Why cant we have a champion defend their title throughout the tournament?

We see it in Bellator and I believe other companies have done it as well. Why can't we see the champion in a tournament defend the belt each round? Seems like such an easy thing to add to the game that was over looked.

I'm pretty sure you can just add the belt to be defended when you book the match. That way, he'll defend it in the tournament match.

I'm pretty sure you can just add the belt to be defended when you book the match. That way, he'll defend it in the tournament match.

I never tried that actually, because it's such a niche idea. But I know you can book the title to be defended. The game will only count the "finals" as the defendable bout. It will detect whether the champ is present in the finals. If he is, he will defend. If he's not, a new champ will be crowned. Most players will opt for this way as it might actually be realistic one day, should a company decide on it.

@OP: Would you really want him to be defending it round 1? You are the boss of your own company but that's such a weird thing to implement. That would mean the person "lucky" enough to face the defending champ gets a free title shot. This would cause all sorts of drama in reality, and doesn't make sense. The person r1 would rarely have earned the shot at all. I can see this working if you manually assign the tournament places so a top contender would be up first, but that's a weird way of holding tournaments and - as I said - would never get accepted in reality by the champion as it would give him near unsurmountable odds (3 viable defenses).

The way it works right now makes more sense to me. I can almost guarantee this proposed way will never see the light of day, and asking Adam to change it to this way will make it so the logical way is no longer possible. You say Bellator uses this, but they're basically destroying the belt's prestige this way. It's quite idiotic to have a champ compete in a 8-man one day tournament, because you devalue what it means to be champ. He's just "one of the guys" now fighting for a bigger cause. If you treat your belts like this, you might as well scrap your belts as the crowd won't care for them anymore eventually.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Raufbold_2" data-cite="Raufbold_2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46992" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>why just not have the tournament winner fight the champ for the belt afterwards?</div></blockquote><p> I usually do that but wanted to have someone defend the belt in each round in a one night tournament. I guess just booking the toury and doing it one fight at a time like that works the same way.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gungner" data-cite="Gungner" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46992" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm pretty sure you can just add the belt to be defended when you book the match. That way, he'll defend it in the tournament match.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's actually a great idea. I think ill try it that way.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gungner" data-cite="Gungner" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46992" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's not a one-day tournament though... just thought I'd say that.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I assumed it was, as otherwise there is no problem, as you've indicated yourself. A regular tournament is more of a 'bookkeeper' that adds a cosmetic achievement to the winner. Matches are treated as regular and you can fully edit them.</p><p> </p><p> In the end, most people just gravitate to the way UFC does it. You can do a spread-out 8-man tourney which, essentially, is just a contracted set of fights where you are stuck on who fights who, and if you play on "realism mode" (read: training injuries set to 'very high') you'll need spare fights and will get a bunch of undesirable, likely boring, fights.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46992" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I never tried that actually, because it's such a niche idea. But I know you can book the title to be defended. The game will only count the "finals" as the defendable bout. It will detect whether the champ is present in the finals. If he is, he will defend. If he's not, a new champ will be crowned. Most players will opt for this way as it might actually be realistic one day, should a company decide on it. <p> </p><p> @OP: Would you really want him to be defending it round 1? You are the boss of your own company but that's such a weird thing to implement. That would mean the person "lucky" enough to face the defending champ gets a free title shot. This would cause all sorts of drama in reality, and doesn't make sense. The person r1 would rarely have earned the shot at all. I can see this working if you manually assign the tournament places so a top contender would be up first, but that's a weird way of holding tournaments and - as I said - would never get accepted in reality by the champion as it would give him near unsurmountable odds (3 viable defenses).</p><p> </p><p> The way it works right now makes more sense to me. <strong>I can almost guarantee this proposed way will never see the light of day</strong>, and asking Adam to change it to this way will make it so the logical way is no longer possible. You say Bellator uses this, but they're basically destroying the belt's prestige this way. It's quite idiotic to have a champ compete in a 8-man one day tournament, because you devalue what it means to be champ. He's just "one of the guys" now fighting for a bigger cause. If you treat your belts like this, you might as well scrap your belts as the crowd won't care for them anymore eventually.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I could be wrong but isn't this basically what Rory MacDonald is doing in the Welterweight Grand Prix?</p><p> </p><p> <a href="https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mma/news/bellator-welterweight-grand-prix-michael-page-vs-paul-daley-rory-macdonald-jon-fitch-dazn/xx3wzjbafxn1a8lptcodds8w" rel="external nofollow">Here's</a> a link to a site discussing the tournament.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46992" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I never tried that actually, because it's such a niche idea. But I know you can book the title to be defended. The game will only count the "finals" as the defendable bout. It will detect whether the champ is present in the finals. If he is, he will defend. If he's not, a new champ will be crowned. Most players will opt for this way as it might actually be realistic one day, should a company decide on it. <p> </p><p> @OP: Would you really want him to be defending it round 1? You are the boss of your own company but that's such a weird thing to implement. That would mean the person "lucky" enough to face the defending champ gets a free title shot. This would cause all sorts of drama in reality, and doesn't make sense. The person r1 would rarely have earned the shot at all. I can see this working if you manually assign the tournament places so a top contender would be up first, but that's a weird way of holding tournaments and - as I said - would never get accepted in reality by the champion as it would give him near unsurmountable odds (3 viable defenses).</p><p> </p><p> The way it works right now makes more sense to me. I can almost guarantee this proposed way will never see the light of day, and asking Adam to change it to this way will make it so the logical way is no longer possible. You say Bellator uses this, but they're basically destroying the belt's prestige this way. It's quite idiotic to have a champ compete in a 8-man one day tournament, because you devalue what it means to be champ. He's just "one of the guys" now fighting for a bigger cause. If you treat your belts like this, you might as well scrap your belts as the crowd won't care for them anymore eventually.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> When I first heard of Bellator doing this I thought it was one of the worst ideas i've ever heard of. How many people in the tournament are even worthy of the title shot? But it really got me thinking, it would be nice idea for a "Bellator" like company. The UFC is a night and day difference compared to any other company. I guess looking back at the thread I did over look the fact that Bellator does this over the course of months, not one night. In a "fantasy" setting it would be a fun extra option to have though. I agree it is a wacky idea, but once in a blue moon for fun would be good. I Just like having that extra fantasy option. The only reason why I want him to defend it round 1 as an option is because I hate the idea of putting the champ in the tourny and forcing them to vacate it. It wouldnt really be a tournament idea that I would book all the time, more so as a special like the Bellator Tournament currently.</p><p> I dont agree necessarily everytime about it devaluing the championship (depending on the situation) however that's besides the point. Like I said it would be a fun extra option. You technically can do this but it just vacates the title, why not allow the champ to keep it? Not that big of a deal IMO.</p>

