TNA Match of Champions

flamebrain

[SIZE="6"]I shall call SPOILERS!!! just in case...[/SIZE] Still here? TNA is going to have its match of champions at VR. The TNA Champ and X Division Champ team up to take on the Tag Champs. Now that they've hot shotted the X Division title to Joe it Angle and Joe v Team 3D. Now nobody can seriously think the duds are winning so is this just Russo's love of wacky tag champs who hate each other? Should Joe be holding the X Title again? Can the X-Division be buried any more since Joe is in the main event picture now? Does anyone really like what they are doing here? And, if so, why? One other thing will TNA screw their own rules and have some nonsense where Joe or Angle pin one another? I know its a long shot but I just can't rule such idiocy out.

Wait you mean like a Shawn Michaels - John Cena thing? Joe doesn't need the X Division belt, what's the point in building Jay Lethal up if you are gonna make him lose. So messed up. This is why I hate TNA right now. They keep shooting themselves in the feet.

Actually, I watched the show and if Joe or Angle wins they get to pick their tag team partner. So this won't be one of those "Tommy Dreamer/Raven-sworn-enemies-as-tag-champs" kind of deals. Unless of course Joe wins and picks Angle so he can "keep an eye on him grrrrr." I think its all a horrible idea. Angle/Joe is a good enough rivalry that TNA didn't need to gimmick it up. And this angle will damage both the tag AND X division in one fell swoop.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;248187]Actually, I watched the show and if Joe or Angle wins they get to pick their tag team partner. So this won't be one of those "Tommy Dreamer/Raven-sworn-enemies-as-tag-champs" kind of deals.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I just assumed that they would be picking one another. They could maybe switch the tag belts onto someone else before the match to add a bit more interest and the faint possibility of the tag team champs winning but it doesn't seem likely.

I don't see how this buries the X Division The champion of the X Division is in the Main Event of a PPV. In my dream world Joe would hold the belt until BFG and he would face Angle in Champion vs. Champion...Belt vs. Belt match at Bound For Glory 3.

Aside from the champ losing his belt instantly, all they've done is prove Kevin Nash right by showing that any time one of the "big guns" feels like it, they could pop down to the X division and take the title away. We all know Joe is good, the X-Division title needs to be more than a prop to get him into a PPV main event.

If Joe holds the belt until BFG and has a Title vs. Title match with Angle and wins the belt the he would relinquish the X title and it would be decided in a tournament...that would bring a lot of credibility to the X Division in my book.

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;248217]If Joe holds the belt until BFG and has a Title vs. Title match with Angle and wins the belt the he would relinquish the X title and it would be decided in a tournament...that would bring a lot of credibility to the X Division in my book.[/QUOTE] And they would need that credibility after having nothing to do except job to Joe in the meantime. Match stip aside there is no reason for Joe to hold the belt again in my opinion.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;248220]And they would need that credibility after having nothing to do except job to Joe in the meantime. Match stip aside there is no reason for Joe to hold the belt again in my opinion.[/QUOTE]There's only three more PPV's before BFG3...we know Joe will be in the tag match this month...he would only have to defend the belt two times and then face Angle...so he wouldn't have to go through the entire division.

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;248217]If Joe holds the belt until BFG and has a Title vs. Title match with Angle and wins the belt the he would relinquish the X title and it would be decided in a tournament...that would bring a lot of credibility to the X Division in my book.[/QUOTE] Joe gives the title credibility (maybe) because he's Joe and he's in the main event. But when he drops it none of the other X-Division stars have the credibility to hold it because they've treated them like crap. They gave the title to Lethal who the fan's a squarely behind with his Black Machismo gimmick and then they took the title away from him in his first match. he's now a joke champion. They seriously dropped the ball on this one just to get Joe into a match with Angle at victory road thus proving at least to me they don't give a rats ass about the X-Division title. Personally I would have liked to see a long run of Jay Lethal as Champion. Now the titles that ahven't been mentioned are the tag team titles. Because we al know the Team 3D aren't going to win. It looks like with Konan gone they aren't going to be using LAX any more. AMW is dead, Steiner is injured and with VKM feuding with Bashan and Damaga they've got no teams for Team 3D to face off against. So what's going to happen is either Joe or Angle will win the titles and then all we'll see is both of them pick partners and they'll fight over all three damn titles by themselves. Now I like TNA and I've hardly ever posted my opinion about wrestling promotiosn here. But I think this is probably one of the stupidest things TNA could have ever done. FThey should build or bring in some new teams, and by new I don't mean teams from other promotions I mean make some fresh teams. Let the X-Division stars run with the X-Division title and for Christ sakes I think Joe versus Angle are great matches just the build ups to them are the silliest things and they seem to have no point. There is no need to gimmick up what could be a great pure wrestling feud between two of the best in the business.

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;248200]I don't see how this buries the X Division The champion of the X Division is in the Main Event of a PPV. [/QUOTE] flamebrain and apupu have touched on this already, but the reason is this: -For the better part of the company's history the X Division was TNA's biggest selling point. You could argue that the top three matches in company history were X Division matches. X Division title matches consistently headlined PPVs -In the past eight months or so, the divission has been totally de-emphasized: title matches were shorter and shorter, fewer X Division matches were held on TV and PPV, and the guys in the X Division were put into skits to 'develop character' instead of showing off what made them so special. In other words, two years ago if you had compared the X division to the WWE cruisers, it wasn't even close. It was a slaughter. The X division guys were putting on spectacular matches and they were the stars of the show. Now...the X Division is still better, but not by much. Anyways.... -After the first lengthy, well booked X division feud since Russo came aboard, Jay Lethal won the belt in a shortish match in one of the opening matches on a PPV. He then drops it the next show to a guy who hasn't been in the X Division in months to further a storyline that will be centered around the world title. And if Joe wins the belt, it will again be dropped because its not as important. And while he holds the title, he'll probably squash his X Division opponents. And when he loses it, whoever wins it will go back to curtain jerking for the company, even as the X division champion. The whole thing comes off as making it seem as though the X Division guys are not in the same class as the World Title contenders and are really no competition whatsoever. Which, if you look where the company came from and how it got noticed by most fans, is truly pathetic.

If Christian and AJ or some team along those lines take the tag titles it will at least make the match more intruiging to me as there is the possibility of one of them winning. But doing that will, in my opinion, have the same effect on the tag division as Joe taking the X-Title.

TNA seems to make it a habit to crown a new x champ only to have them lose when in the first week or days of winning it. Remember when Sabin beat senshi only to lose to AJ who lost to Daniels all within 2 weeks....... and now this. Reminds of the WCW hot potato game they played with the titles.

[QUOTE=Franchise22;249270]TNA seems to make it a habit to crown a new x champ only to have them lose when in the first week or days of winning it. Remember when Sabin beat senshi only to lose to AJ who lost to Daniels all within 2 weeks....... and now this. Reminds of the WCW hot potato game they played with the titles.[/QUOTE] I can see the hot potato thing. Toss. Toss. Toss. Toss. Muscle Buster. Everyone who tossed standing around pointing and laughing. "Haha. You lost!"

Archived