The League, version 3.0 (Rules/Signup)

“If you’d told me, twelve years ago when this hare-brained idea was hatched, that it would have run for seven official seasons, had an official spinoff for two and a half seasons elsewhere, and several others show interest in taking this model of competition further, I’d have called you a liar.  I had no hope that even the moderate success that amount could be considered be was feasible.

“Nor did I think this long after the ideas started that people would be still excited if this idea would make yet another return. It’s diminishing returns, after all, there’s only so far an idea can go before it’s overplayed. It’s not my intent to end up another promotion, another idea that overstayed its welcome.

“But my advisors think the idea has legs for one more go, using a format similar to the official spinoff we did right before and during the pandemic hit, with a few changes.  I’m not as convinced; I’d rather be safe than sorry and not subject others to this damned virus still going around.  I especially don’t want to be on the road again, not with a wrestling school that’s open and three-quarters of my immediate family—including myself—being considered high-risk.

“So I’m calling in a few favors. Making sure all the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed.  If this idea is being done one more time, it’s being done right.  It’s being done with people I trust at the helm, whom I can oversee from afar to ensure that things go according to plan. If this is going to be any sort of success, it needs to be a standard format, locked in place and subject to only minimal changes.  The era of new divisions and formats every season is out.  In place of that, I propose this, an adaptation of the Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling spinoff I was advisor to:

“32 people.  Four Divisions of 8.  The first half-season—a kind of preseason, if you will—sets the field into proper divisions based on their results, and from there we treat it like global football.  Promotion and relegation. No playoffs. No gimmicks.  Only how well you fare against your opponents will determine how well you’ll do. 

“We’ve had fancy divisions in the various seasons of The League.  We’ve had a knockoff of the National Football League format in Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling.  Now, it’s time for something simpler, more straightforward.  It’s time to show the world that what we did before is no fluke, and we can be just as big as any other organized sport around the world.

“Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone else outside that binary…it’s time, once more, for us to rise up…and reform The League.”

--Will “The Phoenix” Prydor

Owner of The League, former League Champion

August 19, 2022

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Oh, no.  Not this again. Haven’t you tortured yourself enough with this in the past?

I have. But I’m a glutton for punishment, apparently.

I’ve been in The League or Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling before.  I don’t feel like reading everything here.  What’s the TL;DR on what’s changed?

> Improvements to initial character stats—starting base now allows for up to 2500 stat points instead of 1200—and traits are bumped up to 5 TP to start, with positive traits now being able to be started at Level 2. This allows for a little more strategic creation and more interesting stat builds, plus it potentially unlocks more moves in an automatically-created moveset to make matches more interesting.  Initial Spirit is bumped to 400 (up from 300).

> A redesigned League structure—gone are the changes made every season to League structure and divisions.  In its place is a model loosely based off of global football pyramids: four divisions of eight participants, division winner is promoted, last place is relegated, winner of the top division is League Champion.  No more playoffs to extend a season, the entire thing takes place in 14 weeks with a mid-season break after the first half. Tag Team Turmoil will make a return during that break, as is League tradition.  With playoffs eliminated, Spirit is earned via Tag Team Turmoil (in the same manner as XP for matches), and depending on finishing position in the divisional tables. Higher the division, the better the reward (same holds true for match XP gained).

> The presentation is now streamlined so that only the best (highest-rated) match of the night gets the full write-up in an effort to prevent burnout of the guy running the thing.  The other 15 matches per card are simply summarized. A small price to pay if you’re aiming for more than one season this time around!

> Characters joining after the first season do not get a bump to their stats to match everyone else in The League—this makes for a more realistic Rookie-to-Legend experience especially after several seasons are already done.

> Managers only take their cut of XP if they interfere in a match (instead of every show).

> No more offsite websites.  All relevant information will be in public view in the game thread near the opening post, to simulate scouting your opponents.

So for the uninitiated, what the deuce is this?

This is my attempt at making a multiplayer RTL-like experience in Wrestling Spirit 3.  I did this for six cycles, or “seasons” in the WS2 engine, then converted it to WS3 for a season before I got fully burned out by the concept—or more accurately, the amount of work I was putting into it on a weekly basis.  (Given I had webpages, fully fleshing out 10 or so matches a week, plus the other administrative aspects that go into this, is it any wonder after four years or so that I needed a break?)

I took this idea to another site some time later, with limited success as only a handful of other people showed any interest.  The lowered interest, combined with the RL problems of our apartment being sold to someone who promptly tried to get rid of my roommate and I, the subsequent move stemming from that, and the whole pandemic thing throughout put a halt to that project after two and a half seasons, or just over a year in real-time.

So now, I bring it back to its original home, with a little more experience under my belt and a set format in mind for its final iteration. Any wrestler stats from The League, Season Seven are reset.  If anyone comes over from the other project, Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling at the Something Awful forums, those stats are reset as well.  Every wrestler here starts at the same baseline, with the same rules in place.  And those rules are slightly different than before so anyone interested in rejoining may notice some new wrinkles in the works….

This will also apply to people joining after the initial season.  Whereas before, new people would come in at about the average strength of established folks, this time there will be no power curve to ride.  You come in later, you’re working from the bottom division up.  Makes for a more realistic Rookie-to-Legend experience, doesn’t it? 

Bottom Division?  Say what?

Yep. I’m ditching the ever-changing structure of The League and modifying the semi-rigid format of Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling.  The League will now have 32 wrestlers, with possible expansions if (heavy emphasis on IF) demand necessitates it.  Four divisions with an equal size of 8 wrestlers, double round-robin scheduling.  At the end of the (currently) 14-week season, the winner in each division gets promoted to the next-higher division, the winner of the top division wins the League Championship.  The last-place finisher in each of the top three divisions gets demoted to the division below.  Think global football/English Premier League for inspiration.

In order to fill this field—after all, 20 is the highest field ever run in The League and that was in its heyday seven years ago—I have roughly three dozen characters available to fill in the vacancies.  These “GMPCs” are subject to the same rules as forums member characters, with one exception—if they finish in the bottom half of the lowest division, they will get swapped out for other characters or new player characters depending on who joins between seasons.  Player characters cannot be dropped out of the bottom division for any reason barring inactivity or electing not to return in the following season.

In that unnecessary in-character monologue up there you mentioned a preseason.  Say what?

Sure, I could just do things randomly.  But just to get my feet wet again before diving headlong into a full season, the rough plan is to run a five-match “preseason.”  This will be set up in a Swiss-style format, where wrestlers will be randomly paired off with other wrestlers with an equal (or close to it) record.  The final overall rankings from that five-week period will determine the initial divisions for Season One of The New League (name is a work in progress). I have not decided yet if I will space the preseason to one show per week, or do the entire thing “off-camera” and simply post the results after each round so we can get to the actual League season sooner.  Regardless, these preseason matches will not count for stats, XP accrual, records, and so forth.

So how do we improve characters, and what’s stopping me from making my moveset a collection of 37 finishing moves, three punches, and a side headlock?

Rules, of course.  I’ll go into those in the next few posts. But there is a structure in place that dictates how many signatures, finishers, and limits to those moves’ stats a player can have, plus how default movesets are generated and how one earns XP (experience) for improving their characters in between weeks.

I realize the forums just moved and so some of the older posts are a run-together wall of text, but those older threads give an idea of what to expect…if you’re willing to slam into giant walls of said text.

You said before that you had websites, and that was part of the reason for burning out in the past. How is that changed?

Well, like in real sports, opponents are scouted.  This is simulated by one of the opening posts of an active season thread showing current character stats (Overall, Spirit, Strength, etc.), a list of their traits (Hands of Stone, Not the Face!, etc.), and current signature/finishers and associated stats.  Players can also see how much XP they have banked, and how many points that will allow them to put into their stats.  The formula changes if improvements/purchases to signatures and finishers are involved, and at that point a simple PM to me will point you in the right direction by factoring in what you want to purchase/improve and seeing what’s left to put into stats.

All right, back to improving characters. How do we get these XPs?

You start by going out into the nearly forest and slaying ten dire rats…oh, wait, this isn’t an MMO. I’ll give you the summary version here:  XP earned is calculated by a formula that takes into effect how long a match goes, what the rating of the match is, what kind of finish the match had, if a character’s manager interfered (more on that shortly), if you won or lost the match, the division of the wrestlers in the match, and probably a few other factors I’m drawing a blank on while I type this at work.  The best match of the night, regardless of division, will earn additional XP for each combatant and will also be the only one fully written out each week, with added commentary and in-game play-by-play.  (If you think I’m writing out 16 matches a show, you’re out of your gourd!)

Managers? I thought they were dead in modern wrestling.

Nope. Here in The League, managers can come to the ring with your character. Their OVR stat is another stat that a player can boost (essentially making it an optional 8th stat). The tradeoff to managers possibly shifting the momentum to your side via interference has two parts:  1) With an extra stat to build up, you may not have as much to put into your core stats for moves, and 2) If a manager successfully interferes on your behalf during a given match, your XP gain for that match is lowered by 20%. This represents the manager’s fee for getting involved in a contest.  This is changed from prior versions of The League, in which the (original) 15% fee was automatically taken no matter what.  After more testing elsewhere, it was determined that the fee should only be invoked when a manager actually interferes as otherwise it’s too much of a hamper on a character’s stat growth.

Enough from you, I came here to sign up for this, not listen to you ramble in a faux Q-and-A!  When do we get to that part?

After I post the obligatory rules page and sign-up sheet to be filled out.

Edited by ShadowedFlames

ABOUT THE LEAGUE

This iteration of The League is run on the Steam version of Wrestling Spirit 3 (because the author didn’t want to unlicense it from his roommate’s PC to put onto his own, and also because that other PC requires moving a quarter of the apartment’s belongings to free up the monitors).  The default CornellVerse database is used, and then added to for League wrestlers, moves, etc.

CHARACTER CREATION

(THIS PARAGRAPH ADDED DECEMBER 19, 2022) Handlers are allowed up to four submissions per player. One is their Primary character and can never be relegated out of The League. One is their Secondary Character and may be used if numbers allow it for additional PCs in the game.  The remaining two are Other characters, and will be run in a "off-camera" round-robin competition, held under Delta Division rules, to determine who gets to replace the lowest-ranking GMPC and Other/Secondary PCs for the following season.

All characters, regardless of start date, begin with 12,500 Experience Points (XP).  This is enough to purchase 2,500 stat points, barring purchases for additional finishers, signatures, or improvements to the same.

All characters, regardless of start date, begin with 5 Trait Points (TP).  These are what’s used to buy things like “Samoan Skull” or “Feet of Fire.”  On initial creation, a wrestler may have up to Level 2 of a multi-level trait, and may invest in two Level 1 negative abilities to further expand their TP pool.  All TP do not have to be used on creation, handlers are allowed to carry over TP into future seasons if they wish.  More on Traits below.

