A True Hollywood Story: AWA

A True Hollywood Story: AWA Hello everybody and welcome to the true story of the American Wrestling Association, I know what everyone is thinking, you don’t know **** about the AWA. Well if you thought that then you are completely right because I don’t know a damn thing. Well I didn’t until some old, ugly, man started talking about it, he didn’t shut up for hours, I think it was hours I don’t remember I caught a nap for a while and I didn’t even think he noticed. But I am here to tell you what I think he told me and if he didn’t tell me you’re going to hear the story anyways. Don’t run, don’t hide and don’t fall asleep because unlike that man I will notice. The story starts on April 1st of 1984, I mean 1983, I get those years mixed up, since I wasn’t even born yet. Anyways there was this old man named Vern Ganyay or something like that and he owned a wrestling promotion one that started 1960 and the promotion was the AWA. During this time the American Wrestling Association had a handful of wrestling superstars, really big names, I’m talking about Hulk Hogan, Wahoo McDaniel, Jesse Ventura, Nick Bockwinkel, Baron Van Raschke and many others. The wrestling business was good, as it had been for many years but that all changed right before this story started when Verne Gagne’s old friend from the north Vince McMahon’s wrestling promotion the WWF was taken over by Vince’s son, also named Vince. Vince Jr. promised to destroy all of the WWF competition and Verne knew that, that meant the American Wrestling Association. This is the story of one mans genius, and perseverance. This is the story of a company looking to stop another from destroying the business, and at the same time expanding their own company nation wide. This is The True Hollywood Story of the American Wrestling Association.

The Rooster without The **** A Doodle Do [CENTER][SIZE="5"][B]The Roster[/B][/SIZE] [B][COLOR="Red"]The Good [/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]The Bad[/COLOR][/B] [B]Main Eventers: [/B] [COLOR="Red"]Baron Von Rashke Hulk Hogan Wahoo McDaniel[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Ken Pantera Nick Bockwinkel[/COLOR] [B]Upper Midcarders:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Greg Gagne Rick Martel[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Jerry Blackwell Jesse Ventura Mr. Saito[/COLOR] [B]Midcarders:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Brad Rheingans Curt Henning Jim Brunzell[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Dave Schultz Mike Graham Sgt. Rene Goulet Steve Regal[/COLOR] [B]Lowermidcarders:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Buck Zumhofe Kenny Jay Sonny Rogers Steve O[/COLOR] [B]Openers:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Jake Milliman[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Kevin Kelly[/COLOR] [B]Enhancement Talent:[/B] [COLOR="Blue"]Nacho Berrera [/COLOR] [B]Part time Wrestlers:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Billy Robinson Dick the Bruiser Larry Hennig Mad Dog Vachon[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Blackjack Lanza[/COLOR] [B]Managers:[/B] [COLOR="Blue"]Bobby Hennan Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey[/COLOR] [B]Announcer:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Rod Trongard[/COLOR] [B]Color Commentary:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Gene Okerlund[/COLOR] [B]Refs:[/B] Jim Mitchell Marty Miller [B]Authorities:[/B] Ken resnick The Crusher I'm pretty sure thats what he said, but looking back I could be wrong about these two, oh well, what can ya do? [B]Road Agents:[/B] - I still don't know what this means but hey... Stanley Blackburn Verne Gagne [B]Personality:[/B] Lee Marshall [SIZE="5"][B]Champions!!![/B][/SIZE] [B]AWA Television:[/B] Vacant, a new title that will debut soon [B]AWA World Heavyweight: [/B]Nick Bockwinkel, 3 time champion. [B]AWA World Lightweight:[/B] Mike Graham, First ever champion. [B]AWA World Tag Team: [/B]Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell better known as The Highflyer, current 3 time champions.[/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="6"]News[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] That first day of April was a tough one for the company Jesse Ventura and Hulk Hogan two of the biggest starts in the Association, were both offered WWF contracts. The AWA hoped that they wouldn’t accept but the truth of the matter is they don’t have the money that the WWF and has to accept whatever may come. The AWA didn’t just sit back though, they tried to approach some wrestlers themselves but the man told me of some rule back in the day where business wasn’t discussed about who was going where except for the in the World Wrestling Federation since they were becoming a monopoly. Believe what you will folks but that is an exact quote. Does anybody even know who that man is? I wish I could remember what he looked like. The first show of the month was to take place on Wednesday and the show was going to be a big one as Jerry Blackwell was going to take on fan favorite Hulk Hogan, The Lightweight title would be on the line when Mike Graham defends against Buck Zumhofe, Jesse Vantura would take on the beloved **** Baron Von Raschke and Wahoo McDaniel would take on Nick Bockwinkel for the AWA World title. And more... :) [/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Sienna"]AWA Road Tour[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [I]From: The Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul, Minnesota[/I] Sell out 2000/2000 people. [QUOTE] [B][COLOR="Red"]The Begining[/COLOR][/B] As