WWF 1997: War Zone

67u0Zz4.pnga68EQJK.jpeg

Diary Intro

The date is January 1st 1997. It is a time of change in popular culture. Broadcast TV is at its peak with hit comedies like Friends and Seinfeld and intense dramas such as ER and the X-Files dominating the airwaves. Yet new media is emerging too - from car-crash reality TV and crass cartoon humor to the emerging dot-com boom. In the final years of this millennium, the lines between what is real and what is entertainment are increasingly blurred.

Against this cultural backdrop, the World Wrestling Federation is also at a crossroads. Once a byword for sports entertainment excellence throughout the 1980s, the WWF has increasingly fallen behind their rival WCW whose live two-hour Monday Nitro has become "can't miss" TV, routinely defeating the often-taped one hour Raw in what observers have dubbed wrestling's Monday Night War.

Why have the WWF become second-best? Simply look to their competition - as under the direction of Senior Vice-President Eric Bischoff, WCW have signed top talent including Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Randy Savage and Lex Luger, presented fresh faces from Japan and Mexico as part of the high-octane cruiserweight division, and innovated with the groundbreaking New World Order storyline complete with a sensational heel turn from Hollywood Hogan.

In contrast, the WWF have presented safe and staid programming featuring a procession of hokey gimmicks and corny storylines that are increasingly out of step with the world of 1997. While the likes of human-bull hybrid Mantaur, disgusting slob Bastion Booger and kooky clown Doink are no longer part of the roster, the WWF still boasts wrestling plumber TL Hopper, wrestling hockey player The Goon and inferior copycat versions of Razor Ramon and Diesel. 

Yet not all is lost - the WWF roster is flush with both established talent like legendary technician Bret Hart, charismatic showman Shawn Michaels and stalwart star the Undertaker, and exciting prospects like the trash-talking rebel "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, the unstable loose cannon Brian Pillman and the schizophrenic brawler Mankind. And thanks to the Nation of Domination faction, sex-symbol Sunny and a partnership with renegade promotion ECW, the WWF have started to push the envelope with racial, sexual and violent storylines.

Will the WWF stay true to their tested but increasingly outdated formula, or will they pursue a bold new creative direction? Will WCW remain at the apex of the wrestling industry or will the WWF reclaim their spot as top dog? Will Monday Nitro or Monday Night Raw come out triumphant in the Monday Night War?

The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn. This is War Zone.

a68EQJK.jpeg

Diary Schedule

• In order to balance real life and downtime while providing ongoing updates, I'm going to run the diary on a real-time schedule. This means that I will post one week of show results per real-world week (except for PPVs - see below).
  • On regular weeks, I'll post Shotgun Saturday Night on Saturday, Sunday Morning Superstars on Sunday, Monday Night Raw on Monday and then pick 'ems for the following week's shows on Tuesday.
  • On PPV weeks, I'll post the Free For All PPV pre-show on Saturday and the PPV itself on Monday. This is because of the extra detail that will go into PPV write-ups versus weekly TV. Pick 'Ems for the following week of shows will then be posted on the Tuesday.
  • If any changes to the diary schedule or breaks are needed, I'll communicate this in advance.

a68EQJK.jpeg

Pick 'Em Competition Rules

• Each month of the diary will have a Pick 'Em Competition, where correctly guessing the result of a match-up and answering bonus questions will earn you points, and the person who has the most points at the end of each month will earn a chance to influence the diary in an interesting way. This rewards those who follow the diary and my booking patterns while giving a chance to reset everyone's points each month.
  • All weekly TV shows, Free For All pre-shows and PPVs will contribute to points. You can predict the results of the shows from the point that week's scheduled matches are posted each Tuesday, until the point I actually post the results. That means generally you have between Tuesday to Friday to predict Shotgun Saturday Night, Superstars and Raw, but you can still predict Raw on Saturday and Sunday if you're late to the party.
  • I'll keep a running tally of points and post this each Tuesday along with the scheduled matches for the following week. When I announce the winner of the month, you'll have one week to let me know your choice by posting in this thread or via IM - if this time elapses and you haven't got back to me, the choice goes to the person with the second most points (and so on if necessary).

The Pick 'Em Competition Prizes for 1997 are as follows:

• January - Opportunity Knocks: A signing of your choice joins the WWF roster. This can be anyone that is not under an exclusive deal (I can confirm via IM if your choice is unavailable, at which point you can choose a different worker).
  • February - Gang Warz: Any three WWF workers of your choice are put together in a stable. You're welcome to suggest the stable's name and gimmick if you prefer, or leave it up to me.
  • March - Grudge Match: Create a storyline that will play out over the next three months. You can use as many or as few WWF roster members as you wish, and you can be as specific or vague about the story beats and outcome as you like.
  • April - Undefeated Streak: The WWF wrestler or tag team of your choice will win their next 10 televised matches, creating a wave of undeniable momentum that ends with a title shot related to their current perception e.g. WWF Intercontinental for Unimportant/Recognisable/Well Known, WWF World Heavyweight for Star/Major Star and WWF World Tag Team for tag teams.
  • May - Future Endeavors: Any WWF roster member of your choice is released and cannot be hired back for at least one year. This cannot be the current holder of any WWF championship however.
  • June - Grabbing the Brass Ring: Any WWF wrestler of your choice will challenge for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship in the main event of the July PPV.
  • July - Opportunity Knocks... Again: See the description of the January prize.
  • August - Some Gimmicks Needed: Any WWF worker or tag team is repackaged with a new gimmick of your choice. This can be as serious or outrageous as you like and can include name changes. I will keep this gimmick in place for at least nine months.
  • September - In Your House: You choose the name, theme and location of the October PPV including whether any special tournaments or gimmick matches will occur.
  • October - Coached for Greatness: Any WWF roster member of your choice becomes the new manager of any wrestler, tag team or stable of your choice for at least the next year. You are welcome to suggest the on-screen relationship dynamic of manager and client - e.g. a sports agent, a butler or valet, a romantic interest, etc.
  • November - Future Endeavors... Again: See the description of the May prize.
  • December - Title Shake-Up: Choose to either introduce a new championship to the WWF or unify two existing WWF championships. You can suggest the name and concept of the new or unified title.

a68EQJK.jpeg

Diary Bible

The WWF roster of 1997 is filled with wrestlers and personalities that are both iconic and obscure to modern fans. Some larger than life stars have yet to find the personas that would make them famous, while others are former legends still holding on to their last moments in the limelight.

The best way to introduce yourself to this exciting period is through the below Diary Bible entries - you'll also find them in the first three pages of the thread if scrolling normally:

a68EQJK.jpeg

Show History

a68EQJK.jpeg

A Personal Note

This is a big undertaking (no pun intended) for me - my first posted diary since 2016's Shane McMahon's WCW. In addition, while I've had a lot of experience in TEW 2020, this will be my first playthrough of TEW IX. So it's likely things may not go quite to plan, both in terms of the gameplay and the (excellence of) execution of this diary.

I'm playing on a converted version of Forlan's The War Rages On along with further updates made by s7eve_s (and a few homebrew tweaks of my own), so am grateful to both for their work.

I have read some of the excellent diaries posted by the GDS community but have consciously stayed away from anything in the mid-90s range as I don't want others' great ideas to influence my own instincts.

Likewise, while I'll mimic some of the general storylines and character developments of WWF 1997, I don't want this diary to simply retell what happened in real life - instead, I want to use this period of significant change to explore a few historic "what ifs", venture down some roads not taken in real life, and take the WWF through an alternate version of the Attitude Era.

Feedback on the diary is welcome and encouraged at all times. I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you!

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 14

Eh not really a fan of attitude era diaries, i Don't hate the attitude era in fact I love it it's just i Don't feel like diaries about it are needed. I feel like the appeal or fun had on this site is to see what if's or could have been's, stuff that went down differently in the real world and hopefully for the better. The problem here is the attitude era is almost perfect with a few problems that can be traced back to Vince Russo but when those are fixed what else is there to change? You've already got the main players you need to rebuild the wwf in Austin, the rock, mcmahon, undertaker, dx and mick Foley so why risk retonning or butterflying them away?

• Confused 5

52 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

Eh not really a fan of attitude era diaries, i Don't hate the attitude era in fact I love it it's just i Don't feel like diaries about it are needed. I feel like the appeal or fun had on this site is to see what if's or could have been's, stuff that went down differently in the real world and hopefully for the better. The problem here is the attitude era is almost perfect with a few problems that can be traced back to Vince Russo but when those are fixed what else is there to change? You've already got the main players you need to rebuild the wwf in Austin, the rock, mcmahon, undertaker, dx and mick Foley so why risk retonning or butterflying them away?

I understand it may not be fun for you and that’s perfectly okay, not everything appeals to everyone after all.

For me as a fan, WWF 1997 and 1998 are almost perfect years but that’s exactly what makes it fun to take a different path and try new things too.

I’ve personally had fun planning the diary and I’m doing it because I enjoy it. I do hope others enjoy following the diary too but if not, there are certainly plenty of other awesome diaries on the forums! ^^

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blaustein said:

I understand it may not be fun for you and that’s perfectly okay, not everything appeals to everyone after all.

For me as a fan, WWF 1997 and 1998 are almost perfect years but that’s exactly what makes it fun to take a different path and try new things too.

I’ve personally had fun planning the diary and I’m doing it because I enjoy it. I do hope others enjoy following the diary too but if not, there are certainly plenty of other awesome diaries on the forums! ^^

Well i guess the first change that come to mind is making sure Owen hart lives. The man should've been a world champion at least once, in fact I think there's a mod about about him living called Flashpoint.

Another idea is keeping Shawn Michaels from injuring his back. At the 98 Royal Rumble shawn took a bump off the casket during his match with undertaker that lead to his retirement, but if that doesn't happen then not only would wwf keep a big star but it would have an effect triple h's own main event push.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Diary Bible I: The World of Wrestling in 1997

This entry provides an intro to the major wrestling promotions at the start of 1997 - their history, their products and their fortunes heading into a new year.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WCW World Championship Wrestling - since 1988, Big Size, 1st in World
Top Stars: WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hollywood Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Randy Savage, WCW World Tag Team Champion Kevin Nash

WCW is truly “Where the Big Boys Play”. The Turner-owned wrestling promotion has a rich heritage dating back to the NWA days but had never achieved the mainstream exposure and commercial success of the WWF - until now. Featuring a star-studded roster of industry legends and hungry young talent, the company has lured top ex-WWF stars “down south” in addition to top talent from ECW, Japan and Mexico. Airing live in primetime for two hours every week, their flagship broadcast Monday Nitro goes head to head with WWF’s Monday Night Raw - and more often than not wins the ratings battle. Featuring the groundbreaking New World Order faction, the innovative Cruiserweight division and a compelling and brooding new version of company franchise Sting, 1997 is poised to be their best year yet.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Wrestling Federation - since 1952, Medium Size, 2nd in World
Top Stars: Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, WWF World Heavyweight Champion Sycho Sid, Steve Austin

In pop culture, the words “professional wrestling” and “WWF” are close to synonymous. The McMahon family have promoted wrestling throughout the 20th Century, but when Vince McMahon Jr. took the reins in 1982, his bold new creative direction and ruthless business acumen propelled the WWF from regional powerhouse to national phenomenon. Hulkamania, the Rock and Wrestling Connection and Wrestlemania became staples of the 80s wrestling boom, but some say that McMahon has not changed sufficiently with the times. In 1997, the WWF has fallen behind their rival WCW in television ratings and critical success, and their programming has become safe, formulaic and hackneyed. Things could be better - the WWF has a very promising talent roster and McMahon is looking to ECW and others for creative inspiration. Will 1997 be the year Titan turns it around?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

NJPW New Japan Pro Wrestling - since 1972, Big Size, 3rd in World
Top Stars: NJPW President Antonio Inoki, IWGP Heavyweight Champion Shinya Hashimoto, Keiji Mutoh, IWGP Tag Team Champion Masahiro Chono, Riki Choshu

