Recruiting Fighters from other sports

We can safely assume that occasionally we'll have a scripted entry of a fighter with say a kickboxing background, it's a part of MMA. My question is this though what if there was a small pool of fighters from other combat sports you could recruit and take a gamble on if the money was right? Say there was a pool of Boxers / Kicboxers, as well as a pool for ADCC style submission grapplers, and a pool of world class "Olympic" combat sports like Wrestling and Judo, two other possible pools would be pro wrestlers(Yeah it normally doesn't go well for them in the real world but you never know you could get a Sakuraba or even a Takayama style entertainer.), and finally a pool for "traditional" martial arts stars. The basic idea would be their stats not related to their discipline would not improve while in the single style pool but their popularity and skills related to their discipline would progress while in the single style pools, but once signed to an MMA promotion they would begin to develope as an MMA fighter. It would be a fun idea and could lead to an interesting strategy, for instance PRIDE gambled on Yoshida because of his good Judo and huge popularity and it paid off as he turned into a decent MMA fighter, but did the very same thing with Yoon Dong Sik and ended up with a flop. You would have no way of knowing their potential(Without cheating) in other areas but they would sometimes have good popularity and a solid base to build off of. AGain like anything else I don't know if it's doable but it's certainly an idea.

I mentioned something like this. When you will be able to scout areas outside MMA. Such as going to a kickboxing tournament, the Olympics, amature wrestling tournaments and so on, to look for talent. Of course these guys will be a little one sided in certain skills, but you could build them up in training.

I understand what you're saying. This could probably be easily implemented by having "new" fighters appear that aren't just young and raw talent, instead having a little background story (even if it's just a generated history of accomplishments before MMA rather than an actual bio) and heavily lop-sided stats. I don't think there's any reason have separate pools of these kinds of talent (although depending on how adjustable the rules are we might see a mod where grappling-oriented or striking-oriented orgs exist and could be used for this purpose).

[QUOTE=asdfx3;228237]I understand what you're saying. This could probably be easily implemented by having "new" fighters appear that aren't just young and raw talent, instead having a little background story (even if it's just a generated history of accomplishments before MMA rather than an actual bio) and heavily lop-sided stats.[/QUOTE] About the bios, Adam has mentioned that the bios will need to be adjusted manually, so any "records" of titles, fights ect will not appear for "new" fighters. Of corse once they start to fight in the MMA universe all stats will be recorded.

I meant bios like there were in TEW (granted, it's prowrestling) where there was a little story behind a lot of the intial talent pool. Since in this case it doesn't really matter if the former kickboxer beat X, Y, and Z in the past (since it was kickboxing and not MMA), you could just have this character enter with "Accomplished kickboxing champion in (made up kickboxing org)." IIRC even new pro-wrestlers in TEW had some acknowledgement of who they're related to or who they trained with, so maybe it's possible to implement without significant changes. It would also be interesting if there was some link between these fighters coming from the same background so that, for example, you could have a CroCop/Hunt situation where one fighter had beaten another outside of MMA. Might be asking too much though.

Guest loves2spooge
i think the game is about running a promotion not running training camps or anything like that so most new workers will be randomly generated from certain backgrounds but it would be nice though

[QUOTE=TylerDrew;228234]We can safely assume that occasionally we'll have a scripted entry of a fighter with say a kickboxing background, it's a part of MMA. My question is this though what if there was a small pool of fighters from other combat sports you could recruit and take a gamble on if the money was right? Say there was a pool of Boxers / Kicboxers, as well as a pool for ADCC style submission grapplers, and a pool of world class "Olympic" combat sports like Wrestling and Judo, two other possible pools would be pro wrestlers(Yeah it normally doesn't go well for them in the real world but you never know you could get a Sakuraba or even a Takayama style entertainer.), and finally a pool for "traditional" martial arts stars. The basic idea would be their stats not related to their discipline would not improve while in the single style pool but their popularity and skills related to their discipline would progress while in the single style pools, but once signed to an MMA promotion they would begin to develope as an MMA fighter. It would be a fun idea and could lead to an interesting strategy, for instance PRIDE gambled on Yoshida because of his good Judo and huge popularity and it paid off as he turned into a decent MMA fighter, but did the very same thing with Yoon Dong Sik and ended up with a flop. You would have no way of knowing their potential(Without cheating) in other areas but they would sometimes have good popularity and a solid base to build off of. AGain like anything else I don't know if it's doable but it's certainly an idea.[/QUOTE] Perfect idea! I would like to see this feauture in WMMA and in any future TEW games.

