WCW '94: Getting Corny

<p>After PPV Meetings:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Cornette's Notebook:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Backstage after the pay per view, I got a chance to talk with the talent, below are the key notes.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair</strong> - Thanked him for a great match tonight. Reminded him of the next part of my plans and told him to make sure to bring it next Saturday. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hogan</strong> - Praised him for a great crowd tonight and told him to prepare for a hell of a ride with the belt. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Paul Roma, Rip Rogers, Craig Pittman, and Tommy Rogers</strong> - Advised these guys I would be using them more in a mid-card role, it would be a small push but they needed to prove me right. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Doug Furnas, Phil LaFon and Frank Anderson </strong>- Told these three they would be working more Lower Midcard matches, less dark matches and less on the B show as a result. </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Johnny B. Badd</strong> - Advised Johnny that I still had nothing for him. Let him know that he would be in lower-profile matches moving forward after the next Clash.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Booker T, Paul Orndorff, Steven Regal </strong>- Advised these guys to get ready for more prominent positions on the card. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Brad Armstrong</strong> - Told Brad he would no longer tag with his brother and that I would be dropping him down the card a bit.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kevin Sullivan</strong> - Advised Kevin he would be main eventing soon</p>

<p>July Week 4</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:36px;">WCW SATURDAY NIGHT </span><span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#FFFF00;">C+</span></span><span style="font-size:36px;"> </span></p><p>

- Live from Worcester Centrum in Worcester, MA in front of 10000 fans <strong>SOLD OUT!</strong>.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>Dark Matches:</strong></span></p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Al Snow</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Bobby Walkerr </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>D+</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Paul Orndorff</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Erik Watts </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>C-</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Young Pistols</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Sudden Impact </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>C-</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:24px;">Live Broadcast</span></strong></p><p>

<em>Ric Flair's music opens the show. Flair steps through the curtain, fully robbed, the robe is cinched closed tightly, smiling from ear to eat.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>JR:</strong> For someone who lost the world title last night at the Bash, I wouldn't think he would be smiling. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Followed by Arn Anderson who's in blue jeans and a plain black t-shirt. Flair walks to the ring slowly, the smile never leaving his face. Mean Gene awaits him in the ring. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mean Gene:</strong> Ric Flair, you seem awful happy tonight. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> That's right Mean Gene! The Nature Boy is on top of the World tonight! WOOOO! </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Anderson steps forward to speak</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Arn: </strong>Nature Boy has every right to be happy Mean Gene. Everyone around the world saw the type of cheater that Hulk Hogan is last night at the Bash, he had to have Sting cheat and attack me last night, that type of distraction cost my boy the WCW Title. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> Gene-o! Hogan may have caught me distracted and taken the WCW Title temporarily, but he won't have that luck with my friends at ringside. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mean Gene:</strong> Friends? You had Arn on your side secretly last night and it didn't help. How will it be.....</p><p> </p><p>

<em>"No one knows what it's like".....the opening refrain from Behind Blues comes across the loudspeaker and through the curtain steps the "Badman" Larry Zbyszko, he's also in blue jeans and a black t-shirt, stone-faced he walks to the ring carrying a duffle bag.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mean Gene:</strong> Larry Zbyszko, what are you doing out here? </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Arn: </strong>I've asked my old buddy Zbyszko here to step out of retirement and join me back in the ring full time! That's right the band is back together. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Flair laughing takes the duffle bag from Zbyszko.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> Now that I've gotten my "enforcers" with me I'm going back to the top and taking that strap off Hulk Hogan and putting it back on the Nature Boy where it belongs. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Flair begins to speak louder, and faster. Face getting red.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> You might have the WCW Title around your waist and I do plan to take it back! You may have beaten me last night for that belt! But, I've got something here more prestigious and I think it's going to cause you a little bit of mental grief. Roll the footage. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>A video package begins to play, the stamp on the video reads 4/24/1982 American Wrestling Association. The footage is old, a bit grainy, the sound distorted a bit, a man is standing in the ring with a microphone. "As AWA president I am stripping Hulk Hogan of the AWA World Title and his reign will be removed from the history books for his use of a foreign object against Nick Bockwinkle, the title will be returned to Bockwinkle." The time stamp changes to 4/24/1982 American Wrestling Association. The same man is in the ring, "One year ago today, I had to strip Hulk Hogan of the title. In tonight's Title match here at Super Sunday, again Hulk Hogan will relinquish the title to Bockwinkle and will not be recognized. "</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Heenan: </strong>I was there Jim Ross. I saw Stanley Blackburn strip that cheater both times. Just like Dusty Rhodes needs to strip him now. </p><p> </p><p>

