The Beginnings of a Beer Swilling Redneck - The Steve Austin Story

Hey guys I finally decided I wanted to try my hand at creating a diary, so I'm gonna start with someone we all know and love (or hate), good old Stone Cold. Although he's not actually Stone Cold in 1983. I'll get around to turning him into that someday. First installment will be up tonight. Hope you will all enjoy! KennyWan Chizoate

Back when I was in elementary and junior high, Steve Austin was the guy I loved to watch ... my favorite match was one where he got buried alive by the Undertaker, but that wasn't until I was in high school. Once I graduated, I kind of left wrestling for some reason. But this one should be fun as hell to read :)

[B]Monday Week 1, August 1983[/B] D*mn, I never thought that Chris Adams was gonna let me actually get out and actually wrestle. Day in and day out he threw me around his little *ss gym until I couldn’t stand up. I guess I finally got what I paid for, since I’ve now got a crappy certificate that says I’m a bona fide wrestler. Hell, now I’ve gotta get a job! Well, I guess I need to introduce myself. My name is Steve Williams, and I’m 17 years old. My folks weren’t happy with me deciding to skip out of town after my senior year of high school, but I knew that I wasn’t going to get very far in college, and I didn’t want to wind up as a ranch hand the rest of my life in Victoria, Texas. Well, I call up my old buddy Jerry, who’s been working with Chris on setting up young guys like me with jobs after school. He sets me up with a couple of interviews, one with Jerry Jarrett, who owns CWA, and Bob Geigel, who owns CSTATE. Both guys offer me a try out match. Here are my stats right out of training camp: Overness is zero in all areas Spirit: 10 Power: 44 Technique: 36 Speed: 44 Psychology: 55 Stamina: 38 Toughness: 74 Charisma: 80 Microphone: 49 Safety: 64 Looks: 78 Respect: 2 After the phone calls, Jerry Lawler calls and tells me I need to be at their show tonight, as I’ll be trying out against one of their solid upper midcarders, Elijah Akeem. I get to the arena and Lawler greets me with a slightly worried look. He says that there’s been another wrestler named Steve Williams tearing up the southern US, and that he doesn’t want the crowd to get the wrong idea when they announce my name. He then tells me that I have ten minutes to come up with a new name to wrestle under, even if it’s only for tonight. Crap. I think about it, and then Lawler grabs me and says I had better have something or he’s just going to call me Marauder Steve. I just blurt out, “Call me Steve Austin.” Lawler nods his head, and the ring announcer calls it out. I’m on for the first time. [I]Steve Austin versus Elijah Akeem[/I] Akeem is a big, menacing man! I’m able to start out with the advantage, with an arm wringer and a dropkick, and a few ground moves before he gets up and wails on me! This is hurting like hell! I get pounded on for what seems like an hour before I slip out of a hammerlock drive and toss him out of the ring. I take the upper hand out there, hitting a baseball slide and a takedown to the hard concrete, but I try to get up on the apron and he tosses me back into the ring. I’m reeling, but I trip him out of the ring again, to no avail. The crowd is trying to pump me up, but it’s not doing a great deal as Akeem is just toying with me right now. He takes me back outside, but I slip free and shove him into the ring post! We battle back and forth around the outside before he tosses me back in. Trading blows again, I grab the advantage with a DDT! Akeem pulls out a set of brass knuckles, but the ref stops him before he can deck me. It wasn’t looking good for me as he hits a huge splash on me, but I somehow kick out! As Akeem is arguing with the referee, I see that the ref left the knucks on the apron. I crawl over to them and load them up. Akeem went over and tried to tear open a turnbuckle, but the ref stopped him at that. Akeem turns back to me as the ref puts the turnbuckle cover back on, and I nail Akeem with a brass knuckles punch! I slide them out of the ring and the ref makes the 1, 2, 3! I pull it out somehow, and I get the hell out of the ring myself and head to the showers! Randy Savage was watching on a closed circuit TV in the back, and he congratulated me on my debut win. He said he’d rate that match about a C, and then he gave me some pointers on how to work on my weak acting skills. After that, I kicked back with Randy and watched the rest of the show, with the best match of the night being The Rock and Roll Express beating King Kong Bundy and Rick Rude. I head back to the hotel, happy with my first ever night in professional wrestling.

