The League, Redux: Seasons 8 and Beyond Game Thread

"They think they own this city. Hell, they think they own the whole world! But as long as I hold breath, someone is going to hold them accountable. Someone is going to speak for their victims. And someone is going to make them face... justice. Steele justice!"

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

All right. Last offseason update is upon us!

I have one PC moveset I need to finish. That’s tonight’s major task. Any other PCs who want a moveset change, consider this your final call; I plan to start running GMPC bouts tomorrow (Tuesday) after work.

Minor tasks on the agenda: slight update to the master spreadsheet, adding a spot for manager bios as well. In addition, finalizing that all places that need them for show purposes have correct, updated picture links. (This is mainly for said master spreadsheet and also my master Word document that has a few other handy reference notes at the beginning.)

Once that’s done, I can start trying to figure out why these forums have started to treat pasting directly from an Excel sheet like I’m trying to insert a very long PNG file instead of text, leading to an extra step in the process on my end.

Week One’s card will be officially posted tomorrow evening, with all the usual things that entails.

EDIT: ROSTER PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH NEW AVATARS, STERLING SILVER'S BIO, AND ELIMINATING THE (PENDING) ON THE NEW ENTRANTS THIS SEASON.

Edited by ShadowedFlames
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: I will not be participating in the prediction game this season. I have a feeling most of my energy is going to be needed to keep The League afloat as we head into year two of The League's return to GDS. 😛

SEASON ELEVEN, WEEK ONE CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

(7) Brian Blackfield (0-0, OVR 561) vs. (1) George Mastachas (0-0, OVR 524) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(5) Mel O'Hallister (0-0, OVR 522) vs. (2) Nuclear Templeton (0-0, OVR 529) [Career: Mel O'Hallister, 3 - 1]

(4) Brandy McDonald (0-0, OVR 514) vs. (3) The Mastodon (0-0, OVR 517) [Career: Tied 3 - 3]

(6) De'siree Mitchell (0-0, OVR 496) vs. (8) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-0, OVR 516) [Career: First Career Meeting]

BETA DIVISION

(2) Yoshii Nakamatsu (0-0, OVR 509) vs. (7) Christian Priest (0-0, OVR 570) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(3) Billy Norris (0-0, OVR 507) vs. (6) Pulsar (0-0, OVR 479) [Career: Tied 1 - 1]

(1) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (8) Lucas Molina (0-0, OVR 473) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(4) Blood River (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (5) Angela Wassermann (0-0, OVR 476) [Career: Blood River, 3 - 1]

GAMMA DIVISION

(5) Markus Clay (0-0, OVR 477) vs. (6) Monty Dhillon (0-0, OVR 524) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(3) Diego Rodriguez (0-0, OVR 508) vs. (8) Kichi Hida (0-0, OVR 461) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(1) Big Scott Weathers (0-0, OVR 491) vs. (2) Indigo Rose (0-0, OVR 491) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(4) Terrance Stevens (0-0, OVR 483) vs. (7) Lance Heartilly (0-0, OVR 445) [Career: First Career Meeting]

DELTA DIVISION

(3) Scott Stevens (0-0, OVR 420) vs. (1) Diamond (0-0, OVR 478) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(2) Nocturne (0-0, OVR 429) vs. (4) George Stevens (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TABLES MATCH: (8) Rock Sheridan (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (5) Sterling Silver (0-0, OVR 446) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(7) Leon de Ramos (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (6) Mickey Steele (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

PREDICTION AND TRAINING/TP ALLOCATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 12, 2024, 11:59 PM EASTERN US.

Edited by ShadowedFlames
  • Like 2

At last, we begin again. Gentlemen (and lady), let's have some fun this season.

ALPHA DIVISION

(7) Brian Blackfield (0-0, OVR 561) vs. (1) George Mastachas (0-0, OVR 524) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Honestly all the Alpha matches this week are tone setters for the division, but this one is right at the top of the list. Juggernaut vs. Defending Champion. Get your popcorn ready. If this isn't the Main Event I'm shocked. And yes, I honestly don't think Blackfield can handle Mastachhas. The champ is bigger, stronger, has better stamina with Cardio Freak, and equivalent grappling skills. But still, this should be pretty good.

(5) Mel O'Hallister (0-0, OVR 522) vs. (2) Nuclear Templeton (0-0, OVR 529) [Career: Mel O'Hallister, 3 - 1]

Setting the tone for both men's seasons. Mel would like to forget his 2-5 second half while reasserting his dominance over someone he's had a lot of success against and Nuke would just like to start his championship chase off strong. I'mma go with Nuke, because I think he turned a corner last season and I don't know how anyone but Mastachas and maybe Mastodon/Blackfield stops him.

(4) Brandy McDonald (0-0, OVR 514) vs. (3) The Mastodon (0-0, OVR 517) [Career: Tied 3 - 3]

As tone setters go, this is probably the weakest. They've matched up before six times now. That said, it's similar to the above. Brandy wants to continue to be relevant in the division and Mastodon wants to be in the Championship chase from the start. Going Mastodon to start strong, but as the record shows this could go either way.

(6) De'siree Mitchell (0-0, OVR 496) vs. (8) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-0, OVR 516) [Career: First Career Meeting]

This one sets the tone for the basement o the division. If Ouilette can't beat or at least have a close showing here, he's in for a very, very long season. But if he can win, he has a shot at proving he's not quite the whipping boy I and everyone else expect him to be. I think Cecile makes the difference here.

BETA DIVISION

(2) Yoshii Nakamatsu (0-0, OVR 509) vs. (7) Christian Priest (0-0, OVR 570) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Tone setters here in Beta, too, as Nakamatsu gets a chance to prove he's nobody's whipping boy, despite what Blackfield did to him four straight times. Yoshii, bud, I like you, but no. Priest is on an absolute rampage since the start of last season, and you're just another speed bump.

(3) Billy Norris (0-0, OVR 507) vs. (6) Pulsar (0-0, OVR 479) [Career: Tied 1 - 1]

Eh, coinflip+superior stamina. High fliers are so erratic, man.

(1) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (8) Lucas Molina (0-0, OVR 473) [Career: First Career Meeting]

This is Beta's other tone setter this week. Gross, despite last season, was dominant in Beta in Season Nine. But I don't believe he's ever gone up against anyone who can go hold for hold with him. Outside of Tag Team Turmoil, anyone. Because this is a bit of a rematch from last season's final. So get your popcorn ready for this one too, as both men have something to prove. Win-wise, I'm just being a homer. Either could take it. #TechnicianSweepPart1

(4) Blood River (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (5) Angela Wassermann (0-0, OVR 476) [Career: Blood River, 3 - 1]

Look at the record. Speaks for itself.

GAMMA DIVISION

(5) Markus Clay (0-0, OVR 477) vs. (6) Monty Dhillon (0-0, OVR 524) [Career: First Career Meeting]

You can call this a tone setter if you want to it, I guess. Monty to debut outside of Delta with a dominant thumping of the division's whipping boy.

(3) Diego Rodriguez (0-0, OVR 508) vs. (8) Kichi Hida (0-0, OVR 461) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I want to be wrong, but I know I'm not. Both Molina and Heartilly took Kichi apart. Diego's technical skills just as good if not better than both men. I don't like it, but not even my homer leanings make me delusional. #TechnicianSweepPart2

(1) Big Scott Weathers (0-0, OVR 491) vs. (2) Indigo Rose (0-0, OVR 491) [Career: First Career Meeting]

#TechnicianSweepPart3

(4) Terrance Stevens (0-0, OVR 483) vs. (7) Lance Heartilly (0-0, OVR 445) [Career: First Career Meeting]

#TechnicianSweepPart4 (I don't know why I think of this last season. Dang it.)

DELTA DIVISION

Every match is a tone setter, because most of these guys haven't been on camera yet, and the two who have definitely have something to prove.

(3) Scott Stevens (0-0, OVR 420) vs. (1) Diamond (0-0, OVR 478) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I dunno, man. I just got a feelin'.

(2) Nocturne (0-0, OVR 429) vs. (4) George Stevens (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I'm a fan, young lady. You've had a season to improve. Show me what you're made of and tap the big man out.

TABLES MATCH: (8) Rock Sheridan (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (5) Sterling Silver (0-0, OVR 446) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I mean, he beat her before in Omega, right? Plus I'm a homer? :D

(7) Leon de Ramos (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (6) Mickey Steele (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

#TechnicianSweepPart5, anyone? No? Just me? Okay.

