Suggestions ... mostly in-game coaching

Hi ... started taking some notes during a recent BB game of some defects and potential suggestions I was seeing. This is kinda stream-of-consciousness from notes made while playing, so just take it for what its worth. BTW, I was waiting a bit to see if any word on what's being worked on in the patch would be posted.... sorry if some of these are already covered. ----------------- Bowl Bound Suggestions and defects Defect: Its possible to get the same player on the field twice at two positions. Examples: Same player as 3rd Dwn Back and Pass Dn FB. Same player as say Flanker and 3rd WR. Suggestion: Could it be possible just to turn off all the "situational' positions? Reason: I like to call my own plays and do my own substituting. Maybe I'm just a micro-managing freak, but its the way I like to play the game. I like having control over who's on the field. However, when doing this, all the 'situational' sub spots on the depth chart are basically just a pain in the rear. I continually keep getting the wrong players on the field because I didn't catch one of those. Example: I see a DT getting tired, so where he's listed under "NT" or "4-3 DT" I rotate his sub into the game. But I forget to go change it under "Pass DT". So I call the play, then go back to the sub screen, and my poor DT is even more tired because he stayed out on the field and his sub didn't play the down. Another example is HB. I feel like I've got to change my HB in 3 different columns "HB", "Short Yardage RB", and "3rd Dwn RB" just to make the one positional change. So, what I'm picturing is a check box in the blue header bar that would let me use or not use the situational subs. Basically, I'd like to get the depth chart screen down to just the 11 positions on offense and the 11 on defense and let me play just by controlling those spots. That would make subbing during a game much easier. I tend to be through these screens almost every play, or at least once a drive is several plays old and I know I need to start worrying about subbing in fresh players. So if I only had to watch 11 spots, and not have to keep changing multiple columns to make one sub, it would be nice. Suggestion: When I press the "Set Lineups" button from within a game, have it go to the correct depth chart for the unit that's on the field. Right now it always goes to "Offense". If the Defense is the unit on the field, it would be nice if it would automatically go to the Defense depth charts. Suggestion: If the situational positions are being used, it would be nice if they automatically skipped the players in the basic positions. This is related to the defect above. For example: 3rd WR. Look at who's on the field for SE and FL. If either of those players is the first name in the 3rd WR column, skip it and go to the next name to get the 3rd WR. Check again and skip again if the 2nd name under 3rd WR is also on the field at SE or FL, skip again and go to the third name. Seems like a more convenient system. And it would help avoid the defect where the same player can be on the field twice. 5th DL would be another nice spot for this, and would help avoid more error msgs after setting lineups, and more clicks to keep changing pos to make one sub. Suggestion: If the situational positions are being used, shouldn't 3rd and 1 use the Short Yardage RB instead of the 3rd Dwn RB? I know it is 3rd Down, but I picture my "3rd Dwn RB" as more of a pass receiving sort of RB. On 3rd and 1, I want the big bruising interior runner type of guy out there. Since I want to make my own subs, this is an annoyance that I need to constantly check (part of needing to check 3 columns to really be sure of who my RB is on a play). But its also got to be screwing up AI teams and players that let the CPU control their subs. Defect/Suggestions: What's with the Pause/Resume button on 4th Dwns? The game seems to go to Pause mode every time I sub, and stay there ... at least in terms of graphic indications in the UI. But the game ignores this unless its 4th Dwn. Then I have to go over and press Resume before I call my play. And this sequence really doesn't like ST Plays. If I happen to be going for 4th Dwn, any changes I make to formation and play type "stick" if I do them before hitting Resume. Example: I set my offense on Inside Run and I formation before I remember to hit Resume, then the play calling area stays on these plays. But if I try to go to ST Plays before I press Resume, the game forces me back to what I called for 3rd Dwn and I have to change it a second time. Mostly just annoying. But at times I've mistakenly called a play instead of Punting because of this. Yikes! Suggestion: On 4th Dwn, it would be nice if the play calling system defaulted to ST Plays anyways. Usually I'm going to Punt or kick a FG anyways, so the extra clicks to get to ST plays is annoying. Especially when I keep doing it twice because now suddenly the "Resume" button does something when on 3rd Dwn it didn't matter. Defect/Suggestion: Fatigue doesn't carry over between drives. Example: You are on defense, and you give up a score after a drive. The endurance level of all your defenders is well below 100%. Then, on the kickoff that follows, you fumble the ball and turn it over and your defense is back on the field. But, that short time the players spent on the sideline has magically returned all your defenders to 100% endurance. That Gatorade must be really good stuff! Defect/Suggestion: Why is it only the player involved in the play who loses more than 1 endurance point? Most obvious with WRs. Only if the player is the intended receiver on a play does the endurance really drop. The other guys just lose like 1 pt. As a coach, I don't want to see my other WRs just loafing around on their routes like that! Hustle, hustle, hustle. Blocking also is apparently regarded as a low energy activity. A FB can block all day without losing much endurance, but one run attempt suddenly drops him. Probably not an easy fix as you'd have to change the whole system. But thought I'd mention it. Defect/Suggestion: PbP text and results seem oddly mismatched at times. Example: Miss State ball, Q3, 1-10-MSST20 (01:26) 35-38 Offense: Short Pass, Set: Wishbone, Play: WB-FB-flat-SE-slant Defense: Stop Run, Set: 3-4, Play: 34-run-SZ Looks like good coverage downfield. QB Donald Allen throws a dumpoff pass to the flat. It's caught, and the receiver is tackled immediately by OLB Melvin Simpson. Wait, the ref has thrown a flag.It looks like Holding against CB Joseph Holland on Arkansas.MSST: Gain of 12 on the play.Holding against Arkansas, for 10 yards and an automatic first down. So, I'm playing SZ, and my OLB comes up and tackles a dumpoff pass to the flat "immediately", but there's a gain of 12 on the play? Just bizarre. Suggestion: On the PbP Report and Game Log that you can get to from within the game, could you turn on "word wrap"? Suggestion: Alternate PbP system. Personally, I don't care if the game sounds like a tv announcer. But I want more info about what just happened. Stuff like the OL stats showing up. Did a player get a key run block or a pancake? Did a player miss a key run block? Did RB just miss a hole, or create a big run? Were there yards after catch? What's happening to the clock (this whole area's a mystery to me). How many seconds ran off before or after the play? Since most of this is stats you can see after the game, I'm guessing its available. I'd be much more interested in seeing a very dry report of what happened in the play rather than an attempt to emulate an announcer who'd I'd probably mute during a real-life game anyways. :) Suggestion: On the clock (which is still a mystery to me), it would be nice to be able to tell the offense to either "hurry up" and use less time between plays... or "slow down" and use the full play clock between plays. Suggestion: On the clock (which is still a mystery to me), does the player going out of bounds or getting a first down make any differece? When I say I'd like more info on the clock in the PBP box, this is one of things that would help. Suggestion: It would be nice if subs automatically showed up on the screens in the game. Currently you have to click a play (even the same one you already had picked) to make the screen update. Suggestion: I know that area showing players and formation is small, but buttons to get more info in there would be nice if you can get it done. Either endurance, or player names and numbers at different times would help. Endurance to help know when to sub (lack of this is why I go to depth charts almost every play), or player names to know when the situational subs are screwing me up and I've got the wrong players in the game. I know you can get to this as a mouse-over tool tip type of thing, but I really don't want to mouse over 11 positions all the time.