Flair unzips the bag, his smile grows even bigger. He slowly pulls out the AWA World Heavyweight Title. Holds it high into the air. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> That's right Hulk Hogan! Mr. Zbyszko the reigning AWA Champion since 1990 has just relinquished his belt to the Nature Boy, the new AWA World Champion! Oh but Hogan, I got some more pain for you big boy. Show it. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>A new video package begins. The date reads 5/25/1979. This time there is no footage, just still images. It appears to be Memphis Wrestling. Hulk Hogan has the NWA World Title in his hand, he looks angry, Harley Race is pointing an accusing finger at Hogan, another man is in the ring with a mic. We cut back to Flair who now has the AWA Title over his shoulder.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair:</strong> That's right Hogan I have the photo! That's the night in Alabama that you cheated to win the NWA World Title, before once again being stripped on the same night, not to be recognized! You might have the WCW Title and its 3-year lineage. But you're looking at the NWA World Champion and its decades of history, the AWA Champion and its decades of history! That's right Hogan your looking at the man who is STILL the real world's champion! WOOOOOO! </p><p> </p><p>

<em>Anderson and Zbyszko are standing behind him, shaking their heads in agreement, when a lispy voice interrupts. Out comes Dusty Rhodes, headed for the ring. A mark is still visible on his face from last nights Bash at the Beach. </em></p><p><em>

</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Dusty:</strong> You made a big mistake Daddy. You brought these belts into the WCW, you claim that you are the World's Champion. That means that I have the right to sanction those belts, as recognized by the WCW and it means I can make you defend them! So at Clash of the Champions Ric, you will defend both of those belts, separately, in the same night! </p><p> </p><p>

<em>All three men begin to become enraged at this announcement. Anderson and Zbyszko can be heard yelling "You can't do that!", Anderson shoves Dusty and the two begin to argue, suddenly from the back appears Dustin Rhodes who runs to the ring and stands by his father, putting space between The Enforcers and his dad, Flair composes himself and steps face to face with Dusty.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>JR:</strong> Dustin recognized the danger his daddy was in and got his but down here to back him up. It's still 3 on 2 out here, Sting, Hogan if you can hear this you need to help Dustin even these odds. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Dusty:</strong> Don't step on me Ric Flair, I'll put all three of you down. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Flair: (Speaking very deliberately but with his sly smile returning)</strong> Easy Dream, I got one more surprise. You see as Arn and Larry and I was driving into town tonight we realized that the three of us just don't make any sense. We've been up and down these roads, we figure we need a fourth man out here with us, someone with some pedigree, someone who knows this business as well we do. We felt it would only be "Natural" to get a young stallion to join these thoroughbreds up here.</p><p> </p><p>

<em>As Flair's final words began to fall on Dusty's ears, a look of dread and understanding comes across his face. He slowly begins to turn towards Dustin who is now facing him. Without hesitation and a look of hatred in his eyes Dustin kicks his dad in the stomach and plants him with a nasty looking DDT, he pops up grabs the mic and begins to speak. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Dustin:</strong> For years, all I have heard is pay your dues kid, take your licks kid, you'll make it. For weeks the Stud Stable and Terry Funk have attacked, harassed and embarrassed me and still, you say, pay your dues, keep learning. I won the United States Title and still, it was the same old story, pay your dues; take your licks. Funk wasn't making me pay my dues dad, he was coming at me because he couldn't come at you! I was taking your licks, I was paying for your mistakes, I was facing YOUR ENEMIES! Well no more! The Nature Boy sees the champion I am, he sees the destination for my career! I'm tired of your garbage, you go back to your new family, you play with your new son, because as far as I'm concerned Dustin Rhodes is dead! </p><p> </p><p>