On creation, characters are allowed one Finisher-level move and one Signature move which can be either Medium- or High-level.  A character has an upper limit of three (3) Finishers and ten (10) signatures, regardless of level or risk.  If a new one is desired that would exceed these limits, one of the other moves at that level must be removed with no refunds due to the player.  (This is to simulate all the time lost perfecting the move only to never use it again.)

Finishers and signatures have specific hit-percent and chance-to-win ranges that can be improved by spending XP.  A baseline finisher has a 20% chance to hit (200 in game), with a maximum of 30% (300 in-game).  Chance to finish is 85% (850 in-game), with a maximum of 95% (950 in-game).  High-risk finisher moves have a to-hit range of 25% to 35%, due to the fact that if the user misses a finisher the opponent can usually attempt a pin and win the match immediately. Damage done for finishers and signatures is derived from the default database equivalent of the move used, or an approximation if the move does not currently exist.

In the same vein, Signatures have the following ranges:

• Medium-level Signatures:  60% to 75% 70% to-hit chance regardless of move.  Medium-level signatures cannot end a match.
  • High-level Signatures: 40% to 55% to-hit chance, 10% to 20% chance to finish.  High-level, high-risk finishers have a 45% to 55% to-hit chance with the same 10% to 20% chance to finish.

XP Costs for Signatures and Finishers:

• Each new Signature:  400 XP
    • Medium-Level, +1% to Hit (+10 in-game):  40 XP per +1%, maximum 400 XP.
    • High-Level, Normal risk, +1% to Hit (+10 in-game):  50 XP per +1%, maximum 750 XP.
    • High-Level, High risk, +1% to Hit (+10 in-game): 75 XP per +1%, maximum 750 XP.
    • High-Level, any risk, +1% to Finish (+10 in-game):  75 XP per 1%, maximum 750 XP.
  • Each new Finisher:  1000 XP
    • Finisher, Normal risk, 1% to Hit (+10 in game):  125 per +1%, maximum 1,250 XP.
    • Finisher, High risk, +1% to Hit (+10 in game): 175 per +1%, maximum 1.750 XP.
    • Finisher, any risk, +1% to Finish (+10 in game): 200 per +1%, maximum 2,000 XP.

Once stats, regional influences and styles have been set, an initial moveset will be generated.  This will include personal signatures/finishers, and any other finisher-level move will be manually removed from the moveset (so one doesn’t have 30+ ways to win a match with 80% efficiency, for example).  Handlers are welcome to submit their own movesets for character creation, as long as the restriction on finisher-level moves remains intact.

CHARACTER AVATARS

They are not required when submitting a character.  If you wish to submit your own to use, I ask that they be formatted to 150 x 150 for my ease, because I am terrible at PhotoShop and would butcher trying to reduce a larger picture to the correct size.  If you want to use a picture from the default database, please note that the following pictures are already reserved by the League Director (me) for GMPC use:

CVFP_AsianMale_014

CVFP_AsianMale_042

CVFP_BlackMale_001

CVFP_BlackMale_010

CVFP_HispanicMale_011

CVFP_MaskedMale_012

CVFP_MaskedMale_033

CVFP_MaskedMale_035

CVFP_MaskedMale_122

CVFP_RefFemale_002

CVFP_WhiteMale_008

CVFP_WhiteAnnouncer_004

CVFP_WhiteAnnouncer_009

CVFP_WhiteAnnouncer_010

CVFP_WhiteFemale_001

CVFP_WhiteMale_010

CVFP_WhiteMale_011

CVFP_WhiteMale_017

CVFP_WhiteMale_018

CVFP_WhiteMale_019

CVFP_WhiteMale_036

CVFP_WhiteMale_060

CVFP_WhiteMale_065

CVFP_WhiteMale_075

CVFP_WhiteMale_090

CVFP_WhiteMale_091

CVFP_WhiteMale_095

(Added December 19, 2022) CVFP_MaskedFemale_001 (from TEW2020)

LEAGUE STRUCTURE AND RULES

The plan is to maintain The League at 32 participants, divided into four divisions of eight wrestlers.  There is no gender or size limitation but the Director asks that you be reasonable with your creations.  Seasons will last fourteen (14) weeks, which is to let all wrestlers face everyone in their division twice.  After week seven, a one-to-two week midseason break will be held during which the traditional Tag Team Turmoil tournament event will take place.  At the end of the fourteenth regular season week, the season comes to an end.  Division winners will be promoted to the next-higher division, with the winner of the Alpha Division being crowned League Champion.  The bottom-most finisher in each division, sans Delta, will be relegated to the next-lower division.  Player characters cannot be relegated out of Delta Division.  GMPCs (those characters run by the League Director to fill the 32-person field) may be replaced if they finish in the lower half of the Delta Division to allow for some fresher faces to circulate in the lower division.

(Added December 19, 2022) Effective from Season Nine onward, the top two finishers in a lower division will be promoted to the next higher division.  The bottom two finishers in an upper division will be relegated to the next lower division.  GMPCs and Secondary/Other PCs (as defined in the opening section of this document) who finish in the lower half of the Delta Division may be swapped out for other characters to keep things fresh in the lowest division. 

Ties within a division are broken in the following manner, regardless of number of people tied for a spot…

…head to head record against tied opponents is the first tiebreaker.

…if the wrestlers have identical records against other wrestlers they are tied with, the wrestler who beat their opponent(s) they are tied with the fastest wins the tiebreaker.

…if all matches ended with identical times, the overall Average Time of Victory (against all division opponents) will break the tie.

…if that doesn’t work, Average Match Rating for the season will be used.

…If that still doesn’t break the tie, one or more tiebreaker match(es) will determine who earns the higher position.

As for the matches themselves, The League’s Competition Committee has decided on the following set of “standardized” rules for League Competition:  (Edited December 19, 2022:  For Season Nine and beyond, the Competition Committee has decided to make each division have its own thresholds for energy levels and warmup periods.  Parts listed as the Beta Division are the original parameters that everyone competed under in Season Eight, regardless of division.)

• Medium/Low/Danger energy
    • Alpha Division: 75/45/10%
    • Beta Division: 85/50/15%
    • Gamma Division: 90/55/22%
    • Delta Division: 95/65/35%
  • Run-Ins:  No
  • Ref Bumps: Yes
  • Face vs Heel: Yes (otherwise faces use eye pokes and that’s not right!)
  • Managers: Yes
  • Strict DQs: No
  • Blood Stoppages: Yes
  • Referee Stoppages (Medical DQs): Yes
  • Flash Points: Yes
  • Momentum: Yes
  • Vulnerable State: Yes
  • Warrior Spirit: Yes
  • Adrenaline Boosts:  Yes
  • Dramatic Comebacks: Yes
  • Energy Effects: Yes
  • Tag Team Saves: Yes
  • Warm up Period
    • Alpha Division: 3 Minutes
    • Beta and Gamma Divisions: 2 Minutes
    • Delta Division: 1 Minute
  • Martinetes: Legal
  • Top Rope Moves: Legal
  • Minor Cheating: Illegal
  • Pre-Match Interviews: No

All matches are one fall to a finish, with the exception of European Rules matches (best-of-three applies), and all Tag Team Turmoil matches (best-of-three or Iron Person format for the finals).

A wrestler’s Overall (OVR) rating changes based on a formula that incorporates the type of match finish, how long the match was, and the rating of the match.  Winning a match obviously has a better positive impact on OVR rating.  XP is calculated in a similar manner, but also factors in manager interference, if a match was the Match of the Night, and which division the match was contested in.  These formula results are added to a character’s running tally of OVR and XP, and will be updated in the database prior to the character’s next match.  This information will also be freely available in the informational post within the game thread itself, updated after every show.

USING XP TO IMPROVE

Now that you have XP, it’s time to actually use it.  In the informational post, a character’s XP total will also show how many Stat Points that amount of XP will allow them to buy.  Stat Point costs scale roughly every 250 total stat points, to simulate how much additional work is needed to reach new plateaus of skill within the ring/as a manager.  Purchasing signatures, finishers, and improving them are also done at this time, using the cost table posted in Character Creation.

Spending the XP is as simple as PMing me here on the GDS Forums, or sending a DM on Discord to ShadowedFlanes#9549.  Once received, I will make the appropriate changes in the database and my Excel sheet, and things will be good to go for the following week!

CHARACTER'S PHYSICAL HEALTH / MOVESET REGENERATION AFTER INITIAL CREATION

I cover this in a separate post, found here for your convenience.

EXPECTED TURNAROUND TIME:

I plan to run one show a week, barring work or other real-life emergencies.  If something changes, I’ll post as such in the game thread but the general plan is one show per week, and trying to keep to a schedule.  Between seasons, I look for two to three weeks in between to give myself a chance to mentally recover, do spreadsheet and database maintenance, and otherwise relax a bit before the next season begins. Former League players will tell you this is about the “normal” break I take between seasons.

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION

Someone once quipped that “this is a wrestling-based RPG,” and it’s true to a point.  Handlers do not need to write up lengthy scripts for their characters between shows—I’m already a judge in an e-fed outside of here, thank you!—and any such posted here are for handlers’ amusement only.

In the past, I have run prediction games over the course of a season with the winner being allowed to dictate the structure of The League for the following season.  With the change to a more fixed structure, a new reward may be made available if I can come up with something suitable that won’t be game-breaking or detrimental to those who would rather not do predictions.  The scoring for the predictions will be the simple “1 point per correct guess” format.  Tag Team Turmoil will not count in the official predictions.

All normal GDS Forums rules apply here as well.  This is means as a fun diversion. Insult wars, flaming, and the like are not welcome or tolerated here.  Talking a little smack in-character is okay—after all, this IS wrestling we’re talking about—but keep it in character, keep it PG, and do not let it get out of hand.

NOTE ON HANDLER PARTICIPATION:  Handlers are expected at a minimum of once per season to contact the League Director to spend their XP.  Any handler who does not contact the Director during the course of an entire season will have their character removed from the active roster at the end of said season.  If a character was in a higher division than Delta, is removed in this manner, and then comes back later, they will start a division lower for every season missed.  The Director is allowed discretion to judge circumstances should this come to pass.

Example:  Amelia Midnight ends the season at 2-12 in the Alpha Division, and is set to be relegated to Beta Division.  The handler has not contacted the Director all season.  At the start of the next season, Amelia Midnight is removed from the roster and appropriate changes are made to the promotion/relegation spots around the Beta Division to keep the field at 32 participants.  During the course of that season, the handler returns, citing an extended stay in the hospital due to an automobile accident and wishes to re-enter The League.  When the next season begins, Amelia Midnight will be in a division lower than the one she would have been in before being pulled—in this case, the Gamma Division—and promotions/relegations would be adjusted accordingly to keep the field at 32 wrestlers without unduly penalizing anyone for something out of their control.

