On an Angel's Wings (cverse alt)

For years, Angel Athletic Association has been what I can only describe as a protest movement, as somewhere for women who want to do nothing more than show that they belong in this world. In a time where the biggest companies in the world valued women on their looks and their willingness to bare skin it was home and we were family.

The fans clamoured for change, the big companies responded, evolved, smaller women's promotions all over the world began to spring up, Japan was still strong, Canada has a company with a well received integrated male and female roster. The reins of AAA fell to me, Catherine Quine. I looked at the wrestling landscape in America and...I had doubts, I had a dark night of the soul.

There were so many opportunities available for women and so many more to open up, so many more glass ceilings to shatter and doors to kick open and here we were, the protest movement with nothing left to protest. So what are we? An alternative? We don't have the funds and exposure. A training ground for up and comers? Queens of American Wrestling are all about that and do it better.

Angel Athletic Association no longer had a place, no longer had a purpose. We had won our battle and all we were now was a place that women who could do so much more elsewhere were not because of their loyalty. AAA was no longer the driving force for women's wrestling, AAA was getting in the way.

It was time to step aside, to get out of the way. I had drafted my speech to the girls and the goodbye address and show to the fans, then the universe sent an intervention.

I received a phonecall from the executives of the Women’s Network. They were looking to take advantage of the boom in female wrestling. They wanted a show that would appeal to their viewerbase and perhaps being in some of the men watching with their loved ones and maybe a few of their own accord and who better than the company that has been flying the flag for years. They bought in, my role went from sole owner to CEO. But they were clear in that they were taking a risk, they want something that will become big, that will draw the views, but they won’t pour money into something for nothing forever. We have seven years, to grow, to reach new people.

To ensure that the women's revolution would not be a flash in the pan. This was too important to turn my back on. But can we do it? Can we be seen as a viable longterm product? Can we evolve from protest movement to alternative to leading name in the brand?

It keeps me awake at night, with excitement, with doubt. The former is welcome, the former I need to be infectious, to take the locker room. The latter, the doubts, the worries, they are my burden alone to bear. And for two years I have borne it, the future is no more certain than it was then. We have five years.

The revolution will be televised.

---

Incidents galore!

As I walked into the building there was an atmosphere. I sighed and looked towards Sherrie, “Give me the rundown.”

Sherrie nodded, “Most of it is small fry. Jessie forgot to turn up to a meeting but she’s not even set to debut tonight, this was stuff for the Strength of a Woman. Pinky and Grace are pissing people off a bit with their attitude...we’re women, women bitch, especially when there is resentment over how some went to greener pastures then came back…”

“Jesus Christ still this?”

“I know, right? Tash was more interested in her phone than a lockeroom meeting, already dealt with that one, the beers are on her.” I smirked, the tradition of Wrestler’s Court still dealing with misdemeanours before I have to. “Then there was Fuyoko…”

Oh Christ, I could tell that this one was going to be a headache, “Just tell me.”

“A fan heckled her as she and Shiori came in and she ****ing got into it with them, I just about grappled her around the waist before they started throwing hands.” I couldn’t help but hold my head in my hands, this was all we needed. “It...was bad and could have been a lot worse.”

Count to five, don’t overreact. “Ok, thank you, I’ll deal with it. When I am finished with Jessie do you want to take she, Harpy and Banshee to one side and go over their part in Strength of a Woman with them?”

Sherrie nodded, “Sure thing.”

I counted to five again for good measure then walked over to the group of girls as they were setting the ring up. Given that I did not go into the lockeroom any longer, this was as formal as I wanted it for most of what I had to do. “Gather around ladies.” I waited until I had their attention. “I don’t need to tell you that we have a lot more eyes on us than we used to. That is before we take social media into account. So I am hoping I do not need to say any of this again, we need to sharpen up.”

I held a hand up to forestall any backchat, “After tonight I don’t want to hear about who went to SWF or USPW and came back, with the full blessing of management every step of the way I will point out, I don’t want to hear who came from QAW when we got a television deal. We are one roster fighting for one company and we need to start acting like it.” I looked towards Grace and Pinky especially, letting them know that at least a chunk of this was about them, with a look, that was all this needed. I walked away from the group angling towards Jessie as I did so I could quietly talk to her, “A word?”

She followed me, pensive, I leaned against the wall in the corner of the room, “Sherrie got here early today for your benefit. Now I know Jessica and I know any student of hers would learn what we expect, she has the same values I do. An explanation please?”

She sighed, outside of her costume she looked every bit the teenager she was, “My phone ran out of battery when i was asleep, I was relying on that to wake up.”

