The Beginnings of a Beer Swilling Redneck - The Steve Austin Story

[U][B]Saturday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] I make my way to the arena after a hard day on the streets and stairs, as I was working on picking up my wind. Marty is waiting for me as I get there, and he doesn’t look happy. He tells me that he’s gotta take on Otto Wanz all by himself tonight. I tell him that really sucks, and he tells me that isn’t all of it. He says that I’m facing one of Japan’s top superstars, Tatsumi Fujinami. Not good. [I]Steve Austin v. Tatsumi Fujinami[/I] I can’t even describe this beat down. Fujinami controls the match from the opening bell, and even though a few trips to the outside put on a decent show, there was no question as to who the winner would be. I tried to even up the odds by smashing Fujinami with a chair, but the ref DQ’ed me because of it.

[U][B]Sunday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] After I left the arena last night in a tirade after getting disqualified, I decided to relax for a few minutes today. I called up Chris and said I was getting a bit discouraged, and he gave me a pep talk, making me feel better. 2 and 2 on the week, by far my worst week in professional wrestling. US Overness: 10 (+10) Spirit: 20 (+10) Power: 44 (+0) Technique: 38 (+2) Speed: 45 (+1) Psychology: 60 (+5) Stamina: 38 Toughness: 76 (+0) Charisma: 80 (+0) Microphone: 49 (+0) Safety: 66 (+2) Looks: 78 (+0) Respect: 6 (+4)

[U][B]Monday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] After an even week last week, I want to get off to a quick start this week. I get to the arena and Lawler lets me know I’m facing Leo Burke tonight in an upper midcard bout. I nod as I know it’s gonna be a tough match. I chat with Kung Fu, and he asks me if I’ve thought about heading to Mexico yet. With the way he’s pushing me, I might just do it. I see a familiar face in Otto Wanz, who has just been signed here in CWA. Wanz wishes me good luck tonight. I know I’m gonna need it. [I]Steve Austin v. Leo Burke One Fall Tables Match[/I] And it’s my kind of match against Burke, as it’s a tables match. I’ve only been in one so far, and I won that one against Jim Neidhart, so hopefully I can do it again. Burke starts off with a headlock and he goes up top immediately and hits a flying axe handle. I’m starting to get sick of that move. He hits a single leg trip, but I slip away from a knee drop, and I start working on the knees with a hard stomp to the knee and an elbow drop to the right one. Burke gets to his feet and hits a hard forearm to my gut, then another forearm to the back of my head. He lifts me with a hammerlock, and a rear amateur takedown. I’m able to duck another forearm shot and hit a suplex. Burke whips me, but I toss him into the corner myself. I miss with a shoulder, and he hits me with another forearm and another amateur takedown. He misses with a knee drop, so I lock in an armbar, with a pair of elbow drops to the right knee. I decide that it’s time for me to go up top, and I hit a double axehandle! I miss on a twisting neckbreaker, so it’s time to go psychological, and I give him a vicious berating. I hit a hard dropkick to his knee, so I go with a elbow to that right knee again, and I give him a hard second rope knee stomp, and another grounded knee stomp! Burke is hurting now, so I scoop him up and use a backbreaker into the turnbuckle. It’s time for the tables, so I roll out of the ring and shove one back in the ring. But Burke is back on his feet, and he comes off the top rope with a double axe handle again! He takes this time to set the table up, and then he hits a knee drive to my thigh. He tries to go up top again, but I catch him in a Samoan drop, right through the table he just set up! The ref raises my hand in victory as the crowd is going wild for the carnage! I’m still in shock as I look down and see a prone Burke, and the damage control guys come out to haul Burke to the back. Lawler congratulates me on a good job, and says it was one of the best matches he’s seen me put on.