END OF SEASON NOTES

The best match of the season, decided in the same manner as the weekly Match of the Night awards, will win the Match of the Season award, and both participants in that match will earn a flat bonus of 200 XP.

After every season, wrestlers gain one (1) Trait Point.  Any existing positive traits that have multiple levels can be improved by as many levels as a wrestler’s TP allows.  Any negative traits can either bought new at Level 1, or already-bought negative traits can be leveled up to give the wrestler more TP at a cost of whatever the negative trait enforces.  Limits on traits are documented in the appropriate Google Doc that lists costs and descriptions for each trait.

New player characters will start in Delta Division after the end of the first (and every subsequent) League season.  In the event that the Delta Division would grow beyond 8 wrestlers, additional promotions and/or eliminations of GMPCs will be made to keep the field at the 32-entrant threshold.  In the event that more than 32 people wish to participate in The League, it is the Director’s discretion to determine if a fifth division, or expansion of the current four divisions, will be implemented.

(Added December 19, 2022) Any unused GMPCs, and PCs deemed Secondary or Other who are not on the main League roster, will be housed in an unofficial division dubbed the Omega Division. The winners of this single round-robin group have the first chance to enter the Delta Division to replace any GMPCs and Secondary/Other PCs as space may allow.

Edited by ShadowedFlames
19 December: Added a few rule changes for Season Nine

The League, version 3.0 Application

Please fill out and return via PM to ShadowedFlames or DM on Discord to ShadowedFlames#9549. Alternatively you can post it here if you’d like but if you’d rather have a little element of surprise in making a debut the first two options are preferred.

Name:

Short Name:

Biography (optional)

Born: Month/Year

Debuts: Month/Year

(Database is set to January 2022, so do keep that in mind!)

Size: Midget, Very Small, Small, Lightweight, Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight, Big Heavyweight, Super Heavyweight, Giant

Based in: USA, Canada, Mexico, British Isles, Japan, Europe, Australia

Nationality:  Too many to list here, fill in as appropriate

Race: White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, American Indian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Pacific, Other

Style: Regular Wrestler, Entertainer, Puroresu, Spot Monkey, Luchador, Cruiserweight, Japanese Junior, Technician, MMA Crossover, Brawler, Psychopath

AI Control Style: Automatic, Attacking, Defending, Neutral

Face/Heel:

Able to Turn:

Mask: Yes/No

Hair: Yes/No

MOVESETS:

Pick ONE (1) Culture and up to FOUR (4) Categories from the lists below.  This, along with your stats and signatures/finishers, will determine your initial automatically generated moveset!

Culture: Western, Japanese, Lucha, European

Category: Brawling, Martial Arts, Power, Behemoth, Hardcore, Technical, Submission, Suplex, Amateur, MMA, Speed, Strong Style, Gymnastic, Savage, Comedy, Old School, Entertainment

Initial Signature: Name (description)

Initial Finisher: Name (description)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

FOR MANAGERS ONLY:

Name:

Short Name:

Biography (optional)

Born: Month/Year

Debuts: Month/Year

(Database is set to January 2022, so do keep that in mind!)

Size: Midget, Very Small, Small, Lightweight, Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight, Big Heavyweight, Super Heavyweight, Giant

Based in: USA, Canada, Mexico, British Isles, Japan, Europe, Australia

Nationality:  Too many to list here, fill in as appropriate

Race: White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, American Indian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Pacific, Other

Face/Heel:

Able to Turn:

Management Techniques (Updated after Season Nine, all four of the below are active by default):

Distract (counters Lifting Impact inside the ring)

Attack (counter when both wrestlers are outside the ring)

Trip (counters any Charging move inside the ring)

Interfere (counters any Top Rope Leap or Dive)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Stat and Trait Distribution will occur once the character has been added to the database, in case the handler wishes to spend some initial XP on adding or improving signatures/finishers.

Edited by ShadowedFlames

THE LIST OF TRAITS

Reminder for new character creation ONLY: Start with 5 TP, can take two Level 1 negative traits to start, positive traits have max of Level 2 as long as it remains within your TP budget.

WARNING: For traits with multiple levels, the costs listed are the individual level costs. If purchasing multiple levels at once, add the costs together.  Example: Tough as Nails, if purchasing Levels 1 and 2 at once, costs 2 + 4 = 6 TP.

BODY HEALTH: These traits influence how much damage a specific portion of your character’s body takes during the course of a match.

Limits:  One positive, one negative.

Abs of Steel: Body Damage -20%: 1 TP
Flabby Belly: Body Damage +20%: -1 TP

Bulging Biceps: Arm Damage -20%: 1 TP
Toothpick Arms: Arm Damage +20%: -1 TP
Shin Guard: Leg Damage -20%: 1 TP
Matchstick Legs: Leg Damage +20%: -1 TP
Steel Skull: Head Damage -20%: 1 TP
Not the Face!: Head Damage +20%: -1 TP

STARTING HEALTH: Self-explanatory. Affects your character’s starting health level in a match.

Limit:  One trait total

Puny Human: Starting Health Drops 5/10/15% based on rank: -1 / -3 / -5 TP
Tough as Nails: Starting Health Increases 5/10/15% based on rank: 2 / 4 / 6 TP

STAMINA: Affects how quickly your character uses stamina during a match. Important for longer bouts!

Limit: One trait total.

Cardio Freak: Stamina Losses in match reduced by 50/66/80%: 2 / 4 / 6 TP
Gasses Easily: Stamina Losses in match increased by 50/66/80%: -1 / -3 / -5 TP

BASE TO-HIT CHANCE INCREASES: These traits affect a specific class of move and your character’s ability to actually land the move in question.

Limit:  Maximum of three traits

Choke Slam Chief: Choke Lifting Impact moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Educated Feet: Lower Body Strike moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Flyboy: Top Rope moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Ground and Pound: Ground Strike moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Impact Player: Impact (plain) moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Master of the Powerbomb: Powerbomb Lifting Impact moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Modern Day Atlas: Horizontal Lifting Impact moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Pure Grappler: Standing Submission moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Raw Power: Other Lifting Impact moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Respected Brawler: Upper Body Strike moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Submission Specialist: Ground Submission moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Suicidal: Plancha, Springboard, and Slingshot moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Takedown Machine: Submission Takedown moves gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP

OTHER TO-HIT CHANCES: Other mitigating factors to a to-hit chance that aren’t listed above.

Limit: None

Apex Predator: Finishing moves with Full Momentum gain 10/15/20% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Menace to Furniture: Moves attempted to put foe through Tables gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Showman: Taunt success chance gain 5/15/25%: 1 / 2 / 3 TP

FLOOR/OUT OF RING MODIFIERS: How well does your character fare when fighting outside the ring?

Limit: One trait total

Anarchist: Moves done outside the ring gain 5/15/25% to hit: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Fish Out of Water: Moves done outside ring lose 5/15/25% to hit: -1 / -2 / -3 TP

DAMAGE ENHANCERS:  Certain moves will deal increased damage.

Limit: Maximum of two traits

Air Force: Top Rope moves add 5/10/15% to damage: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Feet of Fire: Lower Body Strike moves add 5/10/15% to damage: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Hands of Stone: Upper Body Strike moves add 5/10/15% to damage: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
High Impact: Impact moves add 5/10/15% to damage: 1 / 2 / 3 TP

STANDARD COUNTERMEASURES: When on defense, using a specific type of avoidance or counter move will be more likely to succeed.

Limit: Maximum of three traits

Bullet Time: Moves countered with Avoid gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Experienced Grappler: Moves countered with Block gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Iron Will: Moves countered with Break gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Radar Sense: Moves countered with Move gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Slippery Customer: Moves countered with Slip Out gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Crafty Veteran: Moves countered with Rope Break gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Counter Grappler: Moves countered with non-striking move gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Counter Striker: Moves countered with striking move gain +5/10/15% to success: 1 / 2 / 3 TP

OTHER COUNTERMEASURES: These are more situational counters and thus have no additional levels.

Broken Wheel: +10% to opponent Falling on Top counter, and -15% to Lifting Impact hit: -1 TP
Heavy Load: Gain +25% chance to succeed when countering with Fall On Top: 2 TP
Master Tactician: +10% chance to counter opponent's trademark moves: 2 TP
You Can't Powerbomb...: +25% to success of Slip Out when in a Powerbomb move: 2 TP

TAUNTING: How much momentum does your character gain when they taunt?

Boring: Gain less momentum when you taunt: -1 TP
Ultra Charismatic: Gain more momentum when you taunt: 1 TP

AI CONTROL: Want to finetune how your character acts with regard to certain aspects? Here’s where you can do it.

Limit: Two traits total.

All Business: When AI Controlled, character never taunts: 1 TP
Armed and Dangerous: increases bias of putting opponent through tables/onto chairs: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Daredevil: increases bias of using planchas, springboards, and slingshots: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Entertainer: increases bias of attempting taunts: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
High Flier: increases bias of using Top Rope moves: 1 / 2 / 3 TP

ADRENALINE RUSH:  Need to be impervious to pain once per match? These are for you! (All three function the same, it’s just the flavor text that changes.)

Adrenaline (Hulk Up): Gain an adrenaline rush in style of Hulk Hogan: 2 TP
Adrenaline (Shaking): Gain an adrenaline rush in style of Ultimate Warrior: 2 TP
Adrenaline (War Dance): Gain an adrenaline rush in style of Tatanka: 2 TP

TOP ROPE AFFINITY: How well does your character climb the turnbuckles?

Afraid to Fly: Will not voluntarily climb to top rope: 1 TP
Agile Climber: Gets to the top rope quickly: 1 TP
Cannot Go Up Top: Character cannot end up on top rope at all: -1 TP

BLOOD: Affects how easily your character is busted open, and if they get an adrenaline rush if they do.

Limit: One of either Crimson Mask/Leather Skin. No restrictions on Raging Bull.

Crimson Mask: Chance of being busted open increased by 20/40/60%: -1 / -3 / -5 TP
Leather Skin: Chance of being busted open decreased by 20/40/60%: 2 / 4 / 6 TP
Raging Bull: Gain Full Momentum when busted open for first time in a match: 2 TP

REACTIONS: Ever been accused of no-selling?  Prove it with these traits?

Man of Steel Reaction: 20/66/100% chance to shrug off certain low level moves: 2 / 4 / 6 TP
Undead Reaction: 20/66/100% chance to shrug off certain low level moves: 2 / 4 / 6 TP

CORNER ENTRY: Are you the type who adds a little drama when being whipped into the corner of the ring? These are for you.

Limit: One trait total.

