Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

The year is 1983 and although they don't know it yet. This year wrestling fans are going to witness something that will be a first in professional wrestling history. A mega event, a mass marketed, mass advertised event meant to showcase the best that a wrestling company has to offer. Before Wrestlemania, before Pay-Per View. They would call it Starrcade.

This is the story of the company that helped make it happen, and the owner who's goal is to unite the National Wrestling Alliance under a single banner and try to compete with Vince McMahon.

This is Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

2QYFhHH.jpg

Company Profile

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion

QxJwU1u.jpg

Jack Brisco

Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions

jx1OrJB.jpg

Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood

NWA Television Champion

XpPay1i.jpg

Mike Rotundo

NWA United States Champion

MPxByL1.jpg

Greg Valentine

ALLIANCE TITLES HELD BY OUR WORKERS

NWA World Heavyweight Champion

KpS0gaf.jpg

Ric Flair

NWA World Tag Team Champions

5t9XVwX.jpg

Sgt. Slaughter and Don Kernodle

Mid-Atlantic Signings

Hello Mid-Atlantic fans, got the latest signings for you here in your regularly scheduled newsletter! Below you'll find the latest names being added to Mid-Atlantic along with their expected start dates.

Gordon Solie

6pB2Ylp.jpg

A necessary addition to the commentary booth. Gordon Solie adds legitimacy to the production. It's hard to argue against signing the greatest play by play man our business has seen today. It is thought that two commentary teams will be created. One for Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling and one for World Wide Wrestling. Bob Caudle will remain on commentary. The spot of Johnny Weaver however is where Gordon Solie will slot in, both Caudle and Solie will appear on both television shows. Rich Landrum will join the Mid-Atlantic team on color commentary and David Crockett will stay on World Wide Wrestling. Solie will be expected to start immediately and will be appearing on the next edition of Mid-Atlantic

Eddie Gilbert

Xnh3yOT.jpg

Eddie Gilbert is being viewed as a good hand to have at the midcard level in the locker room, with a potential to one day be amongst the ranks of the company's top heels. Whether or not Gilbert will make it big in Mid-Atlantic is up to him, but there are already rumblings of creative ideas for him once he is added to the roster. Gilbert will be featured mainly on World Wide Wrestling to get audiences accustomed to him before featuring him on the A Show.

Gino Hernandez

cdfmcoT.jpg

A young prospect from Southwest Championship Wrestling. There's very little information my sources can get a hold of when it comes to exactly when we can expect to see Gino appear. Whether this is down to other obligations, storylines or creative, we can not confirm or deny. All we know is Gino is officially a part of the roster.

Randy Savage

F8Nf224.jpg

My sources in Mid-Atlantic tell me they were looking for a new talent to introduce to their region. Randy Savage might be a name that some in the wrestling world are familiar with, however down in Atlanta he is a major unknown. It's thought the company is going to try and build his presence in the region on World Wide Wrestling before considering him for any major developments or storyline

Miss Elizabeth

d8LMYYB.jpg

A complete unknown, apparently this young lady had been seen around some gyms the wrestlers frequented and has an amazing look and personality that seems to have had them raving about her to the office. Whoever "Miss Elizabeth" is, the plan is to bring her in mainly as a valet. Apparently, Elizabeth is already figured in as a valet option for a couple of the wrestlers on the roster and as an option for one of the new signings coming in. Who exactly Elizabeth will valet is anybody's guess.

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Ladies and Gentlemen...This Is The Pinnacle Of The National Wrestling Alliance! This Is The Pinnacle of our Sport...This...is MID-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"width="443" height="443" type="text/html" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N-D4zxivNtE?autoplay=1&fs=1&iv_load_policy=3&showinfo=0&rel=0&cc_load_policy=0&start=0&end=0&origin=https://youtubeembedcode.com"></iframe>

(OOC: Seriously, this theme is the jam!)

6pB2Ylp.jpgD54LQoC.jpgddPF0J2.jpg

Gordon Solie

Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another exciting edition of Mid-Atlantic Championship wrestling, my name is Gordon Solie and may I just say it is an honor to join you here this evening for the very first time. It's an honor and privilege as always to call this great sport called wrestling and it's an even greater honor to do it here, for the N.W.A and for Mid-Atlantic. I'm here alongside a familiar face in Bob Caudle...

Bob Caudle

That's right Gordon! Hello Ladies and Gentlemen an INCREDIBLE evening to kick off our year here tonight, I for one can't wait, it's a new year and a NEW Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. Joining myself and Gordon, mister Rich Lundrum.

