The Observer and The War

It was 1994. Eric Bischoff had been appointed CEO of World Championship Wrestling. After years of hostilities with the company formerly known as JCP, Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation finally found themselves in open war. It was WCW vs. WWF. Eric Bischoff vs. Vince McMahon.

Now, whenever someone tells this story, you'll end up seeing a side.

Vince McMahon will tell you about WCW's booking mistakes, finnancial mismanagment and protray them as arrogant megalomaniacs.

Eric Bischoff will tell you about how the only megalomaniac there was Vince McMahon, and how WCW crushed WWF in the ratings consistently.

Paul Heyman will tell you about how both are terrible human beings when it comes to the industry, the industry their war almost killed. ECW meanwhile,

being the best alternative.

In other countries, there were other 'wars'. Asistencia, Asesoría Y Administracíon's rise against Consejo/Empresa Mundial/Mexicana de Lucha Libre for exemple. All Japan Pro Wrestling battling New Japan Pro Wrestling to see who the best company is, and where the best performers are.

Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Dos Caras, Konnan, Mitsuharu Misawa, Shinya Hashimoto. Eric Bischoff, Giant Baba, Antonio Inoki, Francisco Lutteroth, Antonio Peña, Vince McMahon.

The wars of the wrestling word must be seen by only two eyes. Mine.

http://i.imgur.com/Fg9D5fw.jpg

Whoah. That was intense. Ok, now to the technical aspects. Or something.

1 - What happened to your PGHW diary?

Well, I might have let the game open and my sister might have screwed my save. To her credit, she did book 2 months worth of shows. I'll be more careful this time.

2 - What mod are you using?

I'll be using Hive's Clash of The Titans for this one.

3 - How will that work?

Well, i'll try to do this as 'observer' as I can. I will be reading the Observer Rewinds over on reddit aswell as some full issues.

HOWEVER! I may change this format to Adam's watcher's journal, or I may alternate between, doing 'observer issues' in months with big events or when something huge happens. Or I might do detailed write-ups for the big promotions and the recaps for the smaller ones.

4 - Did you do any changes to the mod?

No. I'll be using the latest version of the mod without any changes.

5 - How will the star ratings work?

Tricky. With Perf>Pop promotions, I can just "convert" the 0 - 100 grades to a 0 - 5 one. I.E: 80/100 = 8/10 = 4*/5*

With Pop>Perf, I'll try to rate the matches according to the worker's skills and/or Meltzer's real world opinions.

6 - Will there be comedy?