I tapped her on the shoulder lightly, “I have an alarm clock if you need the spare, and a phone charger, you can come to me, or any one of us older folk, if you need anything, got that?” She nodded, “Now go have that meeting you missed.” She raised a ghost of a smile and went over to where the others were waiting for her. She, Banshee and Harpy were brand new from the dojos, Harpy and Banshee (neither of which gave me their real names...I suspect they ran away to the carny folk together, possibly to be together given their relationship, as much as they are damn good at it) from Cat’s Lair and Jessie, or Crimson Clare as she would go by on camera, from Jessica Bunny’s dojo the *sigh* Bunny Mansion.

That was the easy one, and one I did not want to be pissed off for. “Fuyoko! My office, now.” I turned and walked to the small room, my posture showing that I expected compliance. I did not need to turn around to hear her following me. I let the door shut, I sat down. I glared at her as she did likewise, “What the hell do you think you were doing?”

“She called me things you should not call a Japanese person, or a woman.”

“Then you consider yourself doing your job as a heel and if they do more than that you let security deal with it.”

“This would not happen in…”

“No, this wouldn’t happen in Japan. The crowd here is different, they heckle, that’s what fans here do. Especially when someone they don’t like has a title. If you can say something back without losing your cool that’s also doing your job as a heel. You. Do. NOT lay hands on a fan or attempt to, do i make myself clear?” Fuyoko looked like she was downright smouldering and gave one sharp nod. “Your pay this month? Don’t expect it, we will be giving it to the fan and hoping they consider this settled. Get out.” As she opened the door I added, “You are on very thin ice. I have never had to blacklist someone but there is no suspension when our deal is on a handshake, there is not being used and there is being asked to not come back.” I let her show herself out. I was tempted to have the SheBeasts drop the titles tonight against my previous booking, hell I was tempted to throw her out now and vacate the titles, if it wasn’t the tag title, involving someone else, and if we didn’t treat our titles with more respect than thirty day reigns…

Well this wasn’t getting things done. I walked out of the office, calling out as I did, “Showtime in ninety minutes girls, I need to go host the preshow.”

---

The AAA logo flashes on the screen over that of the Women’s Network and we are live with the preshow for Pretty Amazing. The scene opens on Catherine Quine sat in a cozy studio room with Alicia Peters and Daisy Hawkins.

Alicia Peters: Welcome wrestling fans to Angel Athletic Association’s live broadcast of Pretty Amazing.

Daisy Hawkins: We have a new year and the ladies of AAA will be keen to start the year as they mean to go on. We are here with CEO Catherine Quine.

Catherine Quine: Thank you ladies, and welcome AAA fans on the Women’s Network. Angel Athletic Association has proudly been bringing women’s wrestling since long before it was cool.”

Catherine winks briefly at the camera, all frustrations from earlier in the evening not showing.

Alicia Peters: Do you think you could run us through what to expect for tonight?

Catherine Quine: Sure thing Alicia. Lora Washington, Simony Sentinel and Katherine Goodlooks will be taking on the team of Tracy Brenden and the Uprising, Talia Quinzel and Seline Svelte.

Daisy Hawkins: Speaking of Lora, how is Miss Liberty?

Catherine Quine: She is doing well and feeling well in herself. She had a scan last week and the baby looks to be developing normally. More than that I don’t feel at liberty, excuse the pun, to say. Wendy Anderson and Emma Bitch have had more than one confrontation as of late and they will settle things in the ring tonight

Daisy Hawkins: That should be interesting, Emma has a no nonsense attitude, how will she handle the quickness of Wendy Anderson?

Catherine Quine: We’ll soon find out! Devil’s Daughter and Darkness Cat, Dark Times, will be taking on Two Sweet Danielle Sweetheart and Chastity Sweet.

Alicia Peters: That could well be a match to watch out for in regards to the next challengers for the tagteam titles.

Catherine Quine: Indeed it could, speaking of possibilities for title shots in the future, Christy Higgins will be challenging the Mistress of the DDT Steph Blake.

Daisy Hawkins: Christy wants to be careful there, Steph can spike a woman’s head into the mat in so many different ways.

Catherine Quine: That she can. In title action the SheBeasts, Fuyuko Higa and Shiro Jippensha, will be defending against the always exciting Luchadora Magnifico, Pinky Perez and Estrella Bianca.

Alicia Peters: Rumours have been filtering in that as the SheBeasts entered the arena there was an altercation…

Catherine Quine: That is being dealt with internally and I could not possibly comment upon that here. Alexis Lee Littlefeather will be looking to capitalise on a hot streak of form as she and Helene Svensson challenge Zoe Ammis for the Top Contender’s Championship.

