The recruits who approach you at the start of the recruiting period

I'm soon about to start recruiting my 4th class of student athletes. At the start of each of the previous recruiting periods, I've gotten mail from one kid telling me about their interest in playing for the University of New Mexico. Each of them has been a linebacker from Florida (and a good one; they've all turned into starters at some point in their freshman season). Is that just a fluke?

Through 5 seasons with UNLV I've gotten letters from 2 LBs (1 ILB, 1 OLB) a CB and a Saftey. Never an offensive player. Almost always the best player at their position on my squad when they come. A smattering of states...though all but one said their dad played for UNLV back in the day. One of the Bastards had the nerve to not accept a scholorship to my team after all that recruiting.

[QUOTE=Kekkonen;186106]I'm soon about to start recruiting my 4th class of student athletes. At the start of each of the previous recruiting periods, I've gotten mail from one kid telling me about their interest in playing for the University of New Mexico. Each of them has been a linebacker from Florida (and a good one; they've all turned into starters at some point in their freshman season). Is that just a fluke?[/QUOTE] Its not a fluke. If your team prestige is below a certain level (around 60, but I don't know the exact value) you will get an e-mail from a recruit interested in coming to your school from out of the recruitment zone your team is in. THey don't necessarily fill an immediate need, but they usually are solid players who are either better than anyone else you can expect to get (prestige of team under 45) or about middle of the pack of the recruits you'll bring in. I always try to land these recruits though because they usually will be starting by the end of their sophomore year.

[QUOTE=Meat;186154]though all but one said their dad played for UNLV back in the day. One of the Bastards had the nerve to not accept a scholorship to my team after all that recruiting.[/QUOTE] I had a career with FIU a few years ago and a lot of the letters said the player's dad played at FIU; pretty funny since FIU has had a football team for less than 10 years.

Hmm... I had one whose dad had played at UNM (and despite all my recruiting, the little bastard broke with family tradition and went to Maryland or someplace such), one who had a girlfriend here, and one whose best friend was my red-shirting FS.

Not only was this guy a 4-star recruit (which is good for my ca. 55 prestige UNM Lobos), he was good enough to be the nickelback in my secondary right away. What's more, in his first game he returned an interception for a TD in the waning minutes of a blowout.

Archived