Rising Storms 2K20[January 1991] Hype

It's January 1st, 1991. The wrestling world doesn't know it yet, but everything is about to change.

The past half decade has been the biggest boom period in wrestling history. Despite a recession, the World Wrestling Federation, the global leader in wrestling based in the United States, has seen its fortunes shoot through the roof. Their success has largely been built on the strength of Hulk Hogan's popularity and the growth of WrestleMania. The territory system is all but dead, with only a few promotions still holding onto the NWA banner. Notably, World Championship Wrestling, the successor company to Jim Crockett Promotions now owned by TBS, Inc., still carriers the torch for the NWA. For how much longer is anyone's guess.

Throughout the United States, countless independent promotions continue to spring up and gasp for air. A promoter from New York, Herb Abrams, has resurrected the UWF name due to lack of copyright protection and conned a broadcaster into distributing his show despite a lack of big budget production.

Japan is entering its own golden age; a golden age of heavyweights for All Japan and Junior Heavyweights for New Japan. With aces like Tsuruta still in their prime, legends like Inoki, Baba and Andre the Giant still working tours and young stars like Misawa, Kawada, Liger, Chono and Muta all rising up the card, the 90s are shaping up to be perhaps the greatest decade in the history of Japanese wrestling.

Additionally, the growth of Japanese independent wrestling is unprecedented. Hardcore "garbage" feds like W*NG and FMW are blazing a new trail in wrestling while men like Tenryu try to break the stranglehold of the big two. Joshi Puroresu is stealing the show with women like Bull Nakano, Reggie Bennett, Akira Hokuto and many others putting on matches that rival the men.

Still, storms are rising in the wrestling world. Storms capable of doing significant damage. How the wrestling world is shaped at the end is anyone's guess, but one thing is certain: night is falling on the Golden Era and the dawn will bring with it certain change.

Work has been steady on Risky Business and I figured I'd announce my next project. justtxyank was kind enough to allow me to take over his wonderful 1991 project.

I love this mod so much, super hyped for it to come over. Just hope its compatible with MSP/NGO

It'll be using a modified ngo pack featuring cuts I've made and cuts Taker made. It'll be the same pack Risky Business uses.

Yes! I love this MOD 1991 I played in TE 2016.

Same here.

A couple notes about the 2016 version:

• Make sure that Dave Taylor is only once in the game.

• Hogan - Earthquake and Rockers - Orient Express were two additional feuds in WWF going into 1991

• If you look at the house show attendance at that time, the debacle that was Starrcade 1990 and losing $6.5 - $7 million that year, WCW's popularity should actually be 10 (Mid Atlantic, South East) to 20 points (Tri State, Puerto Rico, Hawaii) lower than in the mod, the start money should be significantly lower, and perhaps 60 prestige and 30 momentum.

• Owen Hart took a short break and didn't wrestle until early March.

• I'm not sure if Hall & Nash were already friends at that point.

Same here.

• Hogan - Earthquake and Rockers - Orient Express were two additional feuds in WWF going into 1991

• If you look at the house show attendance at that time, the debacle that was Starrcade 1990 and losing $6.5 - $7 million that year, WCW's popularity should actually be 10 (Mid Atlantic, South East) to 20 points (Tri State, Puerto Rico, Hawaii) lower than in the mod, the start money should be significantly lower, and perhaps 60 prestige and 30 momentum.

Nice points

Same here.

Dave Taylor was already caught. I'll take a look at everything else. Thanks!

This is my favourite. What is your time scale for release?

No timetable as I'm working on Risky Business first.

Dave Taylor was already caught.

Then you're most quicker than I am cause it took my 18 in-game months to figure out that there are two DT's.

---

I got the impression that it's now possible to broad changes to the broadcasts including changing the size of them, so I'd like to contribute a few notes on the historic situation in Germany.

(Maybe this should be moved to its own thread so other can contribute to this for historic accuracy and other mod makers can benefit from this)

Cable TV started in Germany on January 1st, 1984 with two channels: RTL plus (since November 1992 simply known as RTL) and PKS, which changed their name to Sat.1 in January 1985. (Sat.1, as well as the already exiting & established Terrestrial Free-To-Air ARD and ZDF, was never not Highly Against wrestling, btw)

RTL was only available in 200,000 households, so it started as 'tiny'. In early 1986 RTL was available in 1.25 million households. They continued to grow in accessibility and popularity, and their marketshare went from 0.7% in 1986 to 18.9% in 1993 when they became and still are the most popular channel in Germany.