I totally agree about your points concerning the PbP and the clock. I have no clue how the clock works and it seems like I have no control over it. I'll be up by 14 points in the 4th quarter, do a running play up the middle and only have 10 seconds go off the clock?? How is that possible? The PbP could be better as well, like you said, some don't make sense. Not a big deal to me because I'm more concerned in the result than really how I got there, but an improved PbP engine would be appreciated. The clock issue is MUCH more important to me.

I totally agree about your points concerning the PbP and the clock. I have no clue how the clock works and it seems like I have no control over it. I'll be up by 14 points in the 4th quarter, do a running play up the middle and only have 10 seconds go off the clock?? How is that possible? The PbP could be better as well, like you said, some don't make sense. Not a big deal to me because I'm more concerned in the result than really how I got there, but an improved PbP engine would be appreciated. The clock issue is MUCH more important to me.

yeah, it seems like clock management is a big deal for a coach and it is one thing we have limited control over, overall a great game though, but I would like to see this looked at. Also I love teams that grind it out on offense with a power running game and a punishing Defense, I would love to see the ability to wear a team down over the course of the game with fatuige carrying over, purhaps even set it up so that if a player gets hit too many times or is on too long their energy levels won't go up all the way due to being banged around (not like an injury that would show up, just minor bruses and general soreness effecting the player). It would be great to see the other team collapse after I dominate the time of possesion all day and just wear them out

yeah, it seems like clock management is a big deal for a coach and it is one thing we have limited control over, overall a great game though, but I would like to see this looked at. Also I love teams that grind it out on offense with a power running game and a punishing Defense, I would love to see the ability to wear a team down over the course of the game with fatuige carrying over, purhaps even set it up so that if a player gets hit too many times or is on too long their energy levels won't go up all the way due to being banged around (not like an injury that would show up, just minor bruses and general soreness effecting the player). It would be great to see the other team collapse after I dominate the time of possesion all day and just wear them out

Archived