• Like 1

ALPHA DIVISION

Brian Blackfield

Nuclear Templeton

The Mastodon

Jean-Paul Ouilette

BETA DIVISION

Christian Priest

Billy Norris

Reverend Johnny Gross

Blood River

GAMMA DIVISION

Monty Dhillon

Diego Rodriguez

Indigo Rose

Terrance Stevens

DELTA DIVISION

Scott Stevens

George Stevens

Sterling Silver

Mickey Steele

• Like 1

Note that I haven't read anyone else's predictions yet...

ALPHA DIVISION

(7) Brian Blackfield (0-0, OVR 561) vs. (1) George Mastachas (0-0, OVR 524)

- The Juggernaut shocks the world by taking down the defending champion in his first Alpha match!

(5) Mel O'Hallister (0-0, OVR 522) vs. (2) Nuclear Templeton (0-0, OVR 529)

- Nuke is the top dog, and whatever edge O'Hallister had over him has passed.

(4) Brandy McDonald (0-0, OVR 514) vs. (3) The Mastodon (0-0, OVR 517)

- These two have split every season. This is the most pick'em match of the season.

(6) De'siree Mitchell (0-0, OVR 496) vs. (8) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-0, OVR 516)

- Week One, and already Mitchell is in a "must win" match. It's gonna be a long season for her.

BETA DIVISION

(2) Yoshii Nakamatsu (0-0, OVR 509) vs. (7) Christian Priest (0-0, OVR 570)

- New Division, Same Message.

(3) Billy Norris (0-0, OVR 507) vs. (6) Pulsar (0-0, OVR 479)

- Close call, but Norris is just a little better.

(1) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (8) Lucas Molina (0-0, OVR 473)

- Not sure on this one at all. Gross hasn't faced any pure technicians yet. That doesn't neccessarily mean he's going to have problems with them.

(4) Blood River (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (5) Angela Wassermann (0-0, OVR 476)

- Inconsisten? Meet Unreliable. I'm sure you'll get along wonderfully! That said, River's had the edge so far.

GAMMA DIVISION

(5) Markus Clay (0-0, OVR 477) vs. (6) Monty Dhillon (0-0, OVR 524)

- Gotta admit... fliers worry the hell out of me. They're so unpredictable.

(3) Diego Rodriguez (0-0, OVR 508) vs. (8) Kichi Hida (0-0, OVR 461)

- Hida has difficulty with technicians. Welcome to Gamma!

(1) Big Scott Weathers (0-0, OVR 491) vs. (2) Indigo Rose (0-0, OVR 491)

- Rose has something to prove this season, as well as a legitimate shot to promote. Weathers is here for a paycheck.

(4) Terrance Stevens (0-0, OVR 483) vs. (7) Lance Heartilly (0-0, OVR 445)

- Evil Canadian beats Good Canadian. Yay for By-Tor, I guess? (obscure reference)

DELTA DIVISION

(3) Scott Stevens (0-0, OVR 420) vs. (1) Diamond (0-0, OVR 478)

- Gonna go with experience on this pick.

(2) Nocturne (0-0, OVR 429) vs. (4) George Stevens (0-0, OVR 400)

- Again with experience.

TABLES MATCH: (8) Rock Sheridan (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (5) Sterling Silver (0-0, OVR 446)

- It kills me to pick against Silver, and against "experience", but how is she going to put a giant through a table?

(7) Leon de Ramos (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (6) Mickey Steele (0-0, OVR 400)

- Gotta support my boy, even though history and all intelligent analysis says de Ramos takes it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Croquemitaine said:

It kills me to pick against Silver, and against "experience", but how is she going to put a giant through a table?

With her 450 splash finisher? #JustSaying

Edit:

If this isn't the Main Event I'm shocked.

I’ll confirm right now that this (Mastachas/Blackfield) is the main. Priest is in the semi-main due to his OVR rating.

I’m through roughly half the card. I think there’s only one or two PCs I might be missing stuff for, but this is me trying to think at work, never a good idea.

Clubhouse leader for MOTN at this point? Just a 4* match somewhere in the lower half of The League.

Edited by ShadowedFlames

It's strange seeing so many people call Mastachas the champion when the REAL champion is Nuclear Templeton, who not only beat Mastachas but also has beaten everyone else in the division in their last encounter.  The REAL champion has hired some consultants to help you all understand this fact, please meet with your nearest sharp dressed man if you are unclear on any of these facts 😛 

ALPHA DIVISION

(5) Mel O'Hallister (0-0, OVR 522) vs. (2) Nuclear Templeton (0-0, OVR 529) [Career: Mel O'Hallister, 3 - 1]

BETA DIVISION

(2) Yoshii Nakamatsu (0-0, OVR 509) vs. (7) Christian Priest (0-0, OVR 570) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(1) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-0, OVR 501) vs. (8) Lucas Molina (0-0, OVR 473) [Career: First Career Meeting]

GAMMA DIVISION

(5) Markus Clay (0-0, OVR 477) vs. (6) Monty Dhillon (0-0, OVR 524) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(3) Diego Rodriguez (0-0, OVR 508) vs. (8) Kichi Hida (0-0, OVR 461) [Career: First Career Meeting]

DELTA DIVISION

(3) Scott Stevens (0-0, OVR 420) vs. (1) Diamond (0-0, OVR 478) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(2) Nocturne (0-0, OVR 429) vs. (4) George Stevens (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TABLES MATCH: (8) Rock Sheridan (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (5) Sterling Silver (0-0, OVR 446) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(7) Leon de Ramos (0-0, OVR 400) vs. (6) Mickey Steele (0-0, OVR 400) [Career: First Career Meeting]

PREDICTION AND TRAINING/TP ALLOCATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 12, 2024, 11:59 PM EASTERN US.

• Like 1

So, a heads-up to folks. I am intending to debut an “experimental” addition to the actual shows.

As mentioned upthread in an in-character piece, I’ve been toying with implementing ELO ratings a la chess, and I believe I’ve gotten them to a point where I’m satisfied with the results and how they’re going to show up.

I'm actually running two types: The first is an “official” score that’s updated every half season of main roster competition and after every Omega “season”. Each division has its own factors and by and large, the values seem to work out to where they should be. (Using that, for instance, would lead me to predict that Nuclear wins the League Championship via tiebreaker over Blackfield, as in the opening half of the season each are projected to 4.95 wins out of 7. Extrapolate that, it becomes a 10-4 record for each.) The official ELO also takes Omega Division bouts into effect.

What I plan to use in the shows is an estimated win percentage based on ELO ratings updated weekly. This weekly set up does not account for Omega Division bouts, strictly the main roster. The idea is to give viewers watching on YouTube a more sports-like experience, with “real-time” power rankings and the like. (I mean…if the XFL can blatantly show Over/Under lines, betting favorites and the like on their broadcasts, surely The League can do similar without actually invoking gambling, right?)

I’m keeping the actual factors a trade secret, but in the interest of trying something slightly different in the presentation for a season, I thought this might be an interesting quirk to add in.

Before anyone asks: no. I’m not displaying that before the show because I do not want to be accused of  influencing predictions because of them. 😝

• Like 2

ALPHA DIVISION

George Mastachas

Mel O'Hallister

The Mastodon

Jean-Paul Ouilette

BETA DIVISION

Christian Priest

Billy Norris

Reverend Johnny Gross

Blood River

GAMMA DIVISION

Monty Dhillon

Diego Rodriguez

Indigo Rose

Terrance Stevens

DELTA DIVISION

Diamond

George Stevens

Rock Sheridan

Leon de Ramos

THE LEAGUE: SEASON ELEVEN, WEEK ONE

DELTA DIVISION

(Favorite: Even)

zBWrwLg.jpg (7) Leon de Ramos (0-0, OVR 400)

vs.

(6) Mickey Steele (0-0, OVR 400) vC6SXqZ.jpg OndApuF.jpg

Bob Sinclair: You’ve waited two months, League fans and now, just barely into the new year, The League returns for its eleventh season!  Good evening everyone! Bob Sinclair here at the announcer’s desk, alongside Frankie Garnett. Frankie, happy new year, how were your holidays?

Frankie Garnett: Honestly, Bob, the slower change of pace for a couple of months was welcome. Time to unwind and take care of some other pressing business. But that was then, and we’re back for another season!

