What's more important when choosing formations?

(a) your coordinator's preference/specialty or (b) your team's strengths For example, my coordinator prefers a 3-4 defense, but my linebackers are weak and my D-line is average. Would it be better to choose a 4-3 defense based on my D-line having more depth and slightly better talent that my LBs, or should I just stick with the coordinator's preference?

My DC prefers the 4-4 set and I have had a pretty good defense the past couple of years. This past year I lost one of my starting ILB's to graduation and recruited two solid players to replace him that I ended up redshirting because they didn't develope enough. I by chance landed a stud SS recruit and decided I couldn't let him sit so I switched to a 4-3 defense and have been pleased with the results so far. So bottom line here is that you can play to your teams strength and be good even if it doesn't fit your DC's strength.

Guest Nukester
Personally Ive decided not to try and shoehorn my players into a scheme that doesnt fit them, and it hasnt really hampered me much. Trying to play a 5-2-4 defense with a team with only 2 or 3 good defensive linemen, regardless of what the defensive coordinator likes, is a disaster waiting to happen. You do get a bump if they match, but I havent seen it be a huge difference. If things dont work out, Id just fire the coach next season and hire one that fits the players better. Just my 2 cents though

I agree totally with Nuke. If your players are more suited to a certain system, change the system to fit the players. I have also noticed that you can continue to get players suited to the current system (through recruiting and transfers) if your current players are upperclassmen and good. I run a 4-6 even though my DC's defense is a 4-4 and have had great success. My safeties came in togeather and totaled 7 All-Conference Honors (5 1st team), 3 All-Americans, and my SS was three time conference defensive player of the year. My defense was ranked 41, 107, 20, and 32 in total yards allowed. Between their Junior and Senior years I got an average FS (2.5 potential) that is playing out of his mind now that they left, and had a SS transfer in that is a 3.5 with 4.5 potential! My team currently has 33 prestige and started at about 28 when they came. Just adjust your current system to fit the players, then recruit players that fit that system. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give my two cents and give supporting evidence.

Archived