Corner Crasher: Corner Whip has 10% of going chest-first into turnbuckle, ending up down in ring: 1 TP
Corner Flipper: Corner Whip has 10% of flipping upside down into turnbuckle, ending up on apron: 1 TP
Corner Flopper: Corner Whip has 10% of flipping upside down into turnbuckle, ending up on floor: 1 TP
Corner Rebounder: Corner Whip has 10% of flipping upside down into turnbuckle, ending down in ring: 1 TP

MATCH FINISH:  Affects moves that could end matches.

Confidence Builder: If you escape a pin/submission with 800+ chance to win without help, gain 1 Warrior Spirit Point: 3 TP
Eternal Underdog: Gain 10/20/30% chance to win when using a “win on vulnerable only” move: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
No Surrender: Chance on being forced to submit decreased by 10/20/30%: 2 / 4 / 6 TP

REELING: How easily do you fall down when left reeling?

Hard to Topple: When Reeling, a wrestler will always remain standing: 1 TP
Rubbery Legs: When Reeling, a wrestler will always fall down: -1 TP

MATCH START:  Do you put a lot of effort into the opening minutes, or prefer to wait for an opening later?

Real Fast Starter: Gain 10% to rolls in the first five minutes of the match: 1 TP
Real Late Starter: Lose 10% to rolls in the first five minutes of the match: -1 TP

ASSORTED: These traits don’t really fit in with the other categories and are bunched together here.

Limit: None

Mic King: Gain 10/20/30% to interviews: N/A (Only applicable in solo games only)
Rule Bender: 10/20/30/40/50% less likely to be punished by ref for breaking rules: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 TP
Samoan Skull: Certain Moves will not affect wrestler or may hurt attacker: 2 TP
Skin the Cat: 10/20/30% chance to take control when thrown out of the ring: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Suicidal, Homicidal: Increase self-inflicted damage by 5/10/15%: -1 / -2 / -3 TP

TAG TEAM: While The League is primarily focused on singles matches, there IS a Tag Team Turmoil event every mid-season. These traits may help or hinder your chances of winning that event.

Limits: One of Alert/Dozing Partner, one of any trait that affects chance to tag out. Tag Team Master has no restrictions.

Alert Partner: Increased chance of tag saves: 1 / 2 / 3 TP
Dozing Partner: Lowered chance of tag saves: -1 / -2 / -3 TP
Fast Tagger: Tag Chance with Positive Momentum +20%: 1 TP
Martyr Complex: Tag Chance with Negative Momentum -20%: -1 TP
Prima Donna Partner: Tag Chance with Positive Momentum -20%: -1 TP
Strategic Partner: Tag Chance with Negative Momentum +20%: 1 TP
Tag Team Master: Tag Chance +10/20/30% plus 1/2/3 Tag team Points to any team you are a member of: 2 / 5 / 10 TP

COSMETIC: Does your character move like a lumbering giant? The undead? Or more like a snake? Add that flavor here!

Limit: One trait total. Because these are cosmetic traits used only during matches to slightly alter how a person moves in and out of the ring, these have no cost.

Creeping Movement: Movement Style changes to sneaky/creeping. 0 TP
Flamboyant Movement: Movement Style becomes flamboyant. 0 TP
Giant Movement: Movement style becomes giant-like. 0 TP
Snake Movement: Movement Style becomes snake-like. 0 TP
Zombie Sit-up: Sits up rather than simply standing. 0 TP

Edited by ShadowedFlames

All right. First three posts are edited.  I realize interest probably isn't going to be as high given it's WS3, and it's been 7 years since I did the last version of this, but it's time to bring this project back home for one more good, final run.

That said, any questions, feel free to throw them in here and I'll answer what I can when I see them.

I realize this is likely to be a wordy post, so apologies in advance. I assure you, the post after this one will be more interesting as it’s an example of how a completed League show would look, based off the Rowdy Ringsports Wrestling stuff I did off-site.

So with the intent of showing just what exactly goes into the character creation process here, I’m going to provide a start-to-finish example for a character who was in Season Seven of The League (and nearly won the thing), but due to in-character events has since retired from professional wrestling.

The application form comes in as follows:

·         Name: Amelia Midnight

·         Short Name: Midnight

·         Biography (optional):  Last seen at the end of The League’s seventh season, Amelia Midnight’s career would take a tragic turn as within the span of a year, she had her ACL purposefully severed during a tornado tag match for a promotion based out of Baltimore, Maryland.  During the rehab to recover from that, she had her right knee shattered (among other injuries) as a result of actions undertaken by a gang looking to target her friend and employer, Will “The Phoenix” Prydor.  Told she would never wrestle again, a second opinion years later would give her one last chance to compete in the ring.  With that chapter in her life now fully closed, Amelia looks to simply enjoy life raising her pre-teen daughter.

·         Born: October 1993

·         Debuts: January 2012

·         Size: Very Small (5’3”, 138 pounds—actual size not required, is provided here for an example)

·         Based in: USA

·         Nationality: American

·         Race: White

·         Style: Cruiserweight

·         AI Control: Attacking

·         Face/Heel: Face

·         Able to Turn: Yes

·         Mask: No

·         Hair: Yes

MOVESETS

·         Culture: Western

·         Category: Brawling, Speed, Entertainment, Hardcore

·         Initial Signature: Nightfall Suplex (corner spider superplex)

·         Initial Finisher: Nocturnal Sonata (top rope shooting star leg drop)

o    (Note: The Nightfall Suplex often leads directly into the Nocturnal Sonata as she’s already on the top turnbuckle after pulling herself back up from the spider superplex.)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

NO MANAGER

At this point, the League Director would go into his copy of WS3, and create a new wrestler with these parameters, and then assign them a contract to The League (to make it easier for me later to edit OVR and stats when training comes in).  The fact that aside from overall and spirit being set at 400, there are no stats for Amelia is irrelevant.  He’s not at the moveset creation point yet.

Once the character is saved, the initial signature and finisher will be created.  Since the finisher is a direct copy of an in-game move, that’s easily Duplicated, and the resulting record is edited to have an 250 Hit Chance (due to a high-risk move) and 850 Chance to Win.  Special commentary blurbs also go in here for these moves to flavor purposes in play-by-play.  It’s then assigned to be a trademark of Amelia Midnight, and should show up when automatic moveset creation is done.

Similar work would go into the Nightfall Suplex.  Because it’s noted in the application that the signature is the usual set-up to the finisher, that’s noted in the Nightfall Suplex setup as well, to try to get the AI to chain Nightfall -> Sonata as the handler intended.

Once all of this is done, the Director informs the handler that everything is ready to go, and just needs stats distribution and/or trademark improvements and purchases.  The handler asks for a second finisher:  Darkness Rising (springboard roundhouse kick), no other signature improvements.  Director notes the deduction of 1000 XP for the new finisher (leaves 11,500 XP), and notes the available stat points to be distributed is 2,300 based on the table he has created that scales XP costs the higher the amount of stats a character has.

The handler’s concept of Amelia Midnight is a character who isn’t the strongest out there, but makes up for it with speed and aggression. She may not be the most athletic, and certainly shouldn’t be able to pull off a shooting star anything off the top rope (especially after her injuries), but knows that’s her ace in the hole. Otherwise, she’s a fighter, doesn’t care much about holds and actual wrestling—her time in a hardcore-style backyard federation in Colorado is proof of this—and will beat someone with anything not nailed down if given the chance.

Given 2300 stat points, the handler chooses to distribute them as follows:

·         Strength: 50

·         Striking: 550

·         Grappling: 50

·         Ground: 100

·         Speed: 675

·         Stamina: 500

·         Athleticism: 375

·         Manager Overall: 0

While at this juncture, and with the list of traits handy as posted above in this thread, the handler also decides on Amelia’s traits package, in order to streamline everything else that needs to be done.  The handler elects for the following (rationales shown here for example as to how the handler is thinking):

STARTING TOTAL: 5 TP

·         Matchstick Legs:  -1 TP (cumulative 5 - -1 = 6)

·         Broken Wheel: -1 TP (cumulative 6 - -1 = 7). NO MORE NEGATIVE TRAITS CAN BE BOUGHT.  In accordance with Amelia’s backstory, her surgically repaired/reconstructed right leg is a weak point, and as such a target for attacks and a weak point for supporting any strength moves Amelia would use. Plus this allows for additional trait purchases.

·         Flyboy, Level 2: 1 + 2 = 3 TP (cumulative 7 – 3 = 4)  Increase the hit rate of Nocturnal Sonata as primary finisher.

·         Suicidal, Level 1: 1 TP (cumulative 4 – 1 = 3) Increase hit rate of Darkness Rising as secondary finisher.

·         Menace to Furniture, Level 1: 1 TP (cumulative 3 – 1 = 2) A nod to her hardcore background. Should stack with Flyboy for hardcore bouts.

·         Anarchist, Level 1: 1 TP (cumulative 2 – 1 = 1) Another nod to hardcore background, and should also stack with Flyboy/Menace to Furniture above if conditions are right.  Shooting star legdrop to the outside, through a table?  Talk about a way to end a match!

·         High Flier, Level 1:  1 TP (cumulative 1 – 1 = 0) Amelia’s most at home in the air, this tells the AI to try to have a little more bias towards those aerial maneuvers. A future purchase is planned for Daredevil to weigh her actions towards both of her finishers.

At this point, the handler now needs to wait on the Director to do his thing with the database.  The Director edits Amelia’s stats to be as directed, adds the secondary finisher, adds the traits, and then finally goes in to generate a moveset, based off the Culture, Categories (from the initial application), and stats that have been provided. The generated moveset looks as shown below.  The moves in red are manually removed by the Director to keep from having additional finisher-level moves in a moveset that were not paid for, and then saved to the character in the database to keep from having to do all of this a second time.

