What is up with short angles?

I'm really confused by the way my angles are being graded tbh so I thought I'd ask around here. In the Handbook it says that angles below six mins are capped at 88, whilst angles below four mins are capped at 75, that's all fine and good, but why is there also a penalty applied to the rating? This isn't product-related because my product has nothing about angle lengths, there just seems to be a weird segment length penalty applied to angles ON TOP of there being a cap.

I've noticed this because I have workers who will easily pull 95 rated promos when allowed to go six mins, so you'd expect them to likely hit 88 for a five min promo, yet they end up pulling something like an 80-83. This often happens DESPITE bonuses for momentum, hot catchphrase, great improv, etc.

There is always going to be some randomness to the ratings. Otherwise great workers would always hit their max, possible rating

I agree, but RNG shouldn't come arbitrarily due to angle length. I tested this by running three angles on a show 16 times, all with the same worker and the same conditions, except the length. Six min angles had an average of 99.6 with only two of the 16 angles not scoring a 100. But for five mins the average dropped to 83.3, and for four mins it dropped again to 82.7.

The 6 min angles were far closer to their cap than the five and four min angles were, where 6 mins would reliably hit max besides a couple of occasions the other two lengths were a bit of a crapshoot, some angles would rate 78 and some would hit 87. Should be noted that at no point from the 32 angles between the five and four min tests did any of them hit their max of 88.

Obviously this is only from a test of 16 shows, but it seems like there's a pattern of shorter angles underperforming far more often than six min angles do.

I'd recommend you turn on the Dirt Sheet to check what additional penalties you may be getting. There is no "extra" penalty for angle length like you're describing (and never has been), so any difference in rating is going to be down to other effects that happen to be triggered by length.