the announcers Gene Okerlund and Ron Trongard welcome everyone to the show, The Crusher makes his way down to the ring where Nacho Berrera is already standing. The fans cheer as Crusher destroys Nacho with punches and kicks, even though he’s barely able to get his leg up pasted the knee of Berrera, who’s paying attention to that anyways? The Crusher sends Nacho Berrera into the ropes and hits him with the Bolo Punch allowing him to pick up the easy victory. Next was an unscheduled visit from the AWA World Champion Nick Bockwinkel and his manager Bobby “The Brain” Hennan. Hennan handled the microphone while Bockwinkel sat back looking good in his robe. Hennan says that Wahoo McDaniel isn’t here and won’t be here but the champion is willing to fight anyone but that the person who accepts the challenge for late on should be aware that they will have the same BIG, Bobby put an emphasis on big problem that McDaniel had to go through earlier in the day. As Hennan and Bockwinkel left the ringside area you could see Jake “The Milkman” Milliman walk on by, shaking hands with the fans and smiling for a few photos. The shower was taken off his face when he heard the music of his opponent for the match. Mr. Saito, the biggest Japanese star in the states according to my source came down to the ring, and he wasn’t smiling. He had the same look on his face that he always had, a look that said ‘I’m here for business’. Yes, this man did mean business as he got in the ring and just clobbered the Milk Man. Saito bent his body in ways that fans could only see when watching the man from Japan. He hit so many suplexes that young children and woman cringed and wondered how Jake’s head was still attached to his body. The match was over when Saito said it was over as he finished with a Saito suplex. Next up was the AWA World Lightweight Championship match first out was the opponent Buck “Rock ‘n’ Roll” Zumhofe who came down in his normal Elvis jumpsuit and boom box. Okerland and Trongard but agree that tonight is the night the title finally changes hands. The Champion, Mike Graham came down to the ring threatening the fans. Okerland and Trongard look to be right early on in the match when Buck took the early lead using his speed and quickness to offset Grahams speed and quickness. Hitting drop kicks from all angles it seemed as if Graham never knew where Buck was. Graham couldn’t catch a break and the fans loved it! That was until Buck went for a flying cross body block but the savvy ring veteran Graham ducked and locked in the figure four leg lock, one of his finishers! Buck refuses to give up as referee Jim Mitchell gets down into position to ask if he’s okay, Mike takes this time to reach back and grab the ropes pulling on them to tighten the pressure on Buck. Zumhofe is screaming in pain when the ref sees Graham and makes him release the hold. It was never the same for Buck after that as he could barely stand on his two feet, Graham just toyed with him following him around the ring before kicking his leg out from under him and then laughing when he would come crashing down to the mat. Buck was never one to give up and he proved it as he fought back knocking Graham around but his leg problem just wasn’t enough as Mike Graham hit the rolling reverse out of no where to pick up the pin fall victory and retain his AWA World Lightweight title. When that match was over Kevin Kelly and Steve Regal made their way down to the ring music less. Then the crowd went into a frenzy when the tag team champions, The High Flyers made their way down to the ring. The champions didn’t struggle for a second in this non title match. Brunzell picked up the victory with a top rope drop kick. After the match Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne celebrated their victory by going in the crowd and posing with the fans. Baron Von Rashke was the next man to come through the curtain and down to the ring, the Baron who was once one of the most hated men of his time was beloved by the fans and was probably the 2nd or 3rd fan favorite behind Hulk Hogan and you could tell by the reactions of the fans. His opponent though was way at the other end of the spectrum, Jesse “The Body” Ventura, Ventura was despised by the fans despite being from Minnesota. The match started slow as the two men really tried to get the fans into it, it would start like a usual Ventura match with a test of strength in the middle of the ring and like usual Ventura won the test and took Baron down. Okerlund mentioned his hatred toward Ventura but how he was wrestling a smart match by keeping Baron away from him with punches and kicks instead of letting Van Rashke get up and put him in the “millions” of holds that he knows. It looked like a quick ending to the match when Ventura set up for the Body Breaker but Baron was able to break free and the match continued with both men sharing the offense equally. The two men fought an even match for a while but Baron was able to lock on the claw and with no where to go Ventura had nothing to do but to give up. The AWA Commissioner Stanley Blackburn made his way down to the ring and announced that Wahoo McDaniel was indeed beaten backstage before the show started and was rushed to a local hospital and that he has found a replacement and tonight it would be Mad Dog Vachon challenging the World Champion Nick Bockwinkel. Next to come out was the monster of a man, Jerry Blackwell, along with his manger Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey and partner Ken Patera. The music of Hulk Hogan hit the loud speaker and the building shook as one of the loudest cheers in the history of the AWA was heard when Hogan came