·         Animalistic Spear

·         Arabian Facebuster

·         Arm Drag

·         Attempted Mask Removal

·         Baseball Slide

·         Baseball Slide to Arm

·         Begging off Eye Poke

·         Begging Off Low Blow

·         Begging Off Sucker Punch

·         Big Legdrop

·         Blindside High Knee

·         Brass Knuckles Punch

·         Butt Smash

·         Cable Choke Out

·         Cage Rake

·         Call for Finisher Taunt

·         Chair Choke Out

·         Chair Shot from Above

·         Chair Shot to Arm

·         Chair Shot to Head

·         Chair Shot to Knee

·         Chair Shot to Ribs

·         Chair Stomp Ankle Breaker

·         Cheating Sunset Flip

·         Choke Hold

·         Chop Block

·         Corner Boot Scrape

·         Corner Bucking Bronco

·         Corner Choke

·         Corner Elbow

·         Corner Forearm Blow

·         Corner Forearm Charge

·         Corner Forearm Flurry

·         Corner Knife Edge Chop

·         Corner Open Handed Chop

·         Corner Running Dropkick

·         Corner Running Low Blow Kick

·         Corner Seated Dropkick

·         Corner Slap to Chest

·         Corner Spear

·         Corner Stomp Flurry

·         Corner Ten Punch

·         Corner Triple Kick

·         Darkness Rising

·         DDT

·         Discus Clothesline

·         Discus Punch

·         Dropkick

·         Dropkick to Corner

·         Dropkick to Knee

·         Dropkick to Outside

·         Elbow Drop

·         Enzuigiri Kick

·         European Uppercut

·         Eye Poke

·         Face Rake

·         Face Rub Taunt

·         Fireball

·         Fist Drop

·         Flying Forearm

·         Forearm to Back

·         Forearm to Back of Head

·         Get Up Taunt

·         Hair Pull Takedown

·         Half Senton

·         Handshake Kick to Gut

·         Handshake Sucker Punch

·         Headbutt

·         Headbutt to Groin

·         High Cross Body

·         High Knee

·         Jab Punch

·         Kick to Gut

·         Kick to Knee

·         Kick to Thigh

·         Knee Drop

·         Knee Lift

·         Knife Edge Chop

·         Leaping Elbow Drop

·         Legdrop

·         Legdrop to Groin

·         Legsweep Kick

·         Low Blow

·         Low Blow Kick

·         Monkey Flip

·         Nightfall Suplex

·         Nocturnal Sonata

·         On-Apron Forearm Blow

·         On-Apron Headbutt

·         On-Apron Kick to Gut

·         On-Apron Knee Lift

·         On-Apron Punch

·         Open Handed Chop

·         Posing Elbow Drop

·         Punch

·         Punch Flurry

·         Rebound Knee Lift

·         Ring Apron Double Axe Handle

·         Ring Apron Dropkick

·         Ring Apron Elbow Drop

·         Ring Apron Enzuigiri Kick

·         Ring Apron Face Slam

·         Ring Apron Flying Clothesline

·         Ring Apron Flying Forearm Smash

·         Ring Apron Forearm Blow

·         Ring Apron Headbutt

·         Ring Apron Legdrop

·         Ring Apron Punch

·         Ring Apron Turnbuckle Smash

·         Ring Post Smash

·         Rolling Senton

·         Rolling Wheel Kick

·         Rope-Assisted Choke Hold

·         Rope-Assisted Double Footed Choke

·         Roundhouse Body Kick

·         Roundhouse Body Punch

·         Roundhouse Punch

·         Running Big Boot

·         Running Dropkick

·         Running Face Smash

·         Running Forearm Blow

·         Running Half Senton

·         Running Knee Drop

·         Running Knee Lift

·         Running Seated Dropkick

·         Running Senton

·         Seated Back Dropkick

·         Seated Back Kick

·         Seated Dropkick

·         Seated Kick

·         Second Rope Dropkick

·         Second Rope Elbow Drop

·         Second Rope Fist Drop

·         Second Rope Forearm Drop

·         Second Rope Knee Drop

·         Senton

·         Slap to Chest

·         Slapping Taunt

·         Slit Throat Motion

·         Snap Driving Elbow

·         Spear

·         Spinning Arm Drag

·         Spinning Elbow Blow

·         Spinning Heel Kick

·         Stalk Grounded Enemy

·         Stomp

·         Stomp Flurry

·         Stomp to Groin

·         Sunset Flip

·         Super Kick

·         Thrust Kick

·         Thrust Kick to Corner

·         Top Rope Point Taunt

·         Top Rope Predator’s Taunt

·         Trash Can to Back

·         Trash Can to Head

·         Vertical Body Press

The handler now has a chance to look over the list and make any (legal) changes to the moveset if they so wish, or eschew the moveset entirely and submit one of their own that’s legal by League rules.  For the purposes of this example, the handler simply signs off on the automatically generated moveset.

At this point, Amelia Midnight has been fully created and is ready to go in exhibition matches within Wrestling Spirit 3/The League.

The following is what a show would roughly look like.  I admit I copied this wholesale from the other forum I ran this on, and changed a few of the Division mentions to match what I plan for The League here. This is a quick and dirty example of what to expect.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Devil%27s%20Angel.jpgDevil%27s%20Delight.jpgDevil's Delight (0-9, OVR 399) vs. Angela Wassermann (3-6, OVR 409) Angela%20Wassermann.jpg

This went about as expected. Spot of hope for Delight near the end as she hit Hellborne Rising twice, but Wassermann was too much for Delight. The cross arm breaker sent Delight to her tenth straight loss in rather short order.

Angela Wassermann (4-6) def. Devil's Delight (0-10) via Submission (Cross Arm Breaker) in 14:28. Rating: **
Changes for Angela Wassermann: OVR + 4.22, XP + 486.94, no notable damage
Changes for Devil's Delight: OVR -0.07, XP + 103.48, minor damage to head

Indigo%20Rose.jpgIndigo Rose (3-6, OVR 434) vs. Jimmy Anarchy (1-8, OVR 421) Jimmy%20Anarchy.jpg

A rather dull bout, the only excitement came in the last two minutes when the ref got caught by a Jimmy Anarchy Purge. This gave Rose the opening she needed to wear down Anarchy enough that a pair of Blood From a Rose DDTs were enough to score the surprise victory as Anarchy kicked out a fraction too late. Otherwise, nothing of interest to write home about in this one; let’s move on.

Indigo Rose (4-6) def. Jimmy Anarchy (1-9) via Pinfall (Blood From a Rose) in 16:18. Rating: *
Changes for Indigo Rose: OVR + 3.05, XP + 447.17, minor damage to head
Changes for Jimmy Anarchy: OVR -0.93, XP + 111.79, minor damage to head

Sven%20Ulafsson.jpgSven Ulafsson (1-8, OVR 436) vs. Faarooq Mahal Jr. (6-3, OVR 424) Faarooq%20Mahal%20Jr.png

Mahal was barely in any danger throughout this match, using his technical skills to control Ulafsson and chaining the Maharaja Clip into the Full Metal Jacket in a good piece of technical chain wrestling that had Sven quickly tapping out. Essentially a long squash match, FMJ ensures that he will remain at least tied for the Alpha Division lead heading into week 11.

Faarooq Mahal Jr. (7-3) def. Sven Ulafsson (1-9) via Submission (Full Metal Jacket) in 15:02. Rating: *
Changes for Faarooq Mahal Jr.: OVR + 3.00, XP + 446.61, no notable damage
Changes for Sven Ulafsson: OVR -0.91, XP + 111.65, minor damage to head

El%20Tornado.jpgEl Tornado (3-6, OVR 444) vs. Hans Nitschke (6-3, OVR 424) Hans%20Nitschke.pngHijo%20del%20Cadaver.png

At first, this was very nearly a seven-minute squash. Nitschke absolutely dominated the opening of the match and had Tornado in Euthanasia Driver territory without ever receiving more than a handful of offensive moves in return. Breaking out of a setup DDY seemed to wake Tornado up, though, and the next seven minutes were controlled by him, moving Herr Doktor closer and closer into Tornado Splash range. Nitschke weathered the storm (pun not intended), though, and managed to hit a desperation Euthanasia Driver after moving out of the way of a running senton, and Nitschke escapes week ten with a win that by all rights, he should have locked up in less than half of the time.

Hans Nitschke (7-3) def. El Tornado (3-7) via Pinfall (Euthanasia Driver) in 15:00. Rating: **
Changes for Hans Nitschke: OVR + 4.25, XP + 414.12, minor damage to head
Changes for El Tornado: OVR -0.07, XP + 121.80, moderate damage to head, minor damage to body

Brandy%20McDonald.jpgBrandy McDonald (7-2, OVR 479) vs. George Mastachas (4-5, OVR 417) George%20Mastachas.jpg

Mastachas showed a solid game plan coming into this match. He knew that McDonald’s cardio was in good shape, so he looked to squeeze the stamina out of her in the middle portion of the match with repeated applications of the body scissors. Combine that with numerous Olympus Rises shoulder blocks, and enduring the attempted McDonald comeback long enough to break out of a Brandy With a Twist and finally land a Wrath of Zeus on the fourth try, and you have the recipe for what has to be considered a minor upset. Mastachas stuns McDonald with a pinfall victory, and opens the door for Eugene Nagata to widen the gap in the Beta Division a few matches from now.

George Mastachas (5-5) def. Brandy McDonald (7-3) via Pinfall (Wrath of Zeus) in 23:25. Rating: **
Changes for George Mastachas: OVR + 4.73, XP + 491.24, minor damage to head
Changes for Brandy McDonald: OVR -0.08, XP + 122.81, moderate damage to head, minor damage to body

Mel%20OHallister.jpgMel O'Hallister (6-3, OVR 427) vs. Lance Heartilly (6-3, OVR 469) Lance%20Heartilly.jpg

This was a Match of the Night contender, and was fairly competitive throughout. O’Hallister controlled the first five minutes, battering Heartilly with a variety of strikes. Heartilly broke free from an attempted belly to belly suplex, and proceeded to wear down O’Hallister over the next six minutes by sticking to his technical strengths. A minor tactical error in causing Mel to start bleeding via a stump piledriver—though O’Hallister has not been known to exhibit rage at being busted open—gave Mel the chance to mount a comeback. A few strikes later, Heartilly was in Irish Clover territory and nearly in further danger, but a blocked jab led to a single arm DDT, and Heartilly quickly applied the Hellacious Leglock. With O’Hallister’s one bad knee, most expected a quick tap, but Mel instead started to fight to turn the hold over to reverse the pressure, causing Heartilly to break it early. A second attempt led to another O’Hallister offensive spurt, as Mel tried every strike he could think of to wear down Heartilly enough for the Dream of the Emerald Isle. It wasn’t to be, though, as the RRW Champion rolled out of the way of a leaping elbow drop, proceeded to stomp O’Hallister in the lower abdomen—replays would show that it was damn close to a blatant groin shot—and lock in the Hellacious Leglock a second time. This time, O’Hallister had no defense for it and was forced to tap, bringing one of the only notable matches of the night to a close.

Lance Heartilly (7-3) def. Mel O'Hallister (6-4) via Submission (Hellacious Leglock) in 15:42. Rating: ***
Changes for Lance Heartilly: OVR + 5.55, XP + 528.16, minor damage to head
Changes for Mel O'Hallister: OVR + 0.77, XP + 132.04, minor damage to head

Sterling%20Silver.jpgSterling Silver (2-7, OVR 430) vs. Reverend Johnny Gross (7-2, OVR 475) Reverend%20Johnny%20Gross.jpg

For about two or three minutes in the middle part of the match, it seemed like Silver could pull off the upset, having strung together a fair bit of offense and looking to pick up the speed of the match. A missed seated running dropkick led into a Kneel Before God, and that was all it took to kill her momentum. Gross methodically picked Silver apart after that, and the Come to Jesus was inevitable, as was the tap that followed soon after. Gross keeps a step ahead of Nitschke in the Delta Division with the win.