Daisy Hawkins: Helene has done well to get to where she is with Lilly and Rose making it a mission to make her life hell.

Catherine Quine: And your main event will see Eve Grunge against Jillian Jarvis.

Alicia Peters: Can you tell us why Jillian Javis has the shot insead of, say, one of the A-List or Suzanne Brazzle?

Catherine Quine: it is simple, Jillian has been winning matches and putting herself out there. Anyone who thinks they should be in that spot, I have one thing to say. Impress me, give me no choice but to put you there, that is how this has always been done. With that being said, we should be nearly ready for the first match, I need to head to ringside.

<p>This is my first dynasty and my first real run, figured I would share it. I used to efed a long time ago, so it feels like coming home in a way.</p><p> </p><p>

So I have some segments to write up and work over the next three nights so if you guys want to do predictions you have until (likely) Sunday.</p><p> </p><p>

Things to do!</p><p> </p><p>

I will be looking to backwards book in a word doc the next three months or so so I can set up storylines so there may be a gap after this card is written up.</p><p> </p><p>

Goodness, in my roster and staff of a little over thirty I have <strong>fifteen</strong> (I counted!) Mercenary personalities, also a couple gloomy and a loner. I have one upbeat lockeroom. I may, over time, change one or two mercenaries at a time to what they are in the default database.</p><p> </p><p>

I am thinking of using Catherine Quine as an onscreen commissioner as well as color commentator, that will explain why she might miss a match if there is an injury she needs to deal with.</p><p> </p><p>

This is my first run in cverse alt, are there any stars you would like to see signed? Especially tagteams given my last set of incidents. Any storylines you would like to see booked or current stars pushed? I will try to listen slightly more than certain real world federation owners. I am thinking of looking at a couple young joshi workers, no names yet, the one I wanted on cverse default is already with QAW and I don't want the USPW predatory practices reputation. Also I am thinking of importing Pariah and Spider Isako from default and, I am not sure where I stand with this ethically (please weigh in if you have a firmer idea) Otohime from the Thunderverse mod, a joshi that styles herself after a dragon would work quite well in American style sports entertainment and could be a foil for the new girls in Shrieking Harpy.</p>

We are hit with a video montage of past AAA action throughout the promotion’s history, titles won, and lost, victory and defeat. The logo for Pretty Amazing flashes across the screen over the Women’s Network brand and we are LIVE!

Jim Lou Freebush: Welcome fans to a live broadcast of Angel Athletic Association, what we have in store for tonight is Pretty Amazing!

Grace Harper: He’s been waiting to say that all night.

Catherine Quine: Moving right on! We have a lot of action to bring to you tonight so let’s get rig...what’s this?

Demelza Wade, Nadia Snow and Cat Jemson waste no time in making their way to the ringside area, all holding microphones.

Cat Jemson: Hold up, hold up, hold up, A-Lister bidness going on right here, right now.

The AAA’s resident mean girls, the A-Listers, make their way to the announcer desk and look Ms Quine in the eye.

Nadia Snow: So we got a flight to...here.

Demezla Wade: Got through customs.

Nadia Snow: And an over exuberant security guard who will be receiving a letter from my lawyers.

Cat Jemson: And we find that not only are we not at the top of the card…

Demelza Wade: We’re not ON the card.

Catherine Quine stands, casually, to put herself at eye level with the A-Listers.

Catherine Quine: I believe I made myself quite clear; we have no room for quote, unquote, prizefighters who only fight once a month, those days are done, ladies. You are all very talented, but you are not worth more than Jillian Jarvis or Eve Grunge or Alexis Lee Littlefeather or Steph Blake.

Nadia Snow: That is where you are wrong, we are the A-List, we are the star power that is keeping Angel Athletic Association afloat. We…

Catherine Quine: Are not fighting tonight.

There is a tense standoff and a general twitching of muscles, but there is not much to be done in the face of Quine’s quiet resolve.

Demelza Wade: In which case, we will see you at Strength of a Woman. We will be watching that...that B-List hack’s title match very closely in the meantime.

Catherine Quine: Let me make myself clear, if you interfere in the Femme Fatale title match, you will never step foot in an AAA ring again.

With that, the A-List stare her down before making their exit.

Jim Lou Freebush: That was potentially a very combustible situation.

Grace Harper: And for all that they backed down, I don’t think we have heard the end of this.

Catherine Quine: We shall see what comes in time.