through the curtain pointing his finger toward the ring. Hogan stepped into the middle of the ring and ripped his shirt off, showing off his godly muscles. Patera, unimpressed with muscles of his own didn’t take too kindly to what Hogan was doing and attacked him from behind. The referee tried to restore order but Sheik and Blackwell were in the ring pounding on Hogan as well. Patera was sent to the back for not having a managing license. When Patera finally left the ringside area, the bell was rung and the big Blackwell had his way with the injured Hogan, sending him into all four turnbuckles before running in back first and letting all of his weight land on the smaller opponent. Hogan did what he always did, it was in his contract to do this so he came back blocking a punch of Blackwells, then blocking another only to hit his own and knock the big man down. Hogan immediately began to grab his back showing the damages down by Patera and “Crusher” Jerry. It couldn’t of hurt that much as he was able to hit more punches when Blackwell got back to his feet, this time he didn’t know him down instead he rocked him back and forth. Hogan bounced off the rope and came in with a forearm smash knocking him out of the ring. Hogan once again gripped his back in obvious discomfort. The two men battled for the next few minutes not really doing anything to impressive, just getting the crowd into it, Hogan hit Blackwell with the big boot and the big man was stumbling, this match was sure to be over. Instead of going for another boot Hogan tried to pick up Blackwell and slam him but he didn’t have success as Jerry Blackwell fell on top of Hogan and the referee counted to three. Hulk Hogan just lost to Jerry Blackwell! Do you believe in miracles? YES! The main event of the night was next as the AWA World Champion Nick Bockwinkel was lead out by Bobby “The Brain” Hennan. Mad Dog Vachon was already waiting in the ring, and Bockwinkel acted a little scared of Mad Dog, teasing a lock up then backing down, he did it repeatedly until Mad Dog just attacked backing Nick into a corner. Bockwinkel would slide out of the ring and have a short conversation with The Brain who the announcers wondered if he was talking strategy but us smart know that he was, I mean what else would “The Brain” be talking about. Bockwinkel would eventually get back into the ring but he would again slide out and talk to Bobby with out touching or being touched. Mad Dog has never been the one to wait for a fight to come to him and he proved it by getting out of the ring and attacking The Champion. Mad Dog knocked Bockwinkel all around the ringside area before throwing him into the ring when a big ugly man came from the back of Mad Dog and hit him with a boot to the back knocking him right into the apron. The man who was identified as Bruiser Brody would hit a leg drop on the falling Vachon before throwing him back into the ring. This would usually be a disqualification but The Brain had the referee on the other side of the ring, talking to him about Lord knows what. Bockwinkel makes the pin fall as The Brain gets off the apron and picks up the easy victory. The show ends there as we don’t know what Brody, Bockwinkel and The Brain did after that. [B][COLOR="Blue"]The End[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Thanks I think, I hope this diary is a winner. I haven't even played a practice game with AWA yet so everything that happens will be happening for the first time. [QUOTE][CENTER][B][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="5"]AWA All-Star Wrestling[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [I]From: Clemens Stadium in Collegeville, Minnesota[/I] Attendance: 4504/5000 [B][COLOR="Red"]The Begining[/COLOR][/B] The show starts with the video that is used to introduce the show and then a shot of Gene Okerlund and Ron Trongard, they tell us about what happened on Wednesday in St. Paul since its not on television. They run down all the happenings and then say that the commissioner has something to say about it. Stanley Blackburn is already standing in the ring facing the camera with the microphone in his face. He says that Hulk Hogan has been calling him non-stop asking for a match against Jerry Blackwell and Ken Patera. Blackburn says that as commissioner of the American Wrestling Association that he couldn’t let that happen but he has talked to Hulk Hogan and tonight, Hogan and a partner of his choosing will take on The Sheiks, Blackwell and Patera. In the first match on the first Friday of April 1983 we saw The Milkman Jake Milligan take on Sgt. Rene Goulet. Goulet had very little trouble disposing Milligan, dominating from bell to bell. Its just a good thing that they bells weren’t that far apart. The Scorpion Claw Hold was used to make Milligan quit. The next match was one of the best brawls of the early 90’s. Dr. D David Schultz took on Dick The Bruiser. The two men had a wild brawl that left both men busted open. One was legit and the other was not if you are keeping score at home. Both men being professional about the situation worked with out a problem. The Bruiser was able to pick up the victory despite putting over his opponent for most of the match. Ken Resnick came out from the backstage area to the top of the entrance for the next segment. He called out Hulk Hogan and his partner, which happened to be Baron Von Raschke. Hogan said that Baron has done some things in his past that he’s not proud of but everyone has done things in their past, even Hulk himself. He said that he forgives Baron just like everyone else in the building does and give him an American flag. Hogan tells Baron that he’s a real