[HYPE] A New Generation - 1993

So I am working on a 1993 mod because I love the New Generation Era, it's what I grew up with and it's the era I like the idea of going back and changing history with. Because there was a lot of potential in that era ruined by horrendous booking across the board in America.

Where I am really going to struggle in making this mod, in terms of setting up the narrative, is outside America. Specifically, Japan and the UK. Obviously I can find info on cagematch and through other research but I want to make the setup as historically accurate as I can. With it beginning in January of 1993, really I'm more looking into what happened over the previous year in these areas and was there anything big/notable they were working towards in 1993? If anybody can point me in the right direction but right now I'm focusing on America first anyway

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, CactusZach said:

So I am working on a 1993 mod because I love the New Generation Era, it's what I grew up with and it's the era I like the idea of going back and changing history with. Because there was a lot of potential in that era ruined by horrendous booking across the board in America.

Where I am really going to struggle in making this mod, in terms of setting up the narrative, is outside America. Specifically, Japan and the UK. Obviously I can find info on cagematch and through other research but I want to make the setup as historically accurate as I can. With it beginning in January of 1993, really I'm more looking into what happened over the previous year in these areas and was there anything big/notable they were working towards in 1993? If anybody can point me in the right direction but right now I'm focusing on America first anyway

Oh I would love to do a diary where Paul heyman is offered a job at wwf during this time instead of going to ecw. He'd start out on commentary replacing Rob Bartlett but later becomes a member of the booking team bringing his ideas to Monday Night RAW.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Oh I would love to do a diary where Paul heyman is offered a job at wwf during this time instead of going to ecw. He'd start out on commentary replacing Rob Bartlett but later becomes a member of the booking team bringing his ideas to Monday Night RAW.

This should be possible, Paul Heyman doesn't actually gain any real power in ECW I believe until September of 1993. The start date being in January, the Booker would still be Eddie Gilbert if my memory isn't failing me

5 hours ago, CactusZach said:

This should be possible, Paul Heyman doesn't actually gain any real power in ECW I believe until September of 1993. The start date being in January, the Booker would still be Eddie Gilbert if my memory isn't failing me

From what I can remember, Eddie Gilbert didn't take the head booker role until March 93. He only held it 6 months but you are correct on him leaving it on September 93.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 11:07 PM, Fleisch said:

From what I can remember, Eddie Gilbert didn't take the head booker role until March 93. He only held it 6 months but you are correct on him leaving it on September 93.

Ah see my ECW knowledge is a bit spotty. I just knew before Heyman it was Eddie Gilbert and that Heyman took over in September of 93 so I just assumed Gilbert had it from the start, part of the fun of building this mod though will be brushing up on the history. The hard part for me as I said though, will be outside of America

• Like 2

For those that are wondering Gilbert only Booked for 6 months from about March 93 and before that it was Larry Winters from when it opened as Eastern Championship Wrestling.  So Jan 1993 it would be him.  He came back to ECW as the jobber Mr X early in Heymans reign after having won the Tag titles during his Booking run with Hitman Tony Stentson.  When he left ECW the 2nd time he sort of faded into obscurity.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

For those that are wondering Gilbert only Booked for 6 months from about March 93 and before that it was Larry Winters from when it opened as Eastern Championship Wrestling.  So Jan 1993 it would be him.  He came back to ECW as the jobber Mr X early in Heymans reign after having won the Tag titles during his Booking run with Hitman Tony Stentson.  When he left ECW the 2nd time he sort of faded into obscurity.  

Thank you

• Like 1

UPDATE: WWF Roster near completion, currently the plan of mod creation is, company by company completing the roster as historically accurate as I can for the starting date. Some workers will be starting with the company before they are actually meant to, so for example. Giant Gonzalez doesn't actually start in the WWF on January 1st 1993, but his run starts at the Royal Rumble that year so I see no point splitting hairs for exact historical accuracy when the guy may as well be on the roster for simplicity sake. After I have completed a company's roster, I will then work on graphics for that company. So logos, shows, and worker pictures. Then, next company and so on and so on until we get to workers who were operating in indies or had recently completed training. The aim in terms of future stars is to try and populate the game up to around 2010-2013 because that is when my wrestling fandom kinda fell off so after that point things would get spotty for me.

I did create a test WWF logo and backdrop but im not the best at graphic creation so debating what to do going forward with that, may either outsource or request permission to use graphics from another mod creator.