Six woman tag

Simony Sentinel, Katherine Goodlooks and Lora Washington vs Tracy brendon and The Uprising

The opening match saw six women all with something to prove. While Washington, Sentinel and Goodlooks were all running single at the present time, Washington and Goodlooks used their tagteam history with other people to try to get themselves and Simony Sentinel through this match. Unfortunately Simony’s being the only one among the six without any tagteam experience worked against them as she had a collision with Katherine Goodlooks that left her vulnerable to Svelte locking in the Prawn Armlock for the submission victory.

Winners in 15:21

Tracy Brendon and the Uprising

Catherine Quine: That was a very good tagteam match to get us started, ultimately it was a matter of chemistry that saw Tracy Brendon and the Uprising through.

Jim Lou Freebush: Next up we have Wendy Anderson and Emma Bitch looking to settle scores they have racked up over the last month.

Grace Harper: Wendy is AAA’s Miss Reliable and having worked hard to even get onto the roster she will not be interested in making way for the Bitch.

1v1

Wendy Anderson vs Emma Bitch

This match is a typical clash of the high flyer and the brawler. Wendy started the match hot using her quickness and her ability to come off of the ropes at any angle to keep ahead of Emma. Unfortunately Wendy took her eye off of Emma for one split second too long and got rocked with a haymaker that allowed Emma to slow the match down. Emma kept the match at her pace and felt she had the match in the palm of her hand after, having negated any attempt to speed the match back up, she was stalking Anderson for The Payback, Anderson evaded, went on a hot run before hitting the Flying Crossbody sealing the match.

Winner in 13:12

Wendy Anderson

Catherine Quine: Wendy Anderson will feel vindicated here! Emma Bitch has long maintained that she does not belong in the same ring as her and Wendy kept her head in the game to overcome adversity!

Grace Harper: Settle down, Quine, we all know she’s your girl.

Jim, having been between these two before when they have bickered, wisely brought their attention to the music of Two Sweet.

Jim Lou Freebush: People are already claiming that this could be a top contender eliminator, both Dark Times and Two Sweet will be watching the later tag title match closely and the winners could put themselves right at the front of the queue.

Catherine Quine: The Queen of Hearts and Charity Sweet have quickly become one of the premier female tagteams in the world and they will be looking to prove that their victories since joining AAA together are sustainable form…

Grace Harper: Rather than Flash in the Pan. My money always follows the Daughter of the Devil.

Tag match

Two Sweet vs Dark Times

Three of the ladies in this match knew each other very well from their time in Queens of American Wrestling and the match starts out a slower paced and cagey affair as a result. It is the longstanding AAA member in Devil’s Daughter that gained the first sizeable advantage and she and Darkness Cat showed good tag wrestling fundamentals in cutting the ring in half and keeping Charity Sweet away from her corner. Face in peril, Sweet had a tag missed by the official but eventually managed to get the hot tag. Sweetheart cleared house. A flurry of offence on both sides followed as the match broke down before Two Sweet hit the Sweet Street and Charity covered for the big win.

Winners in 18:52

Two Sweet

After the match we cut to the backstage area where we see the Femme Fatale Champion, Eve Grunge, and Suzanne Brazzle.

Suzanne Brazzle: I will watch your back tonight, Eve, god knows we need to keep the A-List away from that title. But I also will not wait forever. I do not have long left for one final run and I damn well intend to call time on my career a two time Femme Fatale Champion.

Eve Grunge: I appreciate the backup and you know me, Suzanne, I do not duck anybody. Once I have seen through Jillian Jarvis, so far as I am concerned you deserve the next shot.

We come back to the commentary desk.

Jim Lou Freebush: It seems very clear that Grunge and Brazzle have a lot of respect for each other and they want this match to happen.

Catherine Quine: Brazzle has done enough to be in the conversation but AAA does not just hand out title shots nor does the Champion call her own defences. Still, I am sure that a pathway to what they want may be laid out for them.

Grace Harper: Also they can’t forget the A-List, they will not just allow that to happen.

Jim Lou Freebush: You could say there is More Than Meets the Eye!

There is a moment of silence on the announcer desk while both the colour commentators parse what Jim has just done and decide that they really don’t want to go into it and we are saved from more namedropping AAA monthly events by the music of Christy Higgins.

1v1

Christy Higgins vs Steph Blake

Christy Higgins and Steph Blake were very well matched. Christy attempted to keep Steph Blake disorientated with a dizzying array of armdrags, headscissor takedowns and springboard offence. It was one trip to the corner too many that put Steph back into the match as she got knees up on a moonsault attempt and, before Christy could get off of her knees as she held her ribs spiked her with a DDT. Steph had a good five minutes of offence and close counts before Higgins roared back using her arsenal of kickboxing strikes. Higgins attempted to hit the Florida Upswing but Steph avoided it and nailed the Slingshot DDT to seal the win in a hard fought match.

