DSE: A New Kind Of Wrestling Entertainment

[U][I]July 2005[/I][/U] This was easily the biggest night of my entire life. Yes, not just my career, but my LIFE. The arena was filed to capacity; 50,000 people at the very least, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to 75,000. The company had been preparing for this night for the last several months, carefully crafting every single storyline leading to this night, going over every single match in painful detail. There was a lot of pressure on everyone within the promotion, but none more than me. The [b]SWF[/b] had been facing stiff competition from [b]TCW[/b] for years, but in the last few months, Tommy's group had really stepped up their efforts to topple us. This show was intended to fend our competitors off for a while, maybe even knocking them down a peg, so of course they were counting on me. But I'm rambling and you all probably have no idea what I'm talking about. My name is Brandon House, but most people know me as The Franchise, and I was about to win the SWF World Heavyweight title from Runaway Train in the Main Event of the Supreme Challenge. That's some pressure huh? So I sat alone in the locker room, all the boys giving me my space as I went over the match in my mind, plotting how the match should go. One of the agents came over, I don't even remember who, and said...something. I'm not quite sure what he said because I was in the zone. Maybe something about keeping cool or baked goods or something like that. I dunno. I eventually stood up and made my way to the gorilla position, where Rich and Barry were, apparently waiting for me. It's nice to be loved. We went over the basics of the match once more before my music played. I walked through the curtains and was almost overwhelmed by the pop I received. Every single person in that arena was on their feet, cheering for me! Neat, huh? It's kinda funny how I got here considering I was just a 20 year old kid from Ohio. Some guys probably resented me in the back, but it was Boss Man Eisen's call that got me here. He signed me, called for me to get pushed, and made the decision to put the title on me. Like I'm -really- going to argue with him. Train's music began to play and the amount of heat on him was staggering. He might not be able to wrestle a lick, but the guy knew how to be hated. I knew that I didn't like him and the feeling was mutual, I just knew it. Anyways, Train entered the ring and the match was underway. It was really a blur for me; all I remember is winning the title and hearing one of the most deafening sustained cheers ever. I got that title and when I looked at the title in my hands, I damn near cried. It was the greatest night of my life, like a dream. I woke up the next night. [I][U]6 Months Later (January 2006)[/U][/I] "What do you mean 'you're not resigning'?!?" "You heard me, I'm not resigning. I need some time off to think, Richard." Rich was obviously not happy with my decision to resign. My contract was set to expire at the end of July, but considering I was the SWF World Champion, they of course wanted me to resign as early as possible. I wasn't going to do that; life at good ol' SWF had become just too taxing for me. Guys who I thought liked me were suddenly trying to get the title off me. My reign as champion so far had been...disappointing. It wasn't bad or anything, it just didn't make business explode for us like they thought it would. Because of that, the other main eventers were jockeying to get into the position of being the guy to defeat me. Richard Eisen:"Well, if you aren't gonna resign, then I want to get that title off you so we can get it on someone who'll be around for a while." Me:"I can understand that, Boss, but if I'm gonna drop the title, might as well make some money right? Besides, I have creative control." Rich:"....I'm listening." So I outlined my plan. I would be put up against the big names of the company, barely squeaking out wins, the announcers putting over the fact that it was only a matter of time before I finally lost the title, portraying me as a fighting champion who was giving it all. Then at this year's Supreme Challenge I would be destroyed by the guy they would be counting on to be -THE- guy for the promotion now that I was leaving. I mean, simply outclassed in every way. They'd write me out with the guy destroying me afterwards. Rich:"Remo, huh?" Me:"Yeah, Rich. I mean, Remo can be everything Runaway Train is now, will be around longer, and doesn't need to be carried everytime he steps into the ring." Rich:"Hmmm...All right." I admit to being slightly biased towards Remo. Remo and I entered training camp at the same time, trained and learned together, and went on the road together. When he was signed by SWF, I went to Japan to learn. When I came back, he was a big star and had gotten the company to take a look at me. Even though I was considered more talented than him, I always spoke with Remo after every match to get his opinion. I trusted Remo more than anyone. Anyways, I talked