Issue with setting % of snaps for starters..

From what I understand, in theory, if you set a starter's playing time at 65% -- he should see roughly 65% of the snaps for the game, with his backup seeing 35%. Am I correct so far? I have some youth on my OL and I am trying to get a lot of rotation. I have an OG position set for 60% with the other for 70%. I am thinking that my backup OGs should both see some action; however, when I look at their personal pages, they've only played in 1 of 5 games. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried both enabling CPU sub and disabling it, but I'm not sure what the key is. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've had this happen in a 4-3 defense, where the backup DT on the weak side can go the entire season with 0 games played. One other item, is in the depth chart make sure the checkbox next to your starter isn't checked, as that will keep them in the lineup I think.

I think I've had this on the DL as well. I think my specialty players (QBs, RBs, etc.) have been roughly comparable to my %s, but I've struggled with getting it to work with the lineman. I think I've even had issues when I manually replaced an OL in the game and that didn't register any plays. I'd lobe to know how to get this to work. I'm a sucker for depth and lots of players seeing action. --On the same issue -- I believe I've had holders and LS that are "starters" on special teams, but never show a game played.

This is by far my biggest complaint with this game, an error I consider pretty critical. You don't get credit for a game played unless you record some kind of stat, or you're part of the starting lineup. In other words, if you start the first play of the game and then don't play again, you get credit for a game played. If you're coming off the bench, you can play 75 snaps but if you don't make a tackle, miss a tackle, carry the ball, blow a block, etc., the AI doesn't give you credit for playing a game. Then, at the end of the year, I've got guys who really played in 12 games but are just showing as playing 3 that are transferring, obstensibly for more playing time. Arlie, if you're reading this thread, PLEASE FIX THIS. The AI should count all 11 players in the game each snap and use that as the means for determining games played.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;221682]I think the general concensus here is correct. The game will not "credit" a player for a game played unless he registers a stat or starts the game. It is something that I will fix for future versions.[/QUOTE] Thanks, Arlie. My suggestion would be to design a new stat, "snaps played" and just use that as your determiner. That would also be useful to us in counting the number of, say, bad plays an OL allowed against the number of snaps he's played over the year. For instance, 5 sacks allowed isn't terrible unless you only play 8 total snaps, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
This doesn't really impact transfers. Starts at their primary position, overall spot on the depth chart throughout the season and perceived spot for next season impact that. If your hope with a top level OG is to put them in a rotation (ie, 2nd or 3rd string) at guard to keep them happy, it wouldn't work any better if we had "games played" recorded properly for them. Either they are going to be OK with being a depth/2nd stringer or they are going to want to start. Games played isn't even looked at in the process. The items looked at are starts, average depth position and the stats they have accumulated (esp things like carries, catches, ...). That then gets checked against their promised role when recruited, internal character attributes (ego, play for winner, hometown, ...) and their overall ability/potential. So, even if I added in games played tomorrow for the guys who don't get stats, transfers would still behave in the same manner.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;225496]This doesn't really impact transfers. Starts at their primary position, overall spot on the depth chart throughout the season and perceived spot for next season impact that. If your hope with a top level OG is to put them in a rotation (ie, 2nd or 3rd string) at guard to keep them happy, it wouldn't work any better if we had "games played" recorded properly for them. Either they are going to be OK with being a depth/2nd stringer or they are going to want to start. Games played isn't even looked at in the process. The items looked at are starts, average depth position and the stats they have accumulated (esp things like carries, catches, ...). That then gets checked against their promised role when recruited, internal character attributes (ego, play for winner, hometown, ...) and their overall ability/potential. So, even if I added in games played tomorrow for the guys who don't get stats, transfers would still behave in the same manner.[/QUOTE] Yes, but when setting depth charts and looking at stats, I would like to be able to see whether or not a person has experience. For example, if my senior guard graduated and I had two sophmores with similar ability but one played in 10 games as a freshman and the other only played in one; it would help with deciphering stats. Say the one who played in 10 games only had 10 mistakes and 5 pancakes, but the one who played only 1 game had 2 mistakes and 1 pancake, you can see the one who played in 10 games had far less mistakes per game. But if he only registered stats in 5 games, it would look like he made more mistakes in the games played than he actually did. Plus, I would like to see players develop and have ST stats. Many guys spend a couple years only on ST before they break into the lineup. Being on ST gives them game experience and should keep their morale up because they are actually playing. If you don't gain stats or games played on ST, why even let us set the teams? It seems like the only thing that can happen by putting someone on the special teams units is for them to get hurt.

Same here. My No. 2 issue behind the "games played" modification is to get tackle stats and participation stats recorded for special teams. In case you were wondering (even if you weren't), here's my overall list, Arlie: 1) Games played stat 2) Special teams stats 3) More playcalling options for the shotgun set, especially for running plays, up to and including "spread option" as an offensive system 4) Drive-by-wire substitution system (i.e., you don't have to go into the "set lineup" screen to do it; some of the controls would be out front, so I could quickly swap running backs if I needed to just before I called a play that fit that player's individual strength) 5) Fix the face mask penalty issue -- if a player carries for one yard, and has his face mask pulled, the next snap is 1st and 4, not 2nd and 4. 6) More player faces/PBP options 7) Expanded in-season recruiting, to include early commitments 8. Expand rosters to 85 scholarshipped/105 total, to mimic real college rosters 9) Ability to turn transfer function off entirely 10) Ability to modify your coaches' ages, and your coaches' abilities 11) Expand assistant coaching staff to full 9 assistants 12) Make recruiting an attribute for assistant coaches 13) Fix clock inconsistencies (i.e., the clock seems to stop on sacks in this game, which only happens in the pros; time runs off during PAT attempts, etc.) 14) Ability to see recruit player cards in season. 15) Clean up some of the penalty inconsistencies -- especially the tripping penalty, which gets called about once every other season per team, if that, but seems to show up five times a year in this game.

Archived