American now just like himself and all of his fans. Baron says he is an honored and waves the flag as the two begin to walk away. They turn back around and tell Sheik that if he chooses to interfere in the match, that he has something coming to him. The next match was between two men from very different backgrounds. Billy Robinson from England took on Mr. Saito of Japan. The two men had a very good technical match showing off tons of submission holds and takedowns. Billy Robinson locked in the cloverleaf but Mr. Saito was able to hang on for over two minutes before he finally got to the ropes and hit the Saito suplex for the victory. Rick Martel made his way down to the ring for his toughest match of his young career. Jesse “The Body” Ventura stood across him less then 10 feet away. You could see the fear in Martel’s eyes but you could also see the hunger of the young man and he did not disappoint. Martel used his speed to drop kick his way to victory of his chiseled opponent Ventura hardly got any offense in. After the match Ventura through a fit like a two year child who wanted a can of pees from Bell’s. Bobby Hennan and The World Champion made their way down to the ring before they got there they were cut off by Gene Okerlund. Gene asks Bobby about what happened 2 days ago and where is Bruiser Brody. Hennan says that Brody isn’t there because Brody isn’t needed tonight and when the time is right Bruiser will be here. Hennan says that he’s not here to talk about Brody he’s here to talk about the Champ and the champ has some business to take care of. He tells Gene to have a seat and do his job: call the match. Who would Bockwinkels opponent be? I bet you don’t know? I couldn’t guess if I tried either so let me just tell you. His opponent was a Minnesota Legend. His opponent was Larry Henning. The two men put on a good match with their superior brawling and technical skills, the old bad thing about the match was that it wasn’t given enough time to really shine. Bockwinkel picked up the victory as he usually does. This time he didn’t need help. Next out were The Sheiks with their manager Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey. Baron Von Rashke joined Hulk Hogan in coming out to real American, The Baron still waving the American flag. This was another match that wasn’t long enough, after the bell sounded all four men quickly got involved, allowing Hogan to hit the big leg drop on Patera. Sheik got in the ring and got his team DQ’d. Hogan then backed Sheik into a corner, ****ing back to hit him Patera takes him out and Blackwell throws a hurt Von Rashke into the ring. Sheik Adnan, Jerry Blackwell and Ken Patera continued their assault on Von Rashke and Hogan until finally The Iron Sheik made his way down to the ring to make the save for Hogan and The Baron. The Sheiks back up the ramp way as Hogan, The Baron and The Iron Sheik stand in the ring staring down their opponents waving an American flag. [B][COLOR="Blue"]The End [/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][SIZE="7"]AWA Road Tour[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [I]This time it’s actually on the road Coming from The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California Fans: 4,865[/I] [QUOTE] [B][COLOR="Red"]The Begining [/COLOR][/B] The first match of a night was a huge shocker on this night but that’s how the AWA usually did it when it went to LA. The Iron Sheik made his in ring debut for the company when he took on Jesse Ventura. Sheik had Hulk Hogan and The Baron in his corner and Jesse didn’t have any body in his. That’s too bad, he really could of used some in his corner as he was dominated by the Iron Sheik who locked in the Camel Clutch for the give up victory. Hulk Hogan, the man of the people gave an interview with Gene Okerlund next. Hogan boasted about the big show that would be taking place on the last Saturday of the month and said that The Real Americans: The Iron Sheik and Baron Von Raschke would beat down The Sheiks fair and square. Hogan said first things first though and tonight he gets a shot at the AWA World Champion Nick Bockwinkel. Hogan says after he beats Bockwinkel tonight he will get at shot at him for the title during the big show. The fans go ****IN Bananas. BA NA NA S Steve Regal came out for the next match and did you guys know that he used to be a tag team champion? Never in the AWA but he has had some great partners, such as: Chavo Guerrero, Matt Borne, Spike Huber and Dewey Robertson, in fact he’s the current WWA Tag Team Champion with Spike Huber. Well even if you did know all those useless facts about him he didn’t look like a former champion in the next match as he was on the wrong end of a beating, taking the loss for Rick Martel. Nothing really to note about the match, maybe the guy told me something but I can’t remember everything now can I? The High Flyers came out next and their opponents were the never impressive Kevin Kelly and Nacho Berrera. I don’t even have to tell you how this match ended, every match so far as been all about the good guy and this one was no different. After the match the two men celebrated their victory by rolling out of the ring and signing a piece of paper for the man sitting in the first row with a sign asking for their autographs! Jake Milligan was out next and you know what that means! An easy win for whoever he is facing but before the man could come out Bobby The Brain Hennan made his way down to the ring, he said nothing about Hogan instead introducing the man that was to make his way down to the ring, Bruiser Brody! Man that guy is huge! I’ve never seen him but I’ve heard. Hennan then says Brody is making an