with Rich about a few more things. Mostly just opponents and things of that sort. Before I left, I agreed that I wouldn't join TCW and honestly, why would I? Everyone knew that it was just a vehicle to boost Tommy's ego. Either way, yeah I wasn't going there. When I left the office, I felt good that I was going to make Remo's career. Unfortunately, other forces were at work and I was nothing more than I lamb being led to slaughter. [U][i]January 2006 (SWF When Hell Freezes Over)[/i][/U] My first opponent on the road to my Supreme Challenge swansong was going to be my "good buddy" Runaway Train. I went into that night feeling like something was...off. Like something bad was going to happen. I shook it off as well as I could and got ready for the match. Train seemed distant, though that was to be expected since like I said, Train sucks and I hate him. I went over some last minute particulars with Rich and it was time for the match. The match went along ok, nothing really outstanding until out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rich. Why was he out there? At the time I had no idea, but it was his company so I guess he could walk out if he wanted. Little did I know that was the cue for Train to initiate their plan. Train suddenly stopped selling completely, acting like the match had never happened, then sucker punched me. I may have been able to work circles around him, but the sack of suck was certainly stronger than me. I don't really remember much after that since I was, uhh, unconscious. Apparently, I was pinned for the three count at which point Rich snatched the title from the timekeeper, handed it to Train and did his best impression of an Olympic sprinter. Train and the ref (I forget who) apparently didn't stay long either. When I finally regained my senses some hours later, I was in my hotel room. A call to Remo provided me with all the information I needed. Apparently I was persona non gratis in SWF and Remo was risking his job just talking to me. It's funny, I wasn't even all that angry at the time. I just remember saying to myself: Me:"Looks like my vacation is starting early."

[U][I]December 2006[/I][/U] The Wrestling Watcher [QUOTE][b][u]A New Challenger Appears?[/u][/b] The business group, BDM Industries, are apparently getting involved in the wrestling business by opening a new promotion, Dream Scape Entertainment. DSE CEO, Alexandra Wright claims that DSE "will change wrestling and sports-entertainment forever." My sources tell me that the promotion have already sent a number of big money, exclusive contracts to some notable indy talent. They have also announced a press conference will be held at the end of the month in which they will "answer all the questions".[/QUOTE]

[I][U]December 2006[/U][/I] 911Fever.com DSE Press Conference Report (Posted by Willy Wonka) [QUOTE] The press conference began with DSE CEO Alexandra Wright walking to the podium to thank us all for being there. She spoke about how pleased she was with the fledgling DSE, making the first of many big announcements by telling those in attendance that the promotion had acquired a 2 hour time slot Saturday nights on The King Of Sports Network. Their first show would be on the third week of January 2007 at 9:00 PM EST. She then went into detail about what was going to make DSE different from every other promotion on Earth, laying out a plan of making Sports-Entertainment 'more real' while providing people around the world with the same hard-hitting action offered by other companies. She said it would be wrestling and reality TV combined into a unique product. She spoke of having hidden cameras in the back and a ranking system and a system that would reward the best wrestlers with pay increases depending on their place in the rankings and which title they held. She also mentioned that this wouldn't be just a 'Men Only Club' and that some of the best women wrestlers in the world had been signed and would be mixing it up with the men as equals. When asked about who had signed a contract, she rattled off a list of workers who weren't exactly household names but had decent fanbases on the independent wrestling scene. Guys like Freddie Datsun, Jack Griffith, Darryl Devine, Bryan Holmes, Wanda Fish, Joanne Rodriguez, among others. She also said that one of the promotion's first signees was there and asked him to come out. It was at this point that former SWF World Heavyweight Champion, Brandon House stepped out to a large cheer from the fans in attendance. Ms. Wright then stepped aside as The Franchise began to speak. He started by reiterating what Ms. Wright said, that the company would be different from every other promotion around and that soon, Dream Scape Entertainment would be mentioned in the same breath as SWF and TCW. He started telling the people there a story about how much free time he had sitting at home and how he spent most of it watching wrestling tapes, since SWF had pretty much written him out. He then mentioned how everything sorta started to blend after a