[B]Tuesday Week 1, August 1983[/B] I wake up to a hard knock on my door. After grabbing a pair of pants and a t-shirt, I answer the door, and lo and behold, it’s Jerry Jarrett. I’m horrified that Jerry is seeing me straight out of the bed, but hell, it’s only eight in the morning. He’s got a briefcase with him, and he asks if he can sit down. After an absent wave of my hand, he cracks open the briefcase and hands me two pieces of paper. He says that there’s a lot of legal mumbo jumbo in there, but that it’s two choices of contract for me, either a six month or a year contract at $40 an appearance. He says that after last night, Akeem came to him and told him he’d be crazy if they didn’t hire me, so here he was. He hands me an ink pen, and I sign the six month contract. Hopefully I’ll be worth more to them in six months than I am now. Business done, Jerry heads out, leaving me feeling on top of the world. I get a call from my buddy Jerry, and he says that I’ve got a match tomorrow in CSTATE. It’s an awful long drive to the next arena, but I’ll be there. I get to the arena that afternoon, but no one is there to greet me like on Monday night. I find my way to Mr. Geigel’s office, where the card is posted on the door. I’m facing another veteran, this time Buzz Tyler. I’ve heard of Tyler before, but all I know is that he beats people senseless when he wins. Well, hell. I head into the locker room, and who do I see right away? Buzz Tyler himself. Tyler motions for me to come sit down with him. We chat for a few minutes, and Tyler gives me a few pointers for our match tonight. He says good luck, and turns to get ready for our match. [I]Steve Austin versus Buzz Tyler[/I] Buzz lets me get the upper hand early, with a couple of low level moves, but I get greedy and try to hit a top rope axe handle, which he counters with a forearm to my gut. We trade moves for a few minutes, then he throws me out of the ring. He pounds me for a few minutes before I slip away and then bodyslam him on the concrete. He keeps getting back up, so I scoop him up again and slam him on a chair this time. The ref didn’t like it, but who gives a damn? I go and drop him crotch first on the guard rail, then try to ram him into the ring post, but he counters and slams me to the ground. He keeps tossing me around outside the ring for several minutes until he gets tired of it and rolls me back in the ring. Both of us are getting worn out, me more than him. We battle back and forth around the ring, but he tries to whip me into the ropes and I nail the ref on accident. Everything goes crazy, as I try to hit brass knuckles punches, he tries to hammer me with suplexes, and it was just a melee. The ref gets up just in time to see a reverse uranage slam by Tyler on me, and he gets the three count. I’m a little upset at the loss, but Tyler helps me to the back, to the delight of the fans. I could hardly see, so the medical crew checked me out. They said I was fine, but Tyler offered to give me a ride back to the hotel where we were staying at. We played cards ‘til about four in the morning when we both passed out in our chairs from weariness and too much alcohol.

[B]Wednesday Week 1, August 1983[/B] Bob Geigel calls my hotel room around ten in the morning. Tyler stirs first and answers the phone. He talks me up to Geigel for a few minutes before I finally wake up. He hands me the phone, and Mr. Geigel tells me that I’ve got a six month contract at $40 an appearance if I want it. I tell him I’ll be by later this afternoon to put my John Hanc0ck on the contract. [B]Thursday Week 1, August 1983[/B] I’m off again today, so I hit the gym for a good workout, getting ready for Renegade Rampage in CWA tomorrow. [B]Friday Week 1, August 1983[/B] I get to the show early so I can mill around with some of the more experienced guys. Jerry Jarrett walks up beside me as I’m walking in, and he tells me I’m going up against veteran Jim Neidhart in a tables match! I head on in and get ready for the show in Neidhart sits down and chats with me. He tells me a few stories of his battles around the US, and we wish each other luck as I’m lacing up my boots. We’re not on until the midcard, so I chat with Norvell Austin. He laughs as I tell him how I came up with my ring name, and says I picked a good one. [I]Steve Austin v. Jim Neidhart One Fall Tables Match[/I] Neidhart starts the match out on fire, beating me down for the first five minutes or so with a bunch of holds and mat wrestling until I can finally toss him out of the ring. I hit a baseball slide as he pops up, then hold him on the mat with kicks and holds. He tries to throw me back in the ring, but I slam him onto a chair. We go round and round for a few minutes outside until I slam Neidhart into the ringpost. I set up a table and bodyslam him through it. I’m shocked, because Neidhart has been countering me the entire match. I’m pretty disappointed because it’s a pretty crappy match. I head to the back, where Jerry Lawler sees me shaking my head. He tells me not to worry about it, that I’ll get more chances to show the crowd I’m worth watching. I stick around for the rest of the show and watch Austin Idol retain his International title against Kareem Muhammed and Jerry Lawler retain the Southern Heavyweight title against Rick Rude.

