reversed it at the last moment, and wound up pinning Chase to get the victory at 7:30. Almost immediately, Marcus Call and Joel Maximo get in the ring, as their match comes up next.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>The bout dragged in the middle, with a lack of flow being noticeable; E</em></p><p><em>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">No worker improvements to comment upon</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #3: Joel Maximo vs. <strong>Marcus Call</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Joel and Marcus slap hands to officially follow the Code of Honor, but get right into the fight. Unlike their tag team partners, Joel and Marcus had very good chemistry throughout the match, with no blown spots and good pacing. Joel looked to set Call up on the top rope for a solo Spanish fly at one point, getting the crowd to their feet but Call was able to push Maximo off. The end came when Call locked Maximo's arms and delivered a bridging tiger suplex for the pin at 6:13. At the end of the match, both teams met in the middle and shook hands.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd; C-</em></p><p><em>

The action is broken up by a promo by the Second City Saints, with CM Punk, Colt Cabana and Ace Steel all hyping their upcoming singles matches.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This segment fell a little flat; E</em></p><p><em>

Match #4: <strong>AJ Styles</strong> vs. Eddie Colon</p><p> </p><p>

AJ and Eddie shake hands before the start of the match. A lot of back and forth action throughout this match, with Shelly Martinez doing a good job at ringside drawing some heat from the fans. Eddie almost catches AJ by surprise with a small package, but AJ kicks out at the last moment. AJ knocked Eddie through the ropes with the Pele Kick, followed up by a suicide dive through the ropes. The end came at 10:18 when AJ delivered the Styles Clash and pinned Eddie to pick up the win. Both men shook hands at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd; D+</em></p><p><em>

Match #5: Paul London vs. <strong>Christopher Daniels</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Daniels slaps London's hand at the beginning of the match to technically follow the Code of Honor. The veteran Daniels takes control after the overeager London makes a few missteps early on. Daniels does a great job working the crowd. London starts to make his comeback and absolutely levels Daniels with a Dropsault. Not to be outdone by AJ, London hits Daniels with a shooting star press while Daniels is standing on the outside! London takes control at the end and goes to the top rope, but misses the shooting star press on Daniels. Daniels waits for London to get to his feet, then delivers the Last Rites and wins by pinfall at 13:07.</p><p> </p><p>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">Christopher Daniels is improving in Flying skills; Paul London is improving in Technical skills.</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

The crowd applauds both competitors at the end of the match, and Christopher Daniels actually helps Paul London back to his feet. Daniels and London shake hands as a sign of respect.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments on his segment; F+</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #6: <strong>Dragon Kid</strong> vs. Quiet Storm</p><p> </p><p>

Dragon Kid came out to a great reception in his debut match, as he and Quiet Storm shook hands. They wasted no time in getting after it, putting on what was the fastest paced match of the card. Quiet Storm actually hit his Storm Cradle Driver on Kid, but Dragon Kid got his foot on the ropes. Kid fought back, and managed to land his impressive Dragonrana and pick up the pinfall at 6:06. Both competitors shook hands after the match.</p><p> </p><p>

Match #7: Amazing Red vs. <strong>Billy Reil</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code of Honor. Red and Billy had a very similar match to the one prior, however it didn't seem to click with the crowd as well. Red hit his Code Red on Reil but only got a two count. There was a blown spot where Reil came off the ropes and he and Red just kind of bumped into each other. At the end, Reil went for the Highlight Reil, but missed, allowing Red to go for a sunset flip. Reil blocked it, getting the pin and minor upset at 7:19. Both competitors shook hands at the end of the match.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>The bout dragged in the middle; E</em></p><p><em>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">Amazing Red is improving in Performance skills</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

On an exclusive for online content, Dawn Marie is shown backstage speaking with Dwight Schrute. Dawn sweetly tries to convince Dwight that Joey Matthews should get a bye. Despite being distracted by Dawn's assets, Dwight stands firm that it has to be fair for everyone, and Dawn leaves unhappy.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; E</em></p><p><em>

Match #8: <strong>James Maritato</strong> vs. Scoot Andrews</p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code of Honor. The crowd was really behind Maritato the whole match, and Andrews redeemed himself from his awful performance at the debut show. Despite the crowd on his side however, Maritato seemed a little off his game tonight and a little lethargic at times in the match. The end came at 9:28 when Maritato made Scoot tap out to the Sicilian Crab. Both men shook hands at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">No worker improvements to comment upon</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

Match #9: Bobby Roode vs. <strong>Donovan Morgan</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code of Honor. The pacing of the match was much like the previous, with most of the work taking place on the mat. Neither Morgan or Roode are very flashy wrestlers, which left the crowd feeling a little restless at points. The match itself had solid in-ring action, and in the end, Morgan hit Roode with The Sayonara to pick up the pinfall win at 6:31. Both men shook hands at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; D-</em></p><p><em>

Francine came out to the ring, stating her interest again in taking on a client that will be the future Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; D</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #10: <strong>Bryan Danielson</strong> vs. Doug Williams</p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code of Honor. From the opening bell Danielson and Williams put on a wrestling clinic. The underdog Williams actually took control for a good portion of the match, grounding the smaller Daniels. He goes for the Chaos Theory rolling German Suplex, but Daniels flips out of it and lands on his feet. Danielson gets the upper hand and locks in the Cattle Mutilation to get the submission victory at 7:33. Both men shook hands at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd; C</em></p><p><em>