Reverend Johnny Gross (8-2) def. Sterling Silver (2-8) via Submission (Come to Jesus) in 17:46. Rating: **
Changes for Reverend Johnny Gross: OVR + 4.41, XP + 488.53, minor damage to head
Changes for Sterling Silver: OVR -0.08, XP + 122.13, minor damage to head

Terrance%20Stevens.jpgTerrance Stevens (3-6, OVR 455) vs. Eugene Nagata (7-2, OVR 453)

The match started off slow and methodical on both sides, Nagata showing a rather unusual amount of caution in his attack plan. At least, he did until about the thirteen-minute point of the match. At that point, it was like a switch got flipped and Nagata went all out. A Nagata Special, Nagata Lock 5, and four more Nagata Specials came over the next five minutes, before finally Eugene showed mercy (such as it is) and delivered the Nagata Knockout to put Stevens away and open up a little bit of a gap in the Beta Division.

Eugene Nagata (8-2) def. Terrance Stevens (3-7) via Pinfall (Nagata Knockout) in 18:37. Rating: *
Changes for Eugene Nagata: OVR + 3.14, XP + 380.96, no notable damage
Changes for Terrance Stevens: OVR -0.96, XP + 112.05, moderate damage to head, minor damage to body

Lord%20Robert%20Abernathy.jpgLord Robert Abernathy (4-5, OVR 467) vs. Diamond Steel (4-5, OVR 457) Diamond%20Steel.jpg

Just barely outside of squash territory, this was a short match controlled by Steel for the majority of it. Abernathy struggled to chain much offense together and in the end, his attempt at a short-arm knee lift got dodged by Steel, who carried her momentum to the ropes and delivered her trademark All Out Blitz to at least attempt to barely remain in the Beta Division hunt, while Abernathy’s loss all but eliminates him from winning his division this season.

Diamond Steel (5-5) def. Lord Robert Abernathy (4-6) via Pinfall (All Out Blitz) in 11:57. Rating: **
Changes for Diamond Steel: OVR + 4.08, XP + 485.74, no notable damage
Changes for Lord Robert Abernathy: OVR -0.07, XP + 121.43, moderate damage to head

Glenn Knight (2-7, OVR 455) vs. Jack Braddock (5-4, OVR 469) Jack%20Braddock%20S2.png

This was an all-out slugfest. Think Rocky II or Rocky IV and you’ll get the idea of how dramatic this was (even if Maven Deltzer didn’t think so). This was the best that Knight has looked in weeks as he pushed Braddock to the limit, only for Jack to push back and deliver a pummeling to Glenn’s head. In the end, though, Braddock was able to avoid the haymakers of Knight, eventually get a spinning backfist to connect and follow up with a Jack Attack, giving him a much-needed victory to stay within shouting distance of the Delta Division lead.

Jack Braddock (6-4) def. Glenn Knight (2-8) via Pinfall (Jack Attack) in 17:15. Rating: **
Changes for Jack Braddock: OVR + 4.38, XP + 488.28, minor damage to head and body
Changes for Glenn Knight: OVR -0.08, XP + 122.07, major damage to head

Yoshii%20Nakamatsu.jpgYoshii Nakamatsu (6-3, OVR 473) vs. Elyssa Anderson (4-5, OVR 448) Elyssa%20Anderson.jpg

This was surprisingly one-sided…and not in the favor of Nakamatsu. Yoshii had trouble getting started and by the time he managed to hit a couple of moves, Anderson had already hit her Shotgun Dropkick and followed it with an Elysium Whirl for the quick three-count and a huge momentum shift in the Beta Division, making things that much more interesting as the homestretch of the regular season looms on the horizon.

Elyssa Anderson (5-5) def. Yoshii Nakamatsu (6-4) via Pinfall (Elysium Whirl) in 9:03. Rating: **
Changes for Elyssa Anderson: OVR + 3.91, XP + 484.34, no notable damage
Changes for Yoshii Nakamatsu: OVR -0.07, XP + 121.09, minor damage to head

Hans%20Meyer.jpgOtto%20von%20Schwarz.jpgOtto von Schwarz (3-6, OVR 467) vs. Hailey Carmichael (6-3, OVR 463) Hailey%20Carmichael%20S2.pngLeslie%20Burrell.png

This was rather close throughout, as Otto used his size and power to batter Carmichael, who would respond in kind with her technical game to wear the big man down. Hailey’s vastly superior cardio (at least in comparison to her opponent) also played a role here, as she was able to push herself for longer periods of time. While von Schwarz was the first to push his opponent to the point where a finisher could be attempted, he never got the chance to thanks to Leslie Burrell drawing the ref’s attention by running over to argue with Hans Meyer outside the ring. This let Carmichael go low on Otto, and instead of going for a cover, she managed to lock in #NoFilter on the giant. The ref turned around from the argument just in time to see von Schwarz tap out, and Hailey escapes this match with a win that could honestly have gone either way.

Hailey Carmichael (7-3) def. Otto von Schwarz (3-7) via Submission (#NoFilter) in 21:34. Rating: **
Changes for Hailey Carmichael: OVR + 4.62, XP + 416.80, minor damage to head
Changes for Otto von Schwarz: OVR -0.08, XP + 104.20, minor damage to head

Jun%20Onoo.jpgJun Onoo (4-5, OVR 450) vs. Pulsar (6-3, OVR 480) Pulsar.jpg

Short but competitive, Onoo managed a few hard hits to Pulsar over the course of the first eight minutes that were enough to slow the luchador a step or two when he was on offense. But even given the size disparity, trading two shots for one wasn’t going to work out in Onoo’s favor in the end, and that’s exactly how this played out. A few strikes too many led to a Zodiac Implosion, and Pulsar netting the win in a relative sprint of a bout.

Pulsar (7-3) def. Jun Onoo (4-6) via Pinfall (Zodiac Implosion) in 10:39. Rating: **
Changes for Pulsar: OVR + 4.00, XP + 485.11, no notable damage
Changes for Jun Onoo: OVR -0.07, XP + 121.28, minor damage to head and body

Daniel%20Simmons.jpgDaniel Simmons (6-3, OVR 475) vs. Vladimir Chavinski (6-3, OVR 451) Vladimir%20Chavinski.jpg

It might have been competitive, but it was dull and lifeless, ending with a Blue Collar Driver. Simmons narrows the gap in the Delta Division with the win, while Chavinski is unable to make up any ground in the top flight.

Daniel Simmons (7-3) def. Vladimir Chavinski (6-4) via Pinfall (Blue Collar Driver) in 14:51. Rating: *
Changes for Daniel Simmons: OVR + 2.99, XP + 446.53, no notable damage
Changes for Vladimir Chavinski: OVR -0.91, XP + 111.63, moderate damage to head

Billy%20Norris.jpgBilly Norris (7-2, OVR 478) vs. Blood River (5-4, OVR 451) Blood%20River.jpgThe%20Acolyte.jpg

A nice, competitive match that was missing a gear to push it to Match of the Night contention, this had River take an early lead in the match, which Norris fought back over the following minutes to even it up and eventually be in the driver’s seat. A couple of Boomerang DDTs had River on the figurative ropes, but Norris was unable to connect with the Down Under Disaster on three different occasions. Each time River would get a little more offense in before Norris made another attempt to finish the match. On the fourth, though, River finally found himself in position to schoolboy Norris into a sudden pin attempt, and got a three for his efforts to score the minor upset and thwart Norris’s attempt to inherit the outright Gamma Division lead. The Gamma Division looks to be a closely contested division as the final weeks of the season start to roll on, with at least four people within one match of the lead.

Blood River (6-4) def. Billy Norris (7-3) via Pinfall (missed Down Under Disaster) in 13:24. Rating: **
Changes for Blood River: OVR + 4.16, XP + 413.47, minor damage to head
Changes for Billy Norris: OVR -0.07, XP + 121.61, minor damage to head

Markus%20Clay.jpgMarkus Clay (6-3, OVR 466) vs. Brian Blackfield (5-4, OVR 469) Brian%20Blackfield.jpg

Tess Bradenbury: We’ve had some good matches here on our first show of 2021, but now it’s time for some main event action!

Johnny Tyler: Which only differs from the other matches as it’s the last one of the night before I can do back to my cabin and drink myself into a stupor.

Tess Bradenbury: …really, Johnny?

Johnny Tyler: Look, you celebrate surviving 2020 how you want, I’m doing it how I want.

Tess Bradenbury: Moving on....

quote:

(00:04) Clay broke a Standing Head Scissors Twist
(00:07) Clay hit a Handshake Kick To Gut
(00:15) Clay applied a Hammerlock
(00:22) Blackfield avoided a Forearm To Back Of Head.
(00:25) Blackfield hit a Punch
(00:29) Blackfield hit an Open Handed Chop
(00:36) Clay got a rope break to stop a Rear Chinlock
(00:40) Blackfield hit a Slap To Chest
(00:43) Clay countered an Open Handed Chop with a Forearm Blow
(00:51) Clay applied a Hammerlock
(00:58) Clay hit a Running Face Smash
(01:03) Blackfield fought back against being picked up from behind
(01:17) Blackfield applied a Side Headlock
(01:26) Blackfield hit a Standing Head Scissors Twist
(01:29) Blackfield hit a Jab Punch
(01:38) Clay very easily avoided a Forearm Blow.
(01:41) Clay hit a Handshake Sucker Punch
(01:46) Blackfield blocked a Front Facelock
(01:55) Clay hit a Standing Head Scissors Jump
(01:59) Clay hit a Face Rake
(02:04) Blackfield blocked a Monkey Flip
(02:08) Clay hit a Begging Off Eye Poke
(02:16) Blackfield avoided an Eye Poke.
(02:20) Blackfield hit an Open Handed Chop
(02:27) Blackfield applied a Standing Arm Bar
(02:41) Blackfield applied a Front Facelock
(02:44) Blackfield hit a Forearm Blow
(02:48) Blackfield hit an Open Handed Chop
(02:54) Markus Clay very easily moved out of the way from a Legdrop.
(02:58) Clay hit a Legdrop
(03:02) Clay hit an Elbow Drop
(03:06) Clay hit a Knee Drop
(03:11) Blackfield broke a Legdrop To Groin
(03:14) Blackfield hit a Jab Punch
(03:28) Blackfield applied a Cravate
(03:32) Blackfield hit a Slap To Chest
(03:40) Clay got a rope break to stop a Standing Arm Bar
(03:54) Blackfield applied a Front Facelock
(04:03) Blackfield hit a Standing Head Scissors Twist
(04:20) Blackfield applied a Kneeling Cravate
(04:48) Blackfield applied a Cravate
(04:52) Clay slipped out the front of a Spinning Arm Breaker
(04:57) Blackfield blocked a Monkey Flip
(05:04) Clay hit a Monkey Flip

Tess Bradenbury: Clay trying to make an opening for himself to get on the offensive, Johnny.

