TNA 2013: Bischoff's Last Stand (Continued)

TNA World Heavyweight Championship

James Storm (c) vs. Samoa Joe

Comment:

Lethal Lockdown

AJ Styles, Sting, Jeff Hardy and Bully Ray vs. Jeff Jarrett, Bobby Lashley, Christopher Daniels and Kazarian

Comment:

TNA X-Division Championship

Jesse Sorensen (c) vs. Johnny Impact

Comment:

Backstage Interviewer Job Is On The Line

Jay Lethal w/ SoCal Val vs. Doc Gallows w/ Christy Hemme

Comment:

Raven's Rules Handicap Match

Raven and Abyss vs. Mr. Anderson

Comment:

TNA Tag Team Championship

The BroMans vs. The Wolves vs. Wes Brisco and Garrett Bischoff vs. The Menagerie (Crazzy Steve and The Freak)

Comment:

Taryn Terrell vs. Mickie James

Comment:

The Perfect Tens vs. The Beautiful People

Comment:

• 1 month later...

Pre-show

The Beautiful People defeated The Perfect Tens in a match that was relegated to the preshow due to the feud never quite catching on. The match wasn't good, and the feud is unlikely continue.

spacer.png

Week 3, April, 2014

Live from Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, California

Attendance: 11.877

Announcers: Mike Tenay and Taz

In the opening match of the night, Jesse Sorensen's four month reign as X-Division Champion came to an end as he was defeated by Johnny Impact, who captured the X-Division Championship for the first time. This was a good opener with plenty of exciting action, and the finish of the match came at 14:19 when Impact evaded a Lone Star Press from the Champion, only to quickly roll him up and secure the pinfall victory. (72)

Doc Gallows then faced "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal in a match where the spot as backstage interviewer was on the line, with Gallows representing Christy Hemme while Lethal represented SoCal Val. It was a solid enough match, with plenty going on at ringside as Christy and Val were at each other's throats for most of the match. In the end, Gallows put Lethal away with a Chokeslam at 10:25, meaning that Christy Hemme won the right to continue as backstage interviewer in TNA going forward. (58)

However, after the match, Christy Hemme announced that she knew a good thing when she saw one, meaning that she would not, in fact, continue as backstage interviewer after all, and that she instead would manage Doc Gallows going forward. Christy vowed that Gallows was going straight to the top of TNA, and then, as a final exclamation point, Christy slapped SoCal Val. Then, in a move that shocked the fans as well as the announcers, Gallows hit a Chokeslam on Val, and Gallows and Christy stood tall in the ring while Mike Tenay on commentary called for medical personnel to attend to SoCal Val. (46)

The TNA Tag Team Championships were vacated due to Austin Aries suffering an injury, so new Tag Team Champions were crowned at Lockdown. Four teams battled for the gold, The Wolves, The Menagerie, Garrett Bischoff and Wes Brisco and the final team was The BroMans. It was an okay match where all four teams got a decent amount of offense in, but the match never really kicked into high gear. In the end, it was The Wolves who picked up the win and the titles, when Eddie Edwards pinned Jessie Godderz at 11:41 to secure the tag team gold. (50)

A backstage segment aired next where Taryn Terrell stood in front of a mirror, talking to herself. Taryn said that she was younger, prettier and just plain better than Mickie James. Taryn said that she knows it, Mickie knows it, and after tonight, everyone else would know it too. Taryn then smiled creepily at herself in the mirror as the segment came to an end. (34)

Mr. Anderson took on Raven and "The Monster" Abyss next in a Raven's Rules handicap match. This was a brutal war with plenty of weapons and quite a bit of blood as well, and all three men took a lot of punishment in this one. In the end, Mr. Anderson was able to overcome the odds and pick up the victory after hitting the Mic Check on Raven onto a steel chair at 8:05 to bring the bloody battle to an end. (57)

"The Icon" Sting was seen confronting Bully Ray in the backstage area next. Sting told Bully that if he played it any other way than straight in the Lethal Lockdown match, then Sting would make it his own personal mission to make sure that Bully would pay for double-crossing them. Bully didn't say anything, and his expression was hard to read, which left Tenay and Taz to wonder just what was going through the mind of Bully Ray. (90)

Mickie James and Taryn Terrell squared off next in a short match that saw Mickie in control for most of it, until Taryn snapped and began pummeling Mickie with right hands. The referee called for the disqualification at 2:20 as Taryn ignored his repeated warnings, and multiple other referees hit the ring to help get Taryn away from Mickie. (37)

Lethal Lockdown took place as Team AJ, consisting of AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Sting and Bully Ray took on Team Jarrett, consisting of Jeff Jarrett, Bobby Lashley, Christopher Daniels and Kazarian. This match featured a dominant performance by Bobby Lashley, but it also, somewhat surprisingly perhaps, saw Bully Ray remain loyal to his teammates throughout the match. In the end, it was Team AJ who picked up the win in a grueling, hard-fought match when AJ Styles forced Christopher Daniels to submit to the Calf Killer at 20:02. (61)

And in the main event of Lockdown 2014, "The Outlaw" James Storm defended the TNA World Heavyweight Championship against Samoa Joe. This turned out to be Match of the Night by far, and it was indeed a good match as Storm and Joe went back and forth throughout, the match. Despite coming close a couple of times, Samoa Joe was unable to capture the World Championship on this night, and the match came to an end at 15:05 when James Storm first nailed Joe with a beer bottle when the referee was momentarily down, only to quickly follow that up with a Last Call superkick to secure the pinfall victory and continue his reign as champion. (79)

Final Show Rating: 75

PPV Buy Rate: 0.26

Show increased popularity in 8 regions

• Like 2

Lockdown is finally posted, albeit in an abbreviated version of what I normally do. Things have kinda been a mess for me for a while, but I really wanted to get back to this, and for a number I reasons I decided to do a shorter version of the write-up than I normally would. I do plan to return to my normal write-ups, hopefully as soon as the next Impact, but again, for various reasons, I think doing Lockdown this way was the best way for me to get the ball rolling again.