From April 1989 until September 1991 WCW had a show on RTL that first aired at 11pm, later at 1.30am. What led to the cancellation would make a great anecdote in "Death of WCW" ... but anyway, the channel changed their Wrestling Stance during the 89-91 timeframe from Neutral to Against to Highly Against, and September 1991 was the last time wrestling would be seen on RTL.

WWF Challenge aired on Tele 5. It started probably around fall of 1988 when the channel was still small.

By 1991 Tele 5 was a medium-sized channel and the one hour WWF format aired on Fridays at 9pm. WWF PPVs also aired on this commercial cable channel in that time slot, and it stayed that way until Tele 5 went off the air New Years Eve 1992.

At midnight Tele 5 was replaced by DSF, which immediately started to air WCW until the company went out of business in 2001. I'd rank DSF as a small-sized sports broadcast.

Three months later, in March 1993, RTL 2 started and that's where WWF found their new home. In the first year RTL 2 was small-sized and by 94 it became medium-sized. From March 93 until March 96 RTL 2 had a Pro Wrestling Stance, afterwards it was Against, and WWF also moved to DSF.

Dave Taylor was already caught.

Then you're most quicker than I am cause it took my 18 in-game months to figure out that there are two DT's.

---

I got the impression that it's now possible to broad changes to the broadcasts including changing the size of them, so I'd like to contribute a few notes on the historic situation in Germany.

(Maybe this should be moved to its own thread so others can also contribute to this for historic accuracy and other mod makers can benefit from this)

Cable TV started in Germany on January 1st, 1984 with two channels: RTL plus (since November 1992 simply known as RTL) and PKS, which changed their name to Sat.1 in January 1985. (Sat.1, as well as the already exiting & established Terrestrial Free-To-Air ARD and ZDF, was never not Highly Against wrestling, btw)

RTL was only available in 200,000 households, so it started as 'tiny'. In early 1986 RTL was available in 1.25 million households. They continued to grow in accessibility and popularity, and their marketshare went from 0.7% in 1986 to 18.9% in 1993 when they became and still are the most popular channel in Germany.

From April 1989 until September 1991 WCW had a show on RTL that first aired at 11pm, later at 1.30am. What led to the cancellation would make a great anecdote in "Death of WCW" ... but anyway, the channel changed their Wrestling Stance during the 89-91 timeframe from Neutral to Against to Highly Against, and September 1991 was the last time wrestling would be seen on RTL.

WWF Challenge aired on Tele 5. It started probably around fall of 1988 when the channel was still small.

By 1991 Tele 5 was a medium-sized channel and the one hour WWF format aired on Fridays at 9pm. WWF PPVs also aired on this commercial cable channel in that time slot, and it stayed that way until Tele 5 went off the air New Years Eve 1992.

At midnight Tele 5 was replaced by DSF, which immediately started to air WCW until the company went out of business in 2001. I'd rank DSF as a small-sized sports broadcast.

Three months later, in March 1993, RTL 2 started and that's where WWF found their new home. In the first year RTL 2 was small-sized and by 94 it became medium-sized. From March 93 until March 96 RTL 2 had a Pro Wrestling Stance, afterwards it was Against, and WWF also moved to DSF.

Using a converted database to try to get into 2020 and one of the things that has bothered me is the number American workers that get hired by foreign companies. This is particularly important with regards to female wrestlers as there are so few at this time, and I always play with a woman's division. While the hiring of foreign workers has been addressed elsewhere, I thought I'd post a few things I've changed in my data before starting up a game. These changes help address the woman's wrestling situation and the foreign workers situation to some extent. (To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly limited research, each of these are historically accurate.)

Sherri Martel - is set as retired, but I mark her as active and occasional wrestler

Make the following inactive in Mexico: Judy Martin, Wendi Richter, & Susan Sexton

Add Patera Surena as a worker and give her a CMLL contract

Add CMLL contract for Irma Aguilar

Add CMLL contract for Lola Gonzalez

Add CMLL contract for Martha Villalobos

Add CMLL contract for Zuleyma

Add Cynthia Moreno & Ester Moreno as a workers for Mexico & Japan

Edit: Unrelated to the above, but I also add Toru Tanaka as a retired worker to make the WWF tag title lineage show that he and Fuji were three time champions. Throwing it out there as a mainly WWF player.