WWF 1996: Dawn of Attitude

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Epic Night Rider's attempt at a TEW 2016 dynasty. Here we will be doing 1996 in WWF. Here are the rosters for WWF:

WWF

OWNER: Vince McMahon

BOOKER: Jim Cornette

CHAMPIONS:

WWF World Heavyweight: Bret Hart

WWF Intercontinental: Razor Ramon

WWF Tag Team: The Smokin' Gunns

WWF ???: Vacant

Main Eventers:

Bret Hart

British Bulldog

Diesel

Pyscho Sid

Razor Ramon

Shawn Michaels

The Undertaker

Upper Midcarders:

Ahmed Johnson

Goldust

Jeff Jarrett

Jerry Lawler

Marty Jannetty

Owen Hart

Yokozuna

Midcarders:

1-2-3 Kid

Bart Gunn

Billy Gunn

Bob Holly

Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Isaac Yankem

King Mabel

Phatu

Savio Vega

Tatanka

The Ringmaster

Lower Midcarders:

Al Snow (formerly Avatar)

Henry O. Godwinn

Sir Mo

Skip

Zip

Openers:

Barry Horowitz

Duke Droese

Hakushi

Rad Radford

Enhancement Talents:

Brooklyn Brawler

Justin Credible (formerly Aldo Montoya)

COMMENTARY (Monday Night Raw):

Announcer: Jim Ross

Colour Commentator 1: Vince McMahon

Colour Commentator 2: Jerry Lawler

COMMENTARY (WWF Superstars):

Announcer: Todd Pettengill

Colour Commentator 1: Curt Hennig (Injured, But Available For Angles)

Colour Commentator 2: Roddy Piper

NOT AVAILABLE:

Buddy Landel (Out Injured)

Crush (In Prison)

Jake Roberts (Sent To Rehab)

RAW Incidents:

Jake Roberts showed up to work drunk, was sent to rehab.

Our positive meddling between Savio Vega and The Undertaker worked; they now have a Strong Friendship

MONDAY NIGHT RAW (WEEK 1, JANUARY 1996)

Lawrence Joel Coliseum (Winston-Salem, NC)

14.600 (SELL OUT!)

PRE-SHOW:

Bob Holly defeated Barry Horowitz (34)

- The intense physicality of the match was too much for some of the fans

Isaac Yankem defeated Phatu (58)

Men On A Mission defeated The Bushwhackers (41)

- King Mabel is not suited to his gimmick

- Bushwhacker Luke was really off his game

(The show opens with The Kliq standing in the ring, getting ready to cut a promo on the rest of the roster.)

Razor Ramon: So all of you people in the crowd are wondering why we're in the ring together. Simple answer is: We dictate wrestling now. Not Vince McMahon, not Jim Cornette, not James J. Dillon. We own wrestling. So what does that mean for the rest of the WWF roster? All of you will lay down and let us piss in your mouths on national television... or you're history! I've got Vince McMahon hostage, I've got J.J. Dillon shaking in his boots, and I'm sure as hell not being bossed around by some fat dork in glasses.

Shawn Michaels: You guys all thought I'd be a 'good little boy' after my injury? After all of the bullcrap about me being too pilled up for wrestling? I don't care what you people think anymore! Especially those losers Carl Oulette and Skip.

(Just as they're about to continue on with the promo, Jim Cornette and the rest of his stable, dubbed 'Camp Cornette' arrive to the ring)

Jim Cornette: Wait just a damn minute! You actually think you can just 'convince' Mr. McMahon to do your bidding? If it's that easy to bully around the boss of WWF, then I'll be damned if he runs for president of the United States, and as far as I'm concerned about 1-2-3 Kid, I'm not worried about him jumping to The Kliq 'cause he couldn't whip anybody with a 50-foot bullrope. Don't laugh, Razor, you're the one that got beat by him. (83)

- Razor Ramon, HHH, and Shawn Michaels did well without a script

- 1-2-3 Kid struggled without a script

- Shawn Michaels performed well

- 1-2-3 Kid was underwhelming

- A future face turn was hinted at for Jim Cornette

(Ted DiBiase comes out to ringside)

Ted DiBiase: What are you doing with those overpaid, obnoxious morons? I thought you were Million Dollar through and through? Maybe I'll think twice before ever giving you that push! Tonight, consider the 1-2-3 Kid 3-2-1 History as you go up against Pyscho Sid tonight! (81)

- Ted DiBiase, The Ringmaster, Razor Ramon, Diesel, and Shawn Michaels did well without a script

- HHH did poor without a script

- The performance of Psycho Sid was good

- 1-2-3 Kid was underwhelming

- Diesel looked good

- HHH did not come out of this looking good

AL SNOW VS. JUSTIN CREDIBLE (WWF Hardcore Championship) (25)

Justin Credible goes over Al Snow to become the first-ever WWF Hardcore Champion.