open challenge to anyone who is man enough to face him. This match started and ended just as you and I thought it would with Bruiser Brody kicking the **** out of The Milkman. Brody finished him with a leg drop. No one is going to be dumb enough to accept that challenge are they? Lets hope not. A new face has arrived in the AWA and that man is Koko. B Ware. Koko is a black man with very short hair; he’s not that small but he’s not big either. His opponent was a big redneck from Texas, Blackjack Lanza. This match was the match of the night thus far, if only for the fact that each man had equal offense. Koko was impressive during his first match and was able to pick up the victory almost. Verne Gagne had a thing about old wrestlers going over the new guys but he truly liked Koko and wanted to see him succeed. Maybe one day he will but today just wasn’t that day as he lost. I feel bad for the brother. The veteran team of The Bruiser and The Crusher made their way down to the ring to almost silent crowd! Who am I kidding the fans cheered for every good guy back in the day, even The Milkman! Their opponents definitely made the cheers go up for the good guys when The Sheiks came out dressed as they always were in their native Arabian clothing. This match was exactly what you would expect from four very untalented wrestlers… highly entertaining. The fans were eating this match up that was full of near falls and hot tags. Of Coarse Sheik Adnan had to get involved tripping up The Crusher as he came in to the ropes, along Ken Patera to pick up the victory. The Sheik getting involved could be a prelude to what happens at the end of the month. After the match Sheik Adnan gets on the microphone and yells out some things in his native language the fans definitely don’t want to hear, I wonder if they even know what he’s saying? I’d bet on no but at the end of the rumbling he says that The Sheiks will be victorious and they are the best tag team in the AWA. Davin Schultz and The Baron, Baron Von Rachke fought one on one in the next match, even though The Iron Sheik was in The Barons corner. Schultz looked pretty good in the match against the more experienced, better worker. The company really seemed to be showing more confidence in Schultz around this time. He wasn’t allowed to go over The Baron who won the match with a claw but he was able to get in a lot of offense. Hogan vs. Bockwinkel was next and the crowd was pumped, for some reason the champion came down first and that just didn’t sit right with the fans, but then Hogan’s music played over the speaker and the fans went crazy. The music played for about a minute with no sign of Hogan, the music stopped and then started again and once again Hogan was no where to be found. The music stopped and started again one more time only for Bruiser Brody to carry a bloody and battered Hogan down to the ring where Bockwinkel hit a Piledriver followed by Bruisers Giant Leg Drop. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The End[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

First of all, I mark out for anything DOTT! Few comments: >HaHa you jobbed Hogan out to Blackwell! >A pairing of Bockwinkel and Brody? Ooh that could be big! >Hogan and BVR are the AWA World Tag Champs for Fred in my diary [COLOR="Blue"]Battlelines.... [/COLOR] >The freakin' Iron Shiek makes the save for Hogan and BVR? WTF? >Are you having problems with the unclean finishes getting crapped on? I know Fred does. If not have you changed anything in the product? Anyway I'm reading, keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the comment, I went to check out your diary and it would take me a month to read through it so I might just start from where you are right now. I didn't change anything in the product since this is a true story, I don't think the fans like my draw but don't mind the interference. Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. [CENTER][QUOTE][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]AWA All Star Wrestling[/COLOR][/B] [I][SIZE="2"]From: McElroy Auditorium in Waterloo, Iowa. The same place that Napoleon lost at. Fans:4264 outta 5000 Shown on U.S. Syndication Small II[/SIZE][/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]The Start[/COLOR][/B] The show starts off with Gene Okerlund on the house mic, going over what happened in Los Angeles since the fans couldn’t see something that wasn’t on television. He and his partner Rod Trongard then tell the fans at home exactly what happened and the show starts. The show does start and it starts with Stanley Blackburn in the middle of the ring, Blackburn announces that Hulk Hogan has a life threatening injury and would no longer fight in the American Wrestling Association and would address the fans later in the night. Blackburn said that the challenge that Bobby Hennan laid down in LA, where any man could fight Bruiser Brody was cancelled as Brody is suspended for one whole month. Blackburn threatened that if Brody appeared within 100 feet of the building both he and Bobby Hennan will never be seen again. Then Blackburn dropped a bomb on the crowd, saying that at the big show Nick Bockwinkel will put his AWA World title on the line against Wahoo McDaniel in an Indian Strap match! Blackburn wasn’t finished there as he called out Little Haiti, a midget wrestler who came out and the two talked about the new midget division that would be debuting at the big show, Blackburn welcomed Haiti and Haiti said he was happy to be there and looked forward to entertaining the fans of the American Wrestling Association. In the opening bout of the television show, “Dr D.” David Schultz took on Steve O