For Arlie (hopefully) Running Backs: Outside vs Inside vs Third Down

What skills actually differentiate the different back types? From the stickied editing thread, here are the skills for running backs in general:

RB

Football skills: running, hands, route running

Other skills: speed, strength, agility, acceleration, instincts

But which are more important for which back type? Not looking for the actual calculations of course, just want to have a better idea what is actually important for the different back types

My assumption's have been:

Inside - Running, Strength, Agility, Instincts

My reasoning is they need strength to take the pounding up the middle and break tackles, agility to cut quickly into holes, instincts to quickly run to the right hole. Other skills are nice to haves but not as critical

Outside - Running, Speed, Acceleration, Agility

My reasoning was they need Acceleration to get to the outside quickly, Speed to outrun the contain and pursuit, Agility for cut backs. The other skills are nice to haves but not as critical

Third Down - My guess is Running, Hands, Route Running but quite unsure on this one

My understanding is that Third down backs are primarily used as receivers on pass downs (also can be kept in for pass protection). But I've had backs at 225 pounds that weren't great receivers, yet they were called Third Down backs so not sure honestly; maybe they were good pass protectors but that's not a rating for backs so really don't know.

Archived