Week 8. There is a team ranked #1 in RPI...#1 in Computer. but...#25 In Media...#24 in Coaches...#20 in GDCS. 6-0 record...1-0 vs. Top 25...SOS 18th. The #1 Team in all the other polls is...6-0...3-0...31...has the #1 Offense and the #14 Defense. Do the RPI/Computer Rankings seem reasonable in this case?

I've given up trying to beleive the polls can ever be right, especially when in the real world, USC beats up on Notre Dame, and leap frogs Michigan in the polls because of it, even though Michigan beat up the same exact team earlier in the year... :eek: One really get can't upset at the midseason rankings, its only the final one that counts, which usually is very accurate in this game. Still I do chuckle at the week to week changes we see. I was ranked #6 coaches and media, and around #28 cpu. I then whooped a team, gained 600 more yards than them and had the #1 offense and defense after the game, and here's how the polls moved based on that game: CPU jumped me up 18 spots, coaches stayed the same, and the media poll I dropped 6 spots. :confused: Thanks for being consistent there pollsters! :)

[QUOTE=Dave Hansen;162673]Week 8. There is a team ranked #1 in RPI...#1 in Computer. but...#25 In Media...#24 in Coaches...#20 in GDCS. 6-0 record...1-0 vs. Top 25...SOS 18th. The #1 Team in all the other polls is...6-0...3-0...31...has the #1 Offense and the #14 Defense. Do the RPI/Computer Rankings seem reasonable in this case?[/QUOTE] Are they in a power conference? Were they ranked in the top 25 to start the season? Last year, West Virginia wasn't ranked when they were 5-1 and were in the 20s at 6-1 - even though they had multiple top 25 wins and their one loss came to No. 3 Virginia Tech. At this time, the computers also had them in the top 10. If a team starts unranked, it may take a while for them to break the top 25.

Arlie- Oregon State is the team ranked #1 in RPI and Computer. They were unranked at the start of the season. Notre Dame is the team ranked #1 in both the Media, Coaches and GDCS Polls. They were ranked #3 in pre season. My question is not related to a team being unranked or not...my question is related to the big difference in the ranking between RPI/Computer vs. Media/Coaches Poll. Is the difference highly weighted to the SOS (#18 vs. #31) in the RPI/Computer poll asessment? How the #1 team, Notre Dame, who is ranked 1st in all the other polls, and 2nd in the RPI/Computer rankings be ranked behind Oregon State? Again, do the RPI/Computer Rankings seem reasonable?

The RPI is pretty standard and BBCF uses the normal calculation there like the main sites do. The CPU rating uses wins-losses, SOS, margin of victory and some other factors. So, you could have a team be an early computer favorite, but not be that impressive to the voters. I would say that by week 12-13, teams usually start getting close to the CPU number and over the original poll bias.

Archived