"Quick offseason" option

Having never played TPF I can't commit on that, but I don't see how a "quick" off-season would be beneficial to multiplayer games. You have to take time to sign players in free agency and different things like that, so I'm not sure that I understand why you would want a quick offseason. As that is where you improve your team, and would be the best part of a multi-player game.

[QUOTE=ACCBiggz;190216]Having never played TPF I can't commit on that, but I don't see how a "quick" off-season would be beneficial to multiplayer games. You have to take time to sign players in free agency and different things like that, so I'm not sure that I understand why you would want a quick offseason. As that is where you improve your team, and would be the best part of a multi-player game.[/QUOTE] A full offseason in TPF was 20 weeks requiring 20 sims. By "Quick Offseason", I'm not asking for an option that skips the entire offseason. Instead, I want something that shortens the length. Most TPF leagues did not run 20 sims to sim every single week of the offseason. Instead they would sim multiple weeks in a row in order to cut down on the total length. Simming multiple weeks in a row resulted in some problems that are not worth going into because this new game will not be TPF. And just to re-iterate, this would be an option, not the default. If a multiplayer league wants to spend a couple of real-time months in the offseason they still would be able to. [quote]I'm presently in NFLSim, a TPF league, and actually the offseason runs very quickly each year.[/quote] Thanks for sharing your opinion. I ran a TPF league for multiple seasons and my league format was copied by many different leagues. I was as knowledgeable about TPF multiplayer leagues as any other person. So my opinion is not invalid.

[code]Sun - 19 Nov Free Agent offers rd 1,2 Mon– 20 Nov Free Agent offers rd 3,4 Tues- 21 Nov Free Agent Rd 5 Mon – 27 Nov Free Agent Rd 6 Tue – 28 Nov Free Agent Rd 7, 8, 9 Wed – 29 Nov Free Agent Rd 10, 11, 12 Thurs – 30 Nov Free Agent Rd 13, 14, 15 [/code] I went over to the NFLSim forums and found a post detailing the 2013 offseason. I cut and pasted some relevant parts above. You can see what I mean by the schedule listed above. Multiple weeks are simmed together in order to speed up the offseason. In addition this league is simming every day (ignoring the break in between for Thanksgiving) in order to move the offseason at a decent pace. All I'd like to see is an option that doesn't require you to sim multiple weeks in a row and instead, for example, of having 20 total weeks like TPF, the short offseason option would have 10 or less.

[QUOTE=Bob Hanson;190340] I was as knowledgeable about TPF multiplayer leagues as any other person. So my opinion is not invalid.[/QUOTE] Dude, where did I say your opinion was invalid? I stated my findings from my online experience with TPF. FWIW, I've got a bit of experience in commishing online leagues and moving things along despite the game's setup. Shed that huge chip on your shoulder, please.

I think you're both misreading each other. I'm not even sure Cooley was responding to your post, Bob. Please, let's work together, rather than figure out who's done what. As someone who also has a lot of commish experience, and TPF commish experience, I think the offseason in TPF was the best possible scenario at the time. And, as Bob has said, there are plenty of ways to get around the length (ie condensing sims). When I ran the AFL, it took about a month (I put a lot of emphasis on the draft, and we simmed a week a day). Now, I do ask this of Bob: Definte your "quick offseason" option. Nowhere in your posts has this been adequately defined, so in all honestly, nobody here knows for sure what this would entail. Before making any judgment on such a topic, I think we need to see what your plan would be. So, let's see if this is a feasible plan, and get something out there for Arlie to look at. I think this is an option that, if feasible, should be in the game. But, as always, it should be just that...an option. -John

Posts #4 and #5 are meant to explain what I'm looking for. In a nutsell: TPF has 20 offseason weeks. I'd prefer an option that allows for a shorter offseason. Something like: FA weeks 1-2 Draft Week (draft must be able to be saved in progress) Undrafted Free Agent Week FA week 3 FA week 4, Roster Bonus Vesting Week FA week 5, June 1 Cut Day FA week 6 This shortens the offseason so that online league commissioners do not have to sim multiple weeks in order to speed up the offseason. Simming mulitple weeks leads to problems because it doesn't always give players a chance to respond to new FA bids. But simming one TPF week at a time takes a really long time even in a league that tries to sim every day. Simming every day is not always possible in leagues with busy adults who don't have time to commit daily to a game.