Heading into 1997, the King of Sports is at the height of its popularity in Japan, with its trademark hard-hitting “Strong Style” having passed from the founding generation of Antonio Inoki and Tatsumi Fujinami to the so-called Three Musketeers: the brave and bulky Shinya Hashimoto, the charismatic and savvy Masahiro Chono and international superstar Keiji Mutoh, known the world over as the Great Muta. Some of NJPW’s most successful angles have come from co-promoting with other Japanese promotions, such as the UWFi invasion storyline that was said to have inspired Eric Bischoff to create the nWo, and the unification of 8 junior heavyweight championships to create the J-Crown title. With an eye on the international scene, Inoki has fostered a strong working relationship with WCW that has been mutually beneficial to both promotions, including the crossover nWo Japan faction.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AJPW All Japan Pro Wrestling - since 1972, Medium Size, 4th in World
Top Stars: AJPW President Giant Baba, Mitsuhara Misawa, Stan Hansen, Toshiaki Kawada, AJPW Unified World Tag Team Champion Steve Williams

One of the most respected and prestigious names in pro wrestling, AJPW is synonymous with the “King’s Road” style of epic and intense bouts, star gaijin talent from the USA, and the legendary Four Pillars of Heaven: Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada and Taue, who seem to produce five-star classics in any combination of singles or tag team wrestling. The 90s have been a period of enormous success for the company, but the cracks are beginning to show - the grueling “King’s Road” style continues to escalate to what could be unsustainable levels, Giant Baba sticks rigidly to an isolationist policy where his rivals embrace working relationships, and they have little answer to the junior heavyweight wrestling boom of other Japanese rivals. AJPW is poised for a great 1997, but are their best days behind them?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

CMLL Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre - since 1935, Medium Size, 5th in World
Top Stars: El Hijo Del Santo, CMLL World Heavyweight Champion Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Dos Caras, Negro Casas, CMLL World Light Heavyweight Champion Dr. Wagner Jr.

The oldest active professional wrestling promotion in the world has presented a timeless traditional form of lucha libre for over 60 years - beloved tecnicos versus cunning rudos, colorful characters and costumes and legendary rivalries ending with luchas de apeustas with masks and hair on the line. As the promotion owns its own venues including the iconic Arena Mexico, it has so far weathered the recent downturn in the Mexican peso and has not seen it necessary to ally with overseas promotions like its rivals. Going into 1997, CMLL may not be the most innovative or exciting promotion around, but they’re undoubtedly one of the safest and most stable.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AAA Asistencia Asesoria Y Administracion - since 1992, Small Size, 7th in World
Top Stars: Blue Demon Jr., Perro Aguayo, Villano IV, Octagon, Villano III

A young but prolific company, AAA was created less than five years ago when CMLL booker Antonio Pena’s dissatisfaction led to him forming his own rival promotion, taking much of the younger talent with him. With a more contemporary approach and a willingness to do deals with international promotions, AAA achieved its high point in 1994 with When Worlds Collide, with a sold-out crowd of 13,000 in Los Angeles witnessing the very best of lucha libre - though this proved a poisoned chalice in the long-run. Top AAA stars were booked in ECW and later WCW, and the combination of the weak peso and issues with management led to another exodus of younger talent through the creation of Promo Azteca and the loss of the WCW working relationship. AAA still has a versatile roster of veterans and up and comers, and a new working relationship with the WWF makes 1997 a year of many possibilities.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AJW All Japan Women’s Pro Wrestling - since 1968, Small Size, 8th in World
Top Stars: WWWA World Tag Team Champion Manami Toyota, WWWA World Singles Champion Kyoko Inoue, Aja Kong, Reggie Bennett, Yumiko Hotta

A pioneering force in the genre of joshi puroresu (female pro wrestling), AJW is known for a fast-paced and hard-hitting style featuring wrestlers and matches that are on par if not better than any mens promotion globally. Yet 1997 is a period of uncertainty for the founding Matsunaga Brothers - the stars of their late 80s/early 90s boom period have retired, moved to other promotions or started to wind down their careers, and their shoes are proving difficult to fill. Competition from other joshi promotions and financial difficulties from fading attendance are also threatening the company’s dominance in the women’s wrestling market. It remains to be seen whether AJW can turn things around or whether all that remains is their legendary but increasingly distant glory days.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

ECW Extreme Championship Wrestling - since 1992, Small Size, 10th in World
Top Stars: Terry Funk, ECW World Heavyweight Champion Raven, Sabu, Taz, ECW World Television Champion Shane Douglas

A cult promotion in every sense of the word, this scrappy Philadelphia-based underdog inspires loyalty from a devoted fanbase hooked on the hardcore wrestling revolution and the sexed-up, controversial storylines created by mad scientist Paul Heyman. The “Big Two” have recognised ECW’s creative success - Eric Bischoff has brought some of the company’s top names into WCW, while Vince McMahon has signed a working agreement with the renegade federation, hoping to gain some of its counter-culture coolness by osmosis. Yet the extreme anarchy that ECW’s fans have come to love has a darker side - the company ended 1996 grappling with the Mass Transit Incident, where an untrained minor was brutally assaulted in the course of a wrestling match. It remains to be seen whether this controversial incident will cost Heyman the goodwill of PPV providers as they approach their first-ever PPV event, Barely Legal.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

Promo Azteca - since 1995, Small Size, 11th in World
Top Stars: Cien Caras, Promo Azteca Owner Konnan, Mascara Ano 2000, Vampiro Canadiense, Mascara Sagrada

Founded as PROMELL by veteran luchador Fuerza Guerrera and initially co-promoting with AAA in the Tijuana region, the company now known as Promo Azteca took on its own life when top AAA star Konnan departed the promotion over issues with pay and management and purchased the promotion from Guerrera. Seeking to establish a home for WCW’s contingent of luchadors to wrestle in between American bookings, the roster has a mix of top young stars like Rey Misterio Jr., Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera, in addition to stalwart veterans of the lucha scene. Still a distant third in the Mexican market next to CMLL and AAA, Konnan’s influence has seen the promotion present a more rebellious and American-inspired product as they seek to distinguish themselves from their rivals.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

USWA United States Wrestling Association - since 1989, Tiny Size, 16th in World
Top Stars: USWA Unified World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton, Mabel

Formed by the merger of two legendary but struggling territories, Memphis’ CWA and Dallas’ WCWA, the USWA has managed to run on the fumes of old school territorial wrestling deep into the 90s. Its regional scope lent itself both towards long-running storylines, keeping the loyal fans coming back week after week, and as an ideal development territory for the WWF, giving future stars of the wrestling industry a chance to shine on a smaller stage. Yet problems are mounting for the USWA - top star and Memphis legend Jerry Lawler is almost 50 and devoting most of his time to the WWF, the Monday Night Wars have made the USWA’s low production values come off as small-time, and dwindling crowds have seen them increasingly running county fairs and flea markets. As financial issues threaten the company, will 1997 be their last stand or the beginning of an old-school wrestling revival?

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Diary Bible II: WWF Championships & Accomplishments

The World Wrestling Federation has a diverse set of championships and accomplishments. This is your introduction to all of them!

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Heavyweight Championship
First Champion:
Buddy Rogers (1963); Current Champion: Sycho Sid (since November 15th 1996); Most Reigns: Hulk Hogan (x5); Longest Reign: Bruno Sammartino (2803 days)

The WWF’s most illustrious championship has been held by a who’s who of sports entertainment greats for almost 35 years. Yet the title’s history can be traced back to the first wrestling world heavyweight championship of 1905 - though following a disputed result between champion Buddy Rogers and challenger Lou Thesz, the WWF created a new lineage that has persisted to this very day. With recent champions including top stars Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and now Sycho Sid, whoever holds this title can indisputably be called “the Man” in the WWF.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Intercontinental Championship
First Champion:
Pat Patterson (1979); Current Champion: Hunter Hearst Helmsley (since October 15th 1996); Most Reigns: Razor Ramon (x4); Longest Reign: Honky Tonk Man (454 days)

Created through the union of the North and South American Championships, the Intercontinental Championship has a prestigious legacy all of its own. The reigns of Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and more have solidified this title as a stepping stone to greatness and as the “workhorse” championship, held by the hardest-working superstars on the WWF roster. Will recent champions Goldust, Ahmed Johnson, Marc Mero and HHH be next to reach the apex of the industry?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Tag Team Championship
First Champions:
Luke Graham & Tarzan Tyler (1971); Current Champions: Owen Hart & British Bulldog (since September 22nd 1996); Most Reigns: Mr. Fuji & Professor Tanaka, The Wild Samoans, Demolition, Money Inc., The Quebecers & The Smoking Gunns (x3); Longest Reign: Demolition (478 days)

The WWF’s top title for tandems has an impressive 25 year legacy of tag team war waged. Tag team competition requires teamwork, coordination and strategy, along with less honourable tactics like distracting the referee or double-team attacks. Current champions and brothers-in-law Owen Hart and British Bulldog are bound by blood and each have seen success both as singles and tag team competitors, yet the clashing egos of both men threaten to prove the downfall of their title reign.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Royal Rumble
First Winner:
Jim Duggan (1988); Latest Winner: Shawn Michaels (1996); Most Wins: Hulk Hogan & Shawn Michaels (x2)

The winner of this annual 30 man over-the-top rope extravaganza not only gains a respected career accomplishment but punches their ticket to a World Heavyweight Championship match in the main event of Wrestlemania. Shawn Michaels has won the last two Rumbles back to back, most notably entering from the number 1 spot and outlasting 29 men in 1995. With Michaels set to face Sycho Sid for the World Heavyweight Championship in this January’s Royal Rumble PPV, the stage is clear for any number of a packed field of entrants to win the Rumble and face Sid or Shawn at Wrestlemania 13!

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF King of the Ring
First Winner:
Don Muraco (1985); Latest Winner: Stone Cold (1996); Most Wins: Bret Hart (x2)

Wrestling’s most prolific single-elimination tournament has crowned wrestling royalty - from capping off the storied careers of Don Muraco and Harley Race to heralding the rises of Bret and Owen Hart. The King of the Ring tournament’s starmaking power was proven in last year’s edition, when Stone Cold Steve Austin famously rejected the pomp and circumstance of his win in favour of a blistering and iconic “Austin 3:16” promo. With the next tournament scheduled to take place in June, who will be 1997's star on the ascent?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

Million Dollar Championship
First Champion:
Ted DiBiase (1989); Current Champion: VACANT; Most Reigns: Ted DiBiase (x2)

Elegantly crafted and yet undeniably ostentatious, this unsanctioned glimmering gold belt was created by the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase when his goals of purchasing the WWF World Heavyweight Championship were thwarted. The title was most recently held last year by DiBiase protege Steve Austin, but as the fiery Texan embraced his Stone Cold persona, he cast the belt aside as an unwanted albatross around his neck. With DiBiase now appearing on WCW programming, is this the end of the WWF’s most expensive if not most valuable prize?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Women’s Championship
First Champion:
The Fabulous Moolah (1956); Current Champion: VACANT; Most Reigns: The Fabulous Moolah & Alundra Blayze (x3); Longest Reign: The Fabulous Moolah (3,651 days)

This once-prestigious prize for female grapplers boasts a lineage predating the WWF itself, with the Fabulous Moolah’s legendary 28 year reign seeing the belt officially adopted by the WWF in 1984. An 80s women’s wrestling scene of Moolah, Wendi Richter, Sensational Sherri and more was followed by a 90s revival featuring Alundra Blayze squaring off against top Japanese Joshi wrestlers like Bull Nakano. This promising upswing for the women’s division ended with the shocking defection of Blayze to WCW in December 1995, infamously throwing the title belt in the garbage. Still staggering from the blow to this title’s prestige, the WWF have not crowned a new champion and in-fact have quietly abandoned their women’s division altogether.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
First Champion:
Perro Aguayo (1981); Current Champion: Ultimo Dragon (since October 11th 1996); Most Reigns: Perro Aguayo & Villano III (x7); Longest Reign: Villano III (826 days)

In an intriguing historical quirk, this title’s 16 years of lineage have occurred entirely outside of WWF rings, being defended primarily in Mexico and Japan. Fought between competitors of 220lbs or less, the title’s weight limit and international influence have led to champions typifying the exciting lucha libre style of Mexico, hard-hitting puroresu of Japan and even the scientific catch wrestling of the United Kingdom. In 1996, the reigning champion Great Sasuke of Japan created the J-Crown by winning another seven junior heavyweight championships - with his loss to fellow countryman Ultimo Dragon, this WWF title has flown under the radar by appearing on WCW programming as part of the J-Crown.