Yes. Hey, Meltz himself would do funny comments sometimes. Just google "Meltzer in the '90s" or "Dave Meltzer on WCW" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Wrestling Observer Newsletter</strong></span></p><p> PO Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228 July 4, 1994</p><p> </p><p> This past week has been, in one word, terrible, north american wrestling wise. While the WWF did draw a good crowd for Jacque Rogeau's last match, the actual buy rate for King of the Ring is rumored to be in the .73 range, the lowest in the company's history. It was expected however, as the card was very weak. The company's previous all-time low pay-per-view buy rate was an .82 for the last Survivor Series.</p><p> </p><p> Clash of the Champions drew a 3.0 rating, it's fourth all-time low. For a show headlined by Flair vs. Sting and with the heavily hyped Hulk Hogan debut, it has to be considered a flop. The show peaked in the Main Event, with drew a 4.2 rating itself.</p><p> </p><p> WCW's last Saturday show, with the 'press conference' drew an also disappointing 1.8 rating.</p><p> </p><p> WCW hoped to ride a wave of momentum with the Hogan signing, but that clearly isn't the case.</p><p> </p><p> The bomb of the week however was Sandy Barr's Championship Wrestling USA. Booking AAA stars and Tonya Harding in a 12,000 seat arena proved to be a terrible move, with little more than 500 people in attendance.</p><p> </p><p> Another awful flop was the 'Ultimate Deathmatch' of Cactus Jack and Sabu failing to sell out the ECW Arena. Tod Gordon expected this to be a guaranteed sellout, and made a bunch of excuses to justify it, while Paul E. Dangerously called it an 'overstating' of their draws, Many people complained about the run-ins in the match, and the consensus was that they were burned out by the time it rolled around. Sabu won with interference from Paul and broke a bottle in Cactus's Head, meaning he didn't work the show next night except for a promo.</p><p> </p><p> As for Clash of The Champions, it was a bad show in my opinion, and I know i'm in the minority here.</p><p> </p><p> The show drew 4,044 paid and $42,000, which are good figures compared with previous Clashes and even some recent PPV shows. There were about 6,700 fans total with the papering, announced several times as a capacity crowd in a building set up for about 11,000, but it looked good enough on television.</p><p> </p><p> WCW acknowledged they screwed over in the latest sunday show by giving away a few results, first with Bobby Heenan denying it was his fault and later by playing it up as Flair's mind games. They did make a similar mistake as they aired a promo for the Saturday Night show showing Arn Anderson and Dustin Rhodes as a team right before Arn agreed to team with Dustin live.</p><p> </p><p> 1. Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan retained the WCW tag titles beating Nasty Boys in 10:35. *3/4</p><p> </p><p> 2. Guardian Angel pinned Tex Slazenger in 1:44 with a Bubba-slam. DUD.</p><p> </p><p> Hulk and Jimmy Hart showed up in a limo and got booed.</p><p> </p><p> 3. Steve Regal regained the WCW TV title pinning Larry Zbyszko in 9:25 *1/4</p><p> </p><p> Rhodes & Anderson announced they are going to team up after all.</p><p> </p><p> 4. Steve Austin retained the U.S. title getting disqualified against Johnny B. Badd in 10:25 *3/4</p><p> </p><p> Hogan did an interview, was booed again until they showed Flair. He good booed even more after. </p><p> </p><p> 5. Ric Flair pinned Sting in 17:17 to win the unified title. They blowed some spots before doing the classic ones, with a lot of near falls. Sting went for a plancha and Flair pushed Sherri on his way. Flair won with a roll up after Sherri distracted him. Sting threatened her but they used powder and beat him up until Hogan made the save, He also threatened Sherri and Flair did the begging spot. God knows why WCW decided having their top two faces threaten a woman considering the OJ situation was a good idea. ***1/2</p><p> </p><p> *****************************************************************</p><p> WWF King of the Ring(Actually reviewed on the 6/27 issue)</p><p> </p><p> 1. Razor Ramon pinned Bam Bam Bigelow in 8:24 *3/4</p><p> </p><p> 2. IRS pinned Mabel in 5:38 The only highlight was when Donovan during this match proclaimed, "This is great acting." 1/2*</p><p> </p><p> 3. Owen Hart pinned Tatanka in 8:18. ***1/4</p><p> </p><p> 4. 1-2-3 Kid pinned Jeff Jarrett in 4:39 After the match Jarrett gave Kid three piledrivers and three fist-drops off the top rope and left him laying. **1/4</p><p> </p><p> 5. Diesel beat Bret Hart via DQ in 22:51 so Hart retained the WWF title. This was a very lenghty match for Diesel's standards and he was also injured. Hart actually carried him to a good match nevertheless but they did blow a number of spots. Shawn Michaels and the returning Jim Neidhart were in the respective corners. Hart worked Diesel's knees but Diesel didn't do such a good job at selling it. They screwed up a spot and Diesel had to use a bear hug. Hart used a dropkick but Diesel got stuck on the ropes and had to be helped.Hart Missed a plancha and Diesel used a few power moves for near falls, before setting up a shoulder breaker while Michaels took off the thurnbucklepad. Hart countered it into a sleeper and Diesel rammed him in the corner. Ref bump. Hart went for the Sharpshooter but broke it to hit Michaels on the apron. Diesel was very tired and Hart countered a boot into a Sharpshooter. Diesel made the ropes. Diesel went over the top this time and hit Neidhart. Michaels hit Hart with the belt for a near fall. but Hart kicked out. Diesel hit the Jackknife and Neidhart attacked him for the DQ, but left Bret behind to be beaten up by the two. The announcers did not put over either Neidhart letting Hart behind or the "what if" with the DQ finish. ***3/4</p><p> </p><p> 6. Ramon pinned IRS with the Razor's edge in 5:13. 3/4*</p><p> </p><p> 7. Owen Hart defeated Kid in 3:37 via submission with the sharpshooter. A very good short match but did not make sense storyline-wise, with the repeated "babyface gets beaten up and returns later" storyline. ***1/4</p><p> </p><p> 8. Head Shrinkers retained the WWF tag title beating Yokozuna & Crush in 9:31 when Lex Luger's distraction caused Crush to get pinned in a finish that Ray Charles could see coming. *1/2</p><p> </p><p> 9. Owen Hart pinned Ramon in 6:35 to win the King of the Ring tournament. Not bad, but too short. Jim Neidhart interfered and they beat up Ramon. Hart proclaimed himself "King of Hearts" afterwards. **</p><p> </p><p> 10. Roddy Piper pinned Jerry Lawler in 12:30. Piper got a huge reaction but the match didn't. Piper's return was ruined by Hogan's, as most of the attention went to the latter. The lack of heat can also be blamed on the only angle they did before the match being the hospital one with the kid. Piper came out with the kid that Lawler used as Piper in the Raw skit. Piper looked in excellent condition for his age. There was a ref bump and Lawler did the foreign object and foot on the rope combo but the kid pushed Lawler's foot off and was chased again. Piper won with an awkward bridging back suplex. *</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43576" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Whew, that was big. This is just KOTR+COTC, the actual game ones will happen after this and honestly recaps seem better, A lot of things here was me trying to sum up what Meltz said, but I did let somethings in(like the Ray Charles line). Hopefully it's easier to read than an actual Observer. Oh,<p> yes, there probably are typos, but even Dave has those. I also did not talk about the steroid trial here because A. it didn't change anything IRL except for WWF's policies towards steroids, something I assume is already set in the mod and B. reading this, while interesting, is really tiresome.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p></div><p></p><p></p>

The Recap:This week in wrestling

NJPW Sold out the Sapporo Dome. This made the news of Shinya Hashimoto being dropped as ace very shocking. While his match against Tatsumi Fujinami paled in comparison to the Mutoh-Chono match, Hashimoto is still a very big draw. Still, Inoki might fell one of New Japan's rising stars is a credible ace, or might feel one of their Main Eventers is a better option.