Johnny Tyler: Which he kind of needs, because otherwise Blackfield was just going to run away with this one.

Tess Bradenbury: Clay thrives on a faster paced offense; he’ll need to shift gears here to get back in this after the opening minutes!

quote:

(05:18) Clay applied a Choke Hold
(05:18) The referee gave Clay a stern warning
(05:26) Brian Blackfield moved out of the way from a Leaping Elbow Drop.
(05:33) Blackfield hit a Big Legdrop
(05:41) Blackfield hit a Stomp To Groin
(05:45) Blackfield hit an Elbow Drop
(06:05) Blackfield applied a Rear Chinlock
(06:09) Clay blocked a Face Rub Taunt
(06:13) Blackfield hit an Elbow Drop
(06:20) Blackfield hit a Knee Pull
(06:30) Markus Clay very easily moved out of the way from a Big Legdrop.
(06:44) Clay applied a Choke Hold
(06:44) The referee gave Clay a stern warning
(06:48) Clay hit an Elbow Drop
(06:52) Blackfield broke a Stomp To Groin
(07:09) Blackfield applied a Kneeling Cravate
(07:26) Blackfield hit a Forearm Blow
(07:43) Blackfield applied a Kneeling Cravate
(08:10) Blackfield hit a Spinning Arm Breaker
(08:17) Blackfield used a Face Rub Taunt
(08:21) Blackfield hit an Elbow Drop
(08:27) Markus Clay very easily moved out of the way from a Big Legdrop.
(08:33) Brian Blackfield moved out of the way from a Measured Knee Drop.
(08:37) Blackfield hit a Leaping Elbow Drop
(08:52) Blackfield hit a Stomp Flurry
(08:59) Blackfield hit a Big Legdrop
(09:06) Blackfield picked up Clay
(09:10) Clay broke a Piledriver
(09:18) Clay applied a Hammerlock
(09:25) Clay hit a Chop Block
(09:40) Clay hit a Stomp Flurry
(09:44) Clay hit a Running Knee Drop
(09:48) Clay hit a Measured Knee Drop
(10:07) Clay applied a Rope-Assisted Double Footed Choke
(10:07) The referee angrily told off Clay

Johnny Tyler: Why are you shouting, ref? Do you need a candy bar or something because you’re hungry?

Tess Bradenbury: I’m pretty sure the ref is getting on Markus for the blatant abuse of the rules, Johnny.

Johnny Tyler: Pfft. Not likely. Ref just needs a Sn—

Tess Bradenbury: Are you trying to get us sued by mentioning a product that is not one of our sponsors?!

Johnny Tyler: …okay. Maybe I’m the one who needs the candy bar.

quote:

(10:11) Clay hit a Leaping Elbow Drop
(10:16) Blackfield broke a Stomp To Groin
(10:30) Blackfield applied a Side Headlock
(10:46) Blackfield hit a Spinning Arm Breaker
(10:56) Blackfield picked up Clay
(11:11) Brian Blackfield makes Markus Clay feel the full fury of the Tartan Effect!
(11:15) Blackfield hit a Leaping Elbow Drop
(11:24) Blackfield picked up Clay
(11:34) Blackfield hit a Kneeling Jaw Breaker
(11:38) Clay fought back against being picked up
(11:42) Blackfield broke a Front Facelock
(11:46) Clay broke an Implant DDT
(11:50) Blackfield blocked a Monkey Flip
(12:04) Clay applied a Front Facelock
(12:11) Clay hit a DDT
(12:30) Clay applied a Rope-Assisted Choke Hold
(12:30) The referee angrily told off Clay
(12:38) Blackfield avoided a Stomp Flurry.
(12:55) Blackfield applied a Kneeling Cravate
(13:13) Clay blocked a Tartan Effect
(13:23) Blackfield hit a Belly To Belly Suplex
(13:32) Markus Clay very easily moved out of the way from a Big Legdrop.
(13:51) Clay applied a Rope-Assisted Double Footed Choke
(13:51) The referee angrily shouted at Clay
(13:55) Clay hit a Measured Knee Drop
(14:03) Clay hit a Stomp To Groin
(14:13) Clay picked up Blackfield
(14:18) Blackfield broke a Stump Piledriver
(14:28) Blackfield hit an Inverted Atomic Drop
(14:35) Blackfield picked up Clay
(14:39) Clay broke a Tartan Effect

Tess Bradenbury: Clay got lucky there; he’s already taken one Tartan Effect. A second might have done him in!

Johnny Tyler: You’d need to have something in the head for that to affect first, Tess.

Tess Bradenbury: So that means you’d be safe then, right?

Johnny Tyler: Yes, I would—hey!

quote:

(14:46) Clay hit a Knee Plant
(14:53) Clay hit a Running Forearm Blow
(14:59) Clay picked up Blackfield
(15:15) Clay hit a Stump Piledriver
(15:24) Clay climbed the turnbuckles
(15:33) Brian Blackfield moved out of the way from a Johannesburg Express.

Tess Bradenbury: Clay landed hard on the mat; he wanted everything right there!

Johnny Tyler: Cover by Blackfield, he wants to steal it!

Tess Bradenbury: Here’s the count…1…2…no! Two and a half only as Clay pops the left shoulder up! Blackfield very nearly took that one!

Johnny Tyler: Now all it’ll take is one Scotland Destroyer. Finish this, Brian!

quote:

(15:42) Blackfield hit a Slap To Chest
(15:52) Blackfield hit a Belly To Belly Suplex
(16:02) Blackfield picked up Clay
(16:07) Clay broke a Tartan Effect
(16:14) Clay hit a Running Dropkick
(16:18) Blackfield broke a Headbutt To Groin
(16:25) Blackfield applied a Standing Arm Bar
(16:32) Blackfield hit a Knee Plant
(16:38) Blackfield picked up Clay
(16:42) Clay broke a Scotland Destroyer
(16:48) Clay hit a Dropkick To Knee
(16:53) Blackfield broke a Stump Piledriver
(17:03) Blackfield hit a Belly To Belly Suplex
(17:07) Clay fought back against being picked up from behind
(17:17) Clay hit a Seated Face Plant
(17:26) Clay picked up Blackfield
(17:31) Blackfield slipped out the front of a Stump Piledriver
(17:36) Clay blocked a Scotland Destroyer
(17:52) Blackfield hit a Stump Piledriver
(18:02) Blackfield picked up Clay
(18:07) Clay broke a Scotland Destroyer
(18:14) Clay hit a Running Cheating Roll Up
(18:18) Clay got a two count
(18:25) Clay hit a DDT
(18:25) Blackfield started to bleed
(18:33) Clay climbed the turnbuckles
(18:45) Markus Clay comes off the top...and what an impressive moonsault! Clay lands the Johannesburg Express!

Tess Bradenbury: Ref slides in for the cover…and has to duck as Blackfield literally presses Clay off of him, over the official and gets to his feet!

Johnny Tyler: Big mistake, Clay! I give Brian about three minutes to put this away!

quote:

(18:59) Blackfield applied a Cravate
(19:06) Blackfield applied a Standing Arm Bar
(19:09) Blackfield hit a Punch
(19:25) Blackfield hit a Spinning Arm Breaker
(19:32) Blackfield picked up Clay
(19:48) Blackfield hit a Stump Piledriver
(19:56) Blackfield hit a Stomp To Groin
(20:01) Clay fought back against being picked up
(20:08) Clay hit a Knee Plant
(20:15) Clay hit a Half Senton
(20:22) Clay hit a Snap Driving Elbow
(20:26) Clay hit a Measured Knee Drop
(20:33) Clay used a Slit Throat Motion
(20:40) Clay picked up Blackfield
(20:44) Blackfield slipped out the front of a Stump Piledriver
(20:51) Blackfield hit a Knee Plant
(20:59) Blackfield hit a Stomp To Groin
(21:03) Blackfield hit a Fist Drop
(21:13) Blackfield picked up Clay
(21:20) Blackfield hit a DDT
(21:28) Blackfield picked up Clay
(21:46) Good Lord! Markus Clay just got rocked by the Scotland Destroyer!

Johnny Tyler: Called it! It’s over!

Tess Bradenbury: Ref comes in for the count…one…two…three! This one is over, and Brian Blackfield emerges victorious!

Johnny Tyler: I’ll admit, that was a good match. Nice way to end the first show of the year.

Tess Bradenbury: Johnny…being complimentary?

Johnny Tyler: Don’t get used to it, Tess. I promised my niece I’d try to be nicer this year.

Tess Bradenbury: Johnny, that’s rather admirable!

Johnny Tyler: Stop it! You’re going to ruin my reputation, Tess!

Tess Bradenbury: With that said, that brings week ten to a close. We’re back next week as the push to the playoffs continues. For Johnny Tyler, I’m Tess Bradenbury…good night, everyone!

Brian Blackfield (6-4) def. Markus Clay (6-4) via Pinfall (Scotland Destroyer) in 21:50. Rating: ***
Changes for Brian Blackfield: OVR + 6.00, XP + 606.35, moderate damage to head
Changes for Markus Clay: OVR + 0.83, XP + 207.84, moderate damage to head, minor damage to body
This was the Match of the Night (4 [1 this season] for Brian Blackfield, 1 [1 this season] for Markus Clay)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