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

III: Heroic Superstars of the WWF

This entry covers the most notable babyfaces in the WWF heading into 1997 - their history, persona and recent fortunes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bret THE HITMAN Hart
38yrs old, 6’0”, 235lbs - Calgary, AB

With unparalleled mastery of his craft, the Excellence of Execution is revered worldwide as one of the squared circle’s greatest ever in-ring technicians. First joining the WWF in 1984 as part of the iconic Hart Foundation tag team, Bret climbed to the top of the industry over the next ten years, winning every possible championship on the way there. 1996 was not the Hitman’s finest year however - losing his WWF World Heavyweight title to Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XII then departing on a lengthy personal hiatus for much of the year.

Returning to a much-changed WWF after signing an unprecedented 20 year deal, Bret has become an outspoken proponent for tradition and old-fashioned integrity in the sport - placing him on a collision course with the rule-breaking, foul-mouthed “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. Heading into 1997, Bret seeks to win the Royal Rumble and regain his most prized possession, the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, for the fourth time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE HEARTBREAK KID Shawn Michaels
31yrs old, 6’1”, 227lbs - San Antonio, TX

The self-proclaimed Showstopper is an unlikely fan favorite - arrogantly strutting his sequin-covered stuff down the aisle to an anthem proclaiming him a “sexy boy”. Yet for all of Shawn Michaels’ considerable ego, the WWF fans know he can back it up - throughout the 90s, he has captivated audiences with jaw-dropping feats of athleticism and endurance, complete with a showman’s magnetic charisma. And his opponents may not like the conceited “boy toy”, but they certainly have to respect his resume: 3 Intercontinental titles, 2 Tag Team titles, back-to-back Royal Rumble wins, and an epic Iron Man victory over Bret Hart to achieve his boyhood dream of winning the World Heavyweight title.

The Heartbreak Kid enters 1997 seeking to regain his World title from the imposing Sycho Sid before a capacity hometown audience at the Royal Rumble. Yet Michaels’ undeniable talent may still be eclipsed by his well-known backstage issues - having lost his two of his closest Kliq to WCW and struggling with the pressure of being the WWF’s figurehead in the absence of Bret Hart, Michaels cuts an unhappy and increasingly volatile figure in the locker room.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE UNDERTAKER
31yrs old, 6ft 10in, 305lbs - Death Valley, CA

This mysterious and mesmerizing force of nature has seemingly been raised from the dead to do battle against the WWF’s top stars. But the Dead Man is far more than a one-note supernatural persona - through his six years in the WWF, he has cemented a reputation as a truly dominant competitor, a master of mind-games and a former WWF World Heavyweight Champion to boot.

1996 was a year of upheaval for the Phenom - embarking on a grueling and intense feud with the tortured Mankind, the Undertaker was faced with an opponent impervious to pain and every bit as twisted as the Dead Man. A devastating betrayal followed, as Undertaker’s long-time manager Paul Bearer sensed the winds of change and struck Taker with his urn at Summerslam, granting Mankind a second consecutive victory over him.

Reinventing himself as the brash and gothic “Lord of Darkness”, the Undertaker’s new mean streak led to victories over Bearer’s charges Mankind and the Executioner. After finally avenging his betrayal, the Undertaker now finds himself in the sights of the monstrous Mastodon, Vader.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE PEARL RIVER POWERHOUSE Ahmed Johnson
33yrs old, 6ft 2in, 305lbs - Pearl River, MO

Ahmed Johnson certainly knows how to make an entrance - his first appearance on Raw in late 1995 saw him confront a ring full of warring wrestlers and slam the gargantuan Yokozuna without breaking a sweat. Soon proving himself one of the WWF’s most dominant and explosive superstars, Ahmed embarked on a meteoric rise to the top that saw him dethrone Goldust to become the first African-American WWF Intercontinental Championship at 1996’s King of the Ring event.

Set to challenge Shawn Michaels for the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam, Ahmed’s unprecedented rookie year came to a screeching halt after a brutal assault from a jealous Faarooq, causing a kidney injury and forcing him to vacate the Intercontinental Championship. Now medically cleared to compete again, the smashmouth Pearl River Powerhouse is on the warpath with Faarooq and his Nation of Domination faction - and whatever the outcome of their bitter feud will be, it certainly won’t be pretty.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE BIZARRE ONE Goldust
27yrs old, 6ft 6in, 260lbs - Hollywood, CA

Flamboyant. Androgynous. Provocative. Much ink has been spilled by wrestling’s pearl-clutching old guard about the Bizarre One, but they can’t deny that Goldust is one of the WWF’s most revolutionary and successful personas. Clad in a glittering golden bodysuit that leaves little to the imagination, this master of mental manipulation has stalked, caressed and even kissed his opponents in a quest for any psychological edge. His unorthodox tactics have brought him championship success, winning the Intercontinental title on two occasions.

Recently WWF fans have seen a more human and relatable side of the Bizarre One however - his cigar-smoking director Marlena has attracted the attention of reigning Intercontinental Champion Hunter Hearst Helmseley, who has sought to woo the blonde bombshell with ostentatious displays of wealth. Setting aside his enigmatic persona, Goldust has stood up for his woman against these unwanted advances - and if he can win back his gold from the blustering Blueblood, all the better.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MIGHTY Yokozuna
30yrs old, 6ft 4in, 621lbs - The Land of the Rising Sun

If Andre the Giant is the 8th Wonder of the World, this imposing sumo must surely be the 9th - possessing a combination of awe-inspiring girth, incredible power and unbelievable agility. To date, the master of the Banzai Drop has held the World Heavyweight and World Tag Team titles twice apiece along with a dominant Royal Rumble win.

Yet Yokozuna’s 1996 was marred with infighting amid Camp Cornette. The colossal sumo feuded with Cornette’s new acquisition, the monstrous Vader, suffering a broken leg following a brutal splash from the Mastodon. Now tipping the scales at over 600lbs, Yokozuna’s uncanny agility has suffered and he has now entered a period of indefinite hiatus as WWF officials support his efforts to lose weight and improve his physical conditioning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE WILDMAN Marc Mero
36yrs old, 6ft 1in, 235lbs - Buffalo, NY

The electrifying Wildman burst onto the WWF scene at Wrestlemania 12, rescuing the sensational Sable from an abusive Hunter Hearst Helmsley. The pairing of Mero’s thrilling high-flying offense and Sable’s knock-down good looks soon proved a winning combination, as Mero reached the semi-final of the King of the Ring tournament and later won the Intercontinental Championship.

The WWF’s resident “1-2 Punch” hit a snag when Mero dropped the Intercontinental title to Hunter Hearst Helmsley by crooked means. Mero most recently scored a count-out victory over the Greenwich Blueblood but left without the title. Mero and Sable’s colorful pairing promises to reach greater heights than ever in 1997.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jake THE SNAKE Roberts
41yrs old, 6ft 5in, 249lbs - Stone Mountain, GA

Ice water runs through the veins of the Snake - he’s cold, calculated and loves to play mind games with unlucky opponents. Known for his iconic DDT finishing move and his ever-present python Damien, Roberts has carved out a high-profile career throughout the 80s and 90s yet has so far failed to win any of the WWF’s championships or accomplishments.

Jake will be the first to admit he has done unspeakable things to his opponents over the years, but in 1996 the Snake turned over a new leaf as he returned to the WWF as a born again Christian with a renewed sense of purpose. Jake’s newfound divine inspiration met a bitter end after Stone Cold bested him in the King of the Ring finals, and Roberts’ well-known personal issues have resurfaced following a controversial feud with Jerry Lawler. Will 1997 be a fall from grace for the Snake, or will it be his second coming?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE PRIDE OF PUERTO RICO Savio Vega
30yrs old, 5ft 10in, 256lbs - San Juan, PR

Entering the WWF as a childhood friend and ally of Razor Ramon, the fiery Savio Vega soon proved himself a true solo act by reaching the finals of 1995’s King of the Ring tournament in his first attempt. Vega wears his Puerto Rican heritage proudly - on his colorful gear, through his energetic entrance music, and through a relentless feud throughout 1996 with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Though Vega got the better of Austin and later Justin Hawk Bradshaw in his signature Caribbean Strap match, he has so far failed to translate his momentum into championship success. Two weeks ago on Monday Night Raw, the makeshift alliance of Vega and Jesse Jammes failed to best the well-oiled machine of World Tag Team Champions Owen Hart and British Bulldog, and so Vega enters 1997 with the respect of WWF fans but without clear direction.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE STALKER
36yrs old, 6ft 5in, 273lbs - The Environment

For weeks, ominous vignettes filmed in the depths of a dark wilderness warned of the arrival of the Stalker, a deranged master huntsman prowling the woods in camouflage, searching for the ultimate prey. Reality is often disappointing however, as after debuting with little fanfare, the Stalker was famously roasted by Steve Austin on color commentary: “Everyone knows it’s Barry Windham with paint on his face, is he embarrassed or what?”

Though Barry Windham is a well-respected veteran of the squared circle and former two-time WWF World Tag Team Champion to boot, the Stalker’s mysterious persona has so far failed to land with the WWF fans or with his opponents. Ending 1996 with a loss to Phineas I. Godwinn on Superstars, it seems likely that Windham will have to reinvent himself again if he is to regain any sense of momentum.

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 6

On 8/18/2024 at 3:45 PM, blaustein said:

Diary Bible I: The World of Wrestling in 1997

This entry provides an intro to the major wrestling promotions at the start of 1997 - their history, their products and their fortunes heading into a new year.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WCW World Championship Wrestling - since 1988, Big Size, 1st in World
Top Stars: WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hollywood Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Randy Savage, WCW World Tag Team Champion Kevin Nash

WCW is truly “Where the Big Boys Play”. The Turner-owned wrestling promotion has a rich heritage dating back to the NWA days but had never achieved the mainstream exposure and commercial success of the WWF - until now. Featuring a star-studded roster of industry legends and hungry young talent, the company has lured top ex-WWF stars “down south” in addition to top talent from ECW, Japan and Mexico. Airing live in primetime for two hours every week, their flagship broadcast Monday Nitro goes head to head with WWF’s Monday Night Raw - and more often than not wins the ratings battle. Featuring the groundbreaking New World Order faction, the innovative Cruiserweight division and a compelling and brooding new version of company franchise Sting, 1997 is poised to be their best year yet.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Wrestling Federation - since 1952, Medium Size, 2nd in World
Top Stars: Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, WWF World Heavyweight Champion Sycho Sid, Steve Austin

In pop culture, the words “professional wrestling” and “WWF” are close to synonymous. The McMahon family have promoted wrestling throughout the 20th Century, but when Vince McMahon Jr. took the reins in 1982, his bold new creative direction and ruthless business acumen propelled the WWF from regional powerhouse to national phenomenon. Hulkamania, the Rock and Wrestling Connection and Wrestlemania became staples of the 80s wrestling boom, but some say that McMahon has not changed sufficiently with the times. In 1997, the WWF has fallen behind their rival WCW in television ratings and critical success, and their programming has become safe, formulaic and hackneyed. Things could be better - the WWF has a very promising talent roster and McMahon is looking to ECW and others for creative inspiration. Will 1997 be the year Titan turns it around?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

NJPW New Japan Pro Wrestling - since 1972, Big Size, 3rd in World
Top Stars: NJPW President Antonio Inoki, IWGP Heavyweight Champion Shinya Hashimoto, Keiji Mutoh, IWGP Tag Team Champion Masahiro Chono, Riki Choshu

