recruits choosing schools?

just wondering if the recruits will go to the best team offer or go to a less popular school to go play for a college coach.hope this makes sence to all. lets see if a can explain better a recruit gets an offer from Notre Dame and it seems to be the best place to play but will have to wait 2 yrs to play. but say if a college team like vanderbelt tell him that if he chooses them he can start right away. or if he likes to play for a coach.

Makes sense. Or even a player that has a high "winner rating" and would commit to an Oklahoma or USC (currently) even if he'd have to wait the two years in order to challenge for a championship. Or, which teams get more recruits drafted in the NFL. A player may have a close "stay at home" rating but will commit to a far-off school if they have a high percentage chance of getting him drafted if that's what his ultimate goal is. Naturally, this is taking into consideration a player will have certain ratings as far as their personal goals.

This is a good point. I think you see a few different reasons recruits choose different schools. I think that a combination of the following factors should determine where they go. These are in no particular order. 1. Playing time - Some recruits almost demand to play early, others are willing to wait. If you try to recruit the #1 QB to Miami and Miami already has 3 great QB's it might be a harder sell. 2. Quality of education - It does factor into account if the player is being recruited by Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern etc. 3. Proximity to home - Some players it really matters to, others it doesn't. Also there are some players that WANT to go away from home. 4. Childhood favorite - This also plays into a recruits mind, and the childhood favroite isnt always the team closest to home. 5. Relationship with coach - Since there are no position coaches it would be the relationship with the head coach or possibly coordinator. 6. Program prestige - To borrow a line from EA's games, players are wooed by the prestige of the program. 7. Type of offense or defensive system - This is more relevant with offensive players, especially QB's, but I think it would be harder to recruit a top notch RB to a program like maybe Texas Tech, Illinois or Florida but it would be easier to get them to play for Texas, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan etc. On the other hand a QB is going to want to play for Miami, Tennessee or USC before they sign with a team like Ohio State or Wisconsin. 8. Ability to get to the NFL - In these current times there are recruits that just want to get to the next level and there are also a certain number of recruits that are can't miss types of prospects where all college ball is for them is a stepping stone to the NFL. So possibly these recruits would look at how many NFL players this school has produced or how many it has produced at a certain position. For instance Miami has gotten McGahee, Gore and Portis into the NFL recently while the other Florida schools havent been as successful as Miami. So possibly a top RB from the sunshine state would take that into consideration. If I have forgotten any feel free to chime in and add them, but I think this is a pretty good list.

Another component to that would be if several players from said recruit's school are already playing at the university, he may be more likely to go to a smaller school because of familiarity. I know that when Ryan Moats was playing at Louisiana Tech, players at his old school were easier to convince to come to Tech, and it's a five and a half hour drive to Dallas from Ruston. KennyWan Chizoate

I was actually just coming back on to post that. 9. Former Teammates or past high school players from the same school played at that school - If a player attended a school that doesnt get many players recruited then they might be a little more inclined to go to a school that has recruited players from that school in the past, or if a former teammate/friend/relative already plays at that school they might be more inclined to go there.

That's very similar to a "pipeline". You hear a lot about that in the last couple of years where high school coaches have a relationship with a college coach and tried to funnel his players there. I believe I read somewhere that a Georgia high school was sending alot of kids to Maryland or something along those lines. Speaking of, would you be able to hire a high school coach for your staff to get a leg up on a recruit? Also, will the game have an option (I used it once in TCY for fun and got busted) to offer a recruit "enticements" to attend your school? There should be random occurances too, such as booster input that could get you put on probation or fired on occasion (not too often). Maybe put "booster control" in some sort of slider with gameplanning, recruiting, etc and if you put a big emphasis on controlling boosters it would naturally leave you less time for recruiting and other time sensitive items.

Archived