- The chaos of the match hid how poorly Justin Credible performed

- The dangerous spots, overbooking, and intense physicality of the match didn't sit well with the crowd

- Justin Credible's new Extremist gimmick and Al Snow's new Crazy gimmick both got an Above Average rating

(After a commercial break, Jim Cornette and Clarence Mason are seen arguing over Mason not being allowed at ringside)

Clarence Mason: Why the hell did you block me from ringside? Is this some sort of negro thing you have against me?

Jim Cornette: I'll tell you what, you no-good weasel, I have never had anything against the black community, and I never will. You wanna know why I don't let you out there anymore? Because you're as dull as a butter knife! You seriously think because of your skin color that you automatically deserve a place on this roster? The only reason you were brought on this roster was to stare blankly at a camera and call that managing wrestlers. You're done! Thank you, **** you, bye! (62)

- Jim Cornette did well without a script

THE SMOKIN' GUNNS © VS. THE BODYDONNAS (WWF Tag Team Championships)

The Smokin' Gunns go over The Bodydonnas and defend the WWF Tag Team Titles. Zip was late and Skip had to fend for himself for half the match. (48)

- Bart Gunn seemed off his game

- Sunny did some good work at ringside

- Zip is not suited to his gimmick

- Zip and Sunny are an awkward pairing, they seem to throw each other's timing off

(Skip is angry at his tag partner, Zip, for being late)

Skip: Are you drunk? We lost our chance at the WWF Tag Team Title because you were late to the brawl. This can't happen again, or we're done! (54)

- Sunny helped Zip and Skip during this segment

- Zip is not suited to his gimmick

- Zip and Sunny are an awkward pairing, they seem to throw each other's timing off

THE RINGMASTER VS. MARTY JANNETTY

The Ringmaster goes over Marty Jannetty. (59)

- Lifting the crowd didn't really achieve much as they were already hot

(We go to Raymond Rougeau interviewing Jeff Jarrett)

Raymond Rougeau: Tonight, you will be facing Ahmed Johnson in a singles match tonight here at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum in Winston-Salem. What are your thoughts on the match?

Jeff Jarrett: You know, my thoughts on the situation ain't gonna matter that much, 'cause we all know he can't speak worth a lick. Anything that comes out of his stupid mouth is gibberish, and so when I get into that ring and I teach that hoodlum a lesson once and for all, I will be the next Intercontinental champion (the match is for the #1 contendership)! (54)

- Jeff Jarrett was very poor when trying to improvise dialogue

PSYCHO SID VS. 1-2-3 KID

1-2-3 Kid upsets Psycho Sid after the 4 other Kliq members interfere and attack Sid.

- Ted DiBiase did some good work at ringside

- Psycho Sid and Ted DiBiase have absolutely zero chemistry together

(After a commercial break, Jeff Jarrett and Ahmed Johnson are seen in the ring confronting each other)

Jeff Jarrett: What've you gotta say, you big dumb gorilla?

Ahmed Johnson: Listen! I ain't sitting here and letting you knock my complexion all day! That don't fly around Ahmed Johnson! Time to get it on! (60)

- Ahmed Johnson struggled when going off-script

- This storyline lost heat

JEFF JARRETT VS. AHMED JOHNSON

Ahmed Johnson triumphs over Jeff Jarrett, getting his revenge over controversial comments by his opponent. (49)

(We cut to Goldust and Owen Hart having a conversation backstage)

Goldust: You know, Owen, I've always wanted to know what a good time feels like... I've always wanted to bite that pillow... I've alwa-

Owen Hart: I'm sorry, Goldie, but we here at the Hart Foundation... don't roll like that. (77)

- Owen Hart was superb working without a script

- Jim Cornette helped Owen Hart during this segment

- Owen Hart's turn suffered as a result of too many 'shock' turns with little build-up; The fans are becoming jaded

(Marlena sprays down the ring with perfume while the two are busy arguing. Could this be a trick up her sleeve?) (77)

- Goldust did excellent without a script

- Bret Hart struggled without a script

MAIN EVENT

BRET HART © VS. GOLDUST (WWF World Heavyweight Championship)

Bret Hart overcomes the perfume in the ring and a flurry of bizarre behaviors from Goldust to retain the WWF World Heavyweight Title. (55)