Heading into 1997, the King of Sports is at the height of its popularity in Japan, with its trademark hard-hitting “Strong Style” having passed from the founding generation of Antonio Inoki and Tatsumi Fujinami to the so-called Three Musketeers: the brave and bulky Shinya Hashimoto, the charismatic and savvy Masahiro Chono and international superstar Keiji Mutoh, known the world over as the Great Muta. Some of NJPW’s most successful angles have come from co-promoting with other Japanese promotions, such as the UWFi invasion storyline that was said to have inspired Eric Bischoff to create the nWo, and the unification of 8 junior heavyweight championships to create the J-Crown title. With an eye on the international scene, Inoki has fostered a strong working relationship with WCW that has been mutually beneficial to both promotions, including the crossover nWo Japan faction.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AJPW All Japan Pro Wrestling - since 1972, Medium Size, 4th in World
Top Stars: AJPW President Giant Baba, Mitsuhara Misawa, Stan Hansen, Toshiaki Kawada, AJPW Unified World Tag Team Champion Steve Williams

One of the most respected and prestigious names in pro wrestling, AJPW is synonymous with the “King’s Road” style of epic and intense bouts, star gaijin talent from the USA, and the legendary Four Pillars of Heaven: Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada and Taue, who seem to produce five-star classics in any combination of singles or tag team wrestling. The 90s have been a period of enormous success for the company, but the cracks are beginning to show - the grueling “King’s Road” style continues to escalate to what could be unsustainable levels, Giant Baba sticks rigidly to an isolationist policy where his rivals embrace working relationships, and they have little answer to the junior heavyweight wrestling boom of other Japanese rivals. AJPW is poised for a great 1997, but are their best days behind them?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

CMLL Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre - since 1935, Medium Size, 5th in World
Top Stars: El Hijo Del Santo, CMLL World Heavyweight Champion Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Dos Caras, Negro Casas, CMLL World Light Heavyweight Champion Dr. Wagner Jr.

The oldest active professional wrestling promotion in the world has presented a timeless traditional form of lucha libre for over 60 years - beloved tecnicos versus cunning rudos, colorful characters and costumes and legendary rivalries ending with luchas de apeustas with masks and hair on the line. As the promotion owns its own venues including the iconic Arena Mexico, it has so far weathered the recent downturn in the Mexican peso and has not seen it necessary to ally with overseas promotions like its rivals. Going into 1997, CMLL may not be the most innovative or exciting promotion around, but they’re undoubtedly one of the safest and most stable.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AAA Asistencia Asesoria Y Administracion - since 1992, Small Size, 7th in World
Top Stars: Blue Demon Jr., Perro Aguayo, Villano IV, Octagon, Villano III

A young but prolific company, AAA was created less than five years ago when CMLL booker Antonio Pena’s dissatisfaction led to him forming his own rival promotion, taking much of the younger talent with him. With a more contemporary approach and a willingness to do deals with international promotions, AAA achieved its high point in 1994 with When Worlds Collide, with a sold-out crowd of 13,000 in Los Angeles witnessing the very best of lucha libre - though this proved a poisoned chalice in the long-run. Top AAA stars were booked in ECW and later WCW, and the combination of the weak peso and issues with management led to another exodus of younger talent through the creation of Promo Azteca and the loss of the WCW working relationship. AAA still has a versatile roster of veterans and up and comers, and a new working relationship with the WWF makes 1997 a year of many possibilities.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

AJW All Japan Women’s Pro Wrestling - since 1968, Small Size, 8th in World
Top Stars: WWWA World Tag Team Champion Manami Toyota, WWWA World Singles Champion Kyoko Inoue, Aja Kong, Reggie Bennett, Yumiko Hotta

A pioneering force in the genre of joshi puroresu (female pro wrestling), AJW is known for a fast-paced and hard-hitting style featuring wrestlers and matches that are on par if not better than any mens promotion globally. Yet 1997 is a period of uncertainty for the founding Matsunaga Brothers - the stars of their late 80s/early 90s boom period have retired, moved to other promotions or started to wind down their careers, and their shoes are proving difficult to fill. Competition from other joshi promotions and financial difficulties from fading attendance are also threatening the company’s dominance in the women’s wrestling market. It remains to be seen whether AJW can turn things around or whether all that remains is their legendary but increasingly distant glory days.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

ECW Extreme Championship Wrestling - since 1992, Small Size, 10th in World
Top Stars: Terry Funk, ECW World Heavyweight Champion Raven, Sabu, Taz, ECW World Television Champion Shane Douglas

A cult promotion in every sense of the word, this scrappy Philadelphia-based underdog inspires loyalty from a devoted fanbase hooked on the hardcore wrestling revolution and the sexed-up, controversial storylines created by mad scientist Paul Heyman. The “Big Two” have recognised ECW’s creative success - Eric Bischoff has brought some of the company’s top names into WCW, while Vince McMahon has signed a working agreement with the renegade federation, hoping to gain some of its counter-culture coolness by osmosis. Yet the extreme anarchy that ECW’s fans have come to love has a darker side - the company ended 1996 grappling with the Mass Transit Incident, where an untrained minor was brutally assaulted in the course of a wrestling match. It remains to be seen whether this controversial incident will cost Heyman the goodwill of PPV providers as they approach their first-ever PPV event, Barely Legal.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

Promo Azteca - since 1995, Small Size, 11th in World
Top Stars: Cien Caras, Promo Azteca Owner Konnan, Mascara Ano 2000, Vampiro Canadiense, Mascara Sagrada

Founded as PROMELL by veteran luchador Fuerza Guerrera and initially co-promoting with AAA in the Tijuana region, the company now known as Promo Azteca took on its own life when top AAA star Konnan departed the promotion over issues with pay and management and purchased the promotion from Guerrera. Seeking to establish a home for WCW’s contingent of luchadors to wrestle in between American bookings, the roster has a mix of top young stars like Rey Misterio Jr., Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera, in addition to stalwart veterans of the lucha scene. Still a distant third in the Mexican market next to CMLL and AAA, Konnan’s influence has seen the promotion present a more rebellious and American-inspired product as they seek to distinguish themselves from their rivals.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

USWA United States Wrestling Association - since 1989, Tiny Size, 16th in World
Top Stars: USWA Unified World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton, Mabel

Formed by the merger of two legendary but struggling territories, Memphis’ CWA and Dallas’ WCWA, the USWA has managed to run on the fumes of old school territorial wrestling deep into the 90s. Its regional scope lent itself both towards long-running storylines, keeping the loyal fans coming back week after week, and as an ideal development territory for the WWF, giving future stars of the wrestling industry a chance to shine on a smaller stage. Yet problems are mounting for the USWA - top star and Memphis legend Jerry Lawler is almost 50 and devoting most of his time to the WWF, the Monday Night Wars have made the USWA’s low production values come off as small-time, and dwindling crowds have seen them increasingly running county fairs and flea markets. As financial issues threaten the company, will 1997 be their last stand or the beginning of an old-school wrestling revival?

This is an impressive Bible you made. I'm sorry about my earlier comment that diaries based around the attitude era like these aren't needed, i didn't mean to upset people I just meant that's it's difficult to think of new ways to improve this peticular timeline. This was what drove wwf back from the brink of bankruptcy that WCW left them in so it's hard to imagine where to go up from there. I'll try to help share ideas and suggestions as a way to make up for it okay?

First things first, with these companies the name of the game is working relationships. Wcw's working with njpw and Promo Azteca while wwf's got deals with AAA, ecw and uswa but the later is closing down so a replacement is in order. Baba's isolationism mean there a no go but that doesn't mean you can't poach or sign some of their gaijin talent. I'll write up a some names that you should shortlist later but the the company that you should negotiate with is all Japan Women's Pro Wrestling. A relationship with them would help fix one of the attitude era original sins but I'll get to that when we talk about titles.

On 8/18/2024 at 3:53 PM, blaustein said:

Diary Bible II: WWF Championships & Accomplishments

The World Wrestling Federation has a diverse set of championships and accomplishments. This is your introduction to all of them!

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Heavyweight Championship
First Champion:
Buddy Rogers (1963); Current Champion: Sycho Sid (since November 15th 1996); Most Reigns: Hulk Hogan (x5); Longest Reign: Bruno Sammartino (2803 days)

The WWF’s most illustrious championship has been held by a who’s who of sports entertainment greats for almost 35 years. Yet the title’s history can be traced back to the first wrestling world heavyweight championship of 1905 - though following a disputed result between champion Buddy Rogers and challenger Lou Thesz, the WWF created a new lineage that has persisted to this very day. With recent champions including top stars Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and now Sycho Sid, whoever holds this title can indisputably be called “the Man” in the WWF.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Intercontinental Championship
First Champion:
Pat Patterson (1979); Current Champion: Hunter Hearst Helmsley (since October 15th 1996); Most Reigns: Razor Ramon (x4); Longest Reign: Honky Tonk Man (454 days)

Created through the union of the North and South American Championships, the Intercontinental Championship has a prestigious legacy all of its own. The reigns of Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and more have solidified this title as a stepping stone to greatness and as the “workhorse” championship, held by the hardest-working superstars on the WWF roster. Will recent champions Goldust, Ahmed Johnson, Marc Mero and HHH be next to reach the apex of the industry?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF World Tag Team Championship
First Champions:
Luke Graham & Tarzan Tyler (1971); Current Champions: Owen Hart & British Bulldog (since September 22nd 1996); Most Reigns: Mr. Fuji & Professor Tanaka, The Wild Samoans, Demolition, Money Inc., The Quebecers & The Smoking Gunns (x3); Longest Reign: Demolition (478 days)

The WWF’s top title for tandems has an impressive 25 year legacy of tag team war waged. Tag team competition requires teamwork, coordination and strategy, along with less honourable tactics like distracting the referee or double-team attacks. Current champions and brothers-in-law Owen Hart and British Bulldog are bound by blood and each have seen success both as singles and tag team competitors, yet the clashing egos of both men threaten to prove the downfall of their title reign.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Royal Rumble
First Winner:
Jim Duggan (1988); Latest Winner: Shawn Michaels (1996); Most Wins: Hulk Hogan & Shawn Michaels (x2)

The winner of this annual 30 man over-the-top rope extravaganza not only gains a respected career accomplishment but punches their ticket to a World Heavyweight Championship match in the main event of Wrestlemania. Shawn Michaels has won the last Rumbles back to back, most notably entering from the number 1 spot and outlasting 29 men in 1995. With Michaels set to face Sycho Sid for the World Heavyweight Championship in this January’s Royal Rumble PPV, the stage is clear for any number of a packed field of entrants to win the Rumble and face Sid or Shawn at Wrestlemania 13!

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF King of the Ring
First Winner:
Don Muraco (1985); Latest Winner: Stone Cold (1996); Most Wins: Bret Hart (x2)

Wrestling’s most prolific single-elimination tournament has crowned wrestling royalty - from capping off the storied careers of Don Muraco and Harley Race to heralding the rises of Bret and Owen Hart. The King of the Ring tournament’s starmaking power was proven in last year’s edition, when Stone Cold Steve Austin famously rejected the pomp and circumstance of his win in favour of a blistering and iconic “Austin 3:16” promo. With the next tournament scheduled to take place in June, who will be 1997's star on the ascent?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

Million Dollar Championship
First Champion:
Ted DiBiase (1989); Current Champion: VACANT; Most Reigns: Ted DiBiase (x2)

Elegantly crafted and yet undeniably ostentatious, this unsanctioned glimmering gold belt was created by the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase when his goals of purchasing the WWF World Heavyweight Championship were thwarted. The title was most recently held last year by DiBiase protege Steve Austin, but as the fiery Texan embraced his Stone Cold persona, he cast the belt aside as an unwanted albatross around his neck. With DiBiase now appearing on WCW programming, is this the end of the WWF’s most expensive if not most valuable prize?