[B]Saturday Week 1, August 1983[/B] I left early in the morning to head for Central States’ live TV show. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to show what I can do on live TV! I get to the arena and Marty Jannetty meets me at the door with a smile. He says that after watching me against Buzz Tyler on Tuesday, Bob Geigel has teamed us up to take on The Fantastics, Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers. I shake his hand and we tell each other we’re gonna put on a great match tonight. [I]Steve Austin and Marty Jannetty versus The Fantastics[/I] I start out in the ring against Fulton. I work him over with a few holds for a couple of minutes and tag in Jannetty. Marty hops straight to the top rope and hits a dropkick, and he and Fulton brawl to the outside of the ring. Marty hits a back suplex on Fulton onto a chair as I distract the ref, giving him the upper hand. Marty rolls Fulton back into the ring and hits a top rope elbow drop, leaving him motionless on the mat, then tags me in. I go straight for Fulton’s knees, leaving him hurting on the match. He tries to fight back into it, and finally gets the tag to Rogers! Rogers and I smack each other around before I drop him to the mat and head to the top rope. I try to hit a double axe handle, but Tommy hits me with a dropkick, sending me down. Tommy tosses me over the top rope, but I’m waiting for him as he comes to the outside, and I slam him down onto a steel chair. The ref didn’t like that a whole lot, and him yelling at me distracts me enough for Tommy to get back into the match. Rogers beats me down for what had to be ten minutes around the outside of the ring before dragging me back in. I try to tag out, but Rogers keeps me from getting to Marty. I can’t seem to break free, but finally Tommy misses from the top rope, letting me finally get Marty back in this thing! Marty comes out on fire, dropping Tommy with a couple of clotheslines, a few punches, and then tosses Rogers over the top rope. He goes for a running plancha dive through the ropes, but Rogers ducks, and Marty hits the security rail. I groan in aggravation, but Marty shakes the cobwebs out and the two eventually get back into the ring. Tommy tags out to Bobby, and Marty is able to get to me and tags me in! We battle around the ring for several minutes before I drop Bobby with a DDT, and I hit a Flying Elbow Smash! I try to get the pin, but Bobby kicks out at 2.99! We fight another minute before I kick Bobby in the gut. As he’s bent over like that, I get a killer idea for a move. I turn around, grab his head, and fall straight to my behind, jarring his whole head! It doesn’t put him down, no matter how much the crowd liked it. He staggers up and hits a hard suplex before tagging in Tommy. He looks at me surprised after I hit that surprise move on Bobby, and he whips me into the ropes. I pull that same combination again, and I drop Tommy with that sit down facegrab! I roll him over and I get the 1, 2, 3! Marty hops in the ring and we celebrate our first tag team victory. Maybe this new move has some promise to it?

[B]Sunday Week 1, August 1983[/B] Jannetty and I sit around all day in the gym, working on tag team moves, since we’ve decided we’re gonna team regularly here in Central States. We talk about a name, and we decide to call ourselves the Blond Bombshells. Pretty inventive, eh? At the end of my first week in the business, I think I’ve done pretty d*mn well. I’m 3-1, and I’ve got a new, steady tag team partner. Here’s an update on my stats US Overness: 7 (+7) Spirit: 16 (+6) Power: 44 (+0) Technique: 37 (+1) Speed: 44 (+0) Psychology: 57 (+2) Stamina: 38 Toughness: 76 (+0) Charisma: 80 (+0) Microphone: 49 (+0) Safety: 65 (+1) Looks: 78 Respect: 4 (+2) At this rate, I’ll be main eventing for somebody within the year!