Rich Landrum

Gentlemen...we've got the greatest seats in the house, you want to talk about excitement, well I for one am excited for our Main Event tonight, the man who won "Inspirational Wrestler of the year" in 1982! Roddy Piper and he will be taking on Greg "The Hammer" Valentine in the Main Event in a non title match

Gordon Solie

We'll also be discussing the incredible award that Roddy Piper has been awarded by Bill Apter and his publication later on this evening, but also, Wahoo McDaniel in action tonight. There have been some rumblings in the locker room that Wahoo wanted to take on Valentine tonight, but Valentine apparently refused. Whether or not there's any truth to that? Hopefully we will find out...

Bob Caudle

All that and MORE as you join us for the first exciting 1983 edition of Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

Mike Rotundo VS. Porkchop Cash

Mike Rotundo has an impressive showing in his first appearance as Television Champion. He has a worthy opponent in the form of Porkchop Cash standing opposite him. What disappoints us all that despite his amazing abilities, Rotundo still resorts to low down tactics throughout the match, choking Cash on the roped, cheeky little eye pokes and gauges. Just enough to get away with nothing more than a warning from the referee, but also enough to take it's toll on cash over the long run and pick up the win. Rating: C-

Jimmy Valiant VS. Rufus R. Jones

Surprisingly fast paced action here as the Boogie Woogie Man and Rufus R Jones showcased a surprising amount of speed between the two of them, running clotheslines, running body splashes, even a criss-cross at one point! The match would come to an end though once Jimmy Valiant hit his Boogie Woogie Elbow Drop! Rating: C-

Most Inspirational Wrestler of 1982

6pB2Ylp.jpg6aiAJI8.jpg

Gordon Solie

Mid-Atlantic wrestling fans, it is my pleasure to stand here before you today, to present an honor a man on our Mid-Atlantic roster with one of the many prestigious awards handed from a publication that you fans might be familiar with. Bill Apter's Pro Wrestling Illustrated awards a variety of awards each December and after some deliberation and voting amongst members, the publication has named none other than Roddy Piper as it's "Most Inspirational Wrestler" of 1982. This honorary plaque should be a constant reminder that anybody can succeed when they put their mind, body and soul behind it. So folks, please join me in welcoming and congratulating Roddy Piper for winning this award!

Roddy Piper

Thank you Gordon, first of all may I say a huge welcome to you for joining us here on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. I've had the joy and the pleasure of working with you and listening to you in the past and your voice will be a much welcome addition to our promotion.

Roddy Piper

Now...if you'd have told me, when I was fightin' and clawin' and strugglin' my way along the streets! The streets that made me! The streets that formed me! The streets that created the man that you see here before you today...if you'd have told me back then that I would be recieving an award for beig an inspiration...than man...I'd have probably laughed in your face haha! But the only reason I'm able to stand here today and accept this award, is because of this company, this industry, this alliance...which presented an opportunity that up until now...I thought was nothing but a pipe dream? But you know somethin' Solie? I think it's about dang time don't you!

Gordon Solie

Time for what, if you don't mind me asking Roddy? Are you saying...what I think you're saying!

Roddy Piper

You know somethin? YOU'RE GOD D-[CENSORED]-ED RIGHT I AM! FLAIR! I'M TALKIN' TO YOU BUDDY! Ya' know for too long I had to sit back and bite my tongue as I heard time and time and time again, day after day! WEEK AFTER WEEK THAT I WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE SAME CLASS AS YOU! Well this award tells me otherwise brother and ya know somethin' else, these people tell me otherwise! Listen to them Flair!

"PIPER! PIPER! PIPER! PIPER!"

Roddy Piper

Just give me one chance! One opportunity! That's all I need and I don't care who I have to talk to, or more importantly who I have to FIGHT in order to get it! That one chance, that had been presented to me so long ago...the very reason that I joined the National Wrestling Alliance! The reason I joined Mid-Atlantic! To fight amongst the best...and to one day...maybe just one day, be within reach...of those ten pounds of gold...and Solie? Flair? Little Jimmy Crockett if you're listenin' I think that day should be comin' way real soon... Rating B+

Wahoo McDaniel Vs Dick Slater

Wahoo almost seemed like a man possessed as he faced off againstt Dick Slater. With a laser sharp focus, razor edge chops, hard hitting forearms and elbows and an outright devastating Tomahawk Chop that would bring the end to a hard hitting, but unprepared Dick Slater who was not ready for the constant pace that Wahoo would charge with. Rating: B

Running From The Chief...