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Women’s Championship
First Champion:
The Fabulous Moolah (1956); Current Champion: VACANT; Most Reigns: The Fabulous Moolah & Alundra Blayze (x3); Longest Reign: The Fabulous Moolah (3,651 days)

This once-prestigious prize for female grapplers boasts a lineage predating the WWF itself, with the Fabulous Moolah’s legendary 28 year reign seeing the belt officially adopted by the WWF in 1984. An 80s women’s wrestling scene of Moolah, Wendi Richter, Sensational Sherri and more was followed by a 90s revival featuring Alundra Blayze squaring off against top Japanese Joshi wrestlers like Bull Nakano. This promising upswing for the women’s division ended with the shocking defection of Blayze to WCW in December 1995, infamously throwing the title belt in the garbage. Still staggering from the blow to this title’s prestige, the WWF have not crowned a new champion and in-fact have quietly abandoned their women’s division altogether.

a68EQJK.jpeg

image.jpeg

WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
First Champion:
Perro Aguayo (1981); Current Champion: Ultimo Dragon (since October 11th 1996); Most Reigns: Perro Aguayo & Villano III (x7); Longest Reign: Villano III (826 days)

In an intriguing historical quirk, this title’s 16 years of lineage have occurred entirely outside of WWF rings, being defended primarily in Mexico and Japan. Fought between competitors of 220lbs or less, the title’s weight limit and international influence have led to champions typifying the exciting lucha libre style of Mexico, hard-hitting puroresu of Japan and even the scientific catch wrestling of the United Kingdom. In 1996, the reigning champion Great Sasuke of Japan created the J-Crown by winning another seven junior heavyweight championships - with his loss to fellow countryman Ultimo Dragon, this WWF title has flown under the radar by appearing on WCW programming as part of the J-Crown.

And not much change here, the top 3 belts stay the same, million dollar Championship is retired for the European title but for the women's title, this is where a partnership with all Japan Women's comes into play.

See women’s wrestling(if you can call it that) Was more about fan service like Sable winning a bikini contest wearing painted on hand pasties over her breast or miss kitty flashing the crowd. People tend to lump in the women’s wrestling boom period in with the attitude era but in truth it wasn't very kind to them. The women’s division  was only resurrected to give Sable something to do after she proved popular with her beauty and charisma which lead to bra and panty catfights and t&a over actual wrestling with the belt placed on inexperienced models. Yes, names like Trish stratus, Lita, Molly Holly and Victoria got their start around this time but it was only when we got the ruthless aggression era that their careers took off. With ajw as a partner you could use them to build an actual division with aja kong and manami Toyota at the forefront and later give the girls early training.

14 hours ago, blaustein said:

III: Heroic Superstars of the WWF

This entry covers the most notable babyfaces in the WWF heading into 1997 - their history, persona and recent fortunes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bret THE HITMAN Hart
38yrs old, 6’0”, 235lbs - Calgary, AB

With unparalleled mastery of his craft, the Excellence of Execution is revered worldwide as one of the squared circle’s greatest ever in-ring technicians. First joining the WWF in 1984 as part of the iconic Hart Foundation tag team, Bret climbed to the top of the industry over the next ten years, winning every possible championship on the way there. 1996 was not the Hitman’s finest year however - losing his WWF World Heavyweight title to Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XII then departing on a lengthy personal hiatus for much of the year.

Returning to a much-changed WWF after signing an unprecedented 20 year deal, Bret has become an outspoken proponent for tradition and old-fashioned integrity in the sport - placing him on a collision course with the rule-breaking, foul-mouthed “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. Heading into 1997, Bret seeks to win the Royal Rumble and regain his most prized possession, the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, for the fourth time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE HEARTBREAK KID Shawn Michaels
31yrs old, 6’1”, 227lbs - San Antonio, TX

The self-proclaimed Showstopper is an unlikely fan favorite - arrogantly strutting his sequin-covered stuff down the aisle to an anthem proclaiming him a “sexy boy”. Yet for all of Shawn Michaels’ considerable ego, the WWF fans know he can back it up - throughout the 90s, he has captivated audiences with jaw-dropping feats of athleticism and endurance, complete with a showman’s magnetic charisma. And his opponents may not like the conceited “boy toy”, but they certainly have to respect his resume: 3 Intercontinental titles, 2 Tag Team titles, back-to-back Royal Rumble wins, and an epic Iron Man victory over Bret Hart to achieve his boyhood dream of winning the World Heavyweight title.

The Heartbreak Kid enters 1997 seeking to regain his World title from the imposing Sycho Sid before a capacity hometown audience at the Royal Rumble. Yet Michaels’ undeniable talent may still be eclipsed by his well-known backstage issues - having lost his two of his closest Kliq to WCW and struggling with the pressure of being the WWF’s figurehead in the absence of Bret Hart, Michaels cuts an unhappy and increasingly volatile figure in the locker room.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE UNDERTAKER
31yrs old, 6ft 10in, 305lbs - Death Valley, CA

This mysterious and mesmerizing force of nature has seemingly been raised from the dead to do battle against the WWF’s top stars. But the Dead Man is far more than a one-note supernatural persona - through his six years in the WWF, he has cemented a reputation as a truly dominant competitor, a master of mind-games and a former WWF World Heavyweight Champion to boot.

1996 was a year of upheaval for the Phenom - embarking on a grueling and intense feud with the tortured Mankind, the Undertaker was faced with an opponent impervious to pain and every bit as twisted as the Dead Man. A devastating betrayal followed, as Undertaker’s long-time manager Paul Bearer sensed the winds of change and struck Taker with his urn at Summerslam, granting Mankind a second consecutive victory over him.

Reinventing himself as the brash and gothic “Lord of Darkness”, the Undertaker’s new mean streak led to victories over Bearer’s charges Mankind and the Executioner. After finally avenging his betrayal, the Undertaker now finds himself in the sights of the monstrous Mastodon, Vader.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE PEARL RIVER POWERHOUSE Ahmed Johnson
33yrs old, 6ft 2in, 305lbs - Pearl River, MO

Ahmed Johnson certainly knows how to make an entrance - his first appearance on Raw in late 1995 saw him confront a ring full of warring wrestlers and slam the gargantuan Yokozuna without breaking a sweat. Soon proving himself one of the WWF’s most dominant and explosive superstars, Ahmed embarked on a meteoric rise to the top that saw him dethrone Goldust to become the first African-American WWF Intercontinental Championship at 1996’s King of the Ring event.

Set to challenge Shawn Michaels for the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam, Ahmed’s unprecedented rookie year came to a screeching halt after a brutal assault from a jealous Faarooq, causing a kidney injury and forcing him to vacate the Intercontinental Championship. Now medically cleared to compete again, the smashmouth Pearl River Powerhouse is on the warpath with Faarooq and his Nation of Domination faction - and whatever the outcome of their bitter feud will be, it certainly won’t be pretty.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE BIZARRE ONE Goldust
27yrs old, 6ft 6in, 260lbs - Hollywood, CA

Flamboyant. Androgynous. Provocative. Much ink has been spilled by wrestling’s pearl-clutching old guard about the Bizarre One, but they can’t deny that Goldust is one of the WWF’s most revolutionary and successful personas. Clad in a glittering golden bodysuit that leaves little to the imagination, this master of mental manipulation has stalked, caressed and even kissed his opponents in a quest for any psychological edge. His unorthodox tactics have brought him championship success, winning the Intercontinental title on two occasions.

Recently WWF fans have seen a more human and relatable side of the Bizarre One however - his cigar-smoking director Marlena has attracted the attention of reigning Intercontinental Champion Hunter Hearst Helmseley, who has sought to woo the blonde bombshell with ostentatious displays of wealth. Setting aside his enigmatic persona, Goldust has stood up for his woman against these unwanted advances - and if he can win back his gold from the blustering Blueblood, all the better.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MIGHTY Yokozuna
30yrs old, 6ft 4in, 621lbs - The Land of the Rising Sun

If Andre the Giant is the 8th Wonder of the World, this imposing sumo must surely be the 9th - possessing a combination of awe-inspiring girth, incredible power and unbelievable agility. To date, the master of the Banzai Drop has held the World Heavyweight and World Tag Team titles twice apiece along with a dominant Royal Rumble win.

Yet Yokozuna’s 1996 was marred with infighting amid Camp Cornette. The colossal sumo feuded with Cornette’s new acquisition, the monstrous Vader, suffering a broken leg following a brutal splash from the Mastodon. Now tipping the scales at over 600lbs, Yokozuna’s uncanny agility has suffered and he has now entered a period of indefinite hiatus as WWF officials support his efforts to lose weight and improve his physical conditioning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE WILDMAN Marc Mero
36yrs old, 6ft 1in, 235lbs - Buffalo, NY

The electrifying Wildman burst onto the WWF scene at Wrestlemania 12, rescuing the sensational Sable from an abusive Hunter Hearst Helmsley. The pairing of Mero’s thrilling high-flying offense and Sable’s knock-down good looks soon proved a winning combination, as Mero reached the semi-final of the King of the Ring tournament and later won the Intercontinental Championship.

The WWF’s resident “1-2 Punch” hit a snag when Mero dropped the Intercontinental title to Hunter Hearst Helmsley by crooked means. Mero most recently scored a count-out victory over the Greenwich Blueblood but left without the title. Mero and Sable’s colorful pairing promises to reach greater heights than ever in 1997.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jake THE SNAKE Roberts
41yrs old, 6ft 5in, 249lbs - Stone Mountain, GA

Ice water runs through the veins of the Snake - he’s cold, calculated and loves to play mind games with unlucky opponents. Known for his iconic DDT finishing move and his ever-present python Damien, Roberts has carved out a high-profile career throughout the 80s and 90s yet has so far failed to win any of the WWF’s championships or accomplishments.

Jake will be the first to admit he has done unspeakable things to his opponents over the years, but in 1996 the Snake turned over a new leaf as he returned to the WWF as a born again Christian with a renewed sense of purpose. Jake’s newfound divine inspiration met a bitter end after Stone Cold bested him in the King of the Ring finals, and Roberts’ well-known personal issues have resurfaced following a controversial feud with Jerry Lawler. Will 1997 be a fall from grace for the Snake, or will it be his second coming?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE PRIDE OF PUERTO RICO Savio Vega
30yrs old, 5ft 10in, 256lbs - San Juan, PR

Entering the WWF as a childhood friend and ally of Razor Ramon, the fiery Savio Vega soon proved himself a true solo act by reaching the finals of 1995’s King of the Ring tournament in his first attempt. Vega wears his Puerto Rican heritage proudly - on his colorful gear, through his energetic entrance music, and through a relentless feud throughout 1996 with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Though Vega got the better of Austin and later Justin Hawk Bradshaw in his signature Caribbean Strap match, he has so far failed to translate his momentum into championship success. Two weeks ago on Monday Night Raw, the makeshift alliance of Vega and Jesse Jammes failed to best the well-oiled machine of World Tag Team Champions Owen Hart and British Bulldog, and so Vega enters 1997 with the respect of WWF fans but without clear direction.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE STALKER
36yrs old, 6ft 5in, 273lbs - The Environment

For weeks, ominous vignettes filmed in the depths of a dark wilderness warned of the arrival of the Stalker, a deranged master huntsman prowling the woods in camouflage, searching for the ultimate prey. Reality is often disappointing however, as after debuting with little fanfare, the Stalker was famously roasted by Steve Austin on color commentary: “Everyone knows it’s Barry Windham with paint on his face, is he embarrassed or what?”

Though Barry Windham is a well-respected veteran of the squared circle and former two-time WWF World Tag Team Champion to boot, the Stalker’s mysterious persona has so far failed to land with the WWF fans or with his opponents. Ending 1996 with a loss to Phineas I. Godwinn on Superstars, it seems likely that Windham will have to reinvent himself again if he is to regain any sense of momentum.