[QUOTE=loves2spooge;228246]i think the game is about running a promotion not running training camps or anything like that so most new workers will be randomly generated from certain backgrounds but it would be nice though[/QUOTE] True, but in MMA recruiting guys from sports outside of MMA is a BIG part of running a promotion. For instance Rulon Gardner was AGRESSIVELY recruited in MMA, before signing with PRIDE(Didn't go to well even though he won but you get my point.). I think it would add a very good element to the game if those guys were always out there in the different combat sport venues for you to pursue instead of one day going,"Ok looks like I'll do MMA." and being thrown in the talent pool.

[QUOTE=thedraem41;228253]Perfect idea! I would like to see this feauture in WMMA and in any future TEW games.[/QUOTE] We basically have this already in TEW. You have people such as olimpic wrestlers, MMA fighters, other sport figures appearing every now and then into the universe. I hope that in WMMA it is more regular.

[QUOTE=asdfx3;228244]I meant bios like there were in TEW (granted, it's prowrestling) where there was a little story behind a lot of the intial talent pool. Since in this case it doesn't really matter if the former kickboxer beat X, Y, and Z in the past (since it was kickboxing and not MMA), you could just have this character enter with "Accomplished kickboxing champion in (made up kickboxing org)." IIRC even new pro-wrestlers in TEW had some acknowledgement of who they're related to or who they trained with, so maybe it's possible to implement without significant changes. It would also be interesting if there was some link between these fighters coming from the same background so that, for example, you could have a CroCop/Hunt situation where one fighter had beaten another outside of MMA. Might be asking too much though.[/QUOTE] Ok i got you. Sure i think that will be in the game, after all we had something similar in TEW. I do not think though: "It would also be interesting if there was some link between these fighters coming from the same background so that, for example, you could have a CroCop/Hunt situation where one fighter had beaten another outside of MMA. Might be asking too much though" That won't happen as his past does not exist as such, he is simply a randomly generated fighter like any other (well the computer has been programed that way) with the only difference being he has different stats, age, injuries and bio from the regular randomly generated fighters.

In fact i think that most guys which are generated randomly should enter the world having some backround in some martial arts. In other words randomly generated fighter "A" enters the world of MMA with a backround in Karate. Giving you some idea what skills he would have. It would be nice if to his bio would be added info such as "trained with "B" camp from 2007-2009", worked at UFC form 2009-2013. Won the World Middleweight titles 3 times while there. Of corse this info can be found by clicking on match and title history. But you could get a quick summary glance on what he was up to.

[QUOTE=Capelli King;228320]We basically have this already in TEW. You have people such as olimpic wrestlers, MMA fighters, other sport figures appearing every now and then into the universe. I hope that in WMMA it is more regular.[/QUOTE] I mean being able to scout and ask them to come to Pro wrestling.

[QUOTE=Capelli King;228324]In fact i think that most guys which are generated randomly should enter the world having some backround in some martial arts. In other words randomly generated fighter "A" enters the world of MMA with a backround in Karate. Giving you some idea what skills he would have. It would be nice if to his bio would be added info such as "trained with "B" camp from 2007-2009", worked at UFC form 2009-2013. Won the World Middleweight titles 3 times while there. Of corse this info can be found by clicking on match and title history. But you could get a quick summary glance on what he was up to.[/QUOTE] I like this, other than the fact I hope they still train at different camps while working for a promotion.

[QUOTE=thedraem41;228383]I mean being able to scout and ask them to come to Pro wrestling.[/QUOTE] Well that would be a serious addition to the game. I like that idea. But that would mean that these guys would exist in the backround and you will know that they are there. I do not think it will happen though

[QUOTE=thedraem41;228383]I mean being able to scout and ask them to come to Pro wrestling.[/QUOTE] On that note I'd like to see the whole inspire roster included in the MMA Cverse, just like what happened with people making the move from UWFi to Pride in 97.

Archived