• 2 weeks later...
[U][B]Monday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] Jerry Lawler calls me up and says to get to the ring early tonight, since I’m going up against Doug Gilbert in a midcard match. I get to the arena and chat with Lawler for a few minutes. He gives me a few pointers on in-ring storytelling before wishing me good luck. Stan Lane meets up with me before I head to the ring, telling me that he’s enjoyed my matches thus far in CWA. I thank him and head out to face Gilbert [I]Steve Austin v. Doug Gilbert[/I] I come out first, and Gilbert hops up the top turnbuckle as the match starts and hammers me with a double axe handle. Gilbert holds the upper hand for a few minutes before I slip out of a hammerlock and use a hammerlock drive to get the advantage. The match goes back and forth for a few minutes before I get on top again, working him with a few forearm strikes and then a dropkick. It’s short lived though, because Gilbert tears into me, with another double axe handle, a bunch of strikes, and a hard knee drop. I know it’s time to grab a breather, so I’m able to toss Gilbert outside. He staggers up, but I drop him right back down with a baseball slide. Gilbert tries to get me back in the ring, but I kick him and DDT him onto a nearby chair, then roll him back into the ring. He was playing possum though, and he nails me with a hard arm drag, then a hard knee drop. We go back and forth some more, but Gilbert sends me flying into the referee. Gilbert pulls out a set of brass knucks, but I duck, steal them, and deck him! The ref is still down! What now? I go up top for a flying knee drop, but Gilbert narrowly rolls away. The ref gets back up and the match keeps going on, but Gilbert hits me with a piledriver. I muscle my way out of the pinfall, but he hits me with a rapid fire pair of dropkicks, and then a running body press to make the pinfall. Poor match. I couldn’t even look at myself in the mirror for a few hours, but I figure it’s just one more learning experience.

[U][B]Tuesday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] A new Tuesday, and that means staying in Memphis and CWA. I get to the arena, and Lawler says that I’m facing Tony Falk tonight. I don’t know a lot about Falk, so Lawler fills me in quickly before heading on his way. Luckily, I see Falk lacing up his boots backstage, and I head over and talk to him. We talk about our styles, and Falk clues me in on his tendencies, so it should be a good match. I also go by and chat with Ricky Morton, who has the night off tonight. He tells me he’s been impressed with my performances so far, and is looking forward to watching me again tonight. [I]Steve Austin v. Tony Falk[/I] The first couple of minutes go by pretty quickly, as Falk and I swap arm and leg holds both standing and on the ground. I grab the advantage with a dropkick and a seated kick, and the ref finally gets back to his feet after getting knocked down first thing in the match. As Falk is writhing on the mat, I grab the top rope and bounce off the second rope for a knee stomp, and then use a grounded knee stomp to hurt him even worse. I try to get a full nelson on him, but Falk slams me into the corner, breaking the hold. We trade punches for a few moments, then I hit a hammerlock kick, and an atomic drop, but Falk keeps getting up. Falk puts up a fight with a headbutt, then a hammerlock and arm wringer, but I slip out of a hammerlock and hit a dropkick to his knee, then I go up top and hit a flying elbow smash. I thought that would take him out, but it only got a two count. He gets up and hits a second wind, stringing together a couple of hard forearm shots, but somehow I duck a running clothesline and hit him with my sitdown facegrab for the win! Unfortunately, it wasn’t a stellar match, but I do get the win. I called up Chris Adams and told him that I was having some trouble putting on good matches. He said he’d meet up with me when I got to Kansas City in the morning and we’d change up the moves that I had been doing with some more that he had taught me.

[U][B]Wednesday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] Chris meets me at the gym, and I’ve had only a little sleep. We decide that I need to concentrate on moves that’ll work on guys bigger than I am, seeing as I’m not a huge mountain of a man. We add in a couple of technical moves that will let me work those big guys over, including a drop toe hold, a back suplex, and a few other surprises for the big men. As the guys start to filter in, Mr. Geigel posts the card on his office door. Turns out for I’m facing a former opponent for the first time, as I’m taking on Tommy Rogers of The Fantastics, and the same guy I pinned in that tag match last week with a face crusher, which is what Chris called the move I used last week. I see Rogers chatting with Roger Kirby, who is the TV title and one half of the tag champs. We chat for a few minutes and I head on to get cleaned up before my match. [I]Steve Austin v. Tommy Rogers[/I] I start out with a leg drag and an elbow drop, but Rogers fights right back with an arm bar and a rear chinlock, but I reverse into an arm bar of my own. We keep trading blows for a couple of minutes until Rogers gets the upper hand with a hard snap mare, followed by a dropkick. He pounds on me a few more times, but he gets greedy with a try for a double axe handle off the top rope, and I counter with a dropkick! It starts going all my way after that counter, as I hit a second rope knee stomp, and then a grounded knee stomp as well. Tommy may not be able to stand when I’m through with him today! He shakes me off of a wrenching hammerlock, but I go back to the knees with an elbow drop, a hard back kick, and then a dropkick to the knee! He keeps standing, so I drop him with a DDT. I try to go for a new move Chris just taught me today in a Texas Cloverleaf, but Rogers slips free and hammers me with a hard right hand, but misses with a knee drop. I hit him with another hard kick, and I lock in the Cloverleaf! Tommy tries to get to the ropes, but I drag him back to the middle of the ring and make him tap out! My first ever submission win, and it felt pretty good. Still and all, it wasn’t a stellar match, and I’m beginning to wonder if it’s me, or if it’s who I’m facing that’s making these matches ho-hum.