And finally we get to the roster. Like Jericho said, wwf at this time had stellar main eventers but a so-so undercard. You already got what you need out of Michaels, Hart and Taker this year so no changes necessary. Same with marc Mero, he's gotta fall so Sable can rise. Ahmed pretty much become injury prone after this so he'll be cut loose or sent or sent to ecw who would take over as wwf pseudo developmental league after uswa closes. Same for Jake Roberts and Yokozuna, their drinking and weight problems did it in form them but under Paul heyman they might get better. Instead of doing the artist formally known thing Goldust would go back to being Dustin Rhodes and signs with Cornette and Jarrett as part if a new, better nwa invasion. And as for Windham he supposed to start the new blackjacks with Bradshaw but instead of that they become an early version of the apa?

And now here's the shortlist of wrestlers I think you should keep an eye out.

Bobby Duncan jr.

Bradshaw 

Dr death steve Williams

Gary Albright 

Hayabusa

Jinsei shinzaki

Johnny ace

Patriot

Rob Van dam

Sabu

Sean Morley 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonny912 said:

This is an impressive Bible you made. I'm sorry about my earlier comment that diaries based around the attitude era like these aren't needed, i didn't mean to upset people I just meant that's it's difficult to think of new ways to improve this peticular timeline. This was what drove wwf back from the brink of bankruptcy that WCW left them in so it's hard to imagine where to go up from there. I'll try to help share ideas and suggestions as a way to make up for it okay?

First things first, with these companies the name of the game is working relationships. Wcw's working with njpw and Promo Azteca while wwf's got deals with AAA, ecw and uswa but the later is closing down so a replacement is in order. Baba's isolationism mean there a no go but that doesn't mean you can't poach or sign some of their gaijin talent. I'll write up a some names that you should shortlist later but the the company that you should negotiate with is all Japan Women's Pro Wrestling. A relationship with them would help fix one of the attitude era original sins but I'll get to that when we talk about titles.

And not much change here, the top 3 belts stay the same, million dollar Championship is retired for the European title but for the women's title, this is where a partnership with all Japan Women's comes into play.

See women’s wrestling(if you can call it that) Was more about fan service like Sable winning a bikini contest wearing painted on hand pasties over her breast or miss kitty flashing the crowd. People tend to lump in the women’s wrestling boom period in with the attitude era but in truth it wasn't very kind to them. The women’s division  was only resurrected to give Sable something to do after she proved popular with her beauty and charisma which lead to bra and panty catfights and t&a over actual wrestling with the belt placed on inexperienced models. Yes, names like Trish stratus, Lita, Molly Holly and Victoria got their start around this time but it was only when we got the ruthless aggression era that their careers took off. With ajw as a partner you could use them to build an actual division with aja kong and manami Toyota at the forefront and later give the girls early training.

And finally we get to the roster. Like Jericho said, wwf at this time had stellar main eventers but a so-so undercard. You already got what you need out of Michaels, Hart and Taker this year so no changes necessary. Same with marc Mero, he's gotta fall so Sable can rise. Ahmed pretty much become injury prone after this so he'll be cut loose or sent or sent to ecw who would take over as wwf pseudo developmental league after uswa closes. Same for Jake Roberts and Yokozuna, their drinking and weight problems did it in form them but under Paul heyman they might get better. Instead of doing the artist formally known thing Goldust would go back to being Dustin Rhodes and signs with Cornette and Jarrett as part if a new, better nwa invasion. And as for Windham he supposed to start the new blackjacks with Bradshaw but instead of that they become an early version of the apa?

And now here's the shortlist of wrestlers I think you should keep an eye out.

Bobby Duncan jr.

Bradshaw 

Dr death steve Williams

Gary Albright 

Hayabusa

Jinsei shinzaki

Johnny ace

Patriot

Rob Van dam

Sabu

Sean Morley 

No worries at all! It’s my job to put an interesting spin on things. That doesn’t necessarily mean better or worse but sometimes just different!

I definitely do want to relaunch the women’s division eventually, and AJW are definitely the right shout. The WWF’s working agreements with ECW and especially AAA are things I want to explore in more in depth first - both of these largely vanished by mid-97 thanks to ego issues from RVD and Sabu, and WWF just not knowing what to do with luchadors.

There are some interesting what-ifs with the likes of Ahmed, Jake and Yoko hanging on until later on in the Attitude Era, but their real-life issues definitely prevented that. They are set up with their appropriate injury-proneness and personal demons in the mod, so we’ll see how that goes!

I definitely want to hire a few people on your shortlist, and if you come out on top in the January and July pick ‘ems you can certainly call your shot too!

• blaustein changed the title to WWF 1997: War Zone
Posted (edited)

This entry covers the WWF's most prolific rulebreakers and renegades.

IV: DASTARDLY VILLAINS OF THE WWFimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MAN WHO RULES THE WORLD Sycho Sid
36yrs old, 6ft 9in, 317lbs - West Memphis, AR

Don’t let the piercing eyes and intense rants fool you: few men on the WWF roster can claim to be half the man that Sycho Sid is, and fewer still have half the brain that he does. The self-proclaimed Master and Ruler of the World is a terrifying fusion of brains and brawn, as if Dr. Frankenstein had implanted his sadistic mind into his famous monster’s muscular body. The result? Utter physical dominance and master mental manipulation.

Sid’s saga with Shawn Michaels is typical of the fearsome force’s mind games - once the Heartbreak Kid’s new muscle in his feud against former bodyguard Diesel, he waited until the opportune moment to stick a knife in the Showstopper’s back, costing him the World title then putting him on the injury list so he could steal his scheduled rematch. Even after that, in 1996 he would pose as an erstwhile ally to Michaels, before the supposedly-reformed monster stole the Heartbreak Kid’s World title at Survivor Series through a conniving sneak attack of Michaels’ 62 year old mentor Jose Lothario, exploiting the distraction to overwhelm the champion with raw power.

With the WWF World Heavyweight Championship in his imposing grasp, Sid’s claim to rule the world has never been less in doubt. Though he and Michaels will settle the score once and for all at the Royal Rumble, this menacing malcontent has clearly proven he will do anything and everything to score the victory.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MASTODON Vader
41yrs old, 6ft 5in, 456lbs - The Rocky Mountains

Do you feel the earth shaking? That isn’t a Rocky Mountain landslide, it’s the awe-inspiring sight of a 450-pounder coming off the top rope with a bone-crushing Vader Bomb. "The Man They Call Vader" has carved a path of destruction from his debut in Japan, causing riots when he demolished the legendary Antonio Inoki, until he came stateside to batter WCW’s best and win their World Heavyweight title on three occasions.

A collective gulp reverberated through the WWF locker room when the monstrous Mastodon arrived as unlucky number 13 in the 1996 Royal Rumble - even after being eliminated from the match, WWF officials couldn’t restrain Vader from re-entering the ring and assaulting everyone in sight. Under the direction of the nefarious Jim Cornette, Vader soon set his sights on Shawn Michaels’ WWF World Heavyweight Championship, with the Heartbreak Kid barely escaping Summerslam with his title. A furious Mastodon has now trained his fury squarely against the Undertaker in what promises to be a devastating battle of titans. 

Whatever 1997 may hold, one thing is sure - it’s time, it’s time, it’s Vader time!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

STONE COLD Steve Austin
32yrs old, 6ft 2in, 252lbs - Victoria, TX

Whether you once knew this man as “Stunning”, “Superstar” or “the Ringmaster”, there is now only “Stone Cold”. Coming to the ring with black trunks, black vest and a bad attitude, this Texan hell-raiser is foul-mouthed, disrespectful and utterly riveting to behold - whether he’s giving his many enemies a piece of his mind with a scorching hot promo, or just stomping a mudhole in their sorry carcasses and walking it dry. In 1996, Austin got everyone’s attention with a star-making King of the Ring victory and a bitter rivalry with elder statesman Bret Hart. What of 1997? Perhaps it’s best to put it in Stone Cold’s own iconic words:

“You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16… Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass! As the King of the Ring, I'm serving notice to every one of the WWF superstars. I don't give a damn what they are, they're all on the list, and that's Stone Cold's list, and I'm fixing to start running through all of 'em. Steve Austin's time is come, and when I get that shot you're looking at the next WWF Champion. And that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so.”

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE KING OF HARTS Owen Hart
31yrs old, 5ft 11in, 227lbs - Calgary, AB

Owen Hart is one of the most skilled and cunning competitors to ever step into the squared circle - and if you don’t yet know it, he’ll be happy to tell you. Growing up in the immense shadow of the Hart wrestling dynasty and particularly his older brother Bret, Owen struggled to forge his own path during fleeting WWF stints in 1988 and 1991. Yet his bitterness towards Bret slowly consumed him, culminating in a shocking betrayal when Owen kicked his brother’s leg out of his leg.

It was then that Owen finally found his identity - as a career rival to the Hitman, one who knew his older brother’s every move and how to press each of his buttons. At Wrestlemania X, Owen gained vindication when he outsmarted Bret with a cunning but clean pinfall victory, and he remained a thorn in his side throughout the next year, costing him the WWF Championship on more than one occasion. In between tormenting his brother, Owen has kept his trophy cabinet well-stocked - his 1994 King of the Ring victory was followed by two Slammy Awards and three WWF World Tag Team Championships. 

Never a modest man, Owen’s over-inflated sense of self-importance has only grown further with each accolade, and it seems only a matter of time before egos get the best of his current pairing with brother-in-law Davey Boy Smith.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE BRITISH BULLDOG Davey Boy Smith
34yrs old, 5ft 11in, 260lbs - Manchester, UK

The British Bulldog is ever ready to take on the WWF’s very best and win, whether he wants to or not! Having honed his skills everywhere from his native England to Canada to Japan, Davey Boy Smith soon became known worldwide for his incredible strength, agility and unmistakable Union Jack-adorned attire. Teaming with cousin Dynamite Kid to form the British Bulldogs (alongside an actual bulldog, Matilda), they held the WWF World Tag Team titles for almost a year against stiff competition.

After a sojourn back to Japan, a more muscular Smith would return to the WWF in 1990 and transition into a successful singles competitor. At Summerslam 1992, the Bulldog achieved a career-defining WWF Intercontinental Championship win as he overcame Bret Hart in front of over 80,000 roaring fans at London’s Wembley Stadium. The ever-versatile Smith spent 1996 tangling with Shawn Michaels over the WWF World Heavyweight title, before forming a formidable duo with Owen Hart that soon won the WWF World Tag Team Championship. In 1997, this dual-threat competitor will surely seek to keep a stranglehold on the tandem titles while seeking to bring singles gold back to Blighty.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE SCHIZOPHRENIC Mankind
31yrs old, 6ft 3in, 287lbs - The Boiler Room

Flickering lights and rusted pipes. Hissing steam and oppressive heat. An ominous creaking and clanking somewhere in the distance. Only a truly tortured soul would find an eerie boiler room a place of comfort and security - and yet this is where the twisted Mankind feels most at home, rocking back and forth while speaking to the voices in his head. Beneath his tattered rag clothing and Hannibal Lecter-like leather mask, this demented character is covered in scars and burns, many self-inflicted. Look closer and you’ll see patches of missing hair and a small misshapen piece of cartilage that was once an ear.

Debuting in April 1996, this mentally deranged miscreant quickly sought to make his reputation at the expense of the Undertaker - seemingly not caring whether he won, lost or destroyed himself in the process. Yet won he did - in a brutal clash at King of the Ring, in a Boiler Room Brawl at Summerslam that saw Paul Bearer betray the Undertaker, and by burying the Dead Man alive at Buried Alive (fittingly). Under the tutelage of “Uncle Paul”, Mankind is now more dangerous than ever - a thought that is sure to unsettle WWF fans and superstars alike heading into 1997.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MILITANT Faarooq
38yrs old, 6ft 3in, 272lbs - Warner Robins, GA

By any means necessary - this is the sworn creed of the Nation of Domination, as spoken by its ruthless commander, Faarooq. As one of the most ruthless and controversial figures in today’s WWF, it may surprise you to learn that this no-nonsense powerhouse was once considered a role model and trailblazer. An All-American and NFL prospect, Faarooq would come to prominence as wrestling’s first African-American world heavyweight champion.