- This match got the crowd hotter

- The dangerous spots and intense physicality in the match didn't go down well with some parts of the crowd, it was too much for them

- Bret Hart score: 93

- Goldust score: 78

SHOW RATING: 54

- The general feeling is that WWF don't have enough interesting storylines going on

- There weren't enough attractive women on the show to satisfy the WWF's core male audience (ratio: 2:42)

- This show lost us popularity in 11 regions

FUTURES LEAGUE PERSONNEL:

OWNER: Bill Behrens

BOOKER: Kenny Bolin

TRAINER(S):

Bob Backlund

COMMENTATORS:

Jean Brassard (PBP)

Gorilla Monsoon (Colour)

REFEREE(S):

Dave Hebner

ROSTER:

Ace Steel

Alex Shane

Brandi Alexander

Chris Harris

CW Anderson

D'Lo Brown

Doug Basham

Homicide

Isaac Yankem

Jamie Knoble

Jeff Hardy

Joanie Laurer

Kazushige Nosawa

Kid Kaos

King Mabel

Lady Victoria

Mark Henry

Masayuki Naruse

Mr. Aguila

Rad Radford

Sachie Nishibori

Scott Taylor

Shane Helms

Shannon Moore

Shawn Stasiak

Sir Mo

Sweet Destiny

Teddy Hart

TJ Wilson

Tony DeVito

Trent Acid

Violet Flame

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p>WWF SUPERSTARS</p><p>

PIZZITOLA SPORTS CENTER</p><p>

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND</p><p>

2,800 (SELL OUT!)</p><p> </p><p>

ANNOUNCER: Todd Pettengill</p><p>

COLOUR COMMENTATOR: Roddy Piper</p><p>

GUEST COLOUR COMMENTATOR: Shawn Michaels</p><p> </p><p>

Locker Room Incidents:</p><p>

Our positive meddling between Paul Bearer and Jim Ross worked; they now have a Strong Friendship</p><p> </p><p>

PRE-SHOW:</p><p> </p><p>

Tatanka defeated Marty Jannetty (53)</p><p>

- This match deserved better announcing</p><p> </p><p>

Al Snow and Goldust defeated The Million Dollar Corporation (The Ringmaster and Psycho Sid) and The Bushwhackers (60)</p><p>

- Ted DiBiase did some good work at ringside</p><p>

- Psycho Sid and Ted DiBiase have absolutely zero chemistry together</p><p>

- Bushwhacker Butch was really off his game</p><p>

- This match deserved better announcing</p><p>

- Goldust and The Ringmaster came out of this match looking good</p><p> </p><p>

(SHOW START)</p><p> </p><p>

DUKE DROESE VS. MATT HARDY</p><p>

Matt Hardy pulled off a bit of an upset over Duke Droese (10)</p><p>

- Matt Hardy has debuted his Daredevil gimmick; It has gotten an initial rating of Above Average; He is getting better at his gimmick</p><p>

- The crowd were totally turned off by having a match between jobbers on the main show</p><p>

- The announcing quality lifted the match</p><p>

- The colour commentary gave the match a boost</p><p>

- The match was a terrible way to start the show and killed the crowd right away</p><p>

- The match was poorly placed, a high spot based match really needs a crowd who are buzzing and ready for action</p><p> </p><p>

(A pre-recorded video of Brother Love complaining to Linda McMahon about Savio Vega's drug operation plays)</p><p> </p><p>

Brother Love: Savio is committing a sin against god by peddling drugs to other wrestlers. HE MUST REPENT! HE MUST REPENT!</p><p> </p><p>

Linda McMahon: Why are you calling me at 12 p.m.?</p><p> </p><p>

Brother Love:... HE MUST REPENT!</p><p> </p><p>

Linda McMahon: Tell you what, if this will get you off my back, I'll take care of him. Now let me sleep! (38)</p><p> </p><p>

SAVIO VEGA VS. BROOKLYN BRAWLER</p><p>

Savio Vega dominates the match and wins and then narrowly escapes being ambushed by Brother Love (40)</p><p>

- Savio Vega was really off his game</p><p>

- Savio Vega's new Drug Dealer gimmick has gotten an initial rating of Below Average</p><p> </p><p>

(Mark Canterbury, Vince McMahon, and Vince Russo are seen arguing inside the hallway)</p><p> </p><p>

Mark Canterbury: I'm tired of being left off the card, McMahon! I've got over 200 guns in my basement and I'm not afraid to use 'em!</p><p> </p><p>

Vince Russo: Don't do it! Don't shoot up the WWF Headquarters!</p><p> </p><p>

Vince McMahon: CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN! Ok, you've got your spot on Raw! (52)</p><p>

