TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

The updated financial stuff from the recent dev diary is amazing for me! 

Finally, I can hope to see companies fail for more reasons that just small companies overinvesting in their production.

• Like 1

A small one but the "equipment going missing" part of the pre show brings to mind the infamous Britwres "no ring circus" incident. Hoping for a dirty trick that will involve paying people not to deliver a ring to a rivals show!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fantastic entry today.

The amount of work to improve the game is impressive!

The cherry on top would be the addition of regions and areas to complete the world map (and maybe the ability to customize them).

I am really looking forward to this game!

"Popularity Recap - This gives a breakdown of how the company's popularity has shifted (if any) from the show."

Can we get something like this for workers? I know I can just go over it all in the worker tab, but I usually miss someone changing/never notice the change. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, jakaryus said:

And the biggest change for me, finance reworking. I absolutely love that. I would love more detail if you can give us some Adam, does it mean that, for example, WWE, could actually go in negative money if they dont handle it well?

They can certainly have months when they're losing money, particularly if they're making investments, but it's unlikely they'd lose money month on month unless they've really overspent on contracts. It's very hard to make a finance system where a WWE-esque company would ever truly be in danger; if they get in trouble with all their inherent advantages then it's hard to imagine a situation where everybody else isn't getting killed off too, if you see what I mean.

There's certainly been saves where companies who are powerhouses but less well established (CWA in the default data spring to mind) have ended up going under because of overspending or bad management though.

• Like 6

Adam casually decided to announce the biggest version of TEW with everything everyone ever asked for, and it still keeps coming. And it comes out so soon, it's absolutely incredible

Question for Adam here: was working on this in secrecy for so long and only announcing it on the tail end of development a better work schedule for you than previous editions, where you'd announce it somewhat early and spend time announcing things as they were being added?

• Like 2

Love the popularity recap in the post show round up. Any chance the popularity recap can also include changes to workers? Thanks. 

whoops. Saw this was already requested. :) Great minds. 

Edited by Joshdb

My final for this Summer class I'm taking happens the same day as the Demo comes out and I am so excited to be able to sink my teeth into it after all the stuff I've put up with with Summer classes this year

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crym said:

Question for Adam here: was working on this in secrecy for so long and only announcing it on the tail end of development a better work schedule for you than previous editions, where you'd announce it somewhat early and spend time announcing things as they were being added?

I'm glad I tried the experiment we did with TEW202 where we essentially followed the development in real time as I think it was (hopefully?) interesting for people to get a peek behind the curtain, but the traditional method of doing features every day over a short space of time is much more fun to do and, frankly, is more effective as a hype / marketing tool anyway, so I doubt I'd ever do a really long journal again. I mean, there's only so much I can write to make "I spent 10 hours rewriting code to achieve this small QoL feature and then I went to bed" sound glamorous or interesting 😂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

I love the new features.

One idea/suggestion regarding pre-show build up:

It would be even more immersive if certrain stages (giving night off / choosing venue) would have to be decided a certain time span before a show. A day before or a week, imho.

Okay I love todays entries especially if the pop movement has graphs. People, they love the graphs.

For finances...major companies snowballing was far less an issue in long term saves I did over mid-tier companies earning and saving money hand over fist. For example by 2030 in a long term save all of the original cverse American indies except FCW who bellied up have multiple millions in the bank. This leads to more exclusive contracts and less worker movement. It also made in next to impossible for the AI to bring in a new company because who are they gonna hire?

Was that something also reviewed in the experiment?

Edited by Astil
  • Like 5

Absolutely love everything announced so far, can't wait to get started when it comes out.

Just an idea, is there any chance of making a Starting Tournaments section kind of like Starting Storylines or Injuries or etc. where you can pre-load a tournament in for the user with the points/elimination bracket already filled out? With the game coming out mid-G1 season that could be a nice feature.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LoganRodzen said:

I own a ROG Ally and installed TEW on it. It was not going to be a fun experience due to the screen size, onscreen keyboard, etc. (no matter if the game could dynamically adapt to the size). I've also tried TEW on touchscreen computer screens - not fun, in my experience. TEW is a point, click, and read game. 

I've played TEW on 10.1", 12", 13", 14", 15" laptops. I've used various computer monitors over the years. The issues you are describing have never been my experience. I'm just confused if you are using different DPI settings or scaling settings affecting how it looks for you? 

About the second paragraph, you're just describing different sized screens, not different resolution ones. TEW works fairly well on 1080p screens (or slightly smaller resolutions) of pretty much any size, the problem is when you get to bigger resolutions. Ironically, what I imagine from your description is that a good part of the Ally's screen will be empty and the game text/buttons will be miniscule on it, so it seems like you know exactly what the issue with bigger resolution screens is, due to the ratio between size and resolution.

As for the Steam Deck, the touchpad makes using point and click games a lot smoother than you might imagine, something the Ally doesn't have. The main issue is a lot of the times you need to move the window around to access certain corners or to be able to close a pop-up due to the resolutions not matching up well. The Deck has a 16:10 resolution ratio and that very small difference to the standard causes a lot of issues.

Yeah writing on it isn't as good as having a keyboard (I usually do it the same way I do on a phone or tablet), but it's not like you write that much on TEW in my experience.

Will the booking push mechanic (enhancement talent, lower midcard, midcard, etc.) return to the game as it greatly made it easier to book wrestlers instead of having to create a spreadsheet to do it compared to TEW16 where it was an important feature. 

Also, will AI companies be able to broker deals with user controlled broadcasters instead of you just having a service all to yourself or your child companies?

Sorry, my learning disability tends to cause some confusion for me on matters like this. My final question is will child companies operate similar to TEW16 where you can choose whether they're child company and sign people or a developmental company where they cannot sign anyone but only use the people you send to them?

Edited by 0fficialdregs

1 minute ago, 0fficialdregs said:

Will the booking push mechanic (enhancement talent, lower midcard, midcard, etc.) return to the game as it greatly made it easier to book wrestlers instead of having to create a spreadsheet to do it compared to TEW16 where it was an important feature. 

Personally I much prefer the new system because you don't have to deal with workers complaining about their push all the time. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 0fficialdregs said:

You could do this with the new divisions system, no? Unless you want it done automatically in which case I wonder how it is different from perception

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Collin said:

Personally I much prefer the new system because you don't have to deal with workers complaining about their push all the time. 

I never any wrestlers complain about their push in 16, they mostly complained about money.

2 minutes ago, Astil said:

You could do this with the new divisions system, no? Unless you want it done automatically in which case I wonder how it is different from perception

If that's the case, thank you for answering my question. I thought divisions meant like the Title division, weight division, or gender division. 

Just now, 0fficialdregs said:

If that's the case, thank you for answering my question. I thought divisions meant like the Title division, weight division, or gender division. 

It does but since its custom nothing to stop you making a main event, midcard, lowcard division 

• Like 1