What's the Biggest Gamble You Ever Made?

Asking these various questions of the community has been fun and I might make this a semi-regular thing if I can keep thinking of these.

Anyway, doing another test file to experiment with different booking philosophies in preparation for the dynasty thread I want to do. I may have done the biggest gamble for the start of XCC (my preferred company yet). I'm booking based on stats in the database and hiring a lot of guys with high Killer Instinct. Hopefully this will create a lot of exciting fights that will bolster my Critical Rating on cards and slingshot my growth. It's resulted in signing a lot of international fighters (and talking about a hundred guys into moving to America). This also has LOADED every division with strikers.

I don't know how that's going to go yet but that's not the biggest gamble. This is, and this may make me look insane.

In a swing-for-the fences move to try and get eyeballs on my product, I talked Jeff Carlton out of retirement. I also brought back Mark Cohen and Mac Fuller, but Carlton is the big one. In a three-way bidding war between XCC, GAMMA, and ALPHA-1, I had to offer Jeff Carlton $35,000 a fight to sign with my small company over the big two. XCC only starts with $100,000 and after filling out Super Heavyweight through Welterweight and the marketing for my January card, I only have $20,000 in my bank account right now. There's no guarantee I'd even make my money back on a Carlton fight since he's got a 100% win bonus. I plan on making him my Heavyweight champion to start so... Yeah. Guy's a huge investment, basically a special attraction fighter.

So I may bankrupt myself on The Rock. Have any of you guys ever lost your minds in a wild move like this? Share your stories, I'd love to read them and I bet the rest of the board would too.

Archived