- Mark Canterbury was terrible, with no script to follow his dialogue was a mess</p><p>

- Vince McMahon clearly enjoyed having the freedom to go off-script and performed well</p><p> </p><p>

THE SMOKIN' GUNNS © VS. HAKUSHI & BARRY HOROWITZ (WWF Tag Team Championships)</p><p>

The Smokin' Gunns score an easy victory over Hakushi & Barry Horowitz, successfully defending the titles again. (38)</p><p>

- Hakushi and Barry Horowitz don't work well as a team, their timing is all over the place</p><p>

- Two crazy matches in quick succession doesn't really work, they need staggering so the crowd can catch their breath</p><p> </p><p>

(Razor Ramon is interviewed by Dok Hendrix)</p><p> </p><p>

Dok Hendrix: Ladies and gentlemen, hold the phone, because it's none other than Razor Ramon</p><p> </p><p>

Razor Ramon: I'm not too impressed with you, Ahmed. You beat some redneck. Big deal, chico. Come Royal Rumble, Imma have the money... the women... and the gold. (75)</p><p>

- Razor Ramon improvised well throughout the segment</p><p> </p><p>

JUSTIN CREDIBLE © VS. ZIP (WWF Hardcore Championship)</p><p>

In an impromptu match for the Hardcore title inside a boiler room, Justin Credible defeats Zip handily</p><p>

- Justin Credible was really off his game</p><p>

- Zip is not suited to his gimmick</p><p>

- Sunny did some good work at 'ringside'</p><p>

- Zip and Sunny are an awkward pairing, they just have no chemistry whatsoever</p><p>

- Two crazy matches in quick succession doesn't really work, they need staggering so the crowd can catch their breath</p><p> </p><p>

(Phatu is seen shocked over the fact that 75 Playboy magazines were found in the WWF locker room)</p><p> </p><p>

Phatu: Why were there 75 Playboy magazines in the WWF locker room?</p><p> </p><p>

Mark Canterbury: None of your business, fat boy!</p><p> </p><p>

Phatu: I'm not fat, I only eat well!</p><p> </p><p>

Mark Canterbury: That's what they always say before you have to be forklifted out of bed, son!</p><p> </p><p>

Phatu: RAH! </p><p> </p><p>

(A fight breaks out between the two before they are separated by Mr. Fuji, Earl Hebner, James J. Dillon, Tim White, Vince McMahon, and Vince Russo.) (54)</p><p>

- Tim White is not suited to his gimmick</p><p> </p><p>

PHATU VS. JERRY LAWLER</p><p>

Jerry Lawler wins after Mark Canterbury interferes and viciously attacks Phatu (57)</p><p>

- The match deserved better announcing</p><p>

- The 'Canterbury Shall Rise Again' storyline has gained heat</p><p> </p><p>

(in the locker room, The Smokin' Gunns talk trash about the Bodydonnas)</p><p> </p><p>

Billy Gunn: Man, those flaming homosexuals in yoga shorts sure can't cooperate as a tag team!</p><p> </p><p>

Bart Gunn: Yeah, one of them couldn't even beat Barry Horowitz.</p><p> </p><p>

Billy Gunn: Who the hell are fielding these joke tag teams anyway?</p><p> </p><p>

Bart Gunn: Probably themselves and their rich daddies and mommas. (59)</p><p>

- Bart Gunn enjoyed having the freedom to go off-script and performed well</p><p>

- Billy Gunn well throughout the segment</p><p> </p><p>

MAIN EVENT</p><p>

THE UNDERTAKER VS. BRITISH BULLDOG VS. OWEN HART</p><p>

British Bulldog wins the all-out contest after pinning The Undertaker while Owen Hart was 'flashed' by Goldust (76)</p><p>

- The Undertaker was really off his game</p><p>

- At the announcing desk, Todd Pettengill was pretty weak</p><p>

- The match deserved better announcing</p><p>

- This match got the crowd buzzing</p><p>

- The 'The Kliq Takes Over' storyline has gained heat</p><p> </p><p>

SHOW RATING: 64</p><p>

-There weren't enough attractive women on the show to satisfy the WWF's core male audience (ratio: 2:41)</p></div><p></p><p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46005" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Seriously, a mass shooting joke?<p> </p><p> Just read more. This is just vulgar to be vulgar. Remember this is a PG site.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The diary is called <em>Dawn of Attitude</em>, that stuff was par for the course in the late 1990s. Okay, maybe only the ECW would've dared making such a joke but, still.</p>

Archived