Changing Laptops - How do I keep all my data?

For you license you simply need to unlicense off the first computer and relicense on the second. Instructions are included in the FAQs pinned to the top of each Technical Support forum.

You haven't said what game you're talking about so it's difficult to be more specific about data. If it's one of mine, you would move the Database(s) folder to take save games and mods, Pictures to take picture packs, and Skins to take any custom skins that you are using. These would be pasted into the same place on the new computer.

A quick addition... You will need to reinstall your games properly using the installer on your new computer, as there are several files that can only be registered properly that way. Once you have done that, you can literally just copy over the full game folders from your GDS folder, which I have found is the easiest way to move from one computer to another. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I wish more people would back up their data multiple times a day which can be done automatically in a number of ways. I guess you have to lose something like a word document that had a program idea that could make you a lot of money that you came up with that had 500,000 words on it before you do it.

Archived