Bob Sinclair: Indeed, and as is usual we start in the Delta Division, with two of our newcomers squaring off in the opening match of the night. A slight clash of styles here, as Leon de Ramos reminds me of a slightly smaller Diego Rodriguez. A solid technical grappler from what we saw in the Omega Division, and someone who I think may end up pulling Lance Heartilly kinds of numbers in this division.

Frankie Garnett: And then on the other side, Mickey Steele. Clearly more of a character than a true brawler, and he comes with a wildcard at ringside in the form of Roxy Rose. Steele gives me Jean-Paul Ouilette vibes, Bob, and we all see where Ouilette is competing this season.

Bob Sinclair: Their match in Omega was a fairly decent one, even if it wasn’t recorded for posterity, but now they get to make their initial marks in The League’s record books. The bell sounds, and Season Eleven is officially under way!

Frankie Garnett: All right, let’s get after it!

(00:07) Leon hit a Single Leg Trip

(00:14) Leon hit a Knee Pull

(00:28) Leon applied a Western Spinning Toe Hold

(00:35) Steele got a rope break to stop a Knee Pull

(00:38) Leon hit a Punch

(00:55) Leon applied a Kneeling Cravate

(01:15) Steele broke a Seated Face Plant

(01:22) Steele hit a Running Clothesline

(01:26) Steele hit a Knee Drop

(01:30) Steele hit a Stomp

(01:34) Steele hit a Legdrop

(01:41) Steele hit a Seated Dropkick

(01:48) Leon De Ramos moved out of the way from a Half Senton.

(01:56) Steele got a rope break to stop a Boston Crab

(02:01) Steele broke a Kneeling Jaw Breaker

(02:08) Leon countered a Running Knee Lift with a Monkey Flip

(02:34) Leon applied a Raised Bow And Arrow Lock

(03:05) Leon hit a Swinging Neckbreaker

(03:09) Leon hit a Leaping Elbow Drop

(03:16) Steele got a rope break to stop a Knee Pull

(03:32) Leon hit a Swinging Neckbreaker

(03:36) Steele blocked a Stump Puller

(03:41) Steele broke a Stump Puller

(03:45) Steele hit a Slap To Chest

(03:48) Steele hit a Bell Clap

(03:52) Steele hit a Slap To Chest

(03:56) Steele hit a Kick To Thigh

(04:00) Leon blocked a Thrust Kick

(04:04) Leon blocked a Thrust Kick To Corner

(04:08) Steele broke a Spinning Arm Breaker

(04:15) Steele hit a Running Dropkick

Frankie Garnett: All right, Bob, I can see your comparison of de Ramos to Rodriguez earlier. Definitely cut from the same cloth, I think, plus they’re practically neighbors on the world stage.

Bob Sinclair: de Ramos may have the opening moments in his favor, but Steele has not backed down at all. That running dropkick landed flush, after all. Fairly even bout so far as we get out of the opening minutes.

(04:28) Steele hit a Running Half Senton

(04:35) Leon avoided a Stomp Flurry.

(04:44) Leon hit a Standing Head Scissors Twist

(04:55) Leon hit a Marvelocity

(04:59) Leon hit a Running Knee Drop

(05:07) Steele got a rope break to stop a Heel Hook Leg Grapevine

(05:11) Steele broke a Single Arm DDT

(05:14) Steele hit a Bell Clap

(05:18) Leon countered a Roundhouse Body Punch with a Slap To Chest

(05:23) Steele slipped out the front of a Screw Legwhip

(05:27) Steele hit a Thrust Kick

(05:37) Leon De Ramos moved out of the way from a Leaping Elbow Drop.

(05:45) Mickey Steele very easily moved out of the way from a Running Knee Drop.

(05:49) Steele hit a Leaping Elbow Drop

(05:59) Steele picked up Leon

(06:06) Steele hit a Mafia Kick

(06:18) Steele hit a Kneeling Kick Rush

(06:32) Steele used a Get Up Taunt

(06:39) Leon avoided a Running Knee Strike after both wrestlers failed in their attacks.

(06:47) Leon applied a Hammerlock

(06:52) Steele broke a Standing Arm Bar

(07:00) Leon avoided a Mafia Kick.

(07:14) Leon applied a Front Facelock

Bob Sinclair: de Ramos doing the smart thing here and slowing things down. Kind of needs time to gather his wits after the running kick from Steele nearly took his head off.

Frankie Garnett: I’m just surprised he didn’t use that…Marvelocity, was it? Just what is that, anyway?

Bob Sinclair: He calls it a Spanish fly armdrag. It looks to me to me akin to a Japanese-style armdrag, but de Ramos gets a little more rotation to it.

Frankie Garnett: Hmmm. Gotta admit, that’s a new one on me, Bob.

(07:21) Leon hit a Side Headlock Takedown

(07:28) Steele very easily avoided a Stomp.

(07:35) Leon avoided a Steele Scissor after both wrestlers failed in their attacks.

(07:49) Leon applied a Cravate

(08:03) Leon applied a Front Facelock

(08:07) Steele broke a De Saca Rolhas

(08:11) Leon blocked a DDT

(08:17) Steele hit a Roundhouse Punch

(08:24) Leon countered a Mickey Finn with a Single Leg Trip

(08:38) Leon applied an Arm Bar

(08:52) Leon applied a Single Leg Grapevine

(09:19) Leon hit a Swinging Neckbreaker

(09:39) Leon applied a Straightjacket Surfboard

(09:56) Steele broke a Lisbon Prayer

(10:10) Steele hit a Running Knee Strike

(10:18) Leon avoided a Kneeling Kick Rush.

(10:28) Leon hit a Running Swinging Neckbreaker

(10:38) Leon picked up Steele

(10:48) Steele got a rope break to stop an Iberian Twist

(10:52) Steele blocked a Knee Plant

(11:03) Leon hit a Marvelocity

(11:23) Leon applied a Camel Clutch

(11:38) Leon got a near submission

(11:43) Steele blocked an Iberian Twist

(11:48) Steele blocked a De Saca Rolhas

Frankie Garnett: Mickey Steele’s still in this, but I’m not sure how much longer he can wriggle out of it on defense!

Bob Sinclair: Yeah, Frankie. De Ramos is nothing if not relentless, and eventually one of those finishers is going to land!

(12:00) Steele hit a Triple Kick Combo

(12:13) Steele hit a Running Senton

(12:21) Steele picked up Leon

(12:29) Leon avoided a Mickey Finn after both wrestlers failed in their attacks.

(12:33) Steele broke an Iberian Twist

(12:39) Steele hit a Roundhouse Punch

(12:44) Leon broke a DDT

(13:00) Leon hit a Swinging Neckbreaker

(13:10) Leon picked up Steele

(13:36) Leon applied an Iberian Twist

Bob Sinclair: Submission hold, locked in tight, and de Ramos placed himself between Steele and the ropes! Good ring positioning by the young man from Lisbon!

Frankie Garnett: Steele’s either got to go through Leon to get to the ropes or back into them with his feet…no, too late, there’s the tap out! Leon de Ramos wins his debut in what has to be the best opening match to a season we’ve had in The League to date, Bob!

Bob Sinclair: I think you’re right on that one, Frankie. If this is what we can expect from our crop of Omega Division graduates this season, the Delta Division is going to be very competitive over the next four months!

Leon de Ramos (1-0) def. Mickey Steele (0-1) via Submission (Iberian Twist) in 13:45.  Rating: ****

Changes for Leon de Ramos:  OVR + 6.15, XP + 667.70, minor damage to head

Changes for Mickey Steele:  OVR + 2.07, XP + 241.93, minor damage to head

This was the Match of the Night (1 [1 this season] for Leon de Ramos, 1 [1 this season] for Mickey Steele)

ADDITIONAL NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: It was here that I realized I never put in blurbs for Leon de Ramos' signature/finisher moves as he's been in the database since about a quarter of the way through Season Ten, and I must have gotten distracted when I was putting the moves in. I will remedy that this week in case Leon pulls a Christian Priest and starts getting MOTN's nearly every week.

DELTA DIVISION

(Favorite: Nocturne, 50.16%)

BEVGy0x.jpg (2) Nocturne (0-0, OVR 429)

vs.

