Idea for Next Bowl Bound and Future Sims

Arlie, I would really like to see the Multuplayer mode expanded and made even better. The idea I am going to list I know can be done cause EA did it in 2002, when almost nobody had high speed internet. Commish creates a league and either puts it on his server or a server from Greydog for maybe 25 a year or so even 50 if you got a top league like gridiron glory. Then everything is always store online, reports are automaticlly created each week and placed in the correct folder and no more downloading the file each week. I know for me it would be great I run a small league with a buddy. The slow part is waiting for me to zip the league upload the league and he to download the league. What if when you logged into the game it would automaticlly go online to the game. Then every move you made was saved onto the actual file. There would be no need for COA files. Although it would be nice for the commish to have a list of human owned teams and after a team is ready to move on it just clicks ready and a check box lights up for the commish to see. I am not saying the whole game is online, you will still have to have it installed on your cpu, but this who make things 100% better. Other ideas steaming from this is You can buid in a live draft for the pro version of the game, since owners can log in. In the pro version if you see cleveland is on you might want to chat it up with him in reference to a trade. Also make sure there is a chat room and you can see what teams are currently online. Please Arlie take this idea in consideration. Let me also be honest I have seen alot of improvements in sim games over the last 4 years, but then again they are about at the same level multiplayer wise. If I dont see a big MP improvement next year I dont think I will upgrade. Matt

This would require a lot of coding to get this working. Most likely A LOT of php coding or something like that. Second party coders could create a version of this, but I don't see it as being feasible to allow owners to make changes to their clubs online. The commish would somehow still have to download everything from the 'site' at a certain time in order to run the sim on his machine.

PHP Coding ...... I dont know how EA did it in 2002, but it wasnt PHP I can tell you that. As the commish you had to go online with your game, once it was online people could connect to it and do there transactions. I like that idea but if you as the commish go offline so does you league. Therefore I am hoping to do the same thing, but have the host run the game 24/7, so guys can log in at anytime. I am not looking for this to 100% webbased. I still want you to have to open BB and go at it from inside the game. Matt

I believe what you are looking for is a league website with a database backend. You could use PHP, JAVA...whatever, to interface with the database, run quieres, etc... When this game creates the webpages before you upload it to the server, it has to, I believe, recreate each html page for each player, theus causing a lot of CPU time but more importantly a large FTP upload. If you had a database you would just be inserting numbers into a table and the already created pages on the webserver would just pull the numbers from the DB for you viewing pleasure. It would be even sweeter if you could do your insertions from in game with the press of a button and maybe 2-4 minutes upload time. The main issue with this, IMO, is that all league commishes would be required to have a website/host with database privlages, along with some DB common knowlege, and the coder(GreyDog, OOTPDev, etc) would need to sit down and make this as 'dummy proof' as possible unless they wanted 100 posts a day on their Troubleshooting forums concerning all of this. I believe the super mod of super mods would be a fan created phpNuke like portal for one of these text sims.

Archived