and like many others before him Schultz dominated Steve O ultimately picking up the victory quite easily with a Pile Driver. The Crusher was the next man out and his opponent was no other then Steve Regal, the man who used to hold all those tag team titles back in the day, well let me tell you something there was a reason that man was a tag team specialist, its not like its was a secret or anything but Regal just didn’t really cut it as a singles star. The Crusher finished him off. Regal did try his hardest though and I’m sure it counts for something, maybe in the 21st century guys like him who tried hard and never won would be appreciated but at this time, he wasn’t. The music of Hulk Hogan played next and The Iron Sheik and The Baron came down waving American Flags when out comes Hulk Hogan!! The fans are blowing the building off the roof as Hogan comes down with his leg all bandaged up on crutches. Gene Okerlund comes to the front of his desk from behind it to the side of the ring to give an interview to Hogan. It was emotional as Hogan announced his retirement from The American Wrestling Association. Hogan almost broke down and cried, as his voice was cracking, little children WERE crying, Gene Okerlund had tears running down his face, good thing he keeps that napkin in his tux as he just wiped them off, not saying a word letting Hogan run the interview himself. Hogan says that The Baron and The Iron Sheik are the resident “Real Americans” and they will stand tall for all of his hulkamanicas. Hogan once again thanks the fans and then his music hits for the very last time in the AWA. The next match featured two of the most untalented wrestlers in the world, but in these days its not about the world its about the territory and Sgt. Rene Goulet dominated, I mean DOMINATED Buck Zumhofe. Wasn’t even close, the man who told me the story from the top of the head didn’t even remember Buck getting a piece of offense in, now that I think about it, I’m not sure if he EVER gets a piece of offense in. The main event of the night took 20 minutes!! 20! Out of 60 minutes. It was the best match that the AWA has put on in the month with Mr. Saito taking on the young and up in coming Rick Martel. Both men had plenty of time on the offensive showing off their different skills with Saito using his power and punching ability along with his submissions and Martel also using his great technical ability along with his speed and high flying ability. There were at least 7 or 8 near falls, but in the end Mr. Saito was able to barely inch out a victory over Martel with a Backdrop Suplex. What a match! The fans cheered at the end, showing their appreciation for Ricky Martel. [B][COLOR="Red"]The Finish[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE][/CENTER]

You my friend, are a smart, smart man. Just as I was writing this... [QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]Story Behind The Story: The Truth Behind Hogan's Injury[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Hulk Hogan was supposed to be the next American Wrestling Association World Champion, Hogan was one of the most popular wrestlers in both Japan where he worked for New Japan Pro Wrestling and The States at the time where he worked for the AWA. Having been in the hit movie, Rocky III as “Thunder lips” only made Hogan that much more popular. A lot of people give the credit to Vince McMahon these days when talking about creating the mega star that was Hulk Hogan but the truth of the matter is that “Hulkamania” was started in Minnesota. It wasn’t as big as it could have been but if Hogan would of choose to stay with the AWA at the time, the American Wrestling Association and Verne Gagne the AWA might of became the biggest promotion in the history of the world. It wasn’t as much as Hogan needed the WWF as the WWF needed Hogan. Vince was taking the World Wrestling Federation places and that was obvious from the moment that he took the company from his father but Hulkamania was bigger then Vince and was going some where with or with out him. As you may already know, Hogan was loved by the fans every where he went and his speech to the AWA Crowd was heart felt by many who still remember that speech to this day. The only problem was, most fans knew that he wasn’t hurt as he had teamed up with Andre The Giant on World Wrestling Federation programming just a few days before the speech. Hogan and Vern Gagne agreed on a speech after going over many different scenarios including one that would of saw Hogan win the AWA Title for the first time. His only other shot at winning the title was ended when Stanley Blackburn reversed the referee’s decision, which was one of the most controversial decisions in the HISTORY of the American Wrestling Association. If things could have been different who knows what would of happened during the third week of April, 1983. But to find out what happens next, you will have to keep reading, The True Hollywood Story of The American Wrestling Association. [/QUOTE][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys sorry about the long wait, alotta things have come up in my life and I will slowly be able to do this diary but I have not quit. Hope you enjoy. [CENTER][QUOTE][B][COLOR="Red"]AWA Road Tour[/COLOR][/B] Wednesday Week 3, 1984 From The Reno MGM Hotel in Reno, Nevada 4736 outta 5000 fans [B][COLOR="Magenta"]The Start[/COLOR][/B] The show opens up with an unfamiliar face in the ring, holding a microphone. But wait! That is a familiar face, as the man begins to speak he introduces himself as the fan that got an autograph last week from Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell. He says his