[U][B]Thursday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] Off today, so I rest up for a while before heading back to Memphis for Renegade Rampage in CWA. [U][B]Friday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] I get to the arena and find out that I’m facing Jim Neidhart here again tonight. Lawler isn’t here tonight, so I chat a bit with Dutch Mantell, who’s filling in for Jerry tonight for some reason. Stan Lane is backstage as well, and we chat for a few minutes, Stan telling me a few stories about his mentor, Ric Flair! I tell Stan that I’ve been trying to emulate Ric a bit in my matches, but that it hasn’t been working out as I’d like it to. He laughs a bit and says that no one will ever be another Flair, but that I’ll find my niche sooner or later. I tell him I sure hope it’s sooner, and we share a laugh before I head out. [I]Steve Austin v. Jim Neidhart[/I] This time I’m squaring off with Jim in a regular match instead of a tables match. Jim smashes me with a clubbing blow, a hard gut kick, and a nasty arm wringer, but I slip out and hit a dropkick. I know that Jim’s a tough guy to bring down, so I go up top for a double axe handle, but he smashes a forearm to my gut, and then a hard bell clap. I try to hit a dropkick and miss, but I slip him with a fireman’s takedown, a little showy elbow drop, and a hard kick, followed by a rake on the ropes. I decide to take this one outside, and I toss Jim outside, and follow it up with a baseball slide. I scoop him up with a hard bodyslam, which just so happens to be onto a nearby chair, and follow up with a backbreaker. He manages to hit another clubbing blow and a nasty top wrist lock. He tries to go up top with a double axe handle, but he misses ever so slightly. He’s still standing, so I hit an arm wringer smash and try for a DDT, but he slips away and hits a hard forearm to my head. I get back on top quickly though, slipping out of a standing side headlock, and nail a backbreaker, a seated kick, and then I pick him up, smashing his shoulder and head into the ring post! Mr. Referee wasn’t too happy with me, as I rake my fingers across his eyes, and then I slam him again onto the chair. I hope I don’t get DQ’ed here, because the crowd is staring to come alive with the cheating! I scream a few abuses at Neidhart, who glares up at me! I roll Jim back in the ring and hit a back suplex. I try to lock in my Texas Cloverleaf, but Jim slips out. I kick him hard and use a spinning toe hold, but Neidhart gets to the ropes. I let him stagger up and miss a forearm, but I kick him in the stomach and hit a face crusher! I pin him, but he somehow kicks out! He staggers up, and I slip a set of brass knuckles on, but the ref sees me as I deck him, and I get disqualified after all! I go a bit nuts after the match, and I hit a face crusher on the ref as well, playing up to the crowd as I try to be heelish. It doesn’t work though, as the fans just keep cheering me on! I leave a bit disappointed in myself for losing, but that was the best match I’ve put on all week, and I carried Neidhart to a good match. Dutch Mantell grabs me on the way off the stage and says good job, but that I had better not abuse any refs with Jarrett or Lawler around, or they might can me. He said he’d smooth things over with my victim after the show.