WWF also decided they need someone new on top and dropped Bret Hart.

WWF has been struggling recently and he took the blame.

Meanwhile, SMW decided Jake Roberts on top is a great move. The same Jake Roberts that missed three shows in a row a while ago.

Johnny Saint became the head trainer of the FWA academy. "One more reason to join", they said.

BCW and PWF-UK reached TV Deals.

AAA reached TV deals in USA.

Satoru Sayama, The Original Tiger Mask, returned to wrestling. Expect him to venture into promoting.

CWA NE reached a TV deal aswell.

WCW signed Roddy Piper. And Honky Tonk Man, but nobody cares about Tonk. Piper might mean they'll get another edge over WWF, but God knows how much he's getting paid.

Koki Kitahara quit WAR. Damnit Tenryu!

ASW also reached a TV deal.

We got the first A* of the save with Misawa and Kobashi beating The Holy Demon Army in a 99-rated match. A few days later the same match scored a 98.

Leilani Kai and Rhonda Singh signed with WWF as they attempt to create a Women's Division. If Vince wasn't so stubborn he could get the All Japan Women too, maybe.

NJPW got on PPV via Sky PerfecTV! Inoki might be ditching TV Asahi after all.

Nick McMichael became WAW's booker

Gary Hart became CWUsa's booker;

Danny Davis became booker of IWF.

I seriously considering letting the Observer to become booker, actually.

New Jack signed with WCW. Relevant enougb as we might get a murder or something.

WCW got a bunch of international TV deals.

El Hijo Del Santo jumped ship to CMLL.This is certainly big news, because AAA really did steal a lot of CMLL talent, but this might signal a turn on the tide.

ASW also got TV deals in USA

MAW got a TV deal.

Mad Dog Vachon Passed Away

Ok, so, I decided I'd be better off doing recaps and making Meltz rest a bit by only reviewing big shows. On the other hand, except for Santo and the figureheads this was quite the slow week. Broadcasters are business as usual, really. I'm quite sad about Mad Dog though as he was 50% into the HOI. Oh, well.

<p>- WCW Has been signing international broadcasting deals</p><p>

- <strong>NJPW got a pay-per-view-deal in Europe</strong>,aswell as TV deals in America & UK</p><p>

- WCW signed Junkyard Dog. Mildly interesting.,</p><p>

- NJPW signed George Steele because...?</p><p>

- <strong>Konnan has jumped ship to CMLL</strong>. I suspect something fishy.</p><p>

- ECWA signed Sid Vicious</p><p>

- Eddie Gillbert has been politicking around in WWC</p><p>

- Brazo de Oro has been teaming with Corazon De Leon(Jericho)</p><p>

- Satoru Sayama was signed by NJPW, which is kind of shocking as it was NJPW that made him quit wrestling in the first place.</p><p>

- BCW has been getting even more broadcasting deals.</p><p>

- Toshiaki Kawada got an ****1/4 match off Giant Baba</p><p>

- Akira Hokuto signed with the WWF</p><p>

- Roddy Piper broke his fingers.</p><p>

- Atsushi Onita is FMW's new ace. Seems he won't be retiring so soon.</p><p>

- At the latest Superstars tapings The Underfaker(Brian Lee) won the European title. Against Fatu. </p><p>

- Sid Vicious won the ECWA Heavyweight title. No comments. Shane Douglas won the Mid Atlantic title in the same night but that's not interesting at all.</p><p>

- Bruno Sammartino has been working backstage for a few indenpendent promotions</p><p>

- The Crusher became a trainer in Dominic DeNucci's wrestling school. I don't know what to make of this.</p><p>

- Alexander The Great is dating Brandi Alexander. Alexander?</p><p>

- AAA signed a deal with MVS Multivision</p><p>

- BWF has signed deals with Setanta Sports</p><p>

- Tiger Hattori is the new trainer at the New Japan Dojo</p><p>

- Terry Funk has been gaining weight</p><p>

- TripleMania C is on the books. More on that later</p><p>

- The Sheik is finally retiring for good.</p><p>

- CMLL signed Chavo Guerrero, Sr.</p><p>

- El Canek has said he's carrying UWA by himself</p><p>

- Virgil is being let go of WWF.</p>

Archived