(4) George Stevens (0-0, OVR 400) UOpfoyB.jpg fTtB0pK.jpg

Nocturne’s second-season opener went far better than her first. It was a close bout, and a staple of wrestling—the large man against a faster, smaller opponent—and in this instance speed beat size. Stevens had trouble keeping hold of Nocturne, who looked to be in much better form given a season of League experience, and the smaller wrestler prevailed after slipping out of a gorilla press slam and managing to lock in the scissored ankle lock. George Stevens’s League debut did not go the way he would have wanted, as Nocturne picks up the duke here.

Nocturne (1-0) def. George Stevens (0-1) via Submission (Midnight Solstice) in 9:08.  Rating: **

Changes for Nocturne:  OVR + 3.46, XP + 484.38, no notable damage

Changes for George Stevens:  OVR + 0.39, XP + 121.10, minor damage to head

DELTA DIVISION TABLES MATCH

(Favorite: Sterling Silver, 55.38%)

5vWV1hg.jpg (8) Rock Sheridan (0-0, OVR 400)

vs.

(5) Sterling Silver (0-0, OVR 446) Nks15x0.jpg

The Delta Division continues its run of good matches to start the season, as this was a sleeper pick for Match of the Night candidacy. Silver knew she was at a disadvantage in this match—it was going to be nigh impossible to lift and drive her opponent through a table, whereas Sheridan had no such hindrance—but even that knowledge was not enough for the veteran to overcome. Seven minutes in, Sheridan sent Silver to ringside, followed her out and drilled her with a Grit City Lariat. The impact stunned Silver enough that a follow-up DDT through a half-erected table was enough to end the proceedings. Sheridan wins his main roster debut, already showing that he may be a better giant in The League than Otto von Schwarz was.

Rock Sheridan (1-0) def. Sterling Silver (0-1) via Table Break (DDT) in 8:39.  Rating: ***

Changes for Rock Sheridan:  OVR + 4.69, XP + 524.50, no notable damage

Changes for Sterling Silver:  OVR + 1.38, XP + 131.12, minor damage to head

DELTA DIVISION

(Favorite: Diamond, 57.34%)

fTtB0pK.jpg fYy1oxq.jpg (3) Scott Stevens (0-0, OVR 420)

vs.

(1) Diamond (0-0, OVR 478) 0rDaDU8.jpg

The last match of the Delta Division schedule was another Match of the Night candidate, and this one was personal before the bell even rang. There is a long history between Diamond and Scott Stevens, and the trash talking had begun as soon as Diamond stepped out of the locker room. Once the bell rang, words quickly turned to fisticuffs as neither competitor backed down. Stevens had Diamond in trouble early, hitting her with a Toxic Sting but only netting two on the exchange. He was unable to connect with the piledriver, though, allowing Diamond back into the match. A Jawjacker netted two, and led into a Florentine that Stevens somehow managed to find a way out of. (Behind-the-curtain chat: 903 to win, Stevens rolls a 920 to break free.) A 24 Karat Kiss was attempted, failed, and got turned into a second Toxic Sting from Stevens, and this one found the full three as Diamond couldn’t get a shoulder up in time. The author was expecting this to possibly be another four-star match, but Maven Deltzer in his “infinite” wisdom decreed otherwise.

Scott Stevens (1-0) def. Diamond (0-1) via Pinfall (Toxic Sting) in 13:19.  Rating: ***

Changes for Scott Stevens:  OVR + 4.89, XP + 526.92, minor damage to head

Changes for Diamond:  OVR + 1.23, XP + 131.73, minor damage to head

GAMMA DIVISION

(Favorite: Lance Heartilly, 55.34%)

6r4P9L8.jpg (4) Terrance Stevens (0-0, OVR 483)

vs.

(7) Lance Heartilly (0-0, OVR 445) 9q89H6M.jpg

This clash between partners in last season’s Tag Team Turmoil was a match that more than a few were looking forward to this season. Especially League fans based in the Great White North who had been told for decades that technical wrestling was the true backbone of Canadian wrestling greatness. In the opening minutes, it seemed like Heartilly was going to enforce his will on Stevens, who had trouble getting out of the starting blocks. However, Terrance would fight his way back into things, forcing Heartilly to break his gameplan long enough to hit a low blow on Stevens. Undeterred, Stevens would fight back a little more, but when Heartilly countered a roundhouse right to the body into a Heartilly Arm Breaker, that was too much for Stevens. Lance wins the first round between these two, and in typical Lance Heartilly fashion, he does it by way of submission.

Lance Heartilly (1-0) def. Terrance Stevens (0-1) via Submission (Heartilly Arm Breaker) in 10:02.  Rating: **

Changes for Lance Heartilly:  OVR + 3.50, XP + 557.54, no notable damage

Changes for Terrance Stevens:  OVR + 0.40, XP + 139.38, no notable damage

GAMMA DIVISION

(Favorite: Diego Rodriguez, 58.22%)

G4sbiHU.jpg (3) Diego Rodriguez (0-0, OVR 508)

vs.

(8) Kichi Hida (0-0, OVR 461) 4ZAKk1I.jpg

One would almost forgive Kichi if she was a little overwhelmed at the moment. After all, just a month ago she was expecting to be the undisputed queen of the Delta Division, and then suddenly found herself promoted to Gamma from a third-place position. Not to mention a rule set that isn’t to her usual strengths to finish matches in a sprint. Kichi then decided to make a mockery of the situation, dismantling Rodriguez in a bout that wasn’t very entertaining despite some competition. In the end, Hida wouldn’t need one of her fancy finishing strikes to end the match. Just a straight punch to the groin.

Kichi Hida (1-0) def. Diego Rodriguez (0-1) via Pinfall (low blow) in 6:33.  Rating: *

Changes for Kichi Hida:  OVR + 2.22, XP + 509.31, no notable damage

Changes for Diego Rodriguez:  OVR -0.37, XP + 127.33, no notable damage

BETA DIVISION

(Favorite: Reverend Johnny Gross, 55.10%)

d7FEgH5.jpg (1) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-0, OVR 501)

vs.

(8) Lucas Molina (0-0, OVR 473) LG3TCXf.jpg

Longest match of the night so far in this one, which was also a Match of the Night contender. Molina seemed a little thrown off in the opening minutes, as he weathered the storm that Gross was throwing out. However, Molina’s not a technical and patient wrestler for no reason, and slowly he fought his way back into the match, avoiding a couple of Gross’ patented chop blocks and applying his Molina Heel Hook on at least three occasions. After the third one, Gross could be seen limping a little, and that was all Molina needed to see to get a second wind. It took him less than a minute to apply the Molina Bodylock, and Gross eventually had to tap out. Lucas Molina wins his Beta Division debut in a very good match, and may have just made a statement with that opening match!

Lucas Molina (1-0) def. Reverend Johnny Gross (0-1) via Submission (Molina Bodylock) in 18:47.  Rating: ***

Changes for Lucas Molina:  OVR + 5.25, XP + 688.70, minor damage to head

Changes for Reverend Johnny Gross:  OVR + 1.33, XP + 172.17, minor damage to head and legs

BETA DIVISION

(Favorite: Blood River, 58.59%)

VZFWcYa.jpg hAfQcot.jpg (4) Blood River (0-0, OVR 501)

vs.

(5) Angela Wassermann (0-0, OVR 476) aOXlwtV.jpg

Wassermann controlled the majority of this contest, and even had River in range of her cross arm breaker hold. However, she neglected to account for River’s speed, and that’s what did her in at the end. A flurry of blows followed up by a springboard legdrop were enough to keep the German down for the count of three, and River pulls a victory from the jaws of defeat to open Season Eleven!

Blood River (1-0) def. Angela Wassermann (0-1) via Pinfall (springboard legdrop) in 10:39.  Rating: **

Changes for Blood River:  OVR + 3.53, XP + 630.65, no notable damage

Changes for Angela Wassermann:  OVR + 0.40, XP + 157.66, minor damage to head

GAMMA DIVISION

(Favorite: Indigo Rose, 57.30%)

OOiJTFx.jpg (1) Big Scott Weathers (0-0, OVR 491)

vs.

(2) Indigo Rose (0-0, OVR 491) 2X2r9qf.jpg

A rather underwhelming match given the first half of the card, Weathers took an early lead, nearly choked it away, and finally got his act together after avoiding Blood from a Rose. Rose had the Blackout well scouted, but not the sleeper hold—ironic, for a technical wrestler—and Weathers uses his size to propel him to victory despite sucking heavy wind at the end of the contest.

