Enhancing Narratives

So, I’ve been working on a historic mod, and am specifically on the narratives portion. While developing these narrative, I realized that there might be some ideas that I think could enhance the narrative experience. These aren’t exactly bugs, but more like suggestions that could add some extra depth to the game. Here they are:
  • Event/TV Show Revival: It would be useful if we could activate a dormant event or TV show. This could simulate scenarios like WWF SmackDown launching in 1999 or WCW Thunder launching in the mid-90s. It could also be used for specials like Clash of the Champions or Saturday Night’s Main Event, which the AI seems to disable after the first use—unless I’m missing something?

• Event/TV Show Sunset: There should be an option to force an active event or TV show to go dormant. This could help simulate the natural end of a series.

• Venue/Location Closure: It would add a lot to the narrative if we could force the closure of a venue or location due to events like an earthquake or hurricane, which could destroy a stadium or other venue.

• Media Group Disband/Closure: It would be great to have the ability to disband or close a media group, with an option for the channels within the group to either go independent or shut down.

• Media Group Launch: The option to launch a new media group would be a nice addition, allowing for more customization in the media landscape.

• Broadcaster Joins Media Group: There should be an option for a broadcaster to join an existing media group.

• Broadcaster Leaves Media Group: Conversely, there should be an option for a broadcaster to leave a media group. This would require adding “broadcaster is or is not a member of a media group” as a requirement.

• Alliance Disband/Closure: Similar to media groups, it would be useful to have the ability to disband or close an alliance, with promotions either going independent or shutting down.

• Alliance Launch: The option to launch a new alliance would also be a welcome addition.

• Promotion Joins Alliance: There should be an option for a promotion to join an existing alliance.

• Promotion Leaves Alliance: There should also be an option for a promotion to leave an alliance, with a requirement for “promotion is a member/not a member of an alliance.”

• Worker Goes on Hiatus: It would be useful to have an option for a worker to go on hiatus, with the ability to select a reason similar to what’s available in the editor.

• Worker Leaves Business: An option for a worker to leave the business entirely would add realism to career trajectories.

• Worker Becomes Deceased: There should be a way to mark a worker as deceased, for more accurate historical mods.

• Worker Force Return from Hiatus: It would be useful to have the option to force a worker to return from hiatus for specific narrative scenarios.

• Promotion Owner is Forced Out: An option to force out a promotion owner could add drama and realism to the management side of the game.

• Promotion Booker is Forced Out: Similar to the above, having the ability to force out a promotion booker would enhance the narrative potential.

For an actual bug, to report: [running patch 1.17] Also, I noticed that in some converted mods, if a promotion is set to be both Player Controlled and AI Controlled, it doesn’t seem to function as expected. While it makes sense that both can’t happen simultaneously, maybe a block or warning could be added to prevent this?

I hope these suggestions are helpful and possible. While some are more complex from a programming prospective, I feel like some of them would be similar to the addition of the "Worker Gains Modeling Experience" addition from the previous patch.

Thanks!

Edited by aznironman
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, aznironman said:

For an actual bug, to report: [running patch 1.17] Also, I noticed that in some converted mods, if a promotion is set to be both Player Controlled and AI Controlled, it doesn’t seem to function as expected. While it makes sense that both can’t happen simultaneously, maybe a block or warning could be added to prevent this?

Moved to the correct forum.

The converter was already updated in a previous patch to not have conflicting requirements for control of a company. Narratives already converted would need to be manually altered.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

Moved to the correct forum.

The converter was already updated in a previous patch to not have conflicting requirements for control of a company. Narratives already converted would need to be manually altered.

Thanks for the clarification and move of the thread.  Thanks Adam!

4 hours ago, aznironman said:
So, I’ve been working on a historic mod, and am specifically on the narratives portion. While developing these narrative, I realized that there might be some ideas that I think could enhance the narrative experience. These aren’t exactly bugs, but more like suggestions that could add some extra depth to the game. Here they are:
  • Event/TV Show Revival: It would be useful if we could activate a dormant event or TV show. This could simulate scenarios like WWF SmackDown launching in 1999 or WCW Thunder launching in the mid-90s. It could also be used for specials like Clash of the Champions or Saturday Night’s Main Event, which the AI seems to disable after the first use—unless I’m missing something?

• Event/TV Show Sunset: There should be an option to force an active event or TV show to go dormant. This could help simulate the natural end of a series.

• Venue/Location Closure: It would add a lot to the narrative if we could force the closure of a venue or location due to events like an earthquake or hurricane, which could destroy a stadium or other venue.

• Media Group Disband/Closure: It would be great to have the ability to disband or close a media group, with an option for the channels within the group to either go independent or shut down.

• Media Group Launch: The option to launch a new media group would be a nice addition, allowing for more customization in the media landscape.

• Broadcaster Joins Media Group: There should be an option for a broadcaster to join an existing media group.

• Broadcaster Leaves Media Group: Conversely, there should be an option for a broadcaster to leave a media group. This would require adding “broadcaster is or is not a member of a media group” as a requirement.

• Alliance Disband/Closure: Similar to media groups, it would be useful to have the ability to disband or close an alliance, with promotions either going independent or shutting down.

• Alliance Launch: The option to launch a new alliance would also be a welcome addition.

• Promotion Joins Alliance: There should be an option for a promotion to join an existing alliance.

• Promotion Leaves Alliance: There should also be an option for a promotion to leave an alliance, with a requirement for “promotion is a member/not a member of an alliance.”

• Worker Goes on Hiatus: It would be useful to have an option for a worker to go on hiatus, with the ability to select a reason similar to what’s available in the editor.

• Worker Leaves Business: An option for a worker to leave the business entirely would add realism to career trajectories.

• Worker Becomes Deceased: There should be a way to mark a worker as deceased, for more accurate historical mods.

• Worker Force Return from Hiatus: It would be useful to have the option to force a worker to return from hiatus for specific narrative scenarios.

• Promotion Owner is Forced Out: An option to force out a promotion owner could add drama and realism to the management side of the game.

• Promotion Booker is Forced Out: Similar to the above, having the ability to force out a promotion booker would enhance the narrative potential.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and possible. While some are more complex from a programming prospective, I feel like some of them would be similar to the addition of the "Worker Gains Modeling Experience" addition from the previous patch.

Thanks!

Great ideas! :) I think allowing for that level of control would help a lot of DB makers, especially historical ones.