name is Precious Paul Ellering and the High Flyers should be careful about what they sign because they signed a contract to face “his” tag team, The Road Warriors at the big show at the end of the month for the AWA World Tag Team Titles. Ellering holds up the contract and says there is nothing that anyone can do to help them, and this week on AWA All-Star Wrestling, his tag team will make their AWA debut. The next bout pitted the AWA World Light Heavyweight champion Mike Graham taking on Koko B. Ware in a non-title bout. Graham dominated most of the bout, taking Koko’s legs out from underneath him and not allowing him to get to the top rope. Koko fought back though showing off his superior brawling ability but Graham was too much, he destroyed Koko, leaving him bruised and bothered. Graham went for a pin but was only able to get a 2 count, disagreeing with the referee he argued only to be rolled up by Koko B. Ware who picked up the surprising upset victory over the champ! The next bout was one that could only be seen in the AWA when the father and son duo of Curt and Larry Henning took on The Sheiks! Skeik Adnan took the older Henning out on the floor as he interfered and the younger Curt battled as hard as he possibly could, giving it his all but it wasn’t enough to be the impressive team of Blackwell and Patera who once again picked up a victory, looking like a dangerous team coming into their big battle against The Real Americans. After the match Gene Okerlund went into the ring to get a word with Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey and his Sheiks. Adnan warned that what happened today will happened to the real Americans. He then said that neither one of them are really Americans and said that he used his money to buy the two biggest stars in the business and The Baron will find out that money goes along way and that he shouldn’t trust The Iron Sheik. Blackwell and Patera just stood behind The Sheik the whole time with their turbins on and their arms crossed looking menacing. The next match was a freakin’ train wreck as Rick Martel dominated Kevin Kelly, not even allowing him to get one move in. Wait he did get a punch in but Rick no sold it anyways. Martel gets the easy victory! Next up was Brad Rheingans it’s been a while but if I remember correctly this is the first time of his mentioning in this story. Rheingans is a superior mat wrestler and a former NCAA Champion at North Dakota State. Rheingans was also In the Olympics and a former AWA World Tag Team Champion with Ken Patera. That’s an impressive resume isn’t it? His opponent wasn’t impressed. That’s because his opponent was his equal when it came to technical ability, it was the big bad Japanese star Mr. Saito. The two guys put on a technical masterpiece that lasted a quarter of an hour! A quarter of an hour! Wow what a long time to put on suplexes and submission holds. Each man reversed the others hold, each man locked in a ton of holds each man had equal offense. Finally Rheingans hit a back suplex with a bridge for the pin. One, Two, Three! The match is over it’s a draw, a Draw? Yes! The referee is saying Rheingans shoulders were down. The fans boo and throw things into the ring as Saito walks away quickly from the ringside area. Stanley Blackburn comes out and says at the big show there will be a rematch of the match that we just had but it will be no draws and no time limit! He also makes the World Light Heavyweight title match between Mike Graham and Koko B. Ware. Jake Milligan was coming down to the ring when someone ran by him knocking him down and sliding into the ring, it’s a former AWA World Tag Team Champion.. but which one? Guess! Think for a second of who it could be. If you guessed Harley Race then you guessed right. Race got on the microphone and said that Bobby Hennan made an open challenge for Bruiser Brody and he came to accept, he doesn’t care if Brody is suspended! And that Hennan better find him an opponent who is just as big and as bad as Brody or Race will fight The Brain at the show! The Main Event wasn’t much to talk about as “Dr. D” Dave Schultz took on The Iron Sheik who had The Baron in his corner. Not to get away from the match but how come the face never needs a managers license but the heel does? Hmm that’s weird. Anyways The Iron Sheik wins the match with the Camel Clutch! Doesn’t look like The Baron is worried about Iron Sheik turning on him like Sheik Adnan said earlier. That’s it folks. Shows over. [B][COLOR="Yellow"]The End[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]AWA All Star Wrestling[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [I]Held in front of 4630 people at Clemens Stadium in MN Live on US Syndication Small II[/I] [QUOTE] [B][COLOR="Black"]The Start[/COLOR][/B] The show starts with Gene Okerlund and Rod Trongard hyping up the big end of the month event that was now just 2 days away! They said that there are very few seats available and if you want tickets you need to hurry up and buy. They also said that the show would be taped and sold on VHS in 2 months time so that if you can’t make it you should save up your money for the AWA April End Of The Month Event! The first match of the night saw Kenny Jay and Jake Milliman waiting in the middle of the ring and the first thought that pops into everyone’s head is… this is going to be good. But no it wasn’t good, not unless you are a sick demented pervert like most guys on this planet are. That’s because their opponents stepped out of the back and down the walkway with “Precious” Paul Ellering lead out his tag team, which came out with big black mask that looked like steel and spiked shoulder pads. Not even