[U][B]Tuesday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] I finally give in to Kung Fu, who is still hounding me to go to wrestle in Mexico, so I tell him to give me the number to someone down there. He gives me the number to a company called Universal Wrestling Association, the UWA. I talk to Francisco Flores, and Mr. Flores tells me he’ll pay for my plane tickets to the UWA shows and $20 per appearance to be an opening heel. I say that’s fine, but that I only want the contract for three months. He says that’s excellent, and that he’ll see me on Thursday, because he knows I’ve got other obligations to Central States and CWA. [U][B]Wednesday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] I get to the arena for Wrestling at the Chase, and I’m met at the door by Kung Fu. Word travels fast it seems, as he congratulates me on starting at UWA tomorrow night. I smile and nod, while he says that we’re teaming with Marty tonight to face Bobby Fulton, Hercules Ayala, and Dr. Tom Pritchard right after the opener. I see Tully Blanchard, and I go by to chat with him for a moment. He seems to have forgiven me for my bump a few weeks ago, and we have a good conversation. He gives me a little help on my in ring storytelling before my match begins. [I]Steve Austin, Marty Jannetty, & Kung Fu v. Bobby Fulton, Hercules Ayala & Dr. Tom Pritchard[/I] Kung Fu starts out against Fulton, and he goes straight for the throat, as Kung Fu locks in an arm wringer, with a European uppercut and he tosses Fulton out of the ring. Fu follows him outside with a hard baseball slide, and he follows up with a chinlock, a neck snap, and a seated kick! Fulton gets back on his feet and hits a dropkick, and rolls Fu back in. Fu hits a back fist, but Fulton jumps back up and hops up the ropes for a flying knee! He tags right out to Dr. Tom. Tom dives right in with a single leg trip, and hits a hard knee drive to the leg, and follows up with a pair of knee drops and a pair of grounded arm bars. Fu gets to his feet and locks in a body scissors, and moves up with a head scissors. Fu tries to tag out several times, but Pritchard keeps him from tagging out. He finally locks in an arm wringer, and drags Tom over to tag out to me. I go straight to the good stuff, and I toss Pritchard over the top rope. I miss with a baseball slide, but he goes up top and misses with an axehandle. I scoop him up and slam him onto a chair, and I go for the legs with a pair of elbows to his right knee. As he lays there, I spit on him and shout for him to get up! He staggers up, and I dropkick him back into the ring apron, and then I grind my foot into his knee on the steps! He grabs my head and headbutts me, but I roll around him and suplex him onto a chair! I lock in a spinning toe hold, and he’s obviously hurting. I decide to roll him back in, and he staggers up. I hit him with a face crusher, but he doesn’t stay down! Since his legs are hurting, I lock in the Texas Cloverleaf, and he taps like a little girl! Not as good a match as I’d have liked with the caliber of opponent Dr. Tom is, but it’ll work as a win. I have to head straight out and catch a plane to the UWA card tomorrow night. Hopefully I can impress down in Mexico in a way that I don’t just seem to here in the states.

[U][B]Thursday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] I get to the arena first thing in the morning to chat with Mr. Flores about the differences between Mexican and American wrestling. Flores tells me that I’m facing a young veteran in The Cobra in an upper midcard fight here tonight. He tells me to be ready for a weak reaction, since no one knows me. I chat with Cobra, and he gives me some pointers on working the Mexican crowds as a rudo, which I’ve finally figured out means bad guy. [I]Steve Austin v. The Cobra[/I] I figured that this match would probably go back and forth, with whoever getting the early upper hand would be the longest lasting competitor. Cobra kicks things off with a hard European uppercut, and an arm wringer. He hits a monkey flip, a hard knee pull, and a knee drive to my leg. Finally I get to my feet and I ram him into the corner with a hammerlock drive, but he’s able to slip away from my shoulder ram. We trade off holds for a minute or so before he hits another monkey flip, and then a few hard punches and another knee pull. I finally get him on the ground, where I hit a couple of elbows to his left knee, and then I toss him outside. I miss with my baseball slide, but I don’t miss as I duck a rolling wheel kick and slam him into a chair. Since the referee got knocked down in the opening exchanges like they always do, I pick him up and back suplex Cobra through a table. I pick him back up for another onto the same chair, and I yell a few choice words at Cobra, then a few more at the crowd. Cobra staggers up, and I drop him onto the guard rail. He finally gets his wits back about him and hits me with a spinning back hand, but I dropkick his knee. Neither of us can regain the upper hand for a few minutes as we battle back and forth around the outside until I slam his head into the guard rail! I go up top and miss with a flying knee, but Cobra can’t capitalize as I hit an atomic drop. He pulls me down with an arm wringer though, and we go back and forth yet again around the outside. I drop him again on the guard rail, and then I lock in a bear squeeze. He finally breaks free, but still no clear advantage until he hits a hard jab and a dropkick. He tries to drive my knee into the concrete, but I pull him over and into the ring steps! I go up top again, and this time I deliver with a double axe handle! It’s brawling time again, as I rake my fingers across his eyes, and a hard bionic elbow. He goes back on the offense quickly though, with another jab and a rolling wheel kick. Cobra has had enough of the outside of the ring, and he rolls me back in. He gets a hard legdrop on me, but I get back to my feet quickly and try for a face crusher. He pushes me away quickly and hits another wheel kick, followed by a basement dropkick and a springboard legdrop! I narrowly kick out, using all my strength. He goes for an enziguri, but I throw him off, and I start clawing at his mask! The crowd goes insane with boos, and I’m eating it up. I rolls him over with a Texas Cloverleaf, but he won’t give up. I let him up and play up the crowd some more, and he comes right for me with a triple kick combo. I block the last one and grab his head for a face crusher! He kicks out just barely, and I go for a vertical suplex. As he’s hanging there, I remember that Chris taught me a move that I could drop him into a powerslam from here, so I do so and get the three count! Mr. Flores meets up with me backstage and tells me that wasn’t bad for my debut here in Mexico. I did everything that I needed to do to come across as the bad guy, so I guess I’ll be coming back down here every Thursday, at least for a while.

