Question on how the play simulation works

I am starting to try to use the playbook instead of strategy and I have a question about how plays are actually simulated.

My main question is about running plays; how detailed are the blocking models? For instance, in my current game, my left tackle, guard and center are pretty good and I'd like to mainly run behind them. If I run power left guard, does that count as running behind the left guard, or does the right guard pull (like a real power play) and that is who they are running behind?

Hopefully the question makes sense.

It depends on the play. Look at the diagram and see how the line reacts. If the play is off left guard and no guard pulls, the primary blockers will be the left side of the line. However, there is a check against DL/LB on the right to see if they cause an impact. So, loading up one side of your line and running that way may not guarantee great results as if the DT beats the RG, he may still get into the play. Still, running towards your better lineman does have a benefit over time. Just don't do it to often or you become predictable.

<p>Awesome, thanks for replying! </p><p> </p><p>

So, how do I see the line pulls, etc? From the play diagrams I see, the line doesn't seem to show blocking directions, pulls etc. Not sure if I am missing something there.</p><p> </p><p>

So for instance, in PS-HB-Power-RT (as bog-standard as power-O gets) the diagram shows the hole that the back is aiming for but I don't see any indication of blocking on my diagram. Based on it being a power play, I would assume (without further info): down blocking on the backside by the RT, RG, C and LT, the FB kicking out the DE on playside to open the hole and the LG pulling and taking out first defender through the hole, but I don't see anything to tell me for sure.</p><p> </p><p>

But based on your answer, I think I can safely assume that all of the blocking matchups (backside and frontside) are taken into account (so stacking one side of the line isn't gaming the system) and that line pulls are in the game (which is awesome!).</p><p> </p><p>

Thanks again for the game; would love an update and expansion of course but there still hasn't even been another game for me that gets the feel of college football as close as yours does.</p>

Good point, there are no "lines" for OL - so you have to go more on the name. power plays involve the opposite guard pulling. Draws involve the OL going into a pass block mode and hoping to catch the D by surprise. Counters involve the opposite side pushing away to make a line going the other direction. Finally, tosses involve the tackle and TE trying to seal the POA with the strong side WR blocking.

• 2 months later...
So on power runs as described above, would the pulling guard's speed be a significantly important attribute in determining the play's success? In other words, if I were trying to power run with a slow pulling guard would the play be more likely to fail?

Archived