Winner in 17:19

Steph Blake

Jim Lou Freebush: Amazing display, Christy should feel no shame coming out on the wrong end of that one!

Grace Harper: Even so only one person gets her arm raised and tonight that is the Mistress of the DDT!

Catherine Quine: Up next we have the first of three title defences, Luchadora Magnifico will take on the reigning defending SheBeasts!

2v2

Tagteam Championship

SheBeasts © vs Luchadora Magnifico

This match is a tale of two teams both of whom are extremely astute in technical wrestling working with the aim of keeping the crowd engaged but leaving something left in the tank for the other title matches to follow. This is not to take away from the match in its own right as chain wrestling and reversal on reversal on reversal were often on display. Eventually it was a matter of Shiori Jippensha being in the right place at the right time to secure the Jippensha Leglock while Fuyuko was able to prevent the save.

Winner in 19:32

#AndStill

SheBeasts

Jim Lou Freebush: And the Shebeasts achieve the second defence of the AA Tagteam Championships!

Grace Harper: Up next we have Top Contender title action. Zoe Ammis has her work cut out for her as she faces Alexis Lee Littlefeather and Helene Svensson in triple threat action.

Jim Lou Freebush: Helene has had a tumultuous road to get here, Lilly and Rose have been hellbent on proving that this company, in their words, is no place for Barbie dolls!

Catherine Quine: Alexis Lee Littlefeather and Helene Svensson won their way into this match through beating Kate Lilly and Debbie Rose respectively.

Three way dance

Top Contender's Championship

Helene Svensson vs Alexis Lee LittleFeather vs Zoe Ammis ©

This proves to be an entertaining match given that between past spy gimmicks, past modelling experience and past showgirl experience all three involved knew every bit how to work the crowd. Helene displayed an ever advancing grasp on the fundamentals in an effort to show that she was not just here because some execs wanted her on a reality show and she came so close.

Painfully close.

Helene had hit the Shining Wizard on Alexis Lee Littlefeather and covered, the referee’s hand came down once, twice then Helene was pulled out of the ring by Lilly and Rose. While Lilly and Rose forced Helene into the barricade and forced her to watch helplessly, Zoe Ammis crawled into a cover over the still lifeless Alexis and completed defence number four.

Winner in 24:27

#AndStill

Zoe Ammis

Catherine Quine: No! Svensson had that match dead to rights!

Grace Harper: Well you’re the CEO, restart the match if you feel you must…

Catherine Quine sighs.

Jim Lou Freebush: As we all know there are no rules in a triple threat match but this leaves a bad taste in the mouth and this will be a very tough pill for Helene to swallow. I doubt we have heard the last of this.

Grace Harper: All that matters is the record book, the record book says hashtag and still Top Contender’s Champion.

Any further comment is cut off by the entrance music of one Jillian Jarvis. She made her way to the ring confident and razor focussed. Throughout the build she had warned Grunge that Grunge did not have the gas tank to face her, that she would take her into deep waters and drown her. Eve Grunge came out singing a track from her third album (her 'entrance music’ as always being not one song but whatever song she felt like promoting her other career with). In response to Jillian’s barbs Grunge told her that she didn’t go twenty plus minutes because no one could live with her past ten.

Main Event

1v1

Femme Fatale Championship

Eve Grunge © vs Jillian Jarvis

This match was, by far, the most competitive of Grunge’s reign so far. Jarvis had a plan and she executed it to perfection, wearing the Champion down. At the eight minute mark Grunge fired back almost desperately running through her moveset in an attempt to finish Jarvis now but kickouts and evasions of the biggest moves Eve had kept Jillian in the fight. As the match passed fifteen minutes Grunge visibly tired and it was only a foot on the rope that saved her title when Jarvis had the Lockdown Choke Sleeper locked in. Jillian looked to go high impact with a Tornado Elbow Strike but in a last gasp effort Eve Grunge ducked then locked in her own Violet Dream for completion of defence number six.

Winner in 21:42

#AndStill

Eve Grunge

Immediately on the bell the A-List dragged out the near lifeless form of Suzanne Brazzle.

Cat Jemson: You said we couldn’t interfere in this poor display, but you said nothing about taking out the no-list trash.

The A-List stand over Suzanne Brazzle’s prone form. Eve runs from the ring looking to prevent any further harm but she is exhausted and against three, the end result, a Snow Ball from Nadia Snow, was academic and on that we fade to black.