while. It was August by this point and his SWF contract had expired the month before. He was watching an old SWF show main evented by himself when he got a call from Ms. Wright. He was on board almost the exact moment he heard the idea for the promotion. Almost immediately, he was asked whether he bore a grudge against his former employer and hoped to take out SWF with another promotion. Jokingly, he said that if he wanted to kill SWF that he would have joined TCW or started hanging out with Nemesis so the two could be bitter together. He said that he didn't bear a grudge against them and that they would get what's coming to them in time. He then told a joke about how much Runaway Train sucked. Ms. Wright then stood back up and answered some business questions before thanking the people for coming and telling them to tune in for the premiere of DSE: World's Best on Saturday, January Week 3 on The King Of Sports Network at 9:00 PM[/QUOTE]

((Ok, going OOC for a moment to thank the people who are reading this diary for reading. Also, the ranking system most likely won't come into play until there's a world champion, though I am keeping tabs of winners and losers. If you readers have a question, then feel free to ask in this post and I'll be happy to answer.)) 911fever.com's DSE World's Best Report (by DJ Well) [QUOTE] All right folks, we've all seen the hype. We've seen the commercials during SWF's Supreme TV and TCW's Total Wrestling. We've heard the speeches, the declarations, and all the hoopla. Now it's time to see if the show is really going to revolutionize wrestling as we know it or just be another wrestling show on TV. This should be rather interesting, eh? We are LIVE from the Cincinnati Coliseum. Our announcers are [B]Steve Smith[/B], [B]Shane Sneer[/B], and [B]Sara Silver[/B]. -The show starts off with Ms. Wright in the production truck, watching the show, giving out orders to the crew. She has a big grin on her face and looks quite excited. Before we cut away, we see her leave the trunk, presumably heading to the ring. -We cut away to the ring where the ring announcer announces our first match of the night. I am excited just in case you can't tell. -[b]Trent Shaffer vs. Velocidad[/b] The announcers sound kinda nervous as they explain the rules to the people at home as best as they can as Trent Shaffer and Velocidad make their entrances to the ring. Velocidad's mask is pretty damn swank. Trent is simply hilarious with how over-the-top arrogant he seems. First thing I notice, Velocidad is FAST. He's like a freaking blur. The match is kinda awkward since no one in the crowd really knows who either of these guys are. The work is pretty good though. Trent ends this with his finisher, The Heart Burn at 7:56. Both of these guys are pretty rough as workers, but should improve in time. Not a terrible match, but not all that good either. It was pretty dead, reaction-wise as well. That certainly hurts things. [b]D-[/b] -Once Trent and Velocidad have left, we see Ms. Wright walking down the aisle to the ring, briefcase in hand, greeting the fans once she gets in the ring. She then announced that there will be an 8-man tournament for the vacant DSE King Of Dreams title which she then pulls out of the case. That's a nice looking title, I tell you what. Anyways, she goes over the 8 individuals who will be in the tourny, with the brackets appearing on the big screen. Here are the matches, just in case you wanna know. Jack Griffith vs. Johnny Martin Jack Marlowe vs. Bryan Holmes Freddie Datsun vs. Darryl Devine B. House vs. Wanda Fish She then tells us that the first two matches will take place...TONIGHT! Neato. -[b]Team No Fear vs. American Elemental and Masked Cougar[/b] Team No Fear consist of Bali So'oialo (who most puro fans will recognize as Samoan Machine) and Marcus Hughes (who most Coastal Zone fans will recognize as Marc Speed) doing an MMA inspired gimmick. American Elemental and Masked Cougar consist of...well, American Elemental and Masked Cougar. This match is pretty much a showcase for Team No Fear, showing how badass the two are, with Bali and Marcus taking turns dismantling the two high flyers. the match thankfully ends in 7:38 when Bali So'oialo chokes out Masked Cougar with a rear naked choke that Steve Smith calls the Unbreakable Sleeper. Post match, American Elemental and Masked Cougar are left down, throughly destroyed as Team No Fear are celebrating their win. I sense a beatdown. My sense proves correct as Team No Fear attacks, and beat both American Elemental and Masked Cougar into the canvas. Since people don't really care about either team yet, the post match beatdown was pretty flat. The match was fine for a squash, so I'll give the whole affair a [b]D-[/b]. -Thanks to the magic of the HIDDEN CAMERAS~! backstage, we see Ms. Wright talking to some guy. She calls him Cole so I assume that's his name. I must say Cole looks like the biggest tool I've ever seen in wrestling. Yes, more of a tool than the Minor Annoyance. Anyways, the two are talking