D54LQoC.jpgT06FnDy.jpg

Bob Caudle

Ladies and gentlemen please join me in congratulating Wahoo McDaniel in his victory tonight! Wahoo, word around the Mid-Atlantic is that you initially challenged Greg Valen-....

Wahoo would snatch the microphone away from Bob Caudle, panting, regaining his breath, sweat dripping down his face...and a wild look in his eyes.

Wahoo McDaniel

Where...is...Greg Valentine? I asked for a match against Greg Valentine tonight Bob Caudle? And yet my requests fell on deaf ears...you know I heard that Valentine was a tough guy, but after asking around the locker room? After heading up to Jimmy Crockett and asking the big man himself why it was I couldn't face the United States Champion tonight and what it was I needed to do to make it happen...

Wahoo slowly turned to Bob Caudle who was looking at The Chief with a hint of fear in his eyes. He hadn't seen such rage from McDaniel before...

Do you know what Jimmy Crockett told me?

Caudle simply shook his head in response, not even daring to produce a murmur from his mouth out of fear.

Wahoo McDaniel

He told me Bob Caudle...he told me that Greg Valentine used a clause in his contract that allowed him as United States Champion...to refuse a challenge as long as it was in a non title contest...and when I asked what Valentine's reasoning was for refusing my challenge? He said something so vile! So disgusting! So...Oh...Oh VALENTINE! I don't have it in me to tell the world what it is you said but you know your words! You know what kind of man you are! Well you know something Greg? Initially I just wanted to fight you, to show the N.W.A, to show Mid-Atlantic and to show Jim Crockett that I was not only a worthy contender of your championship belt...but that I should be the man walking around Mid-Atlantic with that N.W.A United States Championship Belt! So Valentine...keep your eyes wide open, because nobody runs away from the Chief for good! Rating: B+

Main Event

Roddy Piper Vs Greg Valentine

Non Title Match

These men sure as sugar didn't hold back any punches, what essentially turned into an all out brawl between these two tough examples of the Mid-Atlantic roster left some fans gasping and reeling back as if feeling the phantom pains of some of the blows being exchanged. It seemed as if Piper was ultimately going to get the win once he cinched in a tightening sleeper hold on Valentine...but as Valentine slowly withdrew down on to the mat....

TLLYXrY.jpg

RIC FLAIR! RIC FLAIR! RIC FLAIR!

Flair is out, fully clad in his suit, sunglasses and N.W.A World Heavyweight champion. The camera can't entirely pick up what Flair is saying as he's mouthing off at a now distracted Piper, pointing at the belt and turning a bright red as he yells him down. The distraction would be enough to throw Piper off of his game as Valentine takes advantage of the appearance of Ric Flair and would pick up a tainted win over Piper with a small package to the distaste of the fans. Rating: B

Don't Challenge The Man...

TLLYXrY.jpg6aiAJI8.jpg

Piper leaves the ring, ready to confront Flair, but after a cheap shot from Valentine the fan favorite gets knocked down to the mat outside. He nods in a sign of respect and a thank you to the Champion before leaving him to handle his business alone. Flair proceeds to grad Piper by his hair, laying the championship across the floor. He then proceeds to grind Piper's face across the gold of the championship belt, yelling loud enough for the cameras to hear

"THIS IS AS CLOSE AS YOU'LL EVER GET PIPER! THIS IS AS CLOSE AS YOU'LL EVER GET!"

We fade off the air at the sight of Flair continuing to berate and grind Piper's face in this ultimate show of humiliation and embarrassment for the man who had been presented an award earlier in the night... Rating: B+

Final Rating: B

World Wide Wrestling

January 1983 #001

36Qz7CK.jpg

One Man Gang Defeated Mark Youngblood Rated D

Randy Savage Defeated Angelo Mosca Junior Rated D

Gino Hernandez Defeated Skip Young Rated D+

Roddy Piper Defeated Paul Jones Rated B-

Rick Steamboat Defeated Eddie Gilbert Rated B

Final Rating C+

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

January 1983 #002 Match Card

Sgt Slaughter and Don Kernodle Vs. The Mulkey Brothers

Jimmy Valiant Vs Ice Man King Parsons

Bob Orton Vs Jos Leduc

Main Event

Ric Flair Vs Wahoo McDaniel

Queue this theme up with the Guardians of the Galaxy intro in Infinity Wars and the theme is so much more epic.

Sgt Slaughter and Don Kernodle Vs. The Mulkey Brothers

Jimmy Valiant Vs Ice Man King Parsons

Bob Orton Vs Jos Leduc

Main Event

Ric Flair Vs Wahoo McDaniel