WWF.jpg.3c75108497b3d230a7b19934fba645b7.jpgWWF.jpg.b2d81bcf8f08e93bd199f426bcc38a3a.jpg

Edited by CactusZach
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, CactusZach said:

UPDATE: WWF Roster near completion, currently the plan of mod creation is, company by company completing the roster as historically accurate as I can for the starting date. Some workers will be starting with the company before they are actually meant to, so for example. Giant Gonzalez doesn't actually start in the WWF on January 1st 1993, but his run starts at the Royal Rumble that year so I see no point splitting hairs for exact historical accuracy when the guy may as well be on the roster for simplicity sake. After I have completed a company's roster, I will then work on graphics for that company. So logos, shows, and worker pictures. Then, next company and so on and so on until we get to workers who were operating in indies or had recently completed training. The aim in terms of future stars is to try and populate the game up to around 2010-2013 because that is when my wrestling fandom kinda fell off so after that point things would get spotty for me.

I did create a test WWF logo and backdrop but im not the best at graphic creation so debating what to do going forward with that, may either outsource or request permission to use graphics from another mod creator.

WWF.jpg.3c75108497b3d230a7b19934fba645b7.jpgWWF.jpg.b2d81bcf8f08e93bd199f426bcc38a3a.jpg

Good work. If you're looking to save time then I would strongly suggest gaz's sticker pack. It fits the era really well, you'd have minimal issues with missing pictures (because it was originally created for around 93-96 IIRC), and it's also a really good looking pack.

If you want a hand on anything, hit me up. 93 is one of my favourite periods to re-book so I've developed a decent knowledge of the time.

Edited by benjirino
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CactusZach said:

I always think that's more realistic. You can bet your life savings Gonzalez had signed an agreement/contract weeks before his Royal Rumble debut than on the day of the Rumble itself. I always think it makes sense to push back a workers contract with a company before they actually debuted historically. WCW had something like 100 wrestlers on it's roster (on their payroll) in 1998, though the armchair fan would never have known they were even with the company.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CactusZach said:

QUESTION: Would potential players prefer for there to be starting storylines for historical accuracy, or would they prefer to start their own? I know for my playing style i prefer to do my own from scratch but obviously I'm not building this mod just for me

I prefer existing storylines to be set up as it adds to the immersion that you're walking into a company as booker/owner at that point in time.

• Like 4

UPDATE: The WWF Roster I can confidently say is complete. I may be missing some stars, my reference for this roster has been going through cagematch and getting all notable names who made appearances and would have been in the company on January 1993. If I am missing anybody let me know. I am beginning work on WWF graphics and while I am making these I will also be beginning work on putting together the WCW Roster

NOT INCLUDING Road Agents/Referees (I'm still trying to see who would be in the inner circle at that time to be as accurate as possible)

Bam Bam Bigelow
Barry Horowitz
Beau Beverly
Big Boss Man
Blake Beverly
Bob Backlund
Bobby Heenan
Bret Hart
Brian Knobbs
Brutus Beefcake
Bushwhacker Butch
Bushwhacker Luke
Crush
Damien Demento
Doink The Clown
Earthquake
El Matador
Executioner Agony
Executioner Pain
Fatu
Giant Gonzalez
Glenn Ruth
Gorilla Monsoon
Hulk Hogan
Irwin R. Schyster
Jerry Lawler
Jerry Saggs
Jim Brunzell
Jim Duggan
Jim Powers
Kamala 
Koko B. Ware
Lex Luger
Louie Spicolli
Marty Jannetty
Max Moon
Mike Sharpe
Mr. Fuji
Mr. Perfect
Owen Hart
Papa Shango
Randy Savage
Razor Ramon
Repo Man
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner
Rob Bartlett
Samu
Scott Steiner
Sensational Sherri
Shawn Michaels
Skinner
Steven Dunn
Tatanka
Ted Dibiase
Terry Taylor
The Berzerker
The Brooklyn Brawler
The Predator
The Undertaker
Timothy Well
Vince McMahon
Virgil
Yokozuna

Edited by CactusZach
  • Like 2

So these are the graphics Im settling on for the logos and backdrops options for WWF. I think these suit in fulfilling the goal I am looking to achieve in showing the transition the WWF goes through as it comes out of the golden age and into the new generation with some obvious alternatives for players who want to try and bring on an early attitude era.

WWF1.jpg.e41e85d68d9fd222c2fd6da5f52de356.jpgWWF.jpg.13bdf9cb2051e33ca977e056433bc5e6.jpgWWF2.jpg.f2b9cba1019aa9a389934caba550c37b.jpgWWF3.jpg.3dae0e13b1f09512a9da88433e630e09.jpg

WWF1.jpg.1e2c652cfd17a217c8e0c4d6d01e77eb.jpgWWF.jpg.fdefaffcc974580f5a4fb025122fa3d5.jpgWWF2.jpg.1498e1c71911e90ce5da63317b304c09.jpgWWF3.jpg.928944ee14b07b1852ab6d9d553f859b.jpgWWF5.jpg.d2069f3154b623506a6f372f4e17842f.jpgWWF4.jpg.c03592330713812104d63a70744498d9.jpg

• Like 2