Arlie a request: better play balance

I've really enjoyed this game and it is short of a tweak here and there of being one of the best football sims ever created IMO. I remember somewhere here where you commented that there were perhaps too many highly rated QBs on not- so- good teams. I believe there is something to this. QB passer ratings, in general, are significantly higher than real life counterparts. This is a consistent theme i have seen in leagues so far. Skill players also (RBs and WRs) have quite high ratings in greater numbers that is, compared to the talent levels of current real life players IMO. I have had RBs and WRs go a whole season without dropping a pass. This maybe the reason top defenses in BBCF can only muster around 300 yards allowed per game. Meanwhile, top defenses in the college game allow a range of 225-260 yards per game. Please give some consideration in your tweaks. Thank You Brad

Passer ratings are flat-out figured differently in BBCF than in real life. Well, at least NFL passer ratings. I know because in my super-awesome Temple Owls dynasty my starting QB had a rating over 100 my first year. I don't think that necessarily means that offense is too high (although your note about top defenses giving up 300+ yards per game is a sign of this).

[QUOTE=Johnny Slick]Passer ratings are flat-out figured differently in BBCF than in real life. Well, at least NFL passer ratings. I know because in my super-awesome Temple Owls dynasty my starting QB had a rating over 100 my first year. I don't think that necessarily means that offense is too high (although your note about top defenses giving up 300+ yards per game is a sign of this).[/QUOTE] Passer rating is different between college and pro.

UGH...The top defense in Gridiron Glory is surrendering 315 yards per. Arlie, can this be fixed. To give some point of reference. Total Defense for 2004 and 05. 2004 Thru: 01/08/05 Minimum Pct. of Games Played T O T A L D E F E N S E 1 North Carolina St. 221.36 2 Alabama 245.50 3 LSU 256.92 4 Virginia Tech 268.00 5 Auburn 277.62 6 Southern California 279.31 7 Florida St. 283.83 8 Georgia 288.92 9 Wisconsin 291.25 10 Penn St. 291.55 11 Iowa 293.83 12 Georgia Tech 297.92 13 Oklahoma 299.00 14 Missouri 301.36 15 Louisville 305.92 16 Troy 311.00 17 Kent St. 312.45 18 Oregon St. 313.33 18 Virginia 313.33 20 South Carolina 315.18 2005- T O T A L D E F E N S E Rank Team G Pl Yds Avg TD Ydspg 1. Virginia Tech 247.62 2. Alabama 255.08 3. LSU 266.85 4. Miami (Fla.) 270.08 5. Ohio St. 281.33 6. Tennessee 298.18 7. Connecticut 298.27 8. North Carolina St. 298.67 9. Florida 299.83 10. Texas 302.92 11. Kansas 303.25 12. Penn St. 304.67 13. Oklahoma 306.67 14. Florida St. 309.23 15. West Virginia 310.75 16. Boston College 311.67 17. South Fla. 311.92 18. Georgia 313.46 19. Auburn 315.25 20. Clemson 316.58

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=GridironGamer]I've really enjoyed this game and it is short of a tweak here and there of being one of the best football sims ever created IMO. I remember somewhere here where you commented that there were perhaps too many highly rated QBs on not- so- good teams. I believe there is something to this. QB passer ratings, in general, are significantly higher than real life counterparts. This is a consistent theme i have seen in leagues so far. Skill players also (RBs and WRs) have quite high ratings in greater numbers that is, compared to the talent levels of current real life players IMO. I have had RBs and WRs go a whole season without dropping a pass. This maybe the reason top defenses in BBCF can only muster around 300 yards allowed per game. Meanwhile, top defenses in the college game allow a range of 225-260 yards per game. Please give some consideration in your tweaks. Thank You Brad[/QUOTE] i totally agree with you on this. the league passing ypg. also too high. way too many 300y games. real life 50th ranked passing team last 3 years has been in 220's ypg. bbcf usually 240's ypg. hope this can be fixed.

The issue is that the AI tends to use more "pass-heavy" gameplans when they are outmanned or have the talent to do so. This causes a few more passes than "normal" and it's done because it gives the AI the best chance to win. I have to be careful with messing with this as if I cut down the AI's use of passing gameplans, it may hurt its ability to compete in certain games (esp when outmatched on talent). I will certainly look at this down the road but I want to reiterate that this game is not just an NCAA replay game. It is based off of college football but depending on talent levels and team situations, you may see teams pass more (or even run more in some other instances) than this season's college football. All that said, though, I will look at this and see what I can do.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn]The issue is that the AI tends to use more "pass-heavy" gameplans when they are outmanned or have the talent to do so. This causes a few more passes than "normal" and it's done because it gives the AI the best chance to win. I have to be careful with messing with this as if I cut down the AI's use of passing gameplans, it may hurt its ability to compete in certain games (esp when outmatched on talent). I will certainly look at this down the road but I want to reiterate that this game is not just an NCAA replay game. It is based off of college football but depending on talent levels and team situations, you may see teams pass more (or even run more in some other instances) than this season's college football. All that said, though, I will look at this and see what I can do.[/QUOTE] thanks for response arlie. that makes sense. thanks for a great game and continued support. chuck

Thanks for the response Arlie. Just a thought, could this be a function of too many (highly rated skill players) being generated by the engine. OOTP has settings when creating a league where you will have more of a hitter's or pitcher's league. Is it possible to slightly alter QB quality generated, without upsetting game balance. Game dynamic and depth, could be increased more so if the defensive prowess were on more equal footing. Just one mans opinion.

Archived