Explosive Ring Style

How are people using workers with the Explosive Ring Style? I haven't really used a product yet in TEW that has 'world class' matches that last less than 15 minutes so the time penalty on the workers is a bit of a turn off for really getting guys into the main event (not everyone needs to be putting on world class matches but someone needs to be having matches that aren't capped for being ten minutes only). It also seems (anecdotally) that Explosive workers don't quite enjoy the same rub from a monster push the way someone with the Squash Master attribute does.

I've fallen into the habit of pushing guys with the Explosive Ring Style because I love the idea and they often come with fun characters, maybe some good menace and star quality as well, but they tend to hit that ceiling and I end up moving them sideways into upper midcard monster tag teams. The 10 minute thing still applies to Explosive workers in tag teams which kinda sucks, but that part of my roster isn't driving the show rating so I don't mind the match rating cap.

How are people using these guys to get the best out of them? Am I just being too scared of the hit Explosive workers get for going longer than ten minutes, or is there some great creative juice I'm missing? Or is this kind of the point, that these are guys that you love to push but that you really have to start rubbing your brain cells together to get top quality main event programs from? I love the attribute, I think, and want to know how you all are making the most of it.

3 minutes ago, chm39 said:

Quashes. The Time Penalty doesn't make that big a Deal if you don't expect it to be in the 90s. I'm pushing one now and as long as she keeps getting high (around the Pop of my Company) its good.

This. Just book them to squash everybody, and then when they get to your ME, keep them away from your title. When they max out momentum job them to someone you want to put over and transfer the momentum off. Rinse repeat.

12 hours ago, Makhai said:

This. Just book them to squash everybody, and then when they get to your ME, keep them away from your title. When they max out momentum job them to someone you want to put over and transfer the momentum off. Rinse repeat.

Not necessarily, I thought not having matches reach the 15 minute mark still get a good score. Also, the person with the Explosive ring style can be in matches longer than that if they have the stamina, the attribute doesn't hurt that much.

12 hours ago, Makhai said:

image.thumb.png.a92ac063185d58461f7ac2a6c8caa6cd.png

image.thumb.png.cac054cc0e6e0dbb53b15d239a277577.png

• Like 1

This thread is pretty useful, because I had similar fears about workers with Explosive Ring Style. I always assumed that they were sort of Goldberg-esque figures that were fantastic in short squash matches, but were badly exposed if they had to wrestle a longer, more competitive match.

48 minutes ago, Aura said:

This thread is pretty useful, because I had similar fears about workers with Explosive Ring Style. I always assumed that they were sort of Goldberg-esque figures that were fantastic in short squash matches, but were badly exposed if they had to wrestle a longer, more competitive match.

It can be that. The advantage of it is that guys/girls can be significantly worse than what you would normally consider, but because they have this bonus, and because they have underlying traits and/or star power or something that makes them marketable, or menacing, this gives you a way of pushing them beyond what their base working stats would normally allow and with good booking and momentum management get them over. 

Eventually though, you will find people, or develop them into actual workers. And then this style actually becomes a small penalty which at the absolute endgame means you can't abuse slow build, which means they won't be putting on 90s which means they have a ceiling. 

This is why I book them the way I book them. They are incredibly nice to have early, meh mid-game, and a hard cap late. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Like 1