stopping for the fans, not to say nothing bad, not to pose for a picture The Road Warriors as they were announced just walked straight down to the ring and removed their helmets. Underneath those helmets were a sight that was just as scary, black paint filled their face with a little bit of red and yellow mixed in here and there. Facing each other with Ellering between Road Warrior Hawk and Road Warrior Animal as Trongard and Okerlund pronounced them took off their shoulder pads throwing them to the ground and went into the ring. Milliman and Jay didn’t stand a chance as the bell rung and Precious Paul made his way to the announcer’s table. He told Rod and Gene to watch this and didn’t say another word as the Road Warriors just destroyed the two weaker men with punches and kicks. Not even getting on the apron to tag in or out Road Warrior Animal lifted Kenny Jay to his shoulders and Hawk, the other Road Warrior went to the top rope and came down with a vicious looking clothesline knocking Jay right off the shoulders of his partner. “Doomsday” is what Paul yelled out as the move was being made. Paul said he hopes the High Flyers are watching as Animal pinned Kenny Jay with one foot on his chest. Fan favorite and residential Minnesota jobber Steve O came out next to a round of applause from a few people, there always seems to be a few in the crowd that cheer for this man. Maybe it’s his family, maybe its his friends, maybe its his stunning good looks. But probably not because if you look at his look stat in TEW it wasn’t that high, his opponent on the other hand, had everything the looks, the title and most importantly the brain. Bobby “The Brain” Hennan leads out the AWA World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel. The champion had little problem with Steve O as was expected and dominated the man from bell to bell. Bockwinkel hit the dreaded pile driver and if that wasn’t enough he locked on the Oriental Sleeper after. Steve O who was already knocked out from the pile driver didn’t even move when the Sleeper was locked on and the referee lifted up his arm as it dropped down three times to give good old Nick the victory. After the match had ended Bobby Hennan brought in an Indian Strap and Bockwinkel used it to whip his beaten and battered opponent. Gene Okerlund entered the ring and asked Bobby Hennan about what he thought about the challenge laid down by Harley Race 2 days ago in Nevada. Hennan says that he doesn’t care about Race and just for the record he has someone to face Race, someone who is even tougher then Bruiser Brody. He then goes on to say that what happened to night to Steve O is the same thing that is going to happen to Wahoo McDaniel in 2 days time. Hennan pause then looks back into the camera saying if Wahoo is man enough to show up. Steve Regal was the next one out and you just knew he was going to get crushed, no matter who he faced. When you saw his opponent you really knew he was going to get crushed. The Star Spangled Banner hit the arena and the fans cheered as Baron Van Raschke came out with The Iron Sheik behind him waving Old Glory. The Baron absolutely dominated the match, that was until Ken Patera slipped in the ring, The Iron Sheik got on the apron on the other side to stop him but the referee stopped him. Patera hit the swinging full nelson and got out of the ring. The Iron Sheik attacked him and they began to brawl on the outside. Regal went for the victory but some how The Baron kicked out. The Baron took control of the match for the rest way and finished it with The Claw. After the match The Baron had some words with The Iron Sheik but the camera didn’t pick up what they were. Kevin Kelly vs. Koko B. Ware was the next match and this match was just to let the people at home know that Koko B. Ware was going to be going for the AWA World Light Heavyweight belt. How do I know that? Because that’s all the announcers talked about. Koko gets the easy victory while only wasting about 5 minutes of time. The Main Event of the night took up the final 15 minutes of time and man was it worth it. The Japanese Import who was been getting a lot of time recently because of his impressive skill, Mr. Saito took on the man who made his debut two days earlier. Harley Race. Race and Saito worked the tradition slow AWA match with a lot of technical moves and punches. We also found out who Race’s opponent would be at the big show when Bobby Hennan brought out a monster of a man. Hennan gets on the Apron as the man steps over the top rope and throws Race into the ropes and then hits him with a heart punch. The man stops and poses in the middle of the ring and the fans boo. Okerlund recognizes him as Ox Baker! Saito rolls onto Race and the match is over, Saito rolls out of the ring and to the back as the show goes off the air with Bobby Hennan and Ox Baker celebrating over a fallen Race. [B][COLOR="White"]The Finish[/COLOR][/B] [/QUOTE][/CENTER]

Here is the card for the big show, hope you enjoy: [QUOTE][CENTER][B][SIZE="5"]AWA End Of The Month April Show[/SIZE][/B] [B]Matches: [/B] [COLOR="Red"]Special Attraction:[/COLOR] Midget Tag Team Match – Cowboy Lang and Tiger Jackson vs. Haiti Kid and Little Beaver The Road Warriors vs. The High Flyers – [COLOR="Red"]AWA World Tag Team Titles[/COLOR] Brad Rhenigans vs. Mr. Saito – [COLOR="Red"]No Time Limit, No Draws[/COLOR] Mike Graham vs. Koko B. Ware – [COLOR="Red"]AWA World Light Heavyweight Title[/COLOR] Harley Race vs. Ox Baker The Sheiks vs. The Real Americans Wahoo McDaniel vs. Nick Bockwinkel – [COLOR="Red"]AWA World Title Match, Indian Strap Match. [/COLOR][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Archived