TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

5 minutes ago, littledaniel said:

You were right that I wasn't using the Default_Alt, but unfortunately that didn't work either. All workers still have the default grey, ghosty image unless I go through the editor and set each one to the right picture.

Sounds like you have to mass edit their picture directory 

17 minutes ago, TheDeep5ix said:

Not to mention, there are several alternate original renders of those characters that look much better than the default stuff. It's kind of silly picking on the old content as a strawman when much better non-AI original stuff also exists across various forums.

Oh for sure there are. But his comments was that the "old ones" had more character, which I took to mean the defaults. Wasn't trying to s**t on the old renders, but probably did and I'm sorry for that. ☹️

18 minutes ago, 1PWfan said:

Just my immediate thoughts; the new renders take a little while to get used to but after a couple of hours I was getting on board with them. I actually quite like the company backgrounds they use, it makes it easy to tell at a glance who's completely unemployed and who isn't and as somebody who prefers to bring in fresh faces that makes a difference.

As for the database, given how much bodywork was done on the game system I can forgive the lack of development but yeah, it does feel a bit samey. Still good, I'm liking the game so far and there's plenty to respond to, but in an ideal world I'd hope for a new game in the next 18 months or so with 40-50 new workers, like when 2k8 was followed by 10. 

I think you'll prefer the updated versions a lot more. I just need to put them in this format. 

Edited by EdJames
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clarity said:

I’ve found it works if you go into the settings and change the database to the Alt one and then start a new game.

After about 10 minutes, I went back to the borders

I tried starting a new game after setting the db's picture folder to  Default_Alt, but unfortunately nope I'm still getting the grey ghosts.

6 minutes ago, Teh_Showtime said:

Sounds like you have to mass edit their picture directory 

Any thoughts on how to go about that?

I'm afraid I might not have been clear about what I'm trying to accomplish and the steps I took so far. So, for clarity's sake (no pun intended):

I want to get rid of the AI images. I'm trying to populate my database with the TEW2020 version of images. To do this, I deleted the People subdirectory (TEW9>Pictures>Default_Alt>People), then copied the TEW2020 People folder into Default_Alt. I was under the impression that because the file names are the same (just the worker's name), that's all I would have to do. Instead, every worker is represented by the default picture.

For example, here's Aaron Andrew's profile from the editor:

IvAvEyi.png

I opened up the Picture screen to show that I have the TEW2020 images there. But as you can see this wrestler's picture is showing up as the default, despite having an available picture.

14 minutes ago, Yuzu Adagio said:

My first (minor) gripe is that you can't move a smaller window outside of the main window like you could in previous installments.  Sometimes that's helpful!

I just tested this because I do this all the time, it still works for me btw. That might be a bug or something, is there somewhere specific you can't move the windows?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, littledaniel said:

I just tested this because I do this all the time, it still works for me btw. That might be a bug or something, is there somewhere specific you can't move the windows?

hm, now I don't remember what window I was on, but I tried it elsewhere and it worked.  Thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littledaniel said:

Do I have this right -- TEW2020 has the feature to turn a save game into a database, but TEW9's TEW2020 to TEW9 database converter says it "cannot convert TEW2020 save games." That seems strange.

You can turn your 2020 save into a database (in TEW 2020) and then convert it

Edited by Clairo

2 minutes ago, Clairo said:

You can turn your 2020 save into a database (in TEW 2020) and then convert it

Have you been able to? I can't get a converted save game into the "Available Databases" list on TEW9's Database Converter like I can a regular TEW2020 db, and the screen explicitly mentions not being able to convert 2020 save games.

Edited by littledaniel

4 minutes ago, littledaniel said:

Have you been able to? I can't get a converted save game into the "Available Databases" list on TEW9's Database Converter like I can a regular TEW2020 db, and the screen explicitly mentions not being able to convert 2020 save games.