about the tournament, Ms. Wright giddy over the ratings it's going to draw. Cole says something about Brandon House being a good pick for their first champion, however quickly changes his mind when he sees that his comment displeased Ms. Wright. Ms. Wright must like SWF. Anyways, she says that the blond and muscular Jack Griffith will be their first champion and that she would see that happen "by any means necessary." Wow, Ms. Wright is certainly an evil bitch. -[b]Mainstream Hernandez vs. Brady Prince[/b] One of these guys is one of the fastest rising young stars in recent history. The other hasn't been relevant for almost five years. I don't think the outcome here is really in doubt. On a side note, I love Mainstream Hernandez. Actually, the match is pretty competitive with Brady getting in some moves, but it's not enough as Mainstream puts Brady Down with an Apparition #14 in 9:51. Two more unknowns locking horns, getting a similar result as the previous matches. Decent ring work, but next to no heat. [b]D-[/b] -We cut to a hidden camera that picks up on Ms. Wright intently studying a backstage monitor, watching Mainstream celebrate his victory. Her smirk is really, really creepy. You can just tell that she sees money in Mainstream. I know I do. -Jack Griffith then brings the awesome as he cuts a promo in the ring where he taunts his first round opponent, Johnny Martin. It's official, Jack Griffith is YOUR new favorite wrestler. -[b]Jack Griffith vs. Johnny Martin[/b] Jack Griffith is awesomeness in a human form. I watched one of DAVE's shows from '97, back when Johnny was in his prime. It's sad watching him now with his body falling apart on him. You can see him trying hard to keep up with the healthier Jack Griffith though and I respect that. The match ends when Jack Griffith gets the rollup with the TIGHTS! in 12:51. The crowd gives Jack a hearty round of boos. That's the loudest they've been all night. Oh and this would be your match of the night. [b]C-[/b] -After the match, Jack Griffith celebrates, going completely over the top. The camera gets a good shot of Johnny Martin walking up the ramp, looking disappointed as Jack celebrates in the ring in the background. -[b]Nick Champion vs. Larry Wood[/b] Great moment when Larry Wood starts yelling gibberish at a kid in the first row and the kid starts crying. Now that's evil. Larry Wood reminds me of Wild Man Sullivan. That's probably intentional. Anyways, Nick Champion sucks. 'Nuff said. The match mercifully ends when Larry Wood gets DQ'ed for not listening to the ref in 5:31. Larry looks like he's not done though and continues beating down Nick, post match. Not a very good angle or match. Nick Champion really, really sucks. Really bad. It's probably not entirely his fault the match wasn't good, but I'm gonna blame him anyways. [b]E[/b] -A hidden camera backstage shows Jack Marlowe warming up when Brandon House comes in and tells him good luck out there tonight and that if the stuff hits the fan, he's got Marlowe's back. -[b]Jack Marlowe vs. Bryan Holmes[/b] Marlowe seems to have ditched the Wild Man gimmick he was using in Mexico and Japan, instead acting more like a generic badass. Bryan Holmes gets some decent heat. The same can't be said about Jack. The crowd is starting to get restless here, having sat for around two hours watching guys they've never seen or heard of before wrestle. This match isn't much different. Anyways, Jack gets the clean upset win in 22:31 after hitting Holmes with the Jack-Jammer. This was the second best match of the night. After the match, while Marlowe's celebrating Jack Griffith hits the ring and gets the jump on Marlowe. However, mid beating, Brandon House runs out and chases off Griffith, saving Marlowe from a vicious beating. The match gets a [b]D+[/b]. The post match angle was better. Quickly a hidden camera cuts to the production truck where Ms. Wright and Cole are seen talking backstage while watching Brandon help Marlowe to the backstage area. Ms. Wright looks pissed and her final words to Cole before the screen fades to black are chilling in the simplicity and delivery. "Make sure Brandon doesn't make it to his match next week." See? Evil Bitch. Final Rating: Well, they certainly didn't revolutionize wrestling on this night. The matches weren't all that good, but the angles and storylines are actually quite intriguing. There are a lot of net favorites on the show and most likely more to come. The show gets a thumbs down, but this shouldn't defer you from continuing to watch as they seem the have a definite direction they're going and that direction seems rather interesting. [b]D[/b][/QUOTE]

The Wrestling Watcher [QUOTE]Word from DSE is that the higher ups were not pleased with the quality of the World's Best debut. Though, financially, the show was successful, critically it was an unabashed failure. Sources say that if the next show also lacks in quality that the promotion will make some changes to their product to better suit the workers' capabilities.[/QUOTE]

Archived