C-verse history question

I don't think so.

Evidence from the IRS investigation revealed that the government did indeed know Wrestling was a work by 2016, and if the government knows it, it must be common knowledge.

I also think we can view DAVE's popularity as evidence that the average fan was aware since elaborate hardcore matches would necessarily require the workers to be in on it and cooperate.

The obvious parallel to Vince is Richard Eisen, but I don't think there's ever an explicit admission that it's a work. I think it's safe to assume that by the mid 90s, based on the companies that were appearing and had evolved (see the Tri-State War) the average fan was aware of the worked nature of wrestling.

A very interesting question though.

I don't think so.

Evidence from the IRS investigation revealed that the government did indeed know Wrestling was a work by 2016, and if the government knows it, it must be common knowledge.

I also think we can view DAVE's popularity as evidence that the average fan was aware since elaborate hardcore matches would necessarily require the workers to be in on it and cooperate.

The obvious parallel to Vince is Richard Eisen, but I don't think there's ever an explicit admission that it's a work. I think it's safe to assume that by the mid 90s, based on the companies that were appearing and had evolved (see the Tri-State War) the average fan was aware of the worked nature of wrestling.

A very interesting question though.

It never went to trial, and no charges were filed so no discovery. Freedom of Information I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to private enterprise investigations that aren't charged. We don't know what it was that got out either. It could have been that he likes wearing white cotton panties. It could have been tax fraud. We don't know, and I assume neither do fans. I wouldn't assume that Kayfabe has been busted here. However, I'd imagine that the genie is out of the bottle personally, with the Idaho Punisher book at least or the podcast industry. I can't imagine people finding kayfabe BS interesting on a national mainstream fashion.

is there a cannon (or near cannon) event in c-verse like Vince admitting the NJ athletic commission that wrestling is a work, thus ending kayfabe?

Off-topic but kayfabe didn't end there IRL. There are news reports from the early 1900s "exposing the industry."

The Vince trial was just the the first time a wrestling promoter decided to verbalize it.

It never went to trial, and no charges were filed so no discovery. Freedom of Information I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to private enterprise investigations that aren't charged. We don't know what it was that got out either. It could have been that he likes wearing white cotton panties. It could have been tax fraud. We don't know, and I assume neither do fans. I wouldn't assume that Kayfabe has been busted here. However, I'd imagine that the genie is out of the bottle personally, with the Idaho Punisher book at least or the podcast industry. I can't imagine people finding kayfabe BS interesting on a national mainstream fashion.

I meant that the fact that the IRS sent an investigative team to look into wrestling is evidence that theyknew it was a work.

<p>Some of the company descriptions in the game imply that kayfabe "died" somewhere in the past of the CornellVerse:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50895" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>X-Wrestling America is a project designed to "put the genie back in the bottle" by returning to a fully-kayfabed vision of pro wrestling.</strong> Matches are very realistic, without crossing over into MMA territory, and the wrestlers are presented as serious athletes looking for good competition. <strong>Their problem is not in producing good matches or getting fantastic workers, it is purely whether they can get fans to buy a kayfabed company in the modern era.</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50895" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Rocky Mountain Wrestling is a company from the North West region of America that favours a very old school style of work. <strong>The emphasis on their shows is of babyfaces fighting heels in traditionally-oriented matches with strict kayfabe in place.</strong><p> </p><p> A product that wouldn't have been out of place twenty five years ago would have been a risky proposition once upon a time, but the continued success of MAW and the COTT alliance has rewritten the rules as to what can thrive in the modern wrestling world.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> As for <em>how</em> kayfabe ceased to be the law of the land, it probably was a gradual process; right now, the main "fad" in the CornellVerse, judging from some of the yet to debut companies, seems to be MMA/professional wrestling hybrids however; that said, the MMA world and the professional wrestling world, in the CornellVerse, seem to be closer than they are IRL, it'd be cool if they were seen as two sides of the same coin, with competitive fighting (MMA) on one side, and cooperative fighting (professional wrestling) on the other.</p>

I mean, once the internet became a thing, kayfabe was going to change one way or the other.

I think you could do fixed MMA no problem today.

only a few of your top stars would have to be in on it, plus maybe your one ref.

you let the under card fight it out in shoot matches. see who gets over.

Have your rule set, set to put the ref in a much more vocal part of the match, so that in all matches you are used to seeing the ref break things up, and probably be the one to award points. And you try to avoid "knock outs" possibly as a nod to concussions.

"werestling" will have come full circle to a worked shoot.

Some of the company descriptions in the game imply that kayfabe "died" somewhere in the past of the CornellVerse:

As for how kayfabe ceased to be the law of the land, it probably was a gradual process; right now, the main "fad" in the CornellVerse, judging from some of the yet to debut companies, seems to be MMA/professional wrestling hybrids however; that said, the MMA world and the professional wrestling world, in the CornellVerse, seem to be closer than they are IRL, it'd be cool if they were seen as two sides of the same coin, with competitive fighting (MMA) on one side, and cooperative fighting (professional wrestling) on the other.

In IRL MMA, there was a war between two companies, PRIDE FC and the UFC. PRIDE was basically a Japanese puro-company with shoot MMA(although Mark Colemen and others have said they were asked to work fights) and the UFC was, at the time, a struggling company dealing with regulatory bodies trying to turn MMA into a structured American sports model. When the C-Verse was conceived it was in a world where PRIDE was the top dog. They often ran matches and exhibition stuff on their shows. And Japanese pro-wrestlers often transitioned to fight top Pride guys for big payoffs. (Personal favorite is Mirko Cro Cop vs. Dos Caras Jr. It has aged like wine.)

When the Yakuza scandal happened in 2006-7 it changed the landscape of combat sports in Japan. PRIDE lost it's Fuji TV deal and basically folded right after, and Pro Wrestling Noah was also knocked from the mountain top of Puro, practically overnight. Now, this has nothing to do with the C-Verse, but there was a time when many thought the world of wrestling and MMA would be much more closely linked. And I'm pretty sure the original idea for WMMA and TEW was to have two blended universes. That was scrapped eventually.