[U][B]Saturday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] I get to the arena for Central States All-Stars tonight, and it seems like everywhere I turn there is a living legend in the building. I see Terry Funk chatting with Ken Mantell, and the pair motion me over. It seems that I’m facing Mantell tonight, and the three of us chat for a few minutes about that match until I see former NWA World Champ Harley Race! Race comes over to our little group, and chit chats with Funk for a few moments before clasping me on the shoulder and then telling me good luck. I’m a little too stunned to react, and as I stumble away, I bump into Tully Blanchard. He shoves me off and says, “Watch where you’re going, ya young little punk!” Mantell grabs me as Blanchard walks away, then tells me that it’s not worth me getting my *ss kicked. I decide he’s right, and I head out with him towards the ring. [I]Steve Austin v. Ken Mantell[/I] I whip Mantell to start the match, and drop him with a shoulder block. I try to kick him, but he snaps up and kicks me in the gut. He tries for a side headlock takedown, but I slip out and catch him on the chin with a dropkick, followed by a grounded arm bar and a couple of elbow drops to the knee. Mantell finally gets to his feet and hits a dropkick, but he can’t follow it up as I drop him with a fireman’s carry and another elbow to the knee. He tries to rally with an amateur takedown, but I slip free and hit a backbreaker. I get a bit ****y though, and go up top and he hits me with a hard forearm shot. He still can’t capitalize as I follow on through and use a leg drag, then another elbow to the knee! I play up the crowd and drop an elbow before picking him up, trying for a hammerlock drive, but it gets blocked. I try a different route, and hit an arm wringer, followed by a rope rake and a hard mafia kick! I go up top again, but yet again, Mantell breaks it up with a forearm shot. I try to play up the crowd after slipping out of another takedown attempt, but Mantell jumps on me and pounds me with a few more forearms, a hard dropkick, and locks in a head scissors. It’s not all over with though as I fight to my feet and pick up the smaller man with a standing spinebuster. As he lays there, I hop up the ropes and stomp down on his knees, and then I grind my foot into that knee again, setting him up for a Texas Cloverleaf. He tries to fight back, and knocks me down with a hard snap mare, and another head scissors. I get back up and he hits me with a couple of punches and a few hard forearms. He tries to send me into the ropes, but I reverse quickly, but he somehow still hits me with a hard backdrop. He tries to lock in a head scissors, but I break it and stagger to my feet. He’s a bit stunned that I’m getting up again, as I kick him in the gut and hit a face crusher! I fall on top of him and somehow hook the leg for the three count! I celebrate for a few moments before Mantell gets up and waylays me from behind! He picks me up and tries to throw me from the ring, but I hit him with another crusher as the crowd cheers me to the back.

[U][B]Sunday Week 2, August 1983[/B][/U] A well earned day off at the end of the week, but there will be no rest for the weary as I’m headed back to Memphis for the CWA show that is oddly called All-Stars as well. Nothing much new skill-wise, but here’s the run down: US Overness: 10 (+10) Spirit: 18 (+8) Power: 44 (+0) Technique: 38 (+2) Speed: 45 (+1) Psychology: 60 (+5) Stamina: 38 Toughness: 76 (+0) Charisma: 80 (+0) Microphone: 49 (+0) Safety: 66 (+2) Looks: 78 Respect: 6 (+4) I’m now 6-3 after five matches this week kept me busy, 3-2 on the week.

[U][B]Monday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] I get to the ring about two hours before the show, and Lawler catches up with me as I head for the locker room. He tells me that I’m facing Kung Fu here tonight, and that I might want to play as the heel here tonight, since I got a good reaction last time I played as a heel. I tell Lawler thanks and head on to get ready. Randy Savage is lounging backstage and gives me a few tips on working in the ring as I’m getting ready to go. [I]Steve Austin v. Kung Fu[/I] I know this one is gonna be tough throughout, because Kung Fu is an experienced wrestler. We shake hands to begin the match, but I promptly punch him in the face, drawing a nice little boo from the crowd. He tries to use a standing headlock, but I slip out and use a hammerlock to drive him into the corner, where I pound on him with my shoulder. I try to start working on his knees, but he won’t have any of that and he gets up, where I promptly kick him in the gut and follow it up with a suplex. I get to start working the knees, and then I drop a tuned up elbow drop on him, then a hard backbreaker on him. He finally staggers up as I try to hammerlock him into the corner again, but he slips out and tries the same on me, then he shoves me away and hops up the ropes for a second rope dropkick! He tries to keep it up, but I lock in a hammerlock, followed by a hard hammerlock kick. As he staggers there for a moment, I play up to the crowd, who gives me a good reaction. I kick him in the stomach again, but I miss with a low dropkick. Kung Fu follows with a snap mare and an elbow drop, but I slip out of a rear chinlock and hit a back suplex. Now it’s time for a trick I learned watching some old Mexican wrestling on TV, as I start clawing at his mask! The crowd likes it, as I finally let go, and then hop on the rope for a hard stomp on the knee. I grind the heel of my boot into the back of his knee, and then I hit a dropkick straight to his knee, followed by an elbow drop. I berate him for a few moments as he gets up, and I try to DDT him, but he breaks it. I follow up with a back breaker into the turnbuckle, then try for a Russian legsweep, but he slips out and hits a drop toe hold and an elbow drop. I try to break free, but he whips me into the ropes and hits a Tomahawk chop, followed up by a body scissors. He tries to mess with my neck a bit more with a snap, but I’m not having any more of that and I dropkick his knees out from under him again. I try for the Texas Cloverleaf, but that’s broken, and I’m a bit stunned as he rushes forward for a full nelson, along with an elbow drop and a neck snap. I break another body scissors and hit a hard bodyslam and head for the top rope as he staggers up, and I tag him with a flying elbow smash! I try to follow up with a Cloverleaf, but he grabs the ropes and won’t let go, so I have to break the hold. I go for my patented face crusher, but he breaks free and hits a snap mare and an elbow drop. He locks in a body scissors, but I get to the ropes. He tries to snap me down again, but I break free and fire up the crowd again before hitting a face crusher! I go for the pin, but much to the crowd’s delight, Kung Fu kicks out! I slam my hands into the mat and pick him up to try again, but he slips free and locks in a hammerlock, then a whip. He misses with a snap kick, and as I come off the ropes I hit another crusher, but he bounces out of the ring! He staggers back in and I hit another face crusher to finally put him away for the three. Lawler pats me on the back as I get to the backstage and tells me that it was a good show out there, and probably the best match of the night. Kung Fu catches up with me and shakes my hand. He tells me I’d make a good rudo before heading to clean up. Whatever that means.