Works just fine for me, or well, it crashed because of some sort of Hall of Fame error, but the database does show up. Did you follow all the steps? Convert your save in 2020 -> it's now a database -> create a new database in IX -> add the converted 2020 database to the new folder in IX -> convert it to IX

You're converting an actual database that you created out of a save, so it should work without any issues

1 minute ago, Clairo said:

Works just fine for me, or well, it crashed because of some sort of Hall of Fame error, but the database does show up. Did you follow all the steps? Convert your save in 2020 -> it's now a database -> create a new database in IX -> add the converted 2020 database to the new folder in IX -> convert it to IX

You're converting an actual database that you created out of a save, so it should work without any issues

Hmm, strange. I followed those steps but only the original database files ("TEW2020.mdb") work for me, not converted saved games ("[Company]_MMYYYY.mdb").

Having a great time playing so far just one thing kind of bothering me is why rearrange the main office screen why not add the new buttons in the highlighted red area in the picture I provided nothing major just something I find odd to change I guess I've just gotten to used to the 2020 layout.

Untitled.png.779ec8c6cb078e2cd2ddbf4d8b412b91.png

15 minutes ago, TheOmniWarrior said:

Is there some way to turn off weather effects? I literally just lost out on having nicky champion on my literal  first show and I dont even wanna play this now lmao 

Luckily all the storms have been around me not not hitting me yet

Well we've had a lot of strong opinions I see lol.

Was able to view a couple things but haven't got into the meat of booking just yet.

First thing I'll say, I do like the AI renders. I've been viewing them and I haven't really had a wtf on any. That said, I think I do like the AI renders that had been done so far with TEW2020 and those kind of really revived the game for me. Honestly I think people just need to relax and just use the renders they feel are best without being toxic to others. 

As for the CVerse, yeah it's very underwhelming. I do believe Adam likely didn't want to change too much due to adding so many new features that he wanted to keep the lore simple. But it really feels from 2020 the Default CVerse seems super stagnant. I don't agree with the idea two years doesn't mean a ton of change happens because look at the real wrestling business from the beginning of 2022 to now 2024. It's very much different in so many ways. I'll likely put more thoughts in the CVerse predictions thread since I don't want to vent about it too much here.

The UI I really love. The heights, weights, and having actual number dates really help the immersion. Everything feels more clean and honestly it doesn't feel slow to me at all. 2020 kind of felt a bit clunky to me at times but I haven't had any issues when navigating on this one. 

Excited to explore more. Enjoy playing everybody! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Fabibi said:

Hello, I get error error number 13 as I try to launch a new game.

In another thread the temp solution is to change the language to English.  They are working on a solution so hopefully it will be fixed for you soon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hollywoodshinebox said:

The game is totally unplayable to me. Error 13 as soon as I click something in the main page.

Change the language  to English.  They said elsewhere they are working on a fix for this.  Hope that helps

I love this beta so far. My only issues are I preferred the more cartoony wrestler pics from the last game, and I think the pictures are too small. Other than that, this game is shaping up to be incredible.

First reactions, without reading through all 10 pages to see if others have also said this:

I HATE THE ANGLE BOOKING. It's the biggest turn off for me from PWS and I can't believe the one major change I've noticed so far is adopting that terrible system, IMO.
It's frustrating as hell, takes too long, the old one is so much better.

I just picked up TEW2020 Cornellverse for a month before this to get into the groove as I usually play Real World Mod - everything is so similar, as far as that goes. I guess people got upset last time at how much it changed? But to me, not enough change. 

And finally... how are we still not able to full screen this, man. This is brutal. 

Aside from that, excited for I guess a slight refresh of things and to spend another $40 when the game essentially looks exactly the same? Pretty let down so far. 

EDIT - only gone back a couple pages so far but I see many with the same angle complaints. It's unfortunate Adam chose to keep so many of the obvious deficits in TEW but adopt one of the worst parts of PWS. Trust me, if you've never played PWS, this is THE same angle system lifted note for note, and it's awful.

Edited by donv86
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Darkness94 said:

I love this beta so far. My only issues are I preferred the more cartoony wrestler pics from the last game, and I think the pictures are too small. Other than that, this game is shaping up to be incredible.

If you switch the database in the main screen to the alt version before starting a game, you can play the JPG version where everybody is full 150x150px with a black background (as one alternative).

• Like 1