It is perhaps this legacy of excellence that has given the Nation leader a particular chip on his shoulder, along with more than a little jealousy. Saddled with a cartoonish gladiator persona upon his arrival in the WWF, he bristled as the Pearl River Powerhouse Ahmed Johnson became the first African-American Intercontinental Champion - and saw to injuring him with a cowardly sneak attack. Blaming his woes on the White Man and labelling Ahmed an Uncle Tom, Faarooq and his Nation enter 1997 on a quest for power, influence and respect.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE JAILBIRD Crush
35yrs old, 6ft 6in, 315lbs - Kona, HI

In a clear case of nominative determinism, Crush does exactly that - crushes. Like a volcano on the Big Island, he exploded into the WWF in 1990 as the bruising third member of Demolition, the powerful newcomer defending the WWF World Tag Team Championships alongside Ax and Smash. Soon striking out as a singles competitor, the fearsome Hawaiian would tangle with Randy Savage and Lex Luger until personal demons landed the big man in prison.

Freed from incarceration in August 1996 thanks to the maneuvers of scheming lawyer Clarence Mason, Crush emerged a changed man in more ways than one. Prison tattoos and long braided hair were accompanied by a new brutal attitude and the devastating Heart Punch finishing move. Crush’s affiliation with Mason has brought him into the Nation of Domination as their enforcer - though unquestionably white, he is more than eager to beat the group’s anti-establishment message into anyone that crosses their path.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE LOOSE CANNON Brian Pillman
34yrs old, 5ft 10in, 227lbs - Cincinnati, OH

“PILLMAN’S GOT A GUN!” “I’M GOING TO KILL THAT SON OF A *****! GET OUT OF THE ****ING WAY!”

With screaming bystanders, manic yelling and a loaded 9-millimeter glock, Brian Pillman proved what many in the industry already knew - the Loose Cannon cannot be predicted, he cannot be controlled and he cannot be censored. Once a clean-cut football standout and high-flying wrestling prodigy, Pillman has become increasingly outspoken and unstable in the last few years - blurring the lines between fact and fiction and quickly becoming perhaps the most notorious and revolutionary figure in the wrestling industry.

When the Loose Cannon signed with the WWF in mid 1996, it barely seemed to matter that he wasn’t medically cleared to compete following a catastrophic automotive accident. Pillman was determined to create controversy and intrigue even without stepping foot in the squared circle - feuding with former friend Stone Cold, tensions escalated until Austin invaded Pillman’s Walton, Kentucky home, and the Loose Cannon pulled a pistol in response. Following a network outcry, Brian Pillman has yet to appear again on Raw - but if there’s one thing that’s for sure, the Loose Cannon cannot be silenced for long.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE GREENWICH BLUEBLOOD Hunter Hearst Helmsley
27yrs old, 6ft 4in, 255lbs - Greenwich, CT

This arrogant aristocratic snob with a prominent proboscis has mastered the art of turning his nose up at the common rabble of the WWF while looking down on them. Possessing a prestigious lineage and a taste for the finer things in life, the Greenwich Blueblood most certainly knows the right fork for every course and the subtle nuances between a 1961 Bordeaux and a 1962 Bordeaux (the latter is much too pedestrian). Trained by the legendary Killer Kowalski, the highbrow HHH has the very best training that money can buy - and can back up his bravado with technical skill and a cerebral grasp of ring psychology. 

The Blueblood achieved a career win towards the end of 1996 when he defeated Marc Mero for the WWF Intercontinental Championship, but now seems intent on a different golden prize - the Bizarre One’s director Marlena, who the self-entitled Helmsley has shame-facedly pursued in recent weeks, much to the fury of her man Goldust. Whatever 1997 holds for HHH, he will rise to the occasion with cunning, determination and impeccable manners.

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, blaustein said:

This entry covers the WWF's most prolific rulebreakers and renegades.

IV: DASTARDLY VILLAINS OF THE WWFimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MAN WHO RULES THE WORLD Sycho Sid
36yrs old, 6ft 9in, 317lbs - West Memphis, AR

Don’t let the piercing eyes and intense rants fool you: few men on the WWF roster can claim to be half the man that Sycho Sid is, and fewer still have half the brain that he does. The self-proclaimed Master and Ruler of the World is a terrifying fusion of brains and brawn, as if Dr. Frankenstein had implanted his sadistic mind into his famous monster’s muscular body. The result? Utter physical dominance and master mental manipulation.

Sid’s saga with Shawn Michaels is typical of the fearsome force’s mind games - once the Heartbreak Kid’s new muscle in his feud against former bodyguard Diesel, he waited until the opportune moment to stick a knife in the Showstopper’s back, costing him the World title then putting him on the injury list so he could steal his scheduled rematch. Even after that, in 1996 he would pose as an erstwhile ally to Michaels, before the supposedly-reformed monster stole the Heartbreak Kid’s World title at Survivor Series through a conniving sneak attack of Michaels’ 62 year old mentor Jose Lothario, exploiting the distraction to overwhelm the champion with raw power.

With the WWF World Heavyweight Championship in his imposing grasp, Sid’s claim to rule the world has never been less in doubt. Though he and Michaels will settle the score once and for all at the Royal Rumble, this menacing malcontent has clearly proven he will do anything and everything to score the victory.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MASTODON Vader
41yrs old, 6ft 5in, 456lbs - The Rocky Mountains

Do you feel the earth shaking? That isn’t a Rocky Mountain landslide, it’s the awe-inspiring sight of a 450-pounder coming off the top rope with a bone-crushing Vader Bomb. "The Man They Call Vader" has carved a path of destruction from his debut in Japan, causing riots when he demolished the legendary Antonio Inoki, until he came stateside to batter WCW’s best and win their World Heavyweight title on three occasions.

A collective gulp reverberated through the WWF locker room when the monstrous Mastodon arrived as unlucky number 13 in the 1996 Royal Rumble - even after being eliminated from the match, WWF officials couldn’t restrain Vader from re-entering the ring and assaulting everyone in sight. Under the direction of the nefarious Jim Cornette, Vader soon set his sights on Shawn Michaels’ WWF World Heavyweight Championship, with the Heartbreak Kid barely escaping Summerslam with his title. A furious Mastodon has now trained his fury squarely against the Undertaker in what promises to be a devastating battle of titans. 

Whatever 1997 may hold, one thing is sure - it’s time, it’s time, it’s Vader time!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

STONE COLD Steve Austin
32yrs old, 6ft 2in, 252lbs - Victoria, TX

Whether you once knew this man as “Stunning”, “Superstar” or “the Ringmaster”, there is now only “Stone Cold”. Coming to the ring with black trunks, black vest and a bad attitude, this Texan hell-raiser is foul-mouthed, disrespectful and utterly riveting to behold - whether he’s giving his many enemies a piece of his mind with a scorching hot promo, or just stomping a mudhole in their sorry carcasses and walking it dry. In 1996, Austin got everyone’s attention with a star-making King of the Ring victory and a bitter rivalry with elder statesman Bret Hart. What of 1997? Perhaps it’s best to put it in Stone Cold’s own iconic words:

“You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16… Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass! As the King of the Ring, I'm serving notice to every one of the WWF superstars. I don't give a damn what they are, they're all on the list, and that's Stone Cold's list, and I'm fixing to start running through all of 'em. Steve Austin's time is come, and when I get that shot you're looking at the next WWF Champion. And that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so.”

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE KING OF HARTS Owen Hart
31yrs old, 5ft 11in, 227lbs - Calgary, AB

Owen Hart is one of the most skilled and cunning competitors to ever step into the squared circle - and if you don’t yet know it, he’ll be happy to tell you. Growing up in the immense shadow of the Hart wrestling dynasty and particularly his older brother Bret, Owen struggled to forge his own path during fleeting WWF stints in 1988 and 1991. Yet his bitterness towards Bret slowly consumed him, culminating in a shocking betrayal when Owen kicked his brother’s leg out of his leg.

It was then that Owen finally found his identity - as a career rival to the Hitman, one who knew his older brother’s every move and how to press each of his buttons. At Wrestlemania X, Owen gained vindication when he outsmarted Bret with a cunning but clean pinfall victory, and he remained a thorn in his side throughout the next year, costing him the WWF Championship on more than one occasion. In between tormenting his brother, Owen has kept his trophy cabinet well-stocked - his 1994 King of the Ring victory was followed by two Slammy Awards and three WWF World Tag Team Championships. 

Never a modest man, Owen’s over-inflated sense of self-importance has only grown further with each accolade, and it seems only a matter of time before egos get the best of his current pairing with brother-in-law Davey Boy Smith.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE BRITISH BULLDOG Davey Boy Smith
34yrs old, 5ft 11in, 260lbs - Manchester, UK

The British Bulldog is ever ready to take on the WWF’s very best and win, whether he wants to or not! Having honed his skills everywhere from his native England to Canada to Japan, Davey Boy Smith soon became known worldwide for his incredible strength, agility and unmistakable Union Jack-adorned attire. Teaming with cousin Dynamite Kid to form the British Bulldogs (alongside an actual bulldog, Matilda), they held the WWF World Tag Team titles for almost a year against stiff competition.

After a sojourn back to Japan, a more muscular Smith would return to the WWF in 1990 and transition into a successful singles competitor. At Summerslam 1992, the Bulldog achieved a career-defining WWF Intercontinental Championship win as he overcame Bret Hart in front of over 80,000 roaring fans at London’s Wembley Stadium. The ever-versatile Smith spent 1996 tangling with Shawn Michaels over the WWF World Heavyweight title, before forming a formidable duo with Owen Hart that soon won the WWF World Tag Team Championship. In 1997, this dual-threat competitor will surely seek to keep a stranglehold on the tandem titles while seeking to bring singles gold back to Blighty.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE SCHIZOPHRENIC Mankind
31yrs old, 6ft 3in, 287lbs - The Boiler Room

Flickering lights and rusted pipes. Hissing steam and oppressive heat. An ominous creaking and clanking somewhere in the distance. Only a truly tortured soul would find an eerie boiler room a place of comfort and security - and yet this is where the twisted Mankind feels most at home, rocking back and forth while speaking to the voices in his head. Beneath his tattered rag clothing and Hannibal Lecter-like leather mask, this demented character is covered in scars and burns, many self-inflicted. Look closer and you’ll see patches of missing hair and a small misshapen piece of cartilage that was once an ear.

Debuting in April 1996, this mentally deranged miscreant quickly sought to make his reputation at the expense of the Undertaker - seemingly not caring whether he won, lost or destroyed himself in the process. Yet won he did - in a brutal clash at King of the Ring, in a Boiler Room Brawl at Summerslam that saw Paul Bearer betray the Undertaker, and by burying the Dead Man alive at Buried Alive (fittingly). Under the tutelage of “Uncle Paul”, Mankind is now more dangerous than ever - a thought that is sure to unsettle WWF fans and superstars alike heading into 1997.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE MILITANT Faarooq
38yrs old, 6ft 3in, 272lbs - Warner Robins, GA

By any means necessary - this is the sworn creed of the Nation of Domination, as spoken by its ruthless commander, Faarooq. As one of the most ruthless and controversial figures in today’s WWF, it may surprise you to learn that this no-nonsense powerhouse was once considered a role model and trailblazer. An All-American and NFL prospect, Faarooq would come to prominence as wrestling’s first African-American world heavyweight champion.

It is perhaps this legacy of excellence that has given the Nation leader a particular chip on his shoulder, along with more than a little jealousy. Saddled with a cartoonish gladiator persona upon his arrival in the WWF, he bristled as the Pearl River Powerhouse Ahmed Johnson became the first African-American Intercontinental Champion - and saw to injuring him with a cowardly sneak attack. Blaming his woes on the White Man and labelling Ahmed an Uncle Tom, Faarooq and his Nation enter 1997 on a quest for power, influence and respect.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE JAILBIRD Crush
35yrs old, 6ft 6in, 315lbs - Kona, HI

In a clear case of nominative determinism, Crush does exactly that - crushes. Like a volcano on the Big Island, he exploded into the WWF in 1990 as the bruising third member of Demolition, the powerful newcomer defending the WWF World Tag Team Championships alongside Ax and Smash. Soon striking out as a singles competitor, the fearsome Hawaiian would tangle with Randy Savage and Lex Luger until personal demons landed the big man in prison.

