Question for Arlie about recruiting and scholarships

I noticed in my career as Buffalo, Wyoming had $19,000/week to work with and only 8 scholarships available, yet they ended up with the 92nd recruiting class and signed 15 players, including three 3-star recruits. How did they end up with 15 commits when they only had 8 available scholarships?

What happened was I only had 21K/week for recruiting for 15 scholarships. I thought that was very low, so I checked the other schools to see what they were getting. I noticed that Wyoming was the only school in the nation that had a smaller recruiting budget than me with 19K, but they only had 8 scholarships to fill. When checking the class rankings, I was surprised that they did so well, then noticed they SIGNED 15 players, including 3 3-star players; not including the one or two walk-ons they got as well. I didn't understand how a team with 8 scholarships to fill in week 1 of recruiting was able to sign 15 players and 3 3-star recruits with only 19K/week and a 3-9 record the previous year. I double checked this year and they have 13 true Sophomores (this is during the pre-season of the following year). They signed 17 players this year and had only 1 walk-on. They don't have very good tallent and have low prestige, and I just don't see 5-7 guys from Wyoming leaving early to go pro; are they cutting players in the offseason? Is there a way to cut players in the offseason that I am unaware of? I just find this odd that they are signing so many people and have so few walk-ons.

That seems pretty close to what it should be. If you would have said they had 70+ schollies, then there may have been an issue. I'm guessing the initial listing of scholarship slots was off then. If they added 15 scholarships and are at 68 after that, then they had a lot more than 8 open spots in recruiting.

They are at 68 a year after that happened, I didn't count how many they had last year. They only had 1 walk-on last year and none this year. It just seems strange to me that a school with limited funding and poor records would have such a high percentage of scholarship players and be able to get 3 or 4 3-star players. I could see it if it was North Texas, FAU, or San Jose St, because these schools are in talent rich areas; but Wyoming? Oh well, it is probably just an isolated event as the recruiting and scholarship mechanics seem to be working well in the newest update. Hey, maybe they have a great recruiting head coach, and they had 7 players declare for the draft that year; stranger things have happened in college football.

Archived