[U][B]Tuesday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] I’m off this week on Tuesday, which gives me an extra day to head to Central States, so I decide to take it easy and wander around Memphis for a little while. [U][B]Wednesday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] I’m headed for Springfield, Missouri tonight, where we’re set up for the show tonight. I find out I’m teamed up with Ken Martell, who I beat last week, to face Otto Wanz and Bobby Fulton. Seems as if Mr. Geigel forgot that both I and Fulton have full time tag partners, but I suppose I’ll go along with it for tonight. I ask Mr. Geigel about it, and he says he just wants to mix things up tonight. Okay. [I]Steve Austin & Ken Martell v. Otto Wanz & Bobby Fulton[/I] I’ve got a sinking feeling that this match won’t even be close to fair. I didn’t realize Otto Wanz was so huge! It’ll probably take a day and a half to chop him down. Luckily, Martell has to start out against him. Mantell takes the smart route, and slips away from Otto and gets out of the ring. Otto follows him out, and Ken hits a drop toe hold on him, right onto a chair! Ken locks in a side headlock, followed by a pair of knee drops and a hard stomp. Mantell picks him up and hits a hard forearm shot to the gut, and an arm wringer smash with a headbutt. Otto breaks loose though and hits a HUGE forearm to Mantell’s head, but Ken falls to the ground and pops up behind Otto and hits a hammerlock blow! Mantell seems a bit too fast for Otto as Mantell runs circles around him. Otto finally catches him and hits a hard forearm again, but Mantell slips free again with a hammerlock blow. Otto breaks free and hits a hard bell clap and another clubbing forearm to the back before pulling Mantell back in the ring. He hits another hard bell clap before Mantell ducks an uppercut, and Mantell hits a rope rake. He makes the tag to me, but the ref doesn’t see it! Otto hammers Mantell with another bell clap and tags in Bobby Fulton. This might be our chance, because Bobby’s only our size. Mantell slips out of an arm drag, and applies that hammerlock blow again! Mantell tries for a backbreaker, but he turns it into an amateur takedown, and he tags me in. I go after Fulton full steam, and we trade blows around the ring as we both brawled outside. I suplex him onto a chair, but it’s just nothing but a brutal beating on both sides as we wear each other out. We finally get back into the ring as he’s about out of gas and I try for a standing spinebuster, but he falls out and scrambles over to Otto! Otto comes after me, but I’m able to get away and tag in Mantell. It goes back and forth, but Otto dominates the rest of the match. I hit my face crusher, but it’s all over with as Otto locks in a bear hug on me for the submission. [I]*OOC - Sorry about the ending, but I was working on my laptop and my battery was almost gone...*[/I]