[U][B]Friday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] Friday and it’s back to Memphis and CWA. I get to the arena and find out I’m facing Tony Falk and Rick Steiner, and I’m teamed with Otto Wanz! Maybe this time I’ll get a good win with Wanz with me. Before the show, I get to talk to Lance Russell. He gives me a few pointers on how to give a successful interview. I also chatted with Steve Keirn, who gave me a few in ring tips. [I]Steve Austin & Otto Wanz v. Tony Falk & Rick Steiner[/I] Big Otto starts out the match against Falk, and I’m anxious to watch Otto pick apart somebody. Otto hits a hard backbreaker, and then locks in a rear chinlock. He goes for an elbow drop, but Falk rolls away. He locks in a side headlock, and then whips Otto into the ropes. Falk is able to power Otto up for a backdrop, but Otto hops right back up and hits a forearm to Falk’s gut, then to the back. He locks in a hammerlock and pounds on Falk’s shoulder, and a standing arm lever. Falk finally gets back to his feet and hits a punch, but Otto takes it and hits a full nelson butt bomb, and a pair of hard knee jabs. He follows it up with a double stomp and a giant swing! Otto got him too close to the opposing corner though, and Falk tags in Steiner. Steiner whips Otto into the ropes and hits a headbutt, and he drops Otto to the ground with a leg trip. Rick picks Otto up and tries for a backbreaker, but Otto breaks it and hits another pair of hard forearm shots. Rick tries to get a hammerlock in, but Otto tosses him across the ring and tags me in! I go straight for the jugular with a bodyslam and an elbow drop, and then a fireman’s carry. Rick wiggles free though and hits a knee drive to my arm, and then a grounded arm bar. He can’t keep the pressure on though, as I break free and lock in an arm wringer, followed by a front facelock, a hard forearm shot to the head, and a hammerlock drive into the corner! I decide to try and choke out Rick. We slip back and forth for a few moves before I dropkick his knee. I spew a few venomous remarks at Rick, and then I pick him up for a twisting neckbreaker! I decide to work on his legs some more, so, I drape his leg on the second rope and jump on it. With a seated kick preceding it, I drive my heel into Rick’s knee, and I laugh heartily at Rick, who is floundering on the mat. I pick him up in a backbreaker, and I drive him into the turnbuckle. I decide to finish this up, so I toss Steiner out of the ring. I follow up with a baseball slide, and I try to back suplex him through the table, but he elbows me in the gut and tries to bodyslam me, but I slip free. I hit a hard backbreaker and try to lock in a Texas Cloverleaf to weaken him up, but he breaks free. He hits me with a headbutt, but I slip behind him and suplex him through the table! I roll him in the ring and hit my facecrusher for the win. Lawler tells me that with a few more matches like that, I’ll be headlining cards soon enough for him. I thank him and pack my gear to head for Central States for tomorrow’s card.

[U][B]Saturday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] As I was getting up to get ready to leave, I get a call from Mr. Geigel, telling me that he’s having a small card tonight on All Stars, and that I don’t have to come in tonight. How kind of him. [U][B]Sunday Week 4, August 1983[/B][/U] I have my first undefeated week in my pro wrestling career, as I go four and zero. I suppose all the training that I’ve gone through has led up to a good week. US Overness: 12 (+12) Mexico Overness: 1 (+1) Spirit: 24 (+14) Power: 44 (+0) Technique: 39 (+3) Speed: 46 (+2) Psychology: 60 (+5) Stamina: 38 (+0) Toughness: 77 (+3) Charisma: 80 (+0) Microphone: 49 (+0) Safety: 68 (+4) Looks: 78 (+0) Respect: 7 (+5)

Archived