Every extra option that we can get would be lovely, I agree, but I'm guessing this one is not just something you can toggle on or off. I hope I'm wrong (and I REALLY hope there is another WMMA on the horizon). But holding a one-night tourney within the current mechanics of the game is just weird. You're not getting anything out of it. There is 0 extra attendance as the first defense is a main card fight. Based on that fact the prestige of the title will take a huge hit, making the main event less interesting. This might not be 'realistic', but the game is just not meant to support this. And to be fair you would have to use your standard title defense rules, which basically makes the entire tournament 5x5 in most promotions, which is madness (just for fun: try this and see if the main event is fun to watch :p).

I've taken a look at the link and you are right, there are 3 defenses planned, but this is NOT a one-night event so that makes it perfectly fine in my book. He is somehow fighting the arguably most decorated fighter of the bunch, Jon Fitch, for his first defense. I don't think that's an accident. So that makes the defense legit. After that he's fighting a winner and a fighter who will be "hot" by definition, no matter how lame the wins will be.

Fitch might just get this title shot, but it's not just random. Bellator is all about over-evaluating fighters past their prime who are well known.

But to be clear: this way is perfectly possible in-game.

And a separate "tourney" belt is a great idea. Would be great to see if the champ can defend it after a year. Also interesting for the player as you'll have to make some decisions in case they are in fact defending champions (if playing on realistic settings).