Goal line/short yardage running

Is it just me and my line-up, or is short distance running extremely hard in this game? Normally, I can get decent yardage running inside, but whenever I get 1st-and-goal on the 1, I'm better off passing. Running from the goal-line formation usually results in a loss of 2 as someone from the defense gets through the OL and nails the ball-carrier. This is, essentially, why I've now gone through almost a season and a half, and despite having a winning record my total number of rushing touchdowns is 2. I'm coaching New Mexico, so part of the blame goes to my line-up; the team just isn't very good. On the other hand, neither are my opponents, I'm not exactly going out and playing the Ohio States of the world. And my OL is actually pretty decent.

I sim all my games but I see this result alot as well. I've run multiple schemes for offense, including Smash Mouth, and rarely get a back with more than 4 rushing TDs in a season, even rushing for 1300-1500 yards I can't tell you how many 1000 yard rushers I've had with only 1 or 2 scores. The only one I haven't used is the Option, but I'd expect the same results.

I suppose one thing that contributes to the lack of rushing TDs is the fact that RBs have such a hard time staying in bounds once they have nothing but green in front of them. I'm one game away from completing season 2, and so far *every* long TD run I've had (which is about 6 or 7) has been nerfed into a 15-20 yard gain because the refs say the RB stepped out of bounds.

Archived