Freed from incarceration in August 1996 thanks to the maneuvers of scheming lawyer Clarence Mason, Crush emerged a changed man in more ways than one. Prison tattoos and long braided hair were accompanied by a new brutal attitude and the devastating Heart Punch finishing move. Crush’s affiliation with Mason has brought him into the Nation of Domination as their enforcer - though unquestionably white, he is more than eager to beat the group’s anti-establishment message into anyone that crosses their path.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE LOOSE CANNON Brian Pillman
34yrs old, 5ft 10in, 227lbs - Cincinnati, OH

“PILLMAN’S GOT A GUN!” “I’M GOING TO KILL THAT SON OF A *****! GET OUT OF THE ****ING WAY!”

With screaming bystanders, manic yelling and a loaded 9-millimeter glock, Brian Pillman proved what many in the industry already knew - the Loose Cannon cannot be predicted, he cannot be controlled and he cannot be censored. Once a clean-cut football standout and high-flying wrestling prodigy, Pillman has become increasingly outspoken and unstable in the last few years - blurring the lines between fact and fiction and quickly becoming perhaps the most notorious and revolutionary figure in the wrestling industry.

When the Loose Cannon signed with the WWF in mid 1996, it barely seemed to matter that he wasn’t medically cleared to compete following a catastrophic automotive accident. Pillman was determined to create controversy and intrigue even without stepping foot in the squared circle - feuding with former friend Stone Cold, tensions escalated until Austin invaded Pillman’s Walton, Kentucky home, and the Loose Cannon pulled a pistol in response. Following a network outcry, Brian Pillman has yet to appear again on Raw - but if there’s one thing that’s for sure, the Loose Cannon cannot be silenced for long.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE GREENWICH BLUEBLOOD Hunter Hearst Helmsley
27yrs old, 6ft 4in, 255lbs - Greenwich, CT

This arrogant aristocratic snob with a prominent proboscis has mastered the art of turning his nose up at the common rabble of the WWF while looking down on them. Possessing a prestigious lineage and a taste for the finer things in life, the Greenwich Blueblood most certainly knows the right fork for every course and the subtle nuances between a 1961 Bordeaux and a 1962 Bordeaux (the latter is much too pedestrian). Trained by the legendary Killer Kowalski, the highbrow HHH has the very best training that money can buy - and can back up his bravado with technical skill and a cerebral grasp of ring psychology. 

The Blueblood achieved a career win towards the end of 1996 when he defeated Marc Mero for the WWF Intercontinental Championship, but now seems intent on a different golden prize - the Bizarre One’s director Marlena, who the self-entitled Helmsley has shame-facedly pursued in recent weeks, much to the fury of her man Goldust. Whatever 1997 holds for HHH, he will rise to the occasion with cunning, determination and impeccable manners.

Not much change here again, hhh forms dx with hbk, pillman dies from heart disease, crush however should not form D.O.A. after leaving the nation, might be better to send him to ecw for a while then come back to join taker's ministry. Not sure about what the do with Savio though, guy always seemed like a konnan rip off To me. but for Owen, I got plan`s for him and michaels. It all starts at Summerslam with Owen NOT injuring Austin's neck with a botched piledriver, after claiming the belt Austin would drop the tag titles at ground zero by stunning dude love and leaving him for some other team. Austin would then drop it at the dx ppv against rock while while Owen attack michaels after his match with Shamrock. That's all I'll write for now, I'll wait till the end of the in game year around Survivor Series for what to do next year.

But for a sneak preview, I'd like to pitch the idea of not getting rid of the brawl for all turnout instead reconceptulize it(did I use that word right?). Instead of being around shootfights it would be a hardcore tournament to crown the first hardcore champion.

I'd also like to add some more names from Mexico and Japan to shortlist.

Great Sasuke(light heavyweight division)

Super delfin(light heavyweight division) 

Gedo and jado(light heavyweight division)

Taka michinoku(light heavyweight division) 

Kaz hayashi(light heavyweight division)

Men's teioh(light heavyweight division)

Dick Togo(light heavyweight division) 

Jerry lynn(light heavyweight division) 

Christopher daniels(light heavyweight division and as either himself or as curry man)

Super crazy(light heavyweight division)

Latin lover(light heavyweight division)

Jerry Estrada(light heavyweight division)

Hector garza(light heavyweight division)

Enjoyed reading through this

My obvious advice

WCW - Alex Wright, Chris Jericho, Curt Henning, Dean Malenko, DDP & Kimberley Page, Eddie Guererro, Fit Finlay, Prince Iaukea, Raven, Rey Misterio Jr, Scotty Riggs, Dave Taylor, Willian Regal, Ted Dibaise, the Giant, ULtimo Dragon, Stevie Ray & Booker T are all there in 97.  Most will be fairly cheap if they become available and all offer some real useful potential for you.  I'd pursue Chris Kanyon (Mortis) because that guy could be anything if booked right.  Sting is a guy who if his contract is ever coming up is a must to pursue - Taker v Sting is money.  Goldberg is ... hmmm he'd be there

ECW - Buh-Buh & D-Von, Lance Storm, Rick Rude, Rob Van Dam, Paul Heyman (if not as ECW Owner), Joey Styles

Others - Nick Dinsmore is down in OVW probably, 

I assume you already have Edge & Chrisitan and the Gunns

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You’ve already met the WWF World Tag Team Champions, Owen Hart and the British Bulldog. This entry covers the other top teams on the WWF roster seeking to pry the gold from their hands.

V: Top Tandems of the WWF

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

THE CAN-AM EXPRESS Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon
Furnas: 35yrs old, 5ft 11in, 243lbs - Commerce, OK
LaFon: 35yrs old, 5ft 11in, 243lbs - Montreal, QC

This dynamic duo has built a solid reputation across the world, winning tag team championships in Japanese and Mexican rings over the last seven years. Though neither Furnas nor LaFon are what you would call larger than life personalities, their exceptional chemistry and innovative double-team maneuvers have earned respect from fans and peers alike.

It seemed only a matter of time that this world-traveled pairing would find their way to the WWF, where they quickly put the tag division on notice by eliminating Champions Owen Hart & British Bulldog from the Survivor Series match in 1996. Heading into the new year, the Can-Am Express are set on climbing the ranks and winning their first WWF World Tag Team Championships.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

THE GODWINNS Henry O. Godwinn & Phineas I. Godwinn
Henry: 32yrs old, 6ft 4in, 293lbs - Bitters, AR
Phineas: 28yrs old, 6ft 3in, 288lbs - Bitters, AR

Don’t go messing with these country boys. Accompanied by their jovial manager Hillbilly Jim, the down-home charm of the boys from Bitters Arkansas have won over WWF fans from the deep south all the way to Yankee country. A typical Godwinns tag team bout may not feature any scientific wrestling, but it’ll still be a romping stomping good time. After all, the Godwinn Boys are never afraid to get their hands dirty - sometimes literally, when they douse their opponents with some country justice from their infamous buckets of pig slop.

Henry Godwinn first arrived in WWF rings in late 1994, the hog farmer tangling with Sycho Sid, HHH and more in slop-filled brawls. Cousin Phineas and Hillbilly Jim joined the jamboree in 1996, and the blue-collar brawlers soon beat the Bodydonnas for the WWF World Tag Team Championships, also stealing their manager Sunny after a fling with Phineas. Yet the tempestuous blonde would soon desert the Godwinns, costing them their titles as she defected to the Smoking Gunns. In 1997, the Godwinns look to put “hogs before hoes” and climb back to the top of the tag division.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

THE SMOKING GUNNS Bart Gunn & Billy Gunn
Bart: 31yrs old, 6ft 5in, 260lbs - Austin, TX
Billy: 33yrs old, 6ft 5in, 268lbs - Austin, TX

Sunny has a lot to answer for. After ditching the Godwinns for the Smoking Gunns, the blonde bombshell soon started to manipulate brothers Billy and Bart. The handsome cowboy brothers had been an indivisible and honorable unit since they saddled up and rode into WWF rings in 1993, winning three WWF World Tag Team Championships and a Raw Bowl. Yet under Sunny’s direction, her Gunns started to show an aggressive and arrogant side.

It all came to a head in October 1996 when the Gunns lost their WWF World Tag Team titles to Owen Hart and the British Bulldog, and Sunny promptly dropped them cold - the conniving temptress only wanting to manage champions. A frustrated Billy soon walked out on Bart, and tensions grew until a pivotal mid-December Raw match between the brothers ended prematurely with a devastating neck injury to Billy. The older Gunn brother now sits on the sidelines plotting his revenge, while Bart begins to chart a solo course for the first time in his career.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

BIG DADDY COOL Diesel & THE BAD GUY Razor Ramon
Diesel: 29yrs old, 7ft 0in, 320lbs - Detroit, MI
Razor: 26yrs old, 6ft 6in, 271lbs - Miami, FL

The towering Diesel joined the WWF in 1993 as Shawn Michaels’ bodyguard, soon striking out on his own and winning a triple crown of WWF championships capped with an almost year-long WWF World Heavyweight Championship. At the same time, the cooler than cool “Bad Guy” Razor Ramon amassed a record-breaking four WWF Intercontinental Championships. Both men became household names to the WWF fanbase - and then in 1996, both left for another wrestling organisation.

Imagine the surprise of fans when a bitter Jim Ross claimed to have put one over on the WWF front office and President Gorilla Monsoon, striking a deal to bring the beloved Bad Guy and Big Daddy Cool back to the WWF! And return they did. Some conspiracy theorists have claimed these are not the real Diesel and Razor but actually cheap imposters, but both men are clearly wearing their attire, doing their trademark mannerisms and finishing moves, and the WWF would never lie to us. Checkmate, naysayers.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

PG-13 Wolfie D & J.C. Ice
Wolfie: 23yrs old, 6ft 1in, 220lbs - Nashville, TN
Ice: 25yrs old, 5ft 8in, 196lbs - Nashville, TN

They are PG-13, coming live and in color
Don't diss the man or they'll bum rush your mother
Listen what they’re saying, it's for real not playin'
They’re the OGs of wrestling, hit your knees and start prayin'

The boys from the hood are on the M-I-C
Spitting out the rhymes it's J.C. Ice and Wolfie D
Wolfie’s got power and Ice is quick like the cat
Put two and two together and feel your face on the mat

They’re in the Nation of Domination and they can't be stopped
You suckas step to the side unless you want to get dropped!

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 4

Poor old Bart - he got buried for being too good a shoot fighter in that ridiculous pseudo shoot stuff they did.

Fake Razor and Fake Diesel ... lol.  Always felt sorry for Bognar because he was actually a decent worker and unlike Jacobs he didn't end up with a great makeover.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alpha2117 said:

Poor old Bart - he got buried for being too good a shoot fighter in that ridiculous pseudo shoot stuff they did.

Fake Razor and Fake Diesel ... lol.  Always felt sorry for Bognar because he was actually a decent worker and unlike Jacobs he didn't end up with a great makeover.  

I have no idea what you mean, they're literally called Razor Ramon and Diesel so it's clearly the real Razor Ramon and Diesel... right?

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions so far!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blaustein said:

I have no idea what you mean, they're literally called Razor Ramon and Diesel so it's clearly the real Razor Ramon and Diesel... right?

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions so far!

Ahhh Kayfabe to the core

• Haha 1

Just a small update - I've now added Spotify themes to the Character Bible entries after getting permission to borrow a nifty bit of HTML from @Devilb0y's excellent TCW diary. Thanks!

NB: If you're signed into Spotify you can listen to the whole theme but if you aren't, you're limited to a 30 second sample of each song. Also, some obscure themes were never released on WWE soundtracks including the Uncaged series, so where these are unavailable, I've substituted something appropriate in their place.

• Like 4