<em>The four men step over Dusty who is laying in the ring, in pain, both mental and physical. All four men shoot an all too familiar hand signal into the air. The sign of the Four Horseman, almost instantly the music for the Four Horsemen blares across the arena. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Heenan: </strong>The Horseman are back JR! This is great!</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>JR: </strong>This is the darkest day in professional wrestling history. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong> B+</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:18px;">TV TITLE MATCH</span></strong></p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Brian Pillman</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Lord Steven Regal by DQ </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>C+</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:18px;">

</span></p><p>

<em><strong>JR CALL:</strong></em><em> Brian Pillman was just cheated out of the TV Title by Jean Paul and Sir William. These two will do anything to keep Regal champion</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>The Steiner Brothers </strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;">def Tex and Shanghai</span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>B-</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<em><strong>JR CALL:</strong></em><em> The Steiners were dominant, it's great to see them back. </em></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><span style="font-size:18px;">

</span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Dusty books tonights Main Event B+</strong></span></p><p>

<em>Dusty Rhodes is backstage, Mean Gene approaches and begins to ask a question about Vader. Dusty cuts him off. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Dusty:</strong> Tonight The Enforcers and Dustin will face Sting, Steamboat, and HULK HOGAN! As for Vader, he's been suspended for his actions last night. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Brian Lee</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Craig Pittman </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>D+</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Ron Simmons</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Jim Duggan</span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>C</strong></span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Meng</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def The Patriot</span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>D+</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ventura:</strong> This is the guy who is going to try and take the TV Title off Lord Steven Regal, you've gotta be kidding me, Ross.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Recap of 4 Corners Tag Team Title at Bash plays B-</strong></span></p><p>

<em>Booker T and Stevie Ray are shown fighting to the back with Cactus Jack in the recap, and Kevin Sullivan being alone to lose the titles. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Booker T</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Cactus Jack </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>B-</strong></span></p><p>

After the match Kevin Sullivan attacks Cactus Jack in the ring, berating him for losing again. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>The Enforcers and Dustin</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> def Sting, Steamboat and Hulk Hogan</span><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong> B-</strong></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> </span></p><p>

<em>Dustin comes to the ring with the Enforcers, but the nameplate on the screen just reads The Enforcers, his name does not appear on the screen. </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

The match is a clean affair but ends in controversy as Dustin (the legal man) tosses Steamboat through the middle rope, he's promptly attacked by Arn Anderson on the outside and the two begin to brawl, Hogan and Sting head over to help but Hogan is intercepted by Larry Zbyszko and Sting by Dustin who is still in the ring. The ref is counting 7...8...., Steamboat attempts to make a break for the ring when Arn hits him with a closed fist knocking him down. 9....10</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

The Horseman win by Countount. </em></p><p><em>

</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Backstage After the show:</strong> <em>Off the air but the cameras are still rolling so the following will be picked up by Meltzer. Hogan sees Cornette for the first time all night, he throws the WCW Title at him. </em></p><p><em>

</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hogan: </strong>What kind of rinky-dink southern bullshit is this Cornette? Three World Titles and Flair has 2 of them? You diminished my strength as Champion in less than 24 hours. There's no reason to even wear that piece of shit to the ring. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Cornette:</strong> Look you primadonna, if you would have gotten here on time tonight I would have had time to go over the plans with you and maybe you would understand. Instead, you want to come yapping at me like a raccoon in a trash eating contest. Give me 5 gd minutes of your time and I think you will be happy with the plans. Let's go to my office. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>The two walk behind closed doors</em></p><p> </p><p>

RATING: 2.25</p>

July 1994 Financial Report to Turner

Starting Budget: 25,000,000.00

Profit/Loss: -10,127,410

Ending Budget: 14,872,590.00

Special Expenditures: 10,500,000.00

American Wrestling Association rights were purchased for 5 million from the Gagne family, all AWA assets were included in the sale.

