Broadcaster Deal Cost Split

Under Broadcaster Deals in the database editor, it would prove better and simpler if the cost split was set up to be percentage based as is the revenue split, and as it was in the last TEW in which it appeared (TEW 2013). That is, a single menu item with a single drop down menu with options of 0% to 100% of the cost to the company (or to the broadcaster), just as is the case with the revenue split.

Right now, the way it's set up, database editors and modders, whether experienced or not, barely utilize the option which particularly impacts real world mods (historical or otherwise) and which is pretty damned important with regards to the economics of wrestling on television and the business as a whole. As the economics of the game are not 1:1 with the real world, even trying to mimic real world splits on the cost side proves futile. Going with a simple drop down as pointed out would simplify things and it would likely cause it to be used in more mods.

I don't know if the change can be implemented in TEW2020 at this point, but I would hate to see the entire cost and revenue split thrown out due to not being used much not because people don't want to use it or don't see it as beneficial in concept but rather because the implementation of it in the game design was not as well thought out as it should've been.

That would be unworkable as it doesn't take into account deals that don't generate revenue - a major flaw given that it would prevent the real world scenario it was designed for, paying for free-to-air coverage, from happening. That's why this idea was rejected at the design stage and replaced with a system that works for all deals.

That would be unworkable as it doesn't take into account deals that don't generate revenue - a major flaw given that it would prevent the real world scenario it was designed for, paying for free-to-air coverage, from happening. That's why this idea was rejected at the design stage and replaced with a system that works for all deals.

I'm confused as to how it would be "unworkable". It would simply replace inputting a hard number for "Company Pays" and "Broadcaster Pays" with percentages via a drop down menu - including "0%" just as is the case currently for the "Revenue Split" (that "0%" which itself denotes something that doesn't generate revenue, at least for the company).

"0%" as a drop down option among other percentages (5% - 100%, again as is the case for Revenue Split) would simply replace the hard number "0" inputted for both Company Pays" and "Broadcaster Pays" not only in several modded databases, but the default database itself. If "0%" and so on wouldn't work properly, how then does "0" and whatever hard number we would enter work properly?

Are you saying that it didn't work properly for TEW 2013, which had the exact options which I described? I'm honestly curious about this.

I think you may be misremembering TEW2013 as that did not have the broadcaster pays / company pays feature. It had a Costs Split feature, which was done as a percentage.

The broadcaster pays / company pays feature allows one or the other to pay a special per-show incentive for the content - this has nothing to do with the regular costs of the show. A default of 0 for both values means that both sides are happy with the other terms of the deal and no incentive is needed; this covers the vast majority of deals.

As I described above, this would not work with a percentage. Consider an example where a small company, X, wants to get on a good free-to-air broadcaster, Y - this is the main (mostly historical) real world example that the feature is based on. To seal the deal, Y may want X to pay $75k per show to make up for the fact that the company is not going to bring in much of an audience. Having a percentage of revenue instead would be unworkable as whether it's 0% or 100% it would have no effect because there is no revenue to take a percentage of.

You could alter the feature and make it a percentage of costs instead, making it a reflection of TEW2013, and that would at least make it workable (as all shows have some costs to take a percentage of) but this would be very limiting as - especially in the example above - the costs are likely to be very low so even 100% to X is not going to be much. Having a hard figure rather than a percentage allows Y much more freedom in how far they can push things (including making it extremely financially punishing for the company, which is intentional) and has the added advantage of being clearer - knowing you need to pay / are getting paid a specific sum is obviously much easier to understand than getting a percentage of a costs value that can shift fairly dramatically.

Hope that clarifies it.