Need Help learning to mod

It really depends what you're trying to do. If you're building a mod from scratch, your best bet is using websites like TheSmackDownHotel or others like it to find rosters from the time period. Alternatively you can use a freeware mod as a base or ask another developer for permission to use their mod as a base. Making a mod can be very time consuming and it takes a ton of research to get right.

10 minutes ago, Marinho88 said:

What is the problem?

So i created one in tew 9 and tried to use the mdb admin to make changes but i dont understand it at all I just want like an Alt of 2006 to the Shifting Sands that i can play 

9 minutes ago, Paxlux said:

It really depends what you're trying to do. If you're building a mod from scratch, your best bet is using websites like TheSmackDownHotel or others like it to find rosters from the time period. Alternatively you can use a freeware mod as a base or ask another developer for permission to use their mod as a base. Making a mod can be very time consuming and it takes a ton of research to get right.

I was planning on using TheSmackdownHotel for everything that i needed i plan on starting it once i figure everything out 

Building a mod from scratch will take you months if done properly so the first thing to have is patience. This is how I do it...

First thing, before you even touch the editor, get some sites bookmarked. Cagematch, wrestlingdata, luchwiki etc... get them all set up in a bookmarked folder so they are easy to find.

Start at the top in each country you want a company in. Focus on one company at a time and when they are complete, move to the next one. At the end, tweak the workers until you are happy with the balance. Once you have built the top company in each country, work on the other companies, using the initial company as your "balance marker". If you can keep to this structure, it becomes less overwhelming (ie - today I'll focus on WWE, tomorrow NJPW, the next day CMLL...)

Everything else (venues, broadcasters, events, titles etc) can then be added as you see fit. I tend to work on Broadcasters before TV shows and Events but that is just me. Title lineages are the last thing I touch in a mod because then you don't have to go back and re-link the holders).

Remember - probably one of the most important things - make the mod YOU want to play, have a clear picture of what you want the mod to do and how it is to play. Have fun with it - modding should be fun for the most part. It is good to have some input from others and this community is very good at giving constructive feedback. You must enjoy what you are doing or the mod quality is going to reflect your boredom/indifference in creating it.

EDIT: I may have misread what it was you wanted now I've seen the further replies.

• Like 7

So you wanna do a IX version of Shifting Sands from 2020? Well that's considered freeware, you can probably just convert the 2020 version to IX and fix stuff....maybe check with @Mammoth to make sure he's not updating it himself and you're not stepping on his toes before you do, unless it's just for personal use then it probably doesn't matter.

I plan on updating Shifting Sands myself but as Jaymee has said, it's complete freeware (for TEW games) so should you wish to update it yourself and/or use it as a base, you're free to do so. 🙂 I'm severely jet lagged right now so I can't offer you any further advice (although a quick skim tells me that people have already offered you some great advice) but working from a base is exponentially easier than starting from scratch. It's why I've only done two modifications in over a decade! 😅