How to build up a young lion comeback?

I haven't played TEW since TEW 2010 and never so deeply like now, so I'd really like to know how you'd typically book this, no matter if C-Verse or RW. For example Jay White was a young lion that got his ass beaten all the time even by oldass guys like Tenzan, Kojima, Nakanishi and undercarders like YOSHI-HASHI yada yada. Then he was at ROH for 1 1/2 years and when he came back his first match was challenging Tanahashi for the IC title at Tokyo Dome. I feel like this would be impossible to book on TEW cuz the guy would never have the popularity? How would you do this in the game?

You raise a good topic that needs to be talked about, the game has made strides by adding excursions into the game but it really hasn't developed the feature to really represent how it work's in real life in term's of the jump up the card a lion *can* make (tho it's not guaranteed, look at Yoshi-Hashi who returned when Okada did and had a very different experience)

One way around it is obviously to use the in-game editor to manually improve the popularity of a returning prospect.

I'm aware I should put this in the feature suggestion section but for the sake of discussion, I would like to see some kind of post-excursion re-debut feature that takes into account how successful the excursion was, how much skill was gained and who the lion is booked against upon there return to determine how they now fit into the promotion in terms of popularity, how do other people feel about that sort of thing?

I dont think you're likely to have a world beater return but the way I see it is: if you're sending a worker on an excursion, you're likely playing a performance focused product. If that worker goes on an excursion, you're sort of expecting that they'll improved a decent enough amount. When you bring them back, you should see a worthwhile improvement in how well they perform compared to last time because those changes will look more pronounced in a company that focuses on performance.

When they return, give them their big return against an equally big name and try to capitalize on the combination of their skill gain + the fact that they're facing a popular worker and arguably on a bigger Japanese stage now, to continue that elevation.

At the end of the day, one would have to have several attempts at an excursion return to demonstrate whether the game feasibly executes it or not. In theory I dont see why it wouldnt, but I wouldnt be surprised if some of the game's inadequacies pop up if you actually try to do it.

When you send someone on excursion you have to release them from their contract, so when they come back all of their details are refreshed, momentum, gimmick, etc.

From that point it’s basically treated like any other worker and you can push them as such. The perception system means you don’t need someone to be gaining tons of overness just for coming back, but if you book them strongly they'll go up quickly if they have the skill. It shouldn’t be any harder than pushing a new hire off the streets.

Even Okada in his first match back was not over at all and his challenge to Tanahashi was basically laughed out of the building, but he got wins during the subsequent tour until time for the big win. It was probably too early in TEW terms to put the title on him, but that was the risk they took. It paid off because his skill helped him get over, as opposed to other people doing the same thing who had less success (like Jinder).

Moral of the story is you gotta keep at it, and eventually talent will win out, it is a numbers game after all.

I agree on that part, the problem is I don't know or better said simply don't have experience on how the stats can develop in a year plus in the game so I can only see that these dudes have terrible match after terrible match now with ratings in the 20s and it's hard for me to believe the game will develop them into solid workers in that time but now where I think about it it's possibly more probable than I thought. With Okada in rl I mean his excursion with TNA was horrible but he obviously still had the skills to get over anyway and I'm uncertain how the game will handle it.

The time spent as a young lion losing should raise their overness. More of the audience is aware of this person, despite losing.

Going on excursion and increasing your skill before coming back resets perception. Combining the previous pop gain and the subsequent skill growth + refreshed gimmick gives a whole new start.

Placing a worker's redebut on a big card with an over opponent is totally doable and recreatable and should the worker on a solid path, especially if booked well and is performing.

I don't know about impossible. I'm playing 5SSW right now and signed Kaori Takenouchi. Although not a Young Lion perse, she was dark match worker who hadn't done anything but indie shows in-game. I started up a friendly relationship with QAW and sent her there on excursion and she's gaining popularity like crazy from working their TV shows and in front of their slightly bigger audience than ours, to the point where when she comes back to Japan in a year she'll at least be popular enough to work the main card with no penalties.

Doesn't the new push system kind of help with this? In the sense that if you push someone on shows with big matches and wins, the fans will see them that way, and their pop will build? Jay wasn't over at all for months until around the G-1 a good six months after his return. So it's gradual but the fans saw him as a main eventer before then.