Match #11: CM Punk vs. <strong>BJ Whitmer</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Whitmer slapped Punk's hand to technically follow the Code. Whitmer and Punk went after each other in a hard-hitting match, but unfortunately, neither of them clicked as opponents, which made for an awkward bout at times. In the end, Whitmer countered the Pepsi Plunge by backdropping Punk of the top rope, then followed it up with a lariat to get a surprise victory by pinfall at 9:42. Both men shook hands at the end, but Whitmer had some words for Punk additionally which caused Punk to shove him. They both left before it could escalate.</p><p> </p><p>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">BJ Whitmer is improving in Performance skill</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

On an exclusive for online content, Chris Hero is seen talking to Dwight Schrute. He says that he's sorry to the fans for his actions, and wants another chance to wrestle Samoa Joe. Schrute says that he'll get his chance eventually, but reminds him that if they act unprofessionally, there will be no place for them in Ring of Honor.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; E</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #12: <strong>Colt Cabana</strong> vs. Adam Pearce</p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code. This was as much of an old-school style match as there was on the card, which clicked with some of the crowd who appreciated it. Cabana and Pearce both did good to play up to the crowd. In the end, Cabana got the pin with a quick cradle at 6:37, leaving Pearce pissed off. They wound up shaking hands after Pearce calmed down.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd; D-</em></p><p><em>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">Adam Pearce is improving in Technical skill</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #13: Ace Steel vs. <strong>Joey Matthews</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code. Dawn Marie appeared at the ramp but was ushered to the back by security to the cheers of the fans. Steel used some high impact offense at the start to surprise Matthews. The tide turned halfway through when Matthews hit Steel with a superkick. Steel fought back but in the end Matthews swept the legs of Steel and got the pin at 5:34 with his foot on the bottom rope. The crowd was furious, and so was Steel as he chased Matthews out of the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match lifted the crowd, but the fans were really turned off by the finish; E</em></p><p><em>

On an exclusive for online content, Carlito Colon had an interview hyping his match with Reckless Youth. He said that he beat him once and that he's going to do it again and win the Ring of Honor Heavyweight Championship.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; D-</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #14: <strong>Reckless Youth</strong> vs. Carlito Colon</p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code. Reckless came out on fire in the opening moments, knocking Carlito out of the ring and following up with a suicide dive. Back in the ring, Carlito took control with a quick eye rake, and used the momentum for most of the match. The crowd was really into this match and they showed their appreciation numerous times. In the end, Reckless Youth got his revenge over Colon by pinning him after a Frog Splash at 11:55. Both men shook hands at the end.</p><p> </p><p>

Match #15: Brent Albright vs. <strong>Homicide</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code, and Low-Ki was on commentary for this match. Both men engaged in maybe the hardest hitting match on the card. The bout did drag towards the end and seemed to be coming apart at the seams. Homicide hit Albright with the Cop Killa at 7:17. Both men shook hands, and Low-Ki got in the ring to go face to face with Homicide. After a moment, Ki offered his hand and Homicide shook it.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>The bout dragged in the middle; E</em></p><p><em>

On an exclusive for online content, Spanky had an interview hyping his match against Yoshihiro Tajiri. He bragged that it was only his second match in Ring of Honor and that he was already in the main event. Like everyone else, he believes that he'll be the first Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>No specific comments about this segment; E+</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Match #16: <strong>Yoshihiro Tajiri</strong> vs. Spanky</p><p> </p><p>

Both men followed the Code. Tajiri used his kicks to get the crowd into the action and wear Spanky down. Spanky fought back well, using his speed and agility to take control of portions of the match, and playing up to the crowd. There were a couple of awkward moments with miscues, but Tajiri and Spanky both did good to move right along. In the end, Tajiri took out Spanky with a brainbuster and got the pin at 11:43.</p><p> </p><p>

</em><em><span style="font-size:8px;">No worker improvements to comment upon</span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Final Show Rating: D+</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Overall, the second show seemed to be more successful, despite having a little less of a crowd. Bryan Danielson and Doug Williams had the best match on the card, which marks two in a row where both had great matches, as did Christopher Daniels and Yoshihiro Tajiri. Their opponents, London and Spanky, seemed to benefit from having a more veteran presence in the ring with them.</p>

<p>End of June 2001 Notes:</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

-Ring of Honor took in a profit of $7,185 over the course of the month.</p><p> </p><p>

-The next event is scheduled for Friday on the 3rd week of July, and has been tentatively named <span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Super 16</span>, as it will showcase the continuation of the promotion wide tournament to crown the first Ring of Honor Heavyweight Champion. Unlike the prior card, there will be non-tournament matches scheduled as well.</p><p> </p><p>

-A couple of retirings of note: Bruno Sammartino, Freddie Blassie and Lou Thesz have 'officially' retired from the wrestling business.</p><p> </p><p>

-New workers starting in the beginning of July 2001 include: Delirious, Hade Vansen, MsChif and Tim Arson</p><p> </p><p>

Christopher Daniels and Bryan Danielson have been offered touring contracts with NOAH, whether or not they accept and how it will affect their standings in Ring of Honor, remain to be seen.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, in the World of WWE, the new King of the Ring for 2001 is Christian, having defeated Test in the finals.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

The next round in the Ring of Honor tournament to crown the first ROH Heavyweight Champion has been advertised, with the event just a day away. The matches are as follows, in no particular order:

AJ Styles vs. Marcus Call

Bryan Danielson vs. Donovan Morgan

Colt Cabana vs. BJ Whitmer

Dragon Kid vs. Christopher Daniels

James Maritato vs. Billy Reil

Jose Maximo vs. Homicide

Reckless Youth vs. Joey Matthews

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs. Xavier

There will also be four to five non-tournament matches but most are unconfirmed as of now. One match that was announced is a tag team match featuring Low Ki and Chris Hero vs. Samoa Joe and Doug Williams.

Archived