Big Scott Weathers (1-0) def. Indigo Rose (0-1) via Submission (Welcome to Dreamland) in 14:18.  Rating: **

Changes for Big Scott Weathers:  OVR + 3.72, XP + 559.89, no notable damage

Changes for Indigo Rose:  OVR + 0.42, XP + 139.97, minor damage to head

BETA DIVISION

(Favorite: Billy Norris, 64.05%)

6fYIC71.jpg (3) Billy Norris (0-0, OVR 507)

vs.

(6) Pulsar (0-0, OVR 479) VfA2MW8.jpg

A short Match of the Night contender, this was more even than the author expected. Pulsar was behind after two minutes, ahead after five, then behind again at eight minutes. It seemed like the seesaw would continue for another ten minutes or so, especially after Norris countered a springboard guillotina with a spear (that only got a one count, mind). But after Pulsar stopped a pop-up top rope arm drag and landed a top rope bulldog, that stunned Norris long enough for a springboard senton to do the deed. Pulsar scores an upset, according to official League Statistician Amelia Hall, though many fans saw this one going either way due to the nature of high-fliers in The League in the past three seasons.

Pulsar (1-0) def. Billy Norris (0-1) via Pinfall (springboard senton bomb) in 10:40.  Rating: ***

Changes for Pulsar:  OVR + 4.71, XP + 683.21, minor damage to head

Changes for Billy Norris:  OVR + 1.19, XP + 170.80, minor damage to head and body

GAMMA DIVISION

(Favorite: Monty Dhillon, 68.51%)

N0Y594C.jpg (5) Markus Clay (0-0, OVR 477)

vs.

(6) Monty Dhillon (0-0, OVR 524) vz0qqDp.jpg

This wasn’t a very competitive match. Clay did his best to stay in it, but Dhillon was simply too powerful. It didn’t even take a finisher to end things here, just a simple Livewire Lariat to put Clay down for three on the first pin attempt of the match. Dhillon puts together an impressive Gamma Division debut in eight minutes flat.

Monty Dhillon (1-0) def. Markus Clay (0-1) via Pinfall (Livewire Lariat) in 8:00.  Rating: **

Changes for Monty Dhillon:  OVR + 3.40, XP + 556.42, no notable damage

Changes for Markus Clay:  OVR + 0.39, XP + 139.10, no notable damage

ALPHA DIVISION

(Favorite: Jean-Paul Ouilette, 59.62%)

T7PlxOP.jpg (6) De'siree Mitchell (0-0, OVR 496)

vs.

(8) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-0, OVR 516) p1IFTGG.jpg hYlEAC2.jpg

We finally get to some Alpha Division action, as one of last season’s promoted wrestlers makes their top flight debut…and promptly seemed to forget how to wrestle. Ouilette didn’t even get any sustained offense in until seven minutes into the match. By then it was already far too late, as Mitchell simply reasserted herself and needed only one shot at the All Out Blitz to put Ouilette down for three. The Frenchman debuts in the Alpha Division with a whimper, as Mitchell wins a bout many on The League’s fan forums expected her to lose.

De'siree Mitchell (1-0) def. Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-1) via Pinfall (All Out Blitz) in 11:12.  Rating: **

Changes for De'siree Mitchell:  OVR + 3.56, XP + 728.06, no notable damage

Changes for Jean-Paul Ouilette:  OVR + 0.40, XP + 182.02, minor damage to head

ALPHA DIVISION

(Favorite: The Mastodon, 54.52%)

gGexPKo.jpg (4) Brandy McDonald (0-0, OVR 514)

vs.

(3) The Mastodon (0-0, OVR 517) NSa1kkC.jpg

This nearly was the Match of the Night, and may have gotten the nod if it had run another two minutes or so. Mastodon held the advantage for most of the early portion of the match, battering McDonald so that she was looking rather haggard some eight minutes in. Brandy isn’t a former League Champion for nothing, though, and clawed her way back into the contest, using her speed to frustrate Mastodon. His size, however, made it difficult for her to keep him down long enough for her bulldog choke finisher, and in desperation she landed a Brandy with a Twist.

By the by, folks, have you forgotten that Mastodon also has an adrenaline rush? It must have slipped McDonald’s mind, as Mastodon was back on his feet almost instantly on impact. It only took him ninety seconds from that point to lambaste McDonald with a Rampage, and three seconds later Mastodon walks away with a victory that he had to fight for in what was a more physical match than many expected!

The Mastodon (1-0) def. Brandy McDonald (0-1) via Pinfall (Rampage) in 17:39.  Rating: ***

Changes for The Mastodon:  OVR + 5.18, XP + 793.77, moderate damage to head

Changes for Brandy McDonald:  OVR + 1.31, XP + 198.44, moderate damage to head, minor damage to body

ALPHA DIVISION

(Favorite: Nuclear Templeton, 79.60%)

wSRPoAi.jpg (5) Mel O'Hallister (0-0, OVR 522)

vs.

(2) Nuclear Templeton (0-0, OVR 529) FqeSGy6.jpg

O’Hallister came in to this match with a 3-1 career record against Nuclear. Yet the fan forums seemed to think Nuclear was going to win this one overwhelmingly, citing the tiebreaker loss to Mastachas for the Championship last season. Templeton then proceeded to dominate the majority of this contest. O’Hallister got a few shots in and at least dragged it out of squash territory, but there was no denying that Templeton was on another level on this night. The silent, menacing presence of a sharp-dressed Italian man in Nuclear’s corner at ringside also seemed to throw O’Hallister off, though this gentleman did nothing at all during the match. It took Nuclear a few tries to finally lock in a Radiation Leak, and the submission happened almost immediately after.

Nuclear Templeton (1-0) def. Mel O'Hallister (0-1) via Submission (Radiation Leak) in 16:01.  Rating: **

Changes for Nuclear Templeton:  OVR + 3.80, XP + 731.53, minor damage to head

Changes for Mel O'Hallister:  OVR + 0.43, XP + 182.88, minor damage to head and body

BETA DIVISION

(Favorite: Christian Priest, 59.62%)

xHVnvxD.jpg (2) Yoshii Nakamatsu (0-0, OVR 509)

vs.

(7) Christian Priest (0-0, OVR 570) YICOeYe.jpg MZ2VDcB.jpg

The semi-main started with Nakamatsu looking more focused and determined than many had seen him in a long, long time. His tenacity seemed to surprise Priest, whom many thought was going to cruise to victory in his Beta Division debut. By eight minutes in, Nakamatsu had Priest reeling and nearly in range of an Emperor’s Fall. Priest fought back, spurred on at ringside by the words of Pastor Richards, but even words could only push Priest so far. Nakamatsu was too much on this night, and on the second attempt, the Emperor’s Fall connected and Nakamatsu walks away with what many, including the author, see as an upset! After the show, some pundits thought Priest rested a little too much on his laurels after the last two seasons, and Yoshii caught him napping at the right time.

Yoshii Nakamatsu (1-0) def. Christian Priest (0-1) via Pinfall (Emperor’s Fall) in 12:34.  Rating: **

Changes for Yoshii Nakamatsu:  OVR + 3.63, XP + 631.84, no notable damage

Changes for Christian Priest:  OVR + 0.41, XP + 157.96, moderate damage to head

ALPHA DIVISION

(Favorite: Brian Blackfield, 62.84%)

Lp89uMT.jpg (7) Brian Blackfield (0-0, OVR 561)

vs.

(1) George Mastachas (0-0, OVR 524) FXyrc6C.jpg

And now, the main event. What a draw for both men in the opening week—the reigning and defending League Champion against the single most dominant wrestler in the lower divisions over the last three seasons. A camera backstage caught a shot of literally everyone else in the locker room crowded around a large monitor to watch this match.