[U][B]Thursday Week 3, August 1983[/B][/U] Off today, so I’m able to rest up from the beating that Otto Wanz laid on me yesterday. Good grief that guy is strong! I decide to hit the road after lunch to head on back to Memphis and CWA. [B][U]Friday Week 3, August 1983[/U][/B] After a good night’s sleep last night, I get up early and head to the arena for a good workout before tonight’s card. Lawler is already there in the gym loosening up. He tells me that I get a chance at redemption against Doug Gilbert, who beat me in a poor match earlier. Lawler spots me on the bench press as I’m working out, and he gives me some tips on stepping up my game in the ring. After the workout, I head into the locker room to clean up and get dressed for tonight, and I see Kung Fu pulling on his mask. He thanks me again for a great match a few days ago, and tells me again that I should go down to Mexico and work there too. I tell him that I’ll think about it and get back to him. [I]Steve Austin v. Doug Gilbert[/I] Time for payback on Gilbert, who left me laying after our last meeting, and what a terrible match it was. Gilbert starts out on fire, locking in a side headlock and a hard punch, but I try to mount some offense and he counters everything! I try for a simple hammerlock and he reverses, I try for a backbreaker and he slips out, then he uses a amateur takedown and a hard elbow drop on me to keep me down. I’m able to slip up and use a fireman’s carry, but he continues to counter me, blocking a hammerlock drive and a leg drag, and he follows it up with a hard punch and an arm wringer. I’m able to finally fight free and lock in a hammerlock of my own and slam his head with a forearm shot. Doug gets right back on top though with a hard forearm to my stomach, followed by a hard face punch, and he goes up top and hits a flying axe handle! A dropkick, a head scissors, and a knee drop puts me on the mat. He tries to pin, but I kick out pretty quickly. He tries another knee drop, but I roll away, only to be followed for a top wrist lock, another hard forearm, and a solid set of knife edge chops! I finally use a hammerlock drive to send him into the corner, but he kicks me away and goes up top for another flying axe handle. I finally have enough and toss Gilbert out of the ring. I follow that up with a baseball slide and a hard seated kick, and since the ref got knocked down a few moments ago, I scoop up Gilbert and slam him onto a chair. The ref is stirring, so I’ve got another chance to cheat, so I back suplex Gilbert onto the same chair! Gilbert tries to fight back, but I break his headlock attempt and I drop him crotch first onto the guardrail. I try to smash his face into the ringpost, but he’s too wily still for that, and he catches me with a suplex, followed up with a knee drop and a legdrop. He gets greedy though as he stands me back up, and I grab his head and slam it twice into the ringpost this time. I decide to work his legs for a moment, so I drop a few elbows to his right knee, and I smack him in the head with a hard kick. I pick him on up and slam his head into the table, and the ref sure doesn’t like that. I try a good old fashioned mafia kick, but Gilbert ducks it and hits me with a charging forearm, and we slip out of each others moves for what seems like forever before he hits another charging forearm and rolls me back into the ring. I slip out of his leg grapevine and try a Russian legsweep, but he blocks again. I try for my face crusher, but he shoves me off and hits a running clothesline. He tries for a pin, but I kick out. He tries picking me up, and I slip away and hit a face crusher! I’m too exhausted to pin immediately though, so I pull myself up and try to lock in a cloverleaf. He slips out and hits the rapid fire dropkicks, and a leg drop. I’m able to get back to my feet again, and he comes off the ropes with a running body press. I roll it over and get a long two count, and as we both jump back up, I try for another face crusher, but he blocks again! I toss him into the ropes and go for a hard powerslam, but he slips past and tries a DDT, which I’m able to block. He hits me with a back elbow and goes up top to hit yet another flying axe handle, and as I stagger back up, he does the same thing yet again! He picks me up and hits a hard forearm shot, but he gets greedy again with a DDT chance, and I slip out and hit a good forearm flurry! He falls to the ground, and I lock in a Texas Cloverleaf! He screams in pain, but he finally drags me to the ropes to break it. He gets up and I whip him into the ropes, but he ducks my clothesline and comes back with a flying clothesline. He goes up top and I roll out of the way of a flying elbow drop. We both get up at the same time, and he tries for a discus punch, but I duck and hit a face crusher! I get to two and three quarters, but his manager distracts the ref just enough to make him break the count! I’m pissed, so I toss her into the ring and hit a face crusher on her, then I throw her out of the ring. Gilbert is stunned at my audacity, so I smile evilly and kick him in the gut and hit another face crusher to pick up the win! Lawler and Randy Savage are waiting backstage as I walk up, and both of them say that I looked a lot better out there today than I did last time I faced him. I thank them both and say that I have to get going. Lawler pats me on the back and says that he’ll see me back in a couple of days.

Archived