TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

3 hours ago, Blackman said:

Finally able to take a look. At first sight it looks like the picture size has been reduced? Why did that suddenly happen? On a big monitor, I can barely see the image at all. It's literaly 1/32th of the entire width of the screen.

Imo there was nothing wrong with the stable images on the background of the standard GIF image. This new style offers more options, yes, but don't shrink the one graphic this game has.

I saw the option "background logos" and turned it off, thinking it might fix this, but instead it becomes some black space with the name of the game on it? Please have the picture extend in this case instead of this? I cannot imagine anyone, anyone at all, who would play the game this way...

Use the Default_Alt database and you will have the traditional larger jpegs without the bordered images.

Real world mod players have been playing with this gif style for years and it is very popular and well liked

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AstroCreep said:

My exact thought. Easy, quick angle booking.

All those premade angles were essentially the same thing anyway and at the end of the day could be broken down into most of those quick add angles. With this new system you have the option of the quick adds plus a newer, highly detailed level of control. I understand that people don’t like change, but for me - I’d rather have this level of control. I hated booking three or four back to back unconnected segments to achieve this. Plus, we now can write full on custom descriptions for them

• Like 11

Big thing I noticed is the only way to view what contracts a worker might be on is by going to each company individually because that takes up a lot of time for something that was originally in the info screen and didn't require multiple clocks especially if trying to check between multiple wrestlers.

1 minute ago, moststay said:

Big thing I noticed is the only way to view what contracts a worker might be on is by going to each company individually because that takes up a lot of time for something that was originally in the info screen and didn't require multiple clocks especially if trying to check between multiple wrestlers.

You can do it this way as posted earlier on in the day in the thread. 

This only doesn't work if you're unemployed in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Big Roguey said:

You can do it this way as posted earlier on in the day in the thread. 

This only doesn't work if you're unemployed in the game.

This does help me a bit, but still is a similar problem what I'm saying is why not have the ability to see a worker's contract from the workers tab when scanning through. Only ways I have found are your way, going on a company contracts screen and going on the companies roster and clicking contract on the bio tab there. 

I want the contract bio tab to also be accessible on the worker's tab so I can compare multiple workers that might not be part of the same company.

Spent a few more hours this morning and I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but it's not going to be a day-one purchase like it usually is. Honestly, it's going to take me forever just to add the new heights, weights, geo tags, dates anyway, so I'm not in a rush.

This really doesn't feel like a new game so much as a patch for TEW2020. It's an odd mix of useful quality-of-life stuff but with a trade-off of weird additions/omissions. I've been playing and modding these games for the better part of 20 years now, so I've gotten fairly used to having to force it to operate how I want. It's really the little things that make-or-break the experience for me at this point. The past few releases have demonstrated to me that the way I want to use TEW is in opposition to how it's being designed. I want control over everything and it feels like more and more of that is being taken away from the user.

Also, I just really don't like how the AI operates and I know that's not just something that can be easily changed. I'm sure many would argue it doesn't need to be. I don't want it to try to "fix" the world I made to be more ideal. I want it to work with what it's been given.

The world doesn't feel more alive to me with so much going on. It makes it far less immersive, if anything. Some small indy that only runs one show every 4-5 weeks shouldn't have multiple backstage fights every month. When are those people even seeing each other? Why was the relationship frequency setting removed? Why are wrestlers with neutral or even positive personalities getting in fights and walking out of indy promotions? What is the actual logic that the AI uses for stable management? Because the "integral" setting doesn't seem to do much to protect them from getting disbanded. I know I keep repeating myself, but I never see anyone else talk about this.

God, I feel like one of those people that spends 9000 hours on a Steam game and then leaves a negative review.

Edited by D.W.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cesspool said:

I'm a little surprised by the negative feedback on the UI, to be honest. To me, at least, clicking on a few extra tabs isn't that much of a hassle and is a fair trade-off for how much easier on the eyes everything is now. I feel like my brain registers all the data a whole lot better when it's more spread out and I'm pretty sure this new designer is much more newbie friendly. The game just feels less overwhelming like this. 

I almost wonder if maybe a solution could be having the ability to reorganize the tabs. Like, I would like the attributes to be my main tab.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, miamarsden said:

I almost wonder if maybe a solution could be having the ability to reorganize the tabs. Like, I would like the attributes to be my main tab.

Or the 'stickiness' that keeps it the same as you scroll through the roster carry over even if you close the screen.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Astil said:

Or the 'stickiness' that keeps it the same as you scroll through the roster carry over even if you close the screen.

Yeah like, I think the main thing I'm noticing people don't like is when we have options that used to be there, removed. If we had, for instance, a quick angle option, that would make a lot of people's lives easier. We have to remember that not everyone who plays this game is a hardcore fan - but there's got to be happy mediums here, and I think if that were the case, people would love this game.

I'm buying this game either way, to be totally transparent - but I really, really think that we should remember that a lot of people's favorite TEWs were 13 or 16, and a lot of people got into this community via EWR. That said, I do think the new angle booking option is fantastic - I just wish there was also an option to have quick angles like the "Hype: 1 vs 1" or the "Promo on Opponent" the same way we did in 2020 or the ability to move the attributes to the front page (I love looking at the attributes and make a lot of decisions based on them).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, miamarsden said:

Yeah like, I think the main thing I'm noticing people don't like is when we have options that used to be there, removed. If we had, for instance, a quick angle option, that would make a lot of people's lives easier. We have to remember that not everyone who plays this game is a hardcore fan - but there's got to be happy mediums here, and I think if that were the case, people would love this game.

