What's considered a "long" title reign?

I think that best refers to the oldschool title reigns where it wasn't uncommon for a guy to hold the title for 2+ years... such as Bruno Sammartino's 8 year reign with the WWF title. or his second reign w was just around three years, even Hogan held the WCW title for just under 2 years at one point.

[QUOTE=The Gaz;183976]Ofcourse it depends what era in wrestling you play too because what people consider is a long title reign today was considered a short one 15+ years ago. These days I agree a year + is a long title reign.[/QUOTE] Well, era and/or type of promotion.. Ring of Honor just had Danielson end his reign after what.. year and a few months or so? Pretty long in today's wrestling scene. And WWE has been leaving titles on guys a lot longer, London and Spanky with their like nine month reign as WWE Smackdown tag champs, JBL with his ten month reign as WWE champ, Helms with his almost year long reign as Cruiserweight champ, etc.

[QUOTE=Ping von Erich;183980]Well, era and/or type of promotion.. Ring of Honor just had Danielson end his reign after what.. year and a few months or so? Pretty long in today's wrestling scene. And WWE has been leaving titles on guys a lot longer, Helms and Spanky with their like nine month reign as WWE Smackdown tag champs, JBL with his ten month reign as WWE champ, Helms with his almost year long reign as Cruiserweight champ, etc.[/QUOTE] Samoa Joe held the ROH title for 21 months which by todays standards is a hell of a long time

[QUOTE=Ping von Erich;183980]Well, era and/or type of promotion.. Ring of Honor just had Danielson end his reign after what.. year and a few months or so? Pretty long in today's wrestling scene. And WWE has been leaving titles on guys a lot longer, London and Spanky with their like nine month reign as WWE Smackdown tag champs, JBL with his ten month reign as WWE champ, Helms with his almost year long reign as Cruiserweight champ, etc.[/QUOTE] Ah yes agreed.

I find defences a better way to quantify a reign since in the same year two different workers could have a huge disparity in defences depending on how often their respective promotions run shows. Saying that, I would consider a year to be a pretty important milestone in anyone's reign.

Archived