It certainly delivered, too, as it was a contender for Match of the Night. Back and forth throughout, with Mastachas taking an early advantage before giving it back to Blackfield. Blackfield would cede the advantage back to Mastachas, and this repeated a couple more time before the twelve-minute mark had passed. It was Mastachas who went for a signature move first, hitting Olympus Rises but only getting a one count from the move. A minute or so later, Blackfield landed the Tartan Effect, only to see Mastachas kick out at the literal last moment. (In game terms—Mastachas’s OVR is too high to lose to a move with only a 200 win chance, like the Tartan Effect. This also triggered a thought for the author that may be relevant in the next offseason, as he needs to play with some tables and thoughts regarding High-level signature moves.) Mastachas was actually the first to be at risk for a finisher, as despite his size he could still be caught in the Highland’s Wrath. Mastachas broke the attempt from Blackfield, spun on his heels, and promptly went low on The Juggernaut. Despite the referee’s admonishments, Mastachas scrambled into a cover, and Blackfield kicked out a split second too late. Many say that Mastachas stole an upset win in the season’s first main event, but in the record books it will show that George Mastachas handed Brian Blackfield the fourth-ever singles defeat in The Juggernaut’s League career, and only the second via pinfall! (Fun fact: Blackfield has yet to lose to a wrestler’s actual finisher. A forced submission (Erick Gibson, S9W5), a heel hook grapevine (Diego Rodriguez, S9W10), and a springboard legdrop (Blood River, S10W8) are the catalysts for The Juggernaut’s previous losses.)

George Mastachas (1-0) def. Brian Blackfield (0-1) via Pinfall (low blow) in 18:17.  Rating: ***

Changes for George Mastachas:  OVR + 5.22, XP + 794.26, minor damage to head

Changes for Brian Blackfield:  OVR + 1.32, XP + 198.57, minor damage to head

/\/\/\/\/\/\

STANDINGS AFTER SEASON ELEVEN, WEEK ONE

ALPHA DIVISION

1.  De'siree Mitchell:  1-0, ATV 11:12, (AMR 2.000), OVR 499.90

2.  Nuclear Templeton:  1-0, ATV 16:01, (AMR 2.000), OVR 532.78

3.  The Mastodon:  1-0, ATV 17:39, (AMR 3.000), OVR 522.46

4.  George Mastachas:  1-0, ATV 18:17, (AMR 3.000), OVR 528.89

5.  Brandy McDonald:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 3.000), OVR 515.16

5.  Brian Blackfield:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 3.000), OVR 562.47

7.  Mel O'Hallister:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 522.00

7.  Jean-Paul Ouilette:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 516.09

BETA DIVISION

1.  Blood River:  1-0, ATV 10:39 (AMR 2.000), OVR 504.46

2.  Pulsar:  1-0, ATV 10:40 (AMR 3.000), OVR 484.01

3.  Yoshii Nakamatsu:  1-0, ATV 12:34 (AMR 2.000), OVR 513.05

4.  Lucas Molina:  1-0, ATV 18:47 (AMR 3.000), OVR 478.37

5.  Reverend Johnny Gross:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 3.000), OVR 502.47

5.  Billy Norris:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 3.000), OVR 508.67

7.  Angela Wassermann:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 2.000), OVR 476.21

7.  Christian Priest:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 2.000), OVR 570.31

GAMMA DIVISION

1.  Kichi Hida:  1-0, ATV 6:33, (AMR 1.000), OVR 463.67

2.  Monty Dhillon:  1-0, ATV 8:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 527.19

3.  Lance Heartilly:  1-0, ATV 10:02, (AMR 2.000), OVR 448.80

4.  Big Scott Weathers:  1-0, ATV 14:18, (AMR 2.000), OVR 494.25

5.  Indigo Rose:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 491.73

5.  Terrance Stevens:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 483.48

5.  Markus Clay:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 2.000), OVR 477.21

8.  Diego Rodriguez:  0-1, ATV 0:00, (AMR 1.000), OVR 508.10

DELTA DIVISION

1.  Rock Sheridan:  1-0, ATV 8:39 (AMR 3.000), OVR 404.69

2.  Nocturne:  1-0, ATV 9:08 (AMR 2.000), OVR 432.49

3.  Scott Stevens:  1-0, ATV 13:19 (AMR 3.000), OVR 425.10

4.  Leon de Ramos:  1-0, ATV 13:45 (AMR 4.000), OVR 406.15

5.  Mickey Steele:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 4.000), OVR 402.07

6.  Diamond:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 3.000), OVR 479.08

6.  Sterling Silver:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 3.000), OVR 447.45

8.  George Stevens:  0-1, ATV 0:00 (AMR 2.000), OVR 400.39

PREDICTION STANDINGS

(Reminder: The official scores will have the lowest two weeks dropped at the end of the season.)

1. Eternal Phoenix: 11

2. Croquemitaine: 8

3. SeanMcG: 6

4. Jman2k3: 5

5. Derek B: 4

WEEK TWO CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

(5) Brian Blackfield (0-1, OVR 562) vs. (1) De'siree Mitchell (1-0, OVR 500) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(3) The Mastodon (1-0, OVR 522) vs. (4) George Mastachas (1-0, OVR 529) [Career: George Mastachas, 5 - 1]

(2) Nuclear Templeton (1-0, OVR 533) vs. (5) Brandy McDonald (0-1, OVR 515) [Career: Tied 3 - 3]

(7) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-1, OVR 516) vs. (7) Mel O'Hallister (0-1, OVR 522) [Career: Tied 1 - 1]

BETA DIVISION

(7) Christian Priest (0-1, OVR 570) vs. (7) Angela Wassermann (0-1, OVR 476) [Career: First Career Meeting]

HARDCORE MATCH: (3) Yoshii Nakamatsu (1-0, OVR 513) vs. (5) Billy Norris (0-1, OVR 509) [Career: Billy Norris, 2 - 0]

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: (4) Lucas Molina (1-0, OVR 478) vs. (1) Blood River (1-0, OVR 504) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(5) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-1, OVR 502) vs. (2) Pulsar (1-0, OVR 484) [Career: Reverend Johnny Gross, 2 - 0]

GAMMA DIVISION

(4) Big Scott Weathers (1-0, OVR 494) vs. (2) Monty Dhillon (1-0, OVR 527) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(5) Indigo Rose (0-1, OVR 492) vs. (8) Diego Rodriguez (0-1, OVR 508) [Career: Tied 2 - 2]

(1) Kichi Hida (1-0, OVR 464) vs. (5) Terrance Stevens (0-1, OVR 483) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(3) Lance Heartilly (1-0, OVR 449) vs. (5) Markus Clay (0-1, OVR 477) [Career: First Career Meeting]

DELTA DIVISION

(6) Sterling Silver (0-1, OVR 447) vs. (6) Diamond (0-1, OVR 479) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(2) Nocturne (1-0, OVR 432) vs. (1) Rock Sheridan (1-0, OVR 405) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TABLES MATCH: (3) Scott Stevens (1-0, OVR 425) vs. (4) Leon de Ramos (1-0, OVR 406) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(8) George Stevens (0-1, OVR 400) vs. (5) Mickey Steele (0-1, OVR 402) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TRAINING AND PREDICTION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2024 AT 11:59 PM EASTERN US!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Week 1 Quick Thoughts

Leon de Ramos def. Mickey Steele
Hey, congrats on the match of the night, you two. If memory serves, that’s the first time the leadoff was MOTN. Well done. Also, Leon showing early signs of being a force in the division.

Nocturne def. George Stevens
As expected, she took care of business.

Rock Sheridan def. Sterling Silver
Minor upset here by the numbers, but I believed in Rock. Looking forward to how your season goes, bud.

Scott Stevens def. Diamond
Diamond always seems to find a way to lose when she needs to win and win when she has no business doing it. This was more of the same. New division, arguably the most experienced in it, lost her debut. It is what it is with her at this point. But credit to Stevens for getting the job done. Escaping a finishing submission is not something just anyone can do.

Lance Heartilly def. Terrance Stevens
Heartilly still in fine form, and Stevens the Spoiler may be on the verge of losing that sobriquet.

Kichi Hida def. Diego Rodriguez
My personal upset of the show. The one time I don’t believe in her, and I’m wrong. Kichi, what are you doing this year?

Lucas Molina def. Reverend Johnny Gross
Gross meets his first technician test, and is found wanting. How both will respond to this match ought to be interesting to see.

Blood River def. Angela Wasserman
Wasserman chokes another away. Almost want to nickname her “The Choker”, but it doesn’t quite fit. Yet. Credit where it’s due, however, for Blood River getting the victory despite being on the back foot most of the way.

Big Scott Weathers def. Indigo Rose
Disappointed in Rose, but at this point she just does this two or three times a season. Takes losses she has no business taking.

Pulsar def. Billy Norris
High fliers. Who can pick ‘em?

Monty Dhillon def. Markus Clay
The expected beatdown. ‘Nuff said.

