Training/skill improvement?

What factors determine skill improvement? I know it has something to do with age, dedication, potential, and team. I also know training speeds up in the month prior to a fight.

Does the existence of other fighters (training partners) impact it? Or any events, rival companies, or the fighter's location, or anything else?

Also, the up and down arrows in the skills window - do they reflect the training that day, that month, or over what period of time?

At the beginning of the game all fighters will roll their maximum values for each stat. This is partly based on their background attributes and their base values (and perhaps the potential stat if not 0). If their max values are the same as their starting values, which can often be the case, there will be no progression there. Ever.

Whether or not it increases indeed depends on age. If the fighter is 33, they might already be on their decline and will rather lower his stats. The age where this happens is also random unless you set it in the editor pre-game (in-game it's too late). It's the "destiny" tab if I recall correctly. It happens that fighters 'peak' at age 28, for instance (as far as I remember).

Improvement will be amplified during training camps, which happens automatically when a fighter is booked. Membership of a dojo/camp will also increase it. I believe the sooner you book him, the sooner he starts training (even if they have short training camps), but I'm not sure.

The existence of other fighters (even as rivals), training partners, events, companies, location, etc. doesn't matter at all.

You can however make a narrative to max out the values (like I did in O+ module, namely the NYE 'summit' notes) of a specific type of skills. Not sure what the 'realistic' setting is here. Haven't experimented much with it, but 'normal' seems to work just fine for me.

The speed of training is impacted by a setting in the options screen. If you like prodigies dominating early you can set it to "much higher".

As for the window for the arrows: I can't say for sure. I think it's more short-term, like a week or something. But for chin deterioration after a KO, you can see the arrow the same day even.

To answer your PM question: no, there is nothing in the female CVE expansion mod that hampers development. But most characters are set quite low at their debuts so it's possible they just don't improve much if at all. If this is a problem for you, I'll experiment more with better backgrounds, which should boost their max stats. The way it is now ensures there's not a list of 20 elite fighters each weight class.