I'm buying this game either way, to be totally transparent - but I really, really think that we should remember that a lot of people's favorite TEWs were 13 or 16, and a lot of people got into this community via EWR. That said, I do think the new angle booking option is fantastic - I just wish there was also an option to have quick angles like the "Hype: 1 vs 1" or the "Promo on Opponent" the same way we did in 2020 or the ability to move the attributes to the front page (I love looking at the attributes and make a lot of decisions based on them).

There is! Thats what I've been trying to say. Both of those are in the game.

image.png.0a6c5d302cc1e7b69425c2d0d80e3ea3.png

image.thumb.png.9ce311073258185878737272aa8dc964.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Astil said:

There is! Thats what I've been trying to say. Both of those are in the game.

image.png.0a6c5d302cc1e7b69425c2d0d80e3ea3.png

image.thumb.png.9ce311073258185878737272aa8dc964.png

I think I kind of spoke wrong, let me fix some wording here. I forgot what they were called until now - the pre-set angles. Are these saveable as templates? If they were, that could address the problems I've seen. 

Additionally, if all that is the case, then making it easier to find might help. I'm not gonna lie, that's my main thing - I like the idea of optional functionality, provided that it's doable.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, miamarsden said:

I suggest voting for the suggestion here:

• Like 1

I feel like having a huge list of presets instead of a single preset that is automatically functional based on how many workers you have is the same feature but more cumbersome? Would it make more sense if the button said premade angles instead of quick angles because I think so too yes.

Think like instead of 1v1 hype 2 v 1 hype 2 v 2 hype etc its just hype based on how many people you put in. That seems better?

I just feel like the feature gives people who want to use the new stuff a way to do so and people who want the older way a method as well. Its not a 1:1 (like I said before there isnt pre match big entrance and I love that angle) but its really dang close.

• Like 5

Still haven't put much time in the demo. 

That being said, one minor change that is such a good QoL change is the ability to use the arrow keys to navigate workers. Being able to just use the arrow keys to scroll through workers instead of having to click each individual one? 10/10. Especially at the start when you're looking at workers to hire.

3 minutes ago, Bartring said:

Still haven't put much time in the demo. 

That being said, one minor change that is such a good QoL change is the ability to use the arrow keys to navigate workers. Being able to just use the arrow keys to scroll through workers instead of having to click each individual one? 10/10. Especially at the start when you're looking at workers to hire.

On the Workers screen? Pretty sure that was in 2020.

I cannot for the life of me get my previous picture folder to work. I do the 'check pictures' option and it comes up that it's installed correctly. I've got a few pics that work but most don't, and there's no logos for companies. Is this a common issue? Any help appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, Hlock said:

I cannot for the life of me get my previous picture folder to work. I do the 'check pictures' option and it comes up that it's installed correctly. I've got a few pics that work but most don't, and there's no logos for companies. Is this a common issue? Any help appreciated! 

Did you check database details?

image.png.b75d6b179be0510628c650fb2d6be454.png

Just now, Hlock said:

There's been quite a lot of manoeuvring in the picture pack so it's not a straight swap from TEW 20 to TEW IX. So firstly, check all the images are going in the right places in their respective folders. Then you need to ensure your database is using the correct picture 'Picture Folder', which you can do via the "Database Details" button in the main editor. If you're using a "previous picture folder" for the C-Verse, this might take a whole lot of work because - as always from one iteration to the next - there's going to be name changes and the like so a TEW 20 picture pack may not line up properly with a TEW IX database, unfortunately. Let me know how you get on and I might be able to help you more. 👍

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 6:50 PM, Adam Ryland said:

Please use this thread for reactions, comments, etc about the TEW IX public beta.

Please be respectful with your posts here about the various changes, new features etc to the new game. This extends to the AI generated renders used for the main picture pack of the default data.

As a reminder, if you find any errors they should be reported in the Technical Support forum, not here, or they may get missed.

Hello 👋 I’m a big fan of the games, especially the Cornellverse. I noticed the tragic death of Koji Kojima, probably related to the Yakuza scandal… but I there’s a mistake with the date of his death. It’s written 16 march 2000.

7 hours ago, JCStensland said:

Might be a dumb question but can we move the TEW IX folder out of the OneDrive and put it in the same place as TEW 2020? For example, my TEW20 is in the Program Files (x86) in the GDS folder?

I installed it on a removable D drive so yeah you probably can but might need to do so when you install the game so it knows where to look for things

Edited by alpha2117

11 minutes ago, Mammoth said:

There's been quite a lot of manoeuvring in the picture pack so it's not a straight swap from TEW 20 to TEW IX. So firstly, check all the images are going in the right places in their respective folders. Then you need to ensure your database is using the correct picture 'Picture Folder', which you can do via the "Database Details" button in the main editor. If you're using a "previous picture folder" for the C-Verse, this might take a whole lot of work because - as always from one iteration to the next - there's going to be name changes and the like so a TEW 20 picture pack may not line up properly with a TEW IX database, unfortunately. Let me know how you get on and I might be able to help you more. 👍

Yeah it seems like some of the images work but it's very random. Roman Reigns, for example, has his picture in this database but John Cena doesn't. I wonder if this mod file just isn't yet ready to work in TEW IX, without some fiddling, and I may have to wait. I can be patient if so but yeah, expected it to be slightly smoother, not that that's anyone's fault! 

Edited by Hlock
typo