National Wrestling Alliance World Title full rights purchased for 5 million from the NWA governing body, the NWA World Title was included in the sale as well as all title history and any video or photos pertaining to the belt. The WCW received the rights to use the NWA name in conjunction with the belt. The deal does not grant rights to the full NWA, all other titles will remain the property of the NWA. WCW will not be a member of the NWA.

World Class Wrestling full rights purchased for the WCWA from the Adkisson family for 500,000, all WCWA assets were included in the sale. As part of the deal to reduce the price to 500,000 both Fritz and Kevin Von Erich have been given 3-year deals as road agents for World Championship Wrestling. This purchase was made to prevent Vince McMahon from purchasing up the assets of the only remaining world title with prestige. We will not be using these trademarks in the foreseeable future.

Closing Notes: We expect to operate in the green in August. Our massive expenses in July to purchase the AWA and WCWA and rights to the NWA Title may put a shock to accountants but the cost will be justified in the long run.

WCW Saturday Night August Week 1

WCW SATURDAY NIGHT B

- Live from Gersten Pavilion in Las Angeles, CA in front of 9166 fans.

Dark Matches:

Al Snow def Brian Armstrong D-

Bagwell def Phil LaFon D+

Steiner Brothers def State Patrol C+

Live Broadcast

The Enforcers def The Fantastics C+

HEENAN CALL: Arn and Larry are like a well-oiled machine, it's like they haven't been apart for years.

The Patriot def Big Bad John C-

JR CALL: The Patriot seems to be very frustrated. He's the top contender for the TV Title but Lord Steven Regal Refuses to sign the match contract.

Dusty announces Steamboat and Austin Tonight C+

Dusty tells Mean Gene that if Austin cheats or anyone interferes that Austin will be stripped of the US Title

Cactus Jack def Rip Rogers C+

Mean Gene catches Cactus on the way to the back C+

Cactus tells Mean Gene that he and Sullivan are fine and that Kevin is just trying to make him better.

Brian Pillman def Jean-Paul Levesque C

Steven Regal hits Pillman with the TV Title, the ref catches it and DQ's Jean-Paul.

Sting talks to Mean Gene about Dustin Rhodes B+

Sting tells Mean Gene that tonight he is going to teach Dustin a lesson in respecting his father.

Rock N' Roll Express def Sudden Impact C

HEENAN: These two kids, Sudden Impact is going to go places now that they have James E. Cornette as their manager, he puts tag teams on the map.

Mena Gene talks to Hogan A+

Hogan: You know Mean Gene. Ric Flair comes out here last week and shows the world small pieces of my time in the AWA and the NWA. Yes, Brother the Hulkster may have been stripped of those belts. I may not be recognized as a holder of those titles. But Mean Gene if you take a look at the whole picture you will see that those circumstances were designed to try and kill Hulkamania brother, and you can't kill Hulkamania! Besides the only belt that matters is this WCW WORLD TITLE around my waist, not two paperweights!

Ricky Steamboat def Steve Austin B

Steamboat and Austin have a great match, but in a clean bout Austin can't beat Ricky

WCW TELEVISION TITLE

Lord Steven Regal def Jim Duggan B

Another match, another Jean-Paul, Sir William interferance. Regal retains the titles

Dusty announces NWA Opponent B+

Dusty is in the ring, mic in hand and a smile on his face.

Dusty: Ric Flair, I am going to make this short and sweet. At Clash of the Champions, you will face a great rival for the NWA Title, Ricky Steamboat! You stew on the Nature Boy! Next week I will have the AWA challenger for you!

Sting def Dustin RhodesB

Dustin enters the ring to the Four Horseman theme music, the graphics on the screen do not show a name for him when he enters.

JR: Sting said he's going to teach Dustin respect tonight.

HEENAN: JR, you've already been told Dustin Rhodes does not exist anymore, I don't know why you can't understand that.

JR: Oh come on, I'm looking right at him Brain!

RATING: 2.05

Archived