Bob, Please do not make assumptions. I'll be 27 in a month, and when I ran the AFL, I was 24, married, working a full-time job and coaching boys basketball for one of the top high school programs in Pennsylvania. I know not everyone can do it, but in stretches, it could be done. You know as well as I do that commishes make the biggest sacrifices to run a league. In my own league, the owners knew that, and met me half way (this schedule was voted on by the league members). I know you're not talking about just me in the last part of your post, but your post makes it seem as though you've pegged me as being in high school or college, and it comes off somewhat as you talking down to me. I'm not; in fact, I worked for .400, and I wrote that ****ty technical manual for TPF, when Joe Stallings gave me no focus and no feedback on all of my rough drafts. If my diatribe was not accurate, I apologize. But that's how you came off, and this is my very civil, adult response. ; ) Now, to clarify: In simming everyday, that was not every single week. I have to go back and look at how my scheduling went, but I gave time for the draft, and to prepare for FA. Now, as far as what you've proposed, I will state that the biggest thing, and this is a *must* for this new game, is that the [B]draft needs to be able to be saved in progress[/B]. To me, in the offseason, there is not a bigger option to put into this game for this area. I would think that other ideas for this would be to allow for your staff to have input, and maybe some "forward thinking" in stages. For instance, maybe you can have the ability to "prioritize" a player through a click in the game, and if you're going to do a quick offseason, you could make sure your staff engages in a bidding war if you really want him. Something like "We will offer Player A three deals." Then you could submit your three options, and if the first option doesn't work, or if he gets into a bidding war, it'd automatically go to option B and so on. That may not be possible, but it's an idea that could use some batting around.

[QUOTE=Bob Hanson;190799]Cooley: It is quite clear from reading most of your replies to anyone who posts around here that you are the person who always gets defensive and comes off with a chip on his soldier. Pot..Kettle..Black.[/QUOTE] OK, think what you will, but I bet if you ask around, you'll get the opposite theory on me more times than not. Tell you what, ask one of the 100 plus owners in Gridiron Glory about my tone. Just to be clear, I agree that the offseason should be streamlined if possible, but I have to agree with Comey--your tone could be something other than the 'I did it first; I am the originator of the streamlined offseason via simming multiple weeks', so listen to me.

[QUOTE=Cooleyvol;190943]Just to be clear, I agree that the offseason should be streamlined if possible, but I have to agree with Comey--your tone could be something other than the 'I did it first; I am the originator of the streamlined offseason via simming multiple weeks', so listen to me.[/QUOTE] Fine, point taken although all I can say is you are reading into my tone. The only place my tone was meant to sound annoyed was in #4 when I replied to you. And that's only because I most likly read into your reply a tone that you did not mean to convey (Where I posted an opinion and your only response was to disagree which, with no other context, I interpreted as simply saying I was wrong). The joys of message boards...

I say, and Bob, you have this in PM, that we work together here. I think we are, but we're still based on separate ideas, based on experiences. We're likely the three most experienced commishes of an Arlie-based football game. We have to work together on this. So, let's stop talking about tone and whatever, and let's get to the meat of the matter.

There is a key point to the length of the off-season. It depends on the role that you take with a team. I have never enjoyed Front office Football (FOF) after it's first couple of editions. But i bought the new edition and fooled around with it a bit and then put it away. i took it out about a month ago and decided to rush thru each in season but really take some time in the off-season as the GM. I found it is a fantastic game if you play it as the Gm. The aspect of coaching each (calling plays and defenses) is not that good however. Personally i like to do both in a game- be the Gm and the Coach but i have found that coaching is really tough to get right. Bowl Bound comes as close to a great in-game coaching experience that i have found. In fact i think bowl bound is the best sim game on the market (football and baseball). I liked TPF and in many ways i thought it was a better game than FOF but i would strongly advise Arlie to look carefully at the way the Gm functions of FOF are set-up. It really is done extremely well.

Archived