De’siree Mitchell def. Jean-Paul Ouilette
Ouilette’s in for a very long and pain filled season.

The Mastodon def. Brandy McDonald
Brandy kept it close, but the big man begins his championship chase strong.

Nuclear Templeton def. Mel O’Hallister
Nuke has surpassed Mel now. It’s quite clear.

Yoshii Nakamatsu def. Christian Priest
Nakamatsu making a statement that he’s nobody’s speed bumb. Well done, Yoshii.

George Mastachas def. Brian Blackfield
Not how I expected it, but the result I did expect. The rematch in the second half just got very interesting.

• Like 2

ALPHA DIVISION

With the season's tone set, Alpha segues into relatively mundane, if not well trodden, territory. Three out of four matches have happened before, and two of those right here last season.

(5) Brian Blackfield (0-1, OVR 562) vs. (1) De'siree Mitchell (1-0, OVR 500) [Career: First Career Meeting]

De'siree doesn't have an awful record against guys with adrenaline rushes, but that's Mastodon. This is Blackfield. She's gonna have a bad night.

(3) The Mastodon (1-0, OVR 522) vs. (4) George Mastachas (1-0, OVR 529) [Career: George Mastachas, 5 - 1]

Another chapter in this...well, we can't call something this one sided a rivalry, now can we? Mastachas maintains his dominance here.

(2) Nuclear Templeton (1-0, OVR 533) vs. (5) Brandy McDonald (0-1, OVR 515) [Career: Tied 3 - 3]

Once upon a time, this would have beendifficult to call, but Nuke has firmly surpassed his rival.

(7) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-1, OVR 516) vs. (7) Mel O'Hallister (0-1, OVR 522) [Career: Tied 1 - 1]

Mel is mah boi. Ouilette's about to have a very long season. 'Nuff said.

BETA DIVISION

The season's tone has also been set in Beta. Though everything is a bit less business as usual. Two first ever match ups instead of one, only one happened last season.

(7) Christian Priest (0-1, OVR 570) vs. (7) Angela Wassermann (0-1, OVR 476) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Both looking to rebound, but Priest ought to be out of Wasserman's weight class. 

HARDCORE MATCH: (3) Yoshii Nakamatsu (1-0, OVR 513) vs. (5) Billy Norris (0-1, OVR 509) [Career: Billy Norris, 2 - 0]

Last season this proved very interesting, as Yoshii's usual stamina advantage didn't exist, and Norris was simply too fast for him to keep his hands on. I expect this season to go much the same way.

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: (4) Lucas Molina (1-0, OVR 478) vs. (1) Blood River (1-0, OVR 504) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I do believe Molina has a bit of an advantage over a luchador when it comes to causing blood. Still, this match type favors neither of them and could go either way.

(5) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-1, OVR 502) vs. (2) Pulsar (1-0, OVR 484) [Career: Reverend Johnny Gross, 2 - 0]

A relative breather week for Gross. He ought to win this reasonably easily. A loss would not bode well for his season.

GAMMA DIVISION

Meanwhile, Gamma is still whipping out mostly unique, first time encounters. And the one that's not is a dead even rivalry that's spanned two seasons now.

(4) Big Scott Weathers (1-0, OVR 494) vs. (2) Monty Dhillon (1-0, OVR 527) [Career: First Career Meeting]

While Weathers is a bigger challenge (figuratively and in literal physical size) than Clay, I expect Dhillon to bulldoze him too.

(5) Indigo Rose (0-1, OVR 492) vs. (8) Diego Rodriguez (0-1, OVR 508) [Career: Tied 2 - 2]

What can be said? This one's getting historic in length. It's one of the longest running outside of Alpha's stalwarts. I nab Diego because I believe he has an tissue paper thin edge. But as their history shows, this can easily go either way.

(1) Kichi Hida (1-0, OVR 464) vs. (5) Terrance Stevens (0-1, OVR 483) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Stevens is the type Kichi bullies for fun and eats for breakfast. Though, if we're lucky, we may at last see her adrenaline rush trigger.

(3) Lance Heartilly (1-0, OVR 449) vs. (5) Markus Clay (0-1, OVR 477) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Observe, as Heartilly eats Clay alive.

DELTA DIVISION

Delta is, naturally, full of fresh match ups. The only possible repeat is Nocture vs. Scott Stevens, after all.

(6) Sterling Silver (0-1, OVR 447) vs. (6) Diamond (0-1, OVR 479) [Career: First Career Meeting]

I believe Silver rebounds from that initial loss here. I have no faith left in Diamond, unfortunately.

(2) Nocturne (1-0, OVR 432) vs. (1) Rock Sheridan (1-0, OVR 405) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Gotta believe in my guy, right? Plus, the last two brawling types Nocturne faced were Monty Dhillon and Kichi Hida, and they dominated her.

TABLES MATCH: (3) Scott Stevens (1-0, OVR 425) vs. (4) Leon de Ramos (1-0, OVR 406) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Real bad match type for poor Leon. Otherwise he'd have a shot here. I fully expect Stevens to put him through a table.

(8) George Stevens (0-1, OVR 400) vs. (5) Mickey Steele (0-1, OVR 402) [Career: First Career Meeting]

Toughest call of the week, in my opinion, in dead heat with Rose/Rodriguez above. Feels like it ought to be George here, according to both wrestling and game logic, but Roxy Rose can easily intervene and turn the tables at a crucial moment. Plus there's a big stamina disparity. I may be going Steele, but I would not at all be surprised if George got the W.

• Like 2

Quick update, more administrative based than anything:

After about two hours of plugging away at a lengthy Excel formula filled with Lookups, concatenation, and multiple saves of a work in progress, my master database now has the ability to automatically list traits in the order they are presented in the Rules Thread. It’s not pretty by any means, as this version eliminates the (Lv. 2, 3 TP) notation for a simple (Lv. 2), but it’s functional and it’s already caught at least one mistake that I somehow overlooked—Rock Sheridan having Raw Power Lv 1 (when it’s clearly entered in the game database).

This new update, complete with hanging commas at the end of lists, will be officially deployed after Week 2.

First of all, I am sooooooooo good at predictions that I definitely just wanted to get one of my low scores out of the way on week 1 😛

Secondly, Juggernaut my sweet, radioactive hiney, can't even beat a fake champion 😛

Thirdly, smartly suited Italian gentlemen may be going from house to house to offer gifts that will protect people from unknown malevolent forces, some of those gifts may cost you some money, so make sure you have plenty of cash on hand :)

Fourth, stairs happen, don't even forget this.

Fifth, and lastly, good lists are divisible by 5, that is a science fact

WEEK TWO CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

(2) Nuclear Templeton (1-0, OVR 533) vs. (5) Brandy McDonald (0-1, OVR 515) [Career: Tied 3 - 3]

BETA DIVISION

(7) Christian Priest (0-1, OVR 570) vs. (7) Angela Wassermann (0-1, OVR 476) [Career: First Career Meeting]

HARDCORE MATCH: (3) Yoshii Nakamatsu (1-0, OVR 513) vs. (5) Billy Norris (0-1, OVR 509) [Career: Billy Norris, 2 - 0]

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: (4) Lucas Molina (1-0, OVR 478) vs. (1) Blood River (1-0, OVR 504) [Career: First Career Meeting]

GAMMA DIVISION

(4) Big Scott Weathers (1-0, OVR 494) vs. (2) Monty Dhillon (1-0, OVR 527) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(1) Kichi Hida (1-0, OVR 464) vs. (5) Terrance Stevens (0-1, OVR 483) [Career: First Career Meeting]

DELTA DIVISION

(6) Sterling Silver (0-1, OVR 447) vs. (6) Diamond (0-1, OVR 479) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(2) Nocturne (1-0, OVR 432) vs. (1) Rock Sheridan (1-0, OVR 405) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TABLES MATCH: (3) Scott Stevens (1-0, OVR 425) vs. (4) Leon de Ramos (1-0, OVR 406) [Career: First Career Meeting]

(8) George Stevens (0-1, OVR 400) vs. (5) Mickey Steele (0-1, OVR 402) [Career: First Career Meeting]

TRAINING AND PREDICTION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2024 AT 11:59 PM EASTERN US!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Daphne Ellis: Hello again, everyone. Today we're talking with one of The League's newest competitors, Mickey Steele, along with his manager, Roxy Rose. Welcome to the show, both of you!

