Coach Hiring/Firing Stage Suggestions

I think the coach hiring/firing stage is one area of the game that needs some serious adjustments. Why not bring these OCs and DCs to life? Give them some personality? There are way too many "complete idiot" coordinators available, and too few reasonably skilled coordinators. How about taking the coordinators in the pool that have "poor" ratings in 3 or more areas, and switching one of those "poor" ratings to "fair" and one of them to "average". If 4 areas are rated "poor", switch two to "fair" and one to "average". I don't think this would destroy any play balance in the game. And lets face it, NOBODY is going to hire those guys with 4 areas rated "poor" anyway, so [I]why[/I] are they in the game? The lack of defined contracts results in most coordinators "opting out" after one or two seasons with a team (no matter how successful the team is). I think that a clearly defined contract system would fix part of this problem. Perhaps with incentive bonuses (Coordinator receives an extra 25k for the following year of the contract if we accomplish [insert criteria] in the current year). Do coordinators ratings improve/decline? I haven't noticed it (perhaps because they typically "opt out" after a year or two). Improvement in coordinators ratings would be a nice addition. I wouldn't expect much improvement, but it would be nice to know that it's possible, and to see it happen once in awhile. If coordinator rating improvements are already in the game (or if its being designed for the next version), how about adding a "loyalty" rating to coordinators also? If they have a high loyalty rating, they would be more likely to re-sign with their current team when their contract expires, even for the current team is offering the same $ as before, or slightly less $ than another team is offering. The contract system, along with "loyalty", would allow us to witness coordinator improvements over time. The lack of contracts, and the lack of depth among skilled coordinators, makes it nearly impossible to build a team that runs a consistent offensive/defensive style year after year. I mean, if you want to build a smash mouth offense, and your SM coordinator leaves after one season, there will likely only be about 2 reasonable choices among the available SM coordinators to replace him. If you miss out on those, you're screwed. If the improvements described above were implemented in the game, it could make it very rewarding to take over a really lousy team and try to build them up. I'm imagining hiring a "fair" OC with high loyalty that runs my preferred offense, and signing him to a 5 year deal and together we build a team that is know for playing smash mouth football. As the team is more successful, and the OC's contract expires, a higher prestige team may take notice and try to sign him by paying much more than I can (but they still don't know if he'll accept because of his loyalty). If they take him, that's life, but at least it isn't the [I]game engine[/I] that stole him from me. Finally, along the lines of bringing the OC/DC to life... how about giving them the same type of "happiness" rating that the players have, and also giving them a [I]hidden[/I] rating for "desire to control"? If this rating is "high", they will frequently offer suggestions (by email) throughout the season. Suggestions could be things like ("That injury to QB Smith is more serious than the trainer says: we need to bench Smith for the upcoming game", or "OG Jones has a lot of untapped potential; let him start this week so his skills can improve". The usefulness of the coordinator's suggestions would be based on his scouting, development, and motivation ratings combined. If the coordinators suggestions are acted upon, (by clicking the "take action" button) his happiness rating improves; if he's ignored it drops and he's less likely to accept a new contract with your team when his contract is up.

[QUOTE=Runtheball;231328] Finally, along the lines of bringing the OC/DC to life... how about giving them the same type of "happiness" rating that the players have, and also giving them a [I]hidden[/I] rating for "desire to control"? If this rating is "high", they will frequently offer suggestions (by email) throughout the season. Suggestions could be things like ("That injury to QB Smith is more serious than the trainer says: we need to bench Smith for the upcoming game", or "OG Jones has a lot of untapped potential; let him start this week so his skills can improve". The usefulness of the coordinator's suggestions would be based on his scouting, development, and motivation ratings combined. If the coordinators suggestions are acted upon, (by clicking the "take action" button) his happiness rating improves; if he's ignored it drops and he's less likely to accept a new contract with your team when his contract is up.[/QUOTE] lovee that idea!

Along the same lines, teams should be encouraged to sign coaches that fit the style they want to play and stick with that style.......I would like to see players in the next college game or the pro game have an affinity stat with each kind of offense/defense that increases with the head/assistant coach ratings so that switching from an option offense to a west coast offense or the like would seriously damage your team

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Runtheball;231328]Do coordinators ratings improve/decline? I haven't noticed it (perhaps because they typically "opt out" after a year or two).[/QUOTE] I haven't noticed that they do, either, but it sure would be cool if they did. I mean, these guys occasionally go on to take head coaching jobs at computer-controlled teams; that implies, I think, that they ought to be improving. I don't know how hard that would be to add into the game, though.

• 1 month later...

Archived