DIVISION STANDINGS AFTER WEEK 10 OF 14

ALPHA DIVISION

1. Faarooq Mahal Jr.: 7-3, ATV 17:22, (AMR 1.700), OVR 426.78

2. Brian Blackfield: 6-4, ATV 19:07, (AMR 2.000), OVR 475.41

3. Vladimir Chavinski: 6-4, ATV 17:45 (AMR 1.800), OVR 450.48

4. Yoshii Nakamatsu: 6-4, ATV 15:16, (AMR 1.900), OVR 473.41

5. George Mastachas: 5-5, ATV 16:30, (AMR 2.100), OVR 422.05

6. Jun Onoo: 4-6, ATV 13:24, (AMR 1.900), OVR 449.91

7. Terrance Stevens: 3-7, ATV 17:17, (AMR 1.900), OVR 453.90

8. Otto von Schwarz: 3-7, ATV 17:01, (AMR 2.100), OVR 467.23

BETA DIVISION

1. Eugene Nagata: 8-2, ATV 17:34, (AMR 1.600), OVR 455.66

2. Pulsar: 7-3, ATV 13:27 (AMR 2.100), OVR 483.55

3. Blood River: 6-4, ATV 12:32 (AMR 2.100), OVR 455.49

4. Elyssa Anderson: 5-5, ATV 14:36, (AMR 2.400), OVR 451.63

5. Diamond Steel: 5-5, ATV 13:22 (AMR 2.300), OVR 461.47

6. Indigo Rose: 4-6, ATV 17:40, (AMR 1.700), OVR 436.64

7. Lord Robert Abernathy: 4-6, ATV 22:20 (AMR 1.900), OVR 466.61

8. Jimmy Anarchy: 1-9, ATV 13:23 (AMR 1.800), OVR 420.33

GAMMA DIVISION

1. Billy Norris: 7-3, ATV 12:39 (AMR 1.900), OVR 478.04

2. Lance Heartilly: 7-3, ATV 17:10, (AMR 2.100), OVR 474.86

3. Hailey Carmichael: 7-3, ATV 18:54, (AMR 1.800), OVR 467.25

4. Markus Clay: 6-4, ATV 13:23, (AMR 2.100), OVR 467.31

5. Mel O'Hallister: 6-4, ATV 14:31, (AMR 2.300), OVR 427.72

6. Angela Wassermann: 4-6, ATV 19:13 (AMR 1.500), OVR 413.04

7. Glenn Knight: 2-8, ATV 12:06 (AMR 2.000), OVR 455.03

4. Sven Ulafsson: 1-9, ATV 17:45, (AMR 1.600), OVR 435.05

DELTA DIVISION

1. Reverend Johnny Gross: 8-2, ATV 16:30 (AMR 2.100), OVR 479.17

2. Brandy McDonald: 7-3, ATV 12:48, (AMR 1.700), OVR 478.46

3. Hans Nitschke: 7-3, ATV 14:41 (AMR 1.900), OVR 428.60

4. Daniel Simmons: 7-3, ATV 15:01 (AMR 1.800), OVR 477.57

5. Jack Braddock: 6-4, ATV 13:25 (AMR 2.100), OVR 473.29

6. El Tornado: 3-7, ATV 15:36 (AMR 1.800), OVR 444.14

7. Sterling Silver: 2-8, ATV 14:06 (AMR 2.100), OVR 429.48

8. Devil's Delight: 0-10, ATV 0:00 (AMR 1.900), OVR 398.58

I'm interested and I have a couple questions.

1) I'm assuming a signature move is what the game calls a "Trademark" move? Does that mean we can pick/clone/copy/whatever a default move that our character wouldn't otherwise have the requirements for?

2) After auto-generating a moveset, will you be removing just Finisher level moves, or any move with a chance to win?

16 minutes ago, Croquemitaine said:

I'm interested and I have a couple questions.

1) I'm assuming a signature move is what the game calls a "Trademark" move? Does that mean we can pick/clone/copy/whatever a default move that our character wouldn't otherwise have the requirements for?

2) After auto-generating a moveset, will you be removing just Finisher level moves, or any move with a chance to win?

1) Signatures and finishers in this case are Trademarked moves. So you can clone them, rename them, and have them in your moveset. See the example I did above for Amelia Midnight. There’s no way her Athleticism is high enough to do a shooting star leg drop (especially with a bum leg), but it’s listed in her moveset as the trademarked Nocturnal Sonata. Or if the move simply doesn’t exist (the spider superplex), it’s simply added as a trademark move to the character.

2) Just finishers. The example I mentioned shows several moves that can win, and in the last version of The League I ran the running joke was that the standard low blow won more matches than some folks’ finishers or trademarks. But moves that have a chance to win, whether Vulnerable or not, are not automatically barred. Just moves listed as Finisher level in the default C-Verse database.  For the stronger types, as an example, the Powerbomb Pin remains in their moveset if they meet the requirements.

Edited by ShadowedFlames

PM sent.

16 hours ago, ShadowedFlames said:

1) Signatures and finishers in this case are Trademarked moves. So you can clone them, rename them, and have them in your moveset. See the example I did above for Amelia Midnight. There’s no way her Athleticism is high enough to do a shooting star leg drop (especially with a bum leg), but it’s listed in her moveset as the trademarked Nocturnal Sonata. Or if the move simply doesn’t exist (the spider superplex), it’s simply added as a trademark move to the character.

2) Just finishers. The example I mentioned shows several moves that can win, and in the last version of The League I ran the running joke was that the standard low blow won more matches than some folks’ finishers or trademarks. But moves that have a chance to win, whether Vulnerable or not, are not automatically barred. Just moves listed as Finisher level in the default C-Verse database.  For the stronger types, as an example, the Powerbomb Pin remains in their moveset if they meet the requirements.

Thanks, and as you'll see, the Powerbomb Pin is a pertinent example.

Anyway, PM sent. 😀

Monty Dhillon has been added to The League's database.  I'll be adding him to the Excel sheet I use for the record-keeping shortly.  For some reason the Steam version isn't showing an updated file list in the Pictures folder (and everything is pointing where it's supposed to) so I'm doing some recon work to figure out why.  I can see where the picture is in the file folder, it's just not showing up in the list during character creation.

This doesn't affect actual gameplay, it just irks me that I can't get the picture to show up. 

EDIT: ...I neglected the first rule of good users.  READ ALL THE SCREEN.  Including file extensions.  .jpeg != .jpg

Leaving the struck through parts of this post up as a reminder to self and a tribute to my sheer idiocy at 9 AM on a Sunday morning, local time.

Edited by ShadowedFlames

1 hour ago, SeanMcG said:

A new League? Let's go! I'll think of something in a bit

Yep. Figured I’d give it one last go.

Glad to see ya back. You have a little time; I’m giving it another week or two to let the forum changeover get settled and folks to see this before I get started.

Derek’s expressed interest above, and MLT is also considering returning. That’s as much as I’m aware of at the moment.

I didn’t want to just spam PMs to people since for all I know they have been like me and been off these forums for a while because of life or some such. :D 

53 minutes ago, ShadowedFlames said:

Yep. Figured I’d give it one last go.

Glad to see ya back. You have a little time; I’m giving it another week or two to let the forum changeover get settled and folks to see this before I get started.

Derek’s expressed interest above, and MLT is also considering returning. That’s as much as I’m aware of at the moment.

I didn’t want to just spam PMs to people since for all I know they have been like me and been off these forums for a while because of life or some such. :D 

That's all good mate, I've got a couple ideas to think between and probably send an app soon :)

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Quick question, might be covered somewhere already.... can we spend XP to upgrade our default finisher and signature move if we want?  I haven't decided if I want to yet, but is tempting :) 

Yep!  When some of the GMPC details get posted you’ll see that some have just their default finisher or signature but almost maxed out on stats. (Indigo Rose’s signature springs to mind.)

Also for public transparency: I have received a DM on Discord from Derek. We’re getting a League Original back; Nuclear Templeton will be added to the database in the next day or two around my other obligations.

• Like 1

A day later than planned…thanks, real-life…I’m caught up. Status report:

Monty Dhillon: is fully complete and ready.

Christian Priest: check your PMs, there’s a question/issue with your TP allotment, only thing missing from being finished. Moveset is created and also in your PMs.

Nuclear Templeton: just waiting on stats to make a moveset. Everything else is ready (traits, trademark moves).

• Like 1

Christian Priest’s traits will be entered tonight post-work, with the confusion cleared up.

THE FINAL DEADLINE FOR GETTING IN FROM THE START, AND HAVING A CHANCE AT STARTING ABOVE THE BOTTOM DIVISION, IS ONE WEEK FROM THE DATE OF THIS POST—FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9.

I am aiming to start the preseason/divisional seeding matches on Saturday morning (local time), September 10, with divisions posted on or before September 18. When the preseason begins, I will be creating the game thread in the WS3 Dynasties section, as with all other League seasons before now.

Key Dates for The League, Season Eight

Sept. 25: Opening Week

Nov. 13: Tag Team Turmoil (followed by a week off as I’ll be on a vacation from work, and will be busy with Tactics Ogre: Reborn and God of War Ragnarok)

Jan 8 or Jan 15: End of Season 8. The date varies as I haven’t decided if I’m posting a show on Christmas Day or taking that day off so folks can celebrate Christmas as they seem appropriate.

Jan 29/Feb 5: start of Season 9, date to depend on how many new entrants we get and if Christmas show happens.

• 2 months later...

I know there's still a month and a half left in Season Eight, but I'm already planning out changes for Season Nine.  Among those...

• In a change that I implemented in the off-site version of this project, and should have carried back over in retrospect, managers will now have all four interference abilities activated upon creation; existing managers will get them added in for season nine.  The lack of manager interference kind of ruins the point of even having them if their two abilities never trigger so for Season Nine those will be expanded. (Chance of implementation: 100%)
  • I am debating altering the energy level thresholds of all four divisions, so that Delta Division bouts are like your pre-show/"tryout" matches that are shorter, Gamma Divisions are early-card bouts that are a little quicker, Beta Division is similar to what we currently are running and Alpha Division is your main event style of match. This would give each division a little more flavor and unique identity, and slightly change up how every match runs as compared to sixteen cookie-cutter matches a show. (Chance of implementation: 70%)
  • I've been on record stating that player characters cannot be relegated from Delta Division, but GMPCs can.  That will not change.  What might, though, is that I run, unseen to all the players, a "fifth" division that determines who gets in to Delta in place of those GMPCs being booted. This would be at most ten characters in a single round-robin format, with no OVR or XP growth. Best finishers move into the Delta Division for the following season. This lets me introduce a couple new GMPCs and tweak ideas for characters that may eventually get introduced into The League proper. (Chance of implementation: 50%)
  • Astute readers will have noticed in the roster summary post that there's a line for each wrestler that reads similar to "Health:  Head: 100 (97.9), Body: 100 (100), Arms: 100 (100), Legs: 100 (100)".  This is a mechanic that likely will not come into full play for a couple more seasons, but has already been started--wear and tear.  Simply put, after every season the accumulated damage a wrestler takes over said season reduces their maximum body heath.  This can lead to eventually having wrestlers start at 75% (traditionally "yellow") limb health or worse, which further hampers their ability to avoid taking damage.  As the time comes for GMPCs to decide when to sit out (further increasing the turnover rate among GMPCs), more details about this mechanic and rule will be introduced, including a difference between simply resting a season or electing to have "surgery" to fully replenish the health of a body part (with a cumulative penalty to damage build-up in the future).  One specific GMPC, if introduced into the Delta Division, will already be lingering under the effects of having surgery on all four areas of their body to serve as a working example for me to determine if the numeric penalties need to be adjusted. (Chance of implementation: already done, just not relevant yet.)
  • For thread participation purposes, I am leaning towards the winner of the prediction game getting to pick an additional spot for promotion/relegation: either Alpha/Beta, Beta/Gamma, or Gamma/Delta.  The place selected will instead have two members promoted from the lower division, and two members relegated from the upper division. This is in an effort to alleviate some staleness over multiple seasons in a division's lineup.  (Chance of implementation: 75% starting in Season Nine, this will not be put into play for the current Season Eight.)

I'm welcome to other thoughts/suggestions to see if those would be able to be worked into my vision of The League in the long term.