Mickey Steele: Thank you, Miss Ellis. I promise our investigation won't take too much of your time. We'd just like you to answer a few questions.

DE: Actually, asking questions is my jo...

MS: What can you tell me about Project Phoenix?

DE: Excuse me?

MS: Project Phoenix. We know you're involved. We've checked your financials.

DE: You've what?

Roxy Rose: Just answer the question, honey. Agent Steele is a busy man.

DE: Agent Steele? I thought you were his agent?

MS: Alright, I can see you're afraid to talk right now. Here's my card. Call me when you're ready to cut a deal.

DE: err... Thanks, will do. But what I really wanted to talk about was your upcoming match with George Stevens.

MS: Look, everyone knows the Stevens Clan are dangerous, both individually and as a group, but I refuse to be intimidated. I won't stop until I uncover the truth, and this so-called "League" is going to see justice...

Steele looks right at the camera

MS: STEELE Justice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WEEK TWO CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

Brian Blackfield

George Mastachas

Nuclear Templeton

Mel O'Hallister

BETA DIVISION

Christian Priest

Billy Norris

Blood River

Reverend Johnny Gross

GAMMA DIVISION

Monty Dhillon

Diego Rodriguez

Terrance Stevens

Lance Heartilly

DELTA DIVISION

Diamond

Nocturne

Scott Stevens

George Stevens

• Like 1

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mickey Steele is an idiot.

San Antonio, TX – January 15, 2024 – The management team of The Stevens Dynasty have released an official statement regarding the words of Mickey Steele, and this is what the Patriarch, Cary Stevens, had to say.

"Justice? The only justice that needs to be served is reversing the decision of Nocturne's win as she used and illegal leglock to make my boy submit. The Stevens don't quit and George only tapped because he didn't want his ligaments torn or possibly worse damage done. However, the idiot in charge needs to do the right thing and reverse the decision and award the victory to my boy. That's the only justice that needs to be done."

Fans and the media are encouraged to follow The League's official channels for the latest news, including the highly anticipated match and other updates.

• Like 4

Mr. Prydor! Care to comment on the news release yesterday out of San Antonio?

“Yeah. I have a statement for the Stevens’ patriarch. Cary, ask Scott how many times he tapped out to that same hold when I applied it. It was a clean maneuver then, it still is now. Naturally my star pupil is going to learn my move the correct way. Now, if she were to somehow drop either of your sons on the top of their head with a piledriver or Death Valley Driver…then you might have room for complaint especially if it causes lasting injury. Until such time as that happens, I suggest you teach your boys how to wrestle against technical grapplers better. There’s more of them to come in The League. Next question?”

I, as well as others, are curious as to the remarks by Mr. Steele. Is there any truth to this Project Phoenix?

”That is a term being used internally by League administration regarding certain subjects. As the head of said administration, I am choosing to provide no further comment on the matter at this time. Mr. Steele is welcome to approach me in my office at any point, and I will answer questions that do not divulge trade secrets about the subject. Until then, I will be as curious as you as to what Mr. Steele and Miss Rose believe they are investigating. One last question?”

Any truth to the rumor that either you or your wife will be sitting at the commentary desk next week?

“…do y’all have a listening device in my bedroom?” The reporters chuckle at this. “In all seriousness, though—yes, Tori said she wants to be on the desk this week. Something about checking in with Bob and Frankie and arranging some sort of plans for next offseason already. I was never planning to be on the desk this week anyhow, since someone needs to be on child supervision duty and it’s my week for it, between Amelia and I. So League fans will be in for a treat as for this week we return to a three-person booth.”

EDITING TO ADD: I plan on running the bulk of the matches tonight. With snow mostly covering the streets now (and me still stuck in my office because WTF is working from home anymore?) I have no plans to go anywhere, so I’m doing League stuff now to free up some time tomorrow/this weekend to configure an Ayn Odin Pro I will be receiving.

EDIT #2: I am sorely tempted as it currently stands to award dual Match of the Night awards. The clubhouse leader(s) are both 3* matches that differ in length by only seven (7) seconds.

No. That’s not a typo.

Edited by ShadowedFlames
  • Like 2

WEEK TWO CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

(5) Brian Blackfield (0-1, OVR 562) vs. (1) De'siree Mitchell (1-0, OVR 500)

- Going with conventional wisdom here, but honestly, I'm not really sure.

(3) The Mastodon (1-0, OVR 522) vs. (4) George Mastachas (1-0, OVR 529)

- MOTN contender

(2) Nuclear Templeton (1-0, OVR 533) vs. (5) Brandy McDonald (0-1, OVR 515)

- Nuke has moved past this one-time rivalry.

(7) Jean-Paul Ouilette (0-1, OVR 516) vs. (7) Mel O'Hallister (0-1, OVR 522)

- It's possible I fell down and landed on my head before making these predictions...

BETA DIVISION

(7) Christian Priest (0-1, OVR 570) vs. (7) Angela Wassermann (0-1, OVR 476)

- The First Church gets back on track.

HARDCORE MATCH: (3) Yoshii Nakamatsu (1-0, OVR 513) vs. (5) Billy Norris (0-1, OVR 509)

- History favours Norris.

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: (4) Lucas Molina (1-0, OVR 478) vs. (1) Blood River (1-0, OVR 504)

- Shooter-tech grounds the flier. Probably. Otherwise it's anyone's match.

(5) Reverend Johnny Gross (0-1, OVR 502) vs. (2) Pulsar (1-0, OVR 484)

- "Too good for Beta but not good enough for Alpha" beats "Not even supposed to be here this season".

GAMMA DIVISION

(4) Big Scott Weathers (1-0, OVR 494) vs. (2) Monty Dhillon (1-0, OVR 527)

- There will be violence.

(5) Indigo Rose (0-1, OVR 492) vs. (8) Diego Rodriguez (0-1, OVR 508)

- Could totally go either way. I just have a feeling that Rose has inched ahead of Rodriguez.

(1) Kichi Hida (1-0, OVR 464) vs. (5) Terrance Stevens (0-1, OVR 483)

- Candidate for shortest match of the week.

(3) Lance Heartilly (1-0, OVR 449) vs. (5) Markus Clay (0-1, OVR 477)

- Unlike Blood River above, Clay doesn't benefit from a match type that gives him a chance.

DELTA DIVISION

(6) Sterling Silver (0-1, OVR 447) vs. (6) Diamond (0-1, OVR 479)

- That intangible feeling that these two are trending in opposite directions.

(2) Nocturne (1-0, OVR 432) vs. (1) Rock Sheridan (1-0, OVR 405)

- Going with experience.

TABLES MATCH: (3) Scott Stevens (1-0, OVR 425) vs. (4) Leon de Ramos (1-0, OVR 406)

- Match type should favour Stevens, but there are a lot of ways to use a table.

(8) George Stevens (0-1, OVR 400) vs. (5) Mickey Steele (0-1, OVR 402)

- Homer pick.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:09 AM, ShadowedFlames said:

EDIT #2: I am sorely tempted as it currently stands to award dual Match of the Night awards. The clubhouse leader(s) are both 3* matches that differ in length by only seven (7) seconds.

No. That’s not a typo.

The First Church dislikes this lack of entertainment...

WEEK TWO CARD

ALPHA DIVISION

- Unfamiliar territory for Blackfield, but expecting to bounce back here

- Big stake for Mastodon but you back the champ unless stated unless

- Time to see if Nuclear's back in the hunt this season or making up the numbers

- Two underdogs, so I'll back the Alpha veteran

BETA DIVISION

- Priest got blitz'd last week, hoping he avoids a repeat here to get on the board.

- I'll bet against the past history and see if Nakamatsu's the real deal this season

- His opponent's got a river of it. He can afford to lose some...

- The Reverend's too good here for Pulsar

GAMMA DIVISION

- Main Event Monty's here folks! And whilst Scott Weathers may be big, he's not Mountie big like Dhillon.

- Flip a coin here honestly.

- New Division, same demolition job from Hida. Time to back it up against Stevens

- Expecting the ground and grind special here.

DELTA DIVISION

- Sleeper for MOTN here

- If Rock can keep it standing? should be fine, the danger is if Nocturne can get the giant grounded.

- Brutal match type for the smaller wrestler. Stevens should be too big and strong here

- I'm